PDA

View Full Version : Rtr Mp ?

Dutch_guy
05-06-2005, 15:46
I was wondering if you guy's play online with the RTR mod, well because I'm thinking to do just that.
I mean can you get good games, do a lot of people do it... can you even play online with RTR ?

~:cheers:

NihilisticCow
05-06-2005, 16:10
Yes, you can play RTR online. No, there aren't many people who do regularly - the best thing to do is to arrange games with people to play. (You could try asking in the lobby, but you're unlikely to be that successful in finding people).

One thing though is that you seem to need to keep deleting the two map.rwm files in between games to avoid getting incompatible data that prevents you from joining a game. There is a batch file called RTR-Patcher.bat in your RTR directory that deletes the two files (they will be auto-generated again when you start a new game) so I tend keep a shortcut to that on my desktop and alt-tab out between games and run it.

BTW, I don't tend to play campaigns much so I have no real idea whether deleting these files might break your saves... You could just back them up the first time to be safe.

And before you ask, no I don't know what this file is actually meant to be for.

As a side note, I have thought that maybe setting up some kind of ladder for RTR games may be a way of playing them more often, since you would be challenging and arranging to play games with more people who you don't necessarily know.

Wishazu
05-06-2005, 23:15
me and nihilist have played a bit of rtr multiplayer over the last week or so and personally i think its more fun than rtw. maybe you should play with us dutch_guy :) and if your interested our clan is currently looking for new members... ~;) btw, deleting the map.rwm file does not effect saves, my campaign is still running perfectly, except for some traitorous Britons *grumbles......*

Rodion Romanovich
05-07-2005, 14:50
If it's any help I'll probably play EB much online when it comes. I haven't bothered installing RTR though.

Dutch_guy
05-07-2005, 18:15
One thing though is that you seem to need to keep deleting the two map.rwm files in between games to avoid getting incompatible data that prevents you from joining a game. There is a batch file called RTR-Patcher.bat in your RTR directory that deletes the two files (they will be auto-generated again when you start a new game) so I tend keep a shortcut to that on my desktop and alt-tab out between games and run it.

hmm, I can't seem to find that patcher.bat and I thought that there was only 1 map.rwm file, or do you mean that my partner has to do that too ?

And Wishazu would be cool if we could play MP RTR games, have to make it work first though ~:)

:balloon2:

NihilisticCow
05-07-2005, 23:03
The file is called RTR-patcher.bat (at least in 5.4.1)

I have two map.rwm files in my RTR directory (both seem to need to be deleted) they are:
Data\world\maps\campaign\rome_total_realism\map.rwm
Data\world\maps\base\map.rwm

And yes, all the people playing the game must delete these files aswell (if they already existed).

Wishazu
05-08-2005, 03:09
Dutch_Guy, are you currently a member of a clan? if not come visit our forums as we are currently recruiting. :)

Dutch_guy
05-08-2005, 19:30
thanks for your help guy's it works great now : )

And no I am not part of any clan at all , so I'll definatley check out your forum in the next couple of days !

:balloon2:

Wishazu
05-08-2005, 19:39
cool mate, we look forward to hearing from ya ~D

RabidGibbon
05-09-2005, 12:43
I haven't touched vanilla except for multiplayer since downloading R:TR. It beats previous human acheivements like the Wheel and Sliced Bread hands down, and I'd definetly be up for some multiplayer games.

Perhaps we could arrange some times on this thread when everyone interested could meet up for a game?

Beefy
05-09-2005, 15:32
yes RTR is very fun for multiplayer. There is never anybody on so as nihilst said, you gotta arrange to play it.

If you wanna game, just give us a bell on our forums, check my sig for the link.