PDA

View Full Version : Cultural enrichment in action

Fragony
05-07-2005, 10:35
http://www.washingtonblade.com/blog/index.cfm?blog_id=523

Of course no arrests but that is normal when the culprits are from the sandlands.

Ser Clegane
05-07-2005, 12:10
http://www.washingtonblade.com/blog/index.cfm?blog_id=523

Of course no arrests but that is normal when the culprits are from the sandlands.

Where exactly does your conclusion come from that the police treated this case differnetly because the "culprits are from the sandlands" (as you so charmingly put it)?

The blog entry says nothing that leads to such a conclusion - actually it does not even mention that no arrests have been made.
The author says only the following:

I filed formal charges with the police, who had come to the scene quickly, though I have little hope our attackers will ever be identified.

If I posted some article about a person being beaten up by a person who is not from the "sandlands" would that serve as evidence that the police is more lenient with towards "white" people?

Beirut
05-07-2005, 12:13
Reprehensible in the extreme.

In Montreal, the nearest major city to me, there was a spat of gay bar attacks by skinheads a few years back. These malevolent little Nazi losers would rush into a gay bar in packs of a dozen or more, hit people, break things, cause great fear and chaos and then retreat to beneath the rocks from whence they came.

Although I grew up with a gay brother and knew many, many gay men, and considered many of them as close and trusted friends of mine, I never got used to seeing them kiss in public (which I almost never saw to be honest). When I do see gay men kissing in public, though I have as liberal an attitude as anyone could have, my first thought is "get a room you shmucks".

This, however, is the limit of my "hostility". If I saw a gay man being attacked, I would immediately stand by his side and enunciate to the attackers, Kennedy-esque, "Ich bin ein homosexual!" (And hopeful my brother's ex would be there. He was in the Marines and would be quite a handful in a scrap.)

Fragony
05-07-2005, 12:31
Where exactly does your conclusion come from that the police treated this case differnetly because the "culprits are from the sandlands" (as you so charmingly put it)?

Because it works that way in lalaland.

The author clearly mentions it here : 'The man, who looked in his 20s, had Moroccan features and spoke with a heavy accent, murmured something about "fucking fags."

But really, when isn't it one of those.

Ser Clegane
05-07-2005, 12:38

Because it works that way in lalaland.

The author clearly mentions it here : 'The man, who looked in his 20s, had Moroccan features and spoke with a heavy accent, murmured something about "fucking fags."

I was aware of the part you quoted - maybe I should rephrase what I meant.

What would the police have done differently had this one guy the blogger described not been of North African origin?

Fragony
05-07-2005, 12:42
What would the police have done differently had this one guy the blogger described not been of North African origin?

Well they would have arrested them. Or at least they would have tried.

BDC
05-07-2005, 12:45
Lots of issues come from intolerent bigots who come from abroad. Wasn't some Islamic film maker killed recently for a movie about violence towards women in Arabia?

Ser Clegane
05-07-2005, 12:54
Or at least they would have tried.

How do you know they didn't in this case?

Fragony
05-07-2005, 12:59
How do you know they didn't in this case?

Because they never do, doh ~D

Dutch police is only interested in softening up the sitution rather then solving crime, if they arrest one of them there are immediatly riots (where there are also never arrests mind you), and riots cost more money then they can make with parking tickets and cycling fragony's.

JAG
05-07-2005, 15:22
Frag - it is quite clear you are doing what many extremists do in terms of racial minorities and seeing what you want to see and not the facts. Nowhere is it written and nowhere is it implied - as Ser has stated - that these people have been treated differently because of their skin colour and ethnic background. In fact from the blog he states clearly how the police were very good with him and dealt with it well, if they don't care if people are gay, why would they care if the culprits were brown skinned? It doesn't make sense.

I am sure you could find a similar situation where white people did a crime such as this but were unable to be found and identified. OMG! White people get away with it!!!!!!!!!111111one

PanzerJaeger
05-07-2005, 22:11
Well i tried to read through the article but i stopped when it got to all the nasty queer stuff. Why does telling his story require him to list all the lovely things he does with his boy friend?

