PDA

View Full Version : Someone stole our votes say BBC celebs

ShadesWolf
05-07-2005, 12:20
I think we should all call for a recount - This has been an election of fraud ~;)

BBC presenter John Humphrys was unable to vote in the General Election because someone applied for a postal ballot in his name, it was revealed today.
The Radio 4 Today host was barred from the polling booth when he tried to cast his vote.

Humphrys, known for his "rottweiler" style of interviewing political leaders, said: "I, for the first time in my life, was denied a vote yesterday.

"I was unable to vote because somebody had put in apparently, allegedly, an application for a postal ballot on my behalf."

Speaking on the Today programme this morning, he said: "I certainly didn't. I hate postal voting unless you've absolutely no choice."

Humphrys said that what happened was "disgraceful".

He made the remarks while interviewing Chairman of the Electoral Commission Sam Younger.

"I went along to cast my ballot and took my little boy to show him how democracy works in action and what happened? I couldn't vote," he said.

"They said you've already voted. I hadn't already voted. But the very fact of applying, even though I hadn't personally applied for a postal ballot, meant the presumption that I had voted. Disgraceful.My vote was stolen!"

Following Humphrys' comments, TV presenter Mariella Frostrup telephoned Today to say a similar thing had happened to her.

She was told at the polling station that she had been sent a postal vote and would not be allowed to vote again.

She said: "I set off with my nine-month-old daughter, showing her what democracy was all about ... I was told that I was registered as a postal voter.

"There was a line through my name, so I couldn't be allowed a ballot paper.

"That was that, I stood there arguing, they gave me a number to call.

"I was apoplectic as you can imagine. I still don't understand how it happened. I had to walk away without voting."

Their comments come as election watchdogs demanded new safeguards to stop voter fraud.

The Electoral Commission said public confidence in the voting system had been undermined by problems with postal fraud.

The Government has come under fire for not implementing the commission's recommendations of tougher measures to protect the postal voting system.

BDC
05-07-2005, 12:23
Yeah, is a bit stupid. Ah well. At least the government is much more healthy now, so no one will moan too much.

Although the Tory woman who got in here should probably be investigated for lying. She came to my school, and claimed to have 'nursed her husband through a terminal illness' and her 'three children were about our age and at university' despite her card saying she lived with her husband and four children. Dumb woman.

zelda12
05-07-2005, 13:49
:laugh4: I have a feeling this is a joke. If it isn't then its not too worrying, most likely a person with the same name voted for them and becuase of teething issues in the system one thing led to another.

JAG
05-07-2005, 15:13
Well if it is true - which I would expect it to be, no reason for them to lie like this - then it is disturbing. I still back postal voting but we do need to sort it out before we impliment it so widely.

Devastatin Dave
05-07-2005, 19:29
Wow, looks like liberals celebrities on the other side of the pond are just as dumb on this side as well... LOL

"Boo-hoo, I can't play by the rules so now I'll cry to the sympathetic leftist media!!!"

ShadesPanther
05-07-2005, 19:46
how are they crying about the result. They are upset about someone stealing their vote

Shambles
05-07-2005, 23:58
This is off topic

devastin dave..
That joke you have in your sig should read,

I want to die peacfully in my sleep Like my grandad...
Not screaming and shouting like the pasengers in his car.

Your way youve kiiled the punchline and then try to drag out a laugh.
:P
Its the way you tell em.

Productivity
05-08-2005, 01:56
Wow, looks like liberals celebrities on the other side of the pond are just as dumb on this side as well... LOL

"Boo-hoo, I can't play by the rules so now I'll cry to the sympathetic leftist media!!!"

How exactly did he not play by the rules? If anything he DID play by the rules and someone else with a agenda didn't.

Given that thiscould potentially be replicated on a large scale, I think it's probably better that it comes out now.

JAG
05-08-2005, 02:02

1) They are the media.

2) They were not crying but stating a point which should be made.

3) Blair = liberal / left, so if they were liberals they would not be crying about the result.

Devastatin Dave
05-08-2005, 05:46
This is off topic

devastin dave..
That joke you have in your sig should read,

I want to die peacfully in my sleep Like my grandad...
Not screaming and shouting like the pasengers in his car.

Your way youve kiiled the punchline and then try to drag out a laugh.
:P
Its the way you tell em.

Thanks Shambles, I'll edit it!!! You're a good man... ~:)

bmolsson
05-08-2005, 06:33
Conspiracy theories anyone.... Tinfoil hats on....

Xiahou
05-08-2005, 07:03
I'm not familiar with British absentee balloting, but by there very nature they are rife with fraud. I believe most places in the US only allow you to vote via mail if you have previously shown up in person to vote in your current polling district. Hopefully, if you have voted in person already the later absentee ballot would be mailed to your address on file.

Does it work like that in the UK?

JAG
05-08-2005, 15:49
I'm not familiar with British absentee balloting, but by there very nature they are rife with fraud. I believe most places in the US only allow you to vote via mail if you have previously shown up in person to vote in your current polling district. Hopefully, if you have voted in person already the later absentee ballot would be mailed to your address on file.

Does it work like that in the UK?

No, you merely have to apply for one even if you are a first time voter. They are delivered through the mail to your house, which leaves things very open for people simply stealing them. Then the system we have in terms of filling them in, is done in such a way that the owner / head of the house has to also sign your postal ballot to show that it was witnessed, which leaves things very open for pressure from the head of house to influence your vote. Then there is the whole fraud aspect.

Postal voting here is a good thing, but how it is at the moment is very dodgy and needs sorting.

Efrem
05-09-2005, 02:44
Wow, Mariella Frostrup is a real person????

I thought she was just a characer in coupling.....

Xiahou
05-10-2005, 07:12
No, you merely have to apply for one even if you are a first time voter. They are delivered through the mail to your house, which leaves things very open for people simply stealing them. Then the system we have in terms of filling them in, is done in such a way that the owner / head of the house has to also sign your postal ballot to show that it was witnessed, which leaves things very open for pressure from the head of house to influence your vote. Then there is the whole fraud aspect.

Postal voting here is a good thing, but how it is at the moment is very dodgy and needs sorting.
Well then- I'd say that system was pretty much designed with fraud in mind.

barocca
05-10-2005, 07:29
tinfoil hat formly ensconced - thanks for the advice bmolsson

how much fraud does there have to be for a UK Election to be declared null and void?
(who won by the way? and who was expected to win??)

Perhaps the opposition parties should organise a "storming of parliment"
:charge: :duel: :charge:

um, i mean a peacefull rally....
:end: :stupid: :rifle: :policeman:

ShadesPanther
05-10-2005, 17:40
Labour won and they were expected to win but they only just have a majority of 50 seats now.