PDA

View Full Version : Is the .ORG bad for your IQ?(POLL)

Byzantine Prince
05-09-2005, 20:51
Does the org distract you and make you less focused on things in real life. I know it does that to me a little.

the tokai
05-09-2005, 21:00
Does the org distract you and make you less focused on things in real life. I know it does that to me a little.

why would that lower your IQ? you can learn quite a lot here.

Big King Sanctaphrax
05-09-2005, 21:07
I voted no, I've learnt a huge amount from posting here, and it's been seriously important in forming many of the opinions I hold.

Ser Clegane
05-09-2005, 21:17
I'm pretty sure that is does not lower my IQ (not that I noticed anyway ~;) ) but it certainly dooes a good job distracting me, especially at work.

But sometimes I enjoy being distracted ~:cheers:

Adrian II
05-09-2005, 21:21
I'm pretty sure that is does not lower my IQ (not that I noticed anyway ~;) ) but it certainly dooes a good job distracting me, especially at work.

But sometimes I enjoy being distracted ~:cheers:It certainly didn't damage your intelligence, Ser Clegane. I miss your longer posts and extensive discussions, but I guess it comes with the territory of a mod. Can't you sneak in here under a different avatar now and then?

Speaking of which, what on Earth does 'Ser Clegane' mean?
~:confused:

the tokai
05-09-2005, 21:25
It certainly didn't damage your intelligence, Ser Clegane. I miss your longer posts and extensive discussions, but I guess it comes with the territory of a mod. Can't you sneak in here under a different avatar now and then?

http://www.westeros.org/Heraldry/Clegane.html is my gues

Adrian II
05-09-2005, 21:30
http://www.westeros.org/Heraldry/Clegane.html is my gues
Whoah!

http://www.westeros.org/Heraldry/Graphics/her_clegane.gif

Ser Clegane
05-09-2005, 21:37
It certainly didn't damage your intelligence, Ser Clegane. I miss your longer posts and extensive discussions, but I guess it comes with the territory of a mod. Can't you sneak in here under a different avatar now and then?

Hmm ... perhaps becoming a moderator had a negative effect on my intelligence ~D

But you are correct - my participation in discussions is currently less intensive due to the new role, but this will hopefully change again once I am more accustomed to it ~:)

It's referring to a character from George R.R. Martin's "Song of Ice and Fire" (fantasy) books. A bit juvenile I know, but there you are ~;)

EDIT: Just saw tokai's post - he nailed it ~:cheers:

Byzantine Prince
05-09-2005, 21:39
why would that lower your IQ? you can learn quite a lot here.
Low IQ is not how much knowledge you have but how quickly and effectively you react to things that you have to think about, like for example homework or even typing.

but it certainly dooes a good job distracting me, especially at work.
When you get distracted your IQ drops 5 points. Remeber my E-mail thread from CNN.com?

Ser Clegane
05-09-2005, 21:42
When you get distracted your IQ drops 5 points.

I hope that's not accumulative ... :mad:

The_Doctor
05-09-2005, 21:50
The backroom sometimes makes me angry. :furious3: I do learn stuff here though.

JAG
05-09-2005, 22:24
No, I don't think it lowers your IQ at all. What a strange question! :p

Templar Knight
05-09-2005, 22:28
Clegane, a fellow knight ~:cheers: beer all round ~:)

PanzerJaeger
05-09-2005, 22:56
Nah, when i came here i thought left wingers were truly bad people who hated morals, values, and of course America.

Now ive learned they are misguided people who hate morals, values, and of course America. ~;)

Gawain of Orkeny
05-09-2005, 23:53
Low IQ is not how much knowledge you have but how quickly and effectively you react to things that you have to think about, like for example homework or even typing.

Actually its supposed to be a measure of how adept you are to learning and problem solving. If anything the ORG would tend to improve these things as well as expand you knowledge. That is if you are willing to listen which many here refuse to do. You learn nothing when you speak.

