PDA

View Full Version : Join League to avoid Cavalry Spamming

Olorin I
05-05-2005, 13:36
I think that most of us who play multiplayer frequently (I do so, but under another name, this being my ‘nom de plume’) can agree that the cavalry spam is the single most aggravating tactic used by players of mid-level tactical experience and/or skill. Many have made differing suggestions on how to address this problem. All of these suggestions have merit and all have drawbacks. I have found that a combination of limiting Denarii and placing a numerical ceiling on the number of cavalry units per army works best - for me. I have played relatively good games with Denarii as high as 20,000 in this manner, though I prefer less.

My reason for posting is to encourage “multiplayers” to join the TWL ladders for RTW (they currently have a 1vs1 and a 2vs2 ladder). TWL has rules in place that are fairly straight-forward and they have recently adopted a rule designed to eliminate cavalry spamming (with the exception of those who elect to use one of 3 ‘horse’ factions – Scythia, Armenia, and Parthia). The rule limits the number of cavalry units per army/player and I have found that it works fairly well. 1vs1 TWL matches are played at the level of 20,00 Denarii and 2vs2 are ALSO played at 20,000 Denarii! Although it seems strange, I have found that it makes play more interesting as a player cannot adopt a single faction/unit selection strategy – you are forced to have at least 2 strategies!

The mechanical functioning of the ladder is excellent. Once a challenge is issued, the challenged party has 48 hours to respond. In order to respond, the challenged party must propose two differing dates/times for the match to take place from a long list provided by the TWL interface. Players may freely agree to times and dates that are different than those on the list by posting such agreements in a “match communication” message board that is automatically created upon the institution of any challenge. Most importantly, the administration of the ladder is responsive and reasonable. Forfeits are processed promptly and fairly. If, on the other hand, you have a good reason to have missed a match and if you were prompt in posting that reason in the “match communications” panel, you will most likely be afforded the opportunity to re-schedule.

In short, one of the, most effective strategies that we can employ to reduce cavalry spamming is to stop playing with spammers! Since we all want to continue to play the game, one way to avoid the spammers is to join a league that bans that type of play. It is not a perfect ban --- but it has proven highly effective to date. I suggest that individuals and clans/teams join TWL. The more people who play there, the more people will put up “practice games” in the lobbies of RTW with TWL rules. The more of these games that are hosted, the fewer will be the opportunities for cavalry spammer to ply their stock and trade. I find myself doing it all the time now when I host. As more people sign on, the opportunity for cavalry spamming should be proportionately reduced. My suggestion, therefore – join TWL. You will find competition and some relief from mindless tactics. Here is the TWL site address:

http://www.teamwarfare.com/

Olorin I

SwordsMaster
05-05-2005, 14:10
I wonder why is everyone so upset with cavalry spamming. I mean, if you can have an "all hoplite" army to counteract that, form them in circle and keep them coming.....

Olorin I
05-05-2005, 14:42
You do not understand, perhaps, because you are not looking at the matter from a more global perspective. The issue is not about crafting counter spam to offset the effect of the initial spam. The issue is not about winning or losing a particular game. Rather, the issue is about promoting more balanced unit selection. More balance in unit selection leads, in turn, to a more enjoyable game where planning, thought and tactical skill play larger roles than a somewhat flawed game battle resolution engine.

If all you want out of the game is to win more matches than you lose, then cavalry spamming is not an issue for you. Grab some Armoured and Spartan Hoplites and slaughter some horseflesh. However, for those of us who aspire to a more complex level of play, a level of play well within the reach of this game as it is currently configured, then reducing cavalry spamming is an issue.

Different strokes for different folks. However, since it is not an issue for you, then please consider joining TWL anyway. The more players that sign up and begin playing, the more active and competitive the league will become. More activity + more competition = greater game satisfaction.

Olorin I

Dutch_guy
05-05-2005, 14:46
well I really don't like those all hoplites / cretan archers army's either.
especially if hoplites means all spartans , and if they are deployed in a circel with the archer unitas in the middle.
It's just too hard to break through with an well picked balanced army.
especially since they won't move.

Olorin I
05-05-2005, 18:00
While a discussion of spamming is certainly not off-topic for this thread, please try to recall that the central purpose of this thread was to propose that people join a league (TWL) that regulates cav spamming. This, inturn, is designed to promote more opportunites for everyone to find opponents/games that regulate cav in a simialr or other reasonable manner.

Olorin I

SwordsMaster
05-05-2005, 18:14
You do not understand, perhaps, because you are not looking at the matter from a more global perspective. The issue is not about crafting counter spam to offset the effect of the initial spam. The issue is not about winning or losing a particular game. Rather, the issue is about promoting more balanced unit selection. More balance in unit selection leads, in turn, to a more enjoyable game where planning, thought and tactical skill play larger roles than a somewhat flawed game battle resolution engine.

If all you want out of the game is to win more matches than you lose, then cavalry spamming is not an issue for you. Grab some Armoured and Spartan Hoplites and slaughter some horseflesh. However, for those of us who aspire to a more complex level of play, a level of play well within the reach of this game as it is currently configured, then reducing cavalry spamming is an issue.

Different strokes for different folks. However, since it is not an issue for you, then please consider joining TWL anyway. The more players that sign up and begin playing, the more active and competitive the league will become. More activity + more competition = greater game satisfaction.

Olorin I

Thats ok with me, I still play MP shoggy ~;) , I dont really play RTW over the net as Ive got a few mods installed and im messing with models as well. I was just seeing as there is lots of people who complain about cav spamming, and from my point of view, if someone has some skill commanding cavalry, then why not allow him t do so?

After all what you want from a MP game is a challenge.
Of course, if all the other player does is send all of his cavalry in one single suicide charge and no imagination, then, of course it doesnt get too interesting....

Rodion Romanovich
05-05-2005, 18:26
I've found the best way to get a balanced game is to open a 1vs1, large units, 15k and no rules. Spammers have learnt by now that spamming only makes them lose, so the last time I tried this and played 5 battles not a single one was spamming. Then I joined some servers with rules etc. and there I saw more spam than anywhere else. Often those "rule guys" just pick rules that'll make ONE faction overpowered compared to the others, then pick that faction themselves. If you limit cavalry to 5 units for all factions but cavalry factions, then greece becomes overpowered. If you limit artillery then greece and parthia become overpowered. If you limit eles rome, germania, macedon becomes overpowered and carthage becomes underpowered. If you limit chariots, then pontus become underpowered and macedon, seleucids and romans become overpowered. If you limit number of units of same type, phalanx faction become underpowered because they need at least 8-10 units to make a good phalanx line. Etc. etc. If you choose "no rules" and bring a balanced all-round army you really shouldn't have any problems with any excessive-use-of-one-unit/unit-type spam. I don't have any problems winning over them, especially not the latest games I've played. And if the spammers lose, they'll either stop playing the game or stop playing the game that way, and then the result is that everyone can play serious games with balanced armies.