It seems many gay people want to flaunt their lifestyle in the faces of everyone simply to be different. It makes it hard to feel sorry for them, although no one deserves to be beat up like that.

Meneldil
05-07-2005, 22:22
Lots of issues come from intolerent bigots who come from abroad. Wasn't some Islamic film maker killed recently for a movie about violence towards women in Arabia?

Actually, he wasn't Islamic, but the grand grand son of a well known dutch painter whose I don't remember the name.

And yes, muslims seem to be forgiven more easily than white people, because as soon as you arrest a muslim for a 'minor thing', you're sure that you'll be called a racist, or even a neo-nazi or a fascist by all the left wing extremists and by all the muslim population. That's what happens in France at least.

Don Corleone
05-07-2005, 22:24
And yes, muslims seem to be forgiven more easily than white people, because as soon as you arrest a muslim for a 'minor thing', you're sure that you'll be called a racist, or even a neo-nazi or a fascist by all the left wing extremists and by all the muslim population. That's what happens in France at least.

You racist!!!

Just kidding. I don't think our cops are afraid to arrest anyone. They get called racist and Neo-Nazi no matter who they arrest, so they just don't worry about it.

Productivity
05-08-2005, 01:49
I'm failing to see how this shows anything other than a lack of evidence caused it not to be taken forwards. Hardly uncommon anywhere really.

Don Corleone
05-08-2005, 01:59
I was actually more struck by the fact that a bunch of people stood by and watched the beating take place. In America, that's illegal and the witnesses who didn't offer aid would have been arrested (in some jurisdictions at least).

Productivity
05-08-2005, 02:02
I was actually more struck by the fact that a bunch of people stood by and watched the beating take place. In America, that's illegal and the witnesses who didn't offer aid would have been arrested (in some jurisdictions at least).

Are there any limitations to this? Are you legally obliged to jump in to a gunfight even if you are unarmed??

Don Corleone
05-08-2005, 02:05
No. You're required to render what aid you safely can. You are not required to put yourself at risk. I'm not saying they themselves should have gone mano-a-mano with the attackers, but they could have shielded the poor guy, or gotten descriptions or any of a bunch of other options. Instead, they just munched their popcorn and watched these two poor guys get their asses kicked. And Adrian wants to tell me that Amsterdam is such a warm cheery place.

Crazed Rabbit
05-08-2005, 03:51
Frag - it is quite clear you are doing what many extremists do in terms of racial minorities and seeing what you want to see and not the facts. Nowhere is it written and nowhere is it implied - as Ser has stated - that these people have been treated differently because of their skin colour and ethnic background. In fact from the blog he states clearly how the police were very good with him and dealt with it well, if they don't care if people are gay, why would they care if the culprits were brown skinned? It doesn't make sense.

I don't think Frag's point is that the police are racist - its that over sensitivity to whoever cries the loudest has caused them to be ineffective.

Crazed Rabbit

bmolsson
05-08-2005, 06:13
Aha, this is why people needs to carry guns in US. If you are gay you would need a semi automatic with you when you visit a bar or a restaurant. Sort of makes sense I guess......... ~;)

Adrian II
05-08-2005, 13:10
I was actually more struck by the fact that a bunch of people stood by and watched the beating take place. In America, that's illegal and the witnesses who didn't offer aid would have been arrested (in some jurisdictions at least).Bystanders anywhere in the world wouldn't run into a chaotic fight involving 7 street thugs from the moment they saw it. And as the guy says: 'just as quickly as it began, it was over.' And where the force of legislation is concerned, he also states this: 'Of course we all know that we cannot legislate away the hate some people feel about us for openly and honestly living our lives.'

It seems he has drawn the only right conclusion from the incident. And I never suggested that Amsterdam was crime-free for 24 hours a day the whole year round, Don Corleone. Don't put words into my mouth please.

ICantSpellDawg
05-08-2005, 13:54
Bystanders anywhere in the world wouldn't run into a chaotic fight involving 7 street thugs from the moment they saw it. And as the guy says: 'just as quickly as it began, it was over.' And where the force of legislation is concerned, he also states this: 'Of course we all know that we cannot legislate away the hate some people feel about us for openly and honestly living our lives.'

