PDA

View Full Version : Ranged Units

ShadesWolf
05-06-2005, 18:26
Thi scan be a thread to chat about what ranged unit to include.

My suggestions as a starter are

Longbow
- Levy Longbow
- 14th Retinue Longbow
- 15th Retinue Longbow

- Burgundian Longbow (Mid to Late 15th)
- Franc Archer (Mid to Late 15th)
- Scottish Archers

Crossbows and arbs

Genoese Crossbowmen
Gascon Crossbowmen
Flemish Crossbowmen
General Crossbowmen

Above with Pavise
Arbs above with and without Pavise

(This is a lot of Crossbows)

Handgunners

Dont have to expand this one I think

Duke Malcolm
05-06-2005, 18:38
Perhaps Welsh Longbowmen can be mercenaries

Sauron the Great
05-06-2005, 22:10
The Longbowmen the Burgundians deployed in their armies during the 15th century were predominately Englishmen. Perhaps instead of a trainable Burgundian Longbowman unit, have English Mercenaries which would be in abundance in the Burgundian provinces above anywhere else.

ShadesWolf
05-07-2005, 07:43
yes I have no problem with that concept.

Therefore I think that they should be a rentinue longbowmen. (15th century version)

Sauron the Great
05-07-2005, 09:21
Thats the best option. Like you said in one of your earlier posts there were no levies deployed in France so any mercenaries from England would be from the retinues. Whats your idea for the two different retained longbowmen units (i.e 14th and 15th), better armour, moral more or less numbers? I think its a good idea as the longbowman did change quite a bit over the two centuries

ShadesWolf
05-07-2005, 09:51
The first concept was just to have a different looking unit. With a differnt uniform. I thought about having a Levy unit for both periods, but then decided against it, as I could not see any benefits

This also gives us the ability to make it a more powerful unit. It also allows for a smaller unit, as the battles from 1380 onwards were with smaller armies. (as a result of the plague)

The same unit could also be used by France and Burgundy and hence they would not a able to get it unit maybe 1400. I still feel we might need to have another unit which is only availalbe as a Merc. This then would mean that the Franc archers and Burgundian Longbow men could be held back until say 1440 ish . Hence they would not be available as a French unit in the Azincourt battles