Byzantine Prince
05-10-2005, 00:12
Actually its supposed to be a measure of how adept you are to learning and problem solving. If anything the ORG would tend to improve these things as well as expand you knowledge. That is if you are willing to listen which many here refuse to do. You learn nothing when you speak.
Quit hijacking my threads with little timbits of useless additions! :furious3:

Templar Knight
05-10-2005, 00:14
http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/sport/sport-smiley-011.gif

Gawain of Orkeny
05-10-2005, 00:17
Quit hijacking my threads with little timbits of useless additions!

What are you talking about. The thread is about how the ORG effects your IQ. How is it that you can give a definition of IQ its ok and on topic but when I correct you its hi jacking the thread? ~:confused:

Laridus Konivaich
05-10-2005, 00:24
I voted no. It is very interesting and informative to be here, and I have to think quickly to turn around those liberals' positions, and make them look dumb! :book: ~:cheers: ~:confused:

PS: Teacher do encourage kids to reaad more, and this is definately reading... so high kids! ~;)

discovery1
05-10-2005, 00:40
I doubt it. I delearned grammar on other boards, so the org's impact is probably positive, unless you count the distractions it causes. I really should be studying for Chem right now.

Templar Knight
05-10-2005, 00:42
I should be sound asleep, but hey, whats the point? ~:)

Byzantine Prince
05-10-2005, 00:55
Just to make it clear: I'm not saying that the .ORG isn't informative and educational. Rather I am making an observation from personal experience that things that distract you are bad for your IQ because they send your brain into 10 different directions and affects your ability to focus. This is a spinoff I thought of after the "Does E-mail lower your IQ more the weed" thread which was based on a CNN article. Posting here is kind of like E-mail and so their argument that distraction lowers your IQ still could be applicable.

Gawain of Orkeny
05-10-2005, 01:17
Rather I am making an observation from personal experience that things that distract you are bad for your IQ because they send your brain into 10 different directions and affects your ability to focus.

I suggest the problem then lies within your own brain. This should help your IQ if thats possible. Again your IQ is a measure of your ability to learn not a measure of what you know. My IQ hasnt changed since I took my first IQ test 45 years ago. You either have it or you dont. If your point is that the org is distracting and takes you away from more important things you should be doing then I think we all agree. But MTW is far more guilty of that in my case.

Tachikaze
05-10-2005, 01:23
Well, as long as you don't read conservatives' opinions, justifications, and their versions of "morals" with any seriousness, you can leave here pretty much with your IQ intact.

The biggest problem is when I find the need to answer a thread while I'm preparing for work in the morning.

Redleg
05-10-2005, 03:29
Well, as long as you don't read conservatives' opinions, justifications, and their versions of "morals" with any seriousness, you can leave here pretty much with your IQ intact.

LOL - the same could be said of your opinions also Tachikaze. ~D

Uesugi Kenshin
05-10-2005, 03:35
No, if anything it helps me maintain my sanity by allowing me to fight with/get annoyed with someone other than my family.

bmolsson
05-10-2005, 04:44
Eh... Can you please repeat the question ???

ichi
05-10-2005, 05:33
Clearly not. The Org is great place to learn about the Total War series of games, and to meet and converse with a wide variety of very intelligent people.

The idear that visitin a wesite could be bad fer yer IQ is so emplawsible that Im sprised enybuty wood even cuncider respawndin to it.

I come hear awmos daylee an it done nevre ven begun to dissaffect my smartness. might coulda evn maid me more smartified.

ichi :bow:

Gregoshi
05-10-2005, 06:34
Just water me twice a week. :daisy:

Adrian II
05-10-2005, 07:08
Just water me twice a week. :daisy:But ya can't pour no water on no websight, dummie! :bucktooth:

Franconicus
05-10-2005, 07:26
Does the org distract you and make you less focused on things in real life.
Real life?

Gawain of Orkeny
05-10-2005, 07:29
Real life?

Hey I think I remember that. Ill get back to you. Ill google it.