It seems he has drawn the only right conclusion from the incident. And I never suggested that Amsterdam was crime-free for 24 hours a day the whole year round, Don Corleone. Don't put words into my mouth please.

that editor is a total jerk anyway
ive read the column

no one should be beaten for anything in a civilized country
but you have to be realistic

if someone spits on you in a foreign country - you have to realize that they have already made a decision to infringe on your personal liberties
you have a few choices -
1)keep walking and ignore it
2)stop and bring up issue with it

number 1 might let you get away with it and have it blow over

number 2 will almost CERTAINLY bring harm to you

your decision

i personally disagree with that guy on every position he has - and i think that his entire perception of "civil rights" issues are based on a faulty understanding of reality and the nature of homosexuality. and i think that he is a perv. but only from reading the rest of his blog

but im not sure what i would have done in his situation - even defending some positions of mine that may in fact turn out to be the wrong ones

standing up for yourself is commendable

Fragony
05-09-2005, 08:52
Frag - it is quite clear you are doing what many extremists do in terms of racial minorities and seeing what you want to see and not the facts.

Actually the people you are describing see a lot of what they don't want to see ~;)

Al Khalifah
05-09-2005, 14:30
Ooo... standing up for yourself in modern western society. Trust me, from personal experience this is a very bad idea. When some idiot approached me with a flick knife and demanded my wallet, I did what I've always been told to do. Offer the wallet, but drop it on the floor at a distance in front of you in a way that looks accidental. Like a chump the guy went to pick it up, completely forgetting his situation so I kicked him in the face as hard as I could summon the strength to, grabbed the knife, locked him in a arm hold and got someone nearby to call the police.

BIG MISTAKE. The Police told me that I was likely to be charged for breaking the guys nose and allegedly nearly breaking his arm by using a "non-regulation" arm hold. So for following a standard procedure and slighty wounding someone I get in trouble? Correct me if I'm wrong but this guy was threatening to kill me unless I abided by his wishes.

Moral of the story: don't stand up for yourself. Give in or you will get in trouble.

Fortunately I wasn't charged because they found traces of crack in the guy's bloodstream. Whatever difference that made, I have no idea.

English assassin
05-09-2005, 15:27
yeah well that was a completely stupid thing to do wasn't it? You should make sure everyone calls you "24 hour Snake" rather than your real name, drive a car on fake plates with no insurance or MOT (no need to pass a test of course) and obviously never ever go on the electoral roll or pay any taxes.

The police won't be charging you with anything then. Too much like hard work.

Yesterday I was literally two feet from being killed, along with my two children, when some dick head decided to ignore pedestrian lights and gun his car through a crossing. But the only time I have seen traffic cops in London in the past five years or so was when they were pulling over cyclists for going through a red in Regent's park. So much easier to get the nice middle class cyclists who give their real addresses than Mr Psycho Smalldick in his car, why, I should think in an hour they must have caught a dozen "criminals".

Goofball
05-10-2005, 22:40
Lots of issues come from intolerent bigots who come from abroad.

And lots of issues come from intolerant homegrown bigots:

Krypta
05-11-2005, 01:05

Seinfeld anyone ? ~D

Papewaio
05-11-2005, 03:27
BIG MISTAKE. The Police told me that I was likely to be charged for breaking the guys nose and allegedly nearly breaking his arm by using a "non-regulation" arm hold. So for following a standard procedure and slighty wounding someone I get in trouble? Correct me if I'm wrong but this guy was threatening to kill me unless I abided by his wishes.

Moral of the story: don't stand up for yourself. Give in or you will get in trouble.

Actually moral to the story is that you say to the police "He threatened me with the knife, I dropped my wallet, he then tried to slash me with the knife and I had to defend myself...

Fragony
05-11-2005, 09:55
And lots of issues come from intolerant homegrown bigots:

Ya that was it, I forgot. I assaulted him, somehow I must have blocked that out.