PDA

View Full Version : Grenade thrown at Bush

Gawain of Orkeny
05-11-2005, 02:06
Grenade thrown at Bush

May 11, 2005

WASHINGTON: A possible hand grenade was thrown toward a stage in Georgia where US President George W Bush was giving a speech today, says the US Secret Service.

"After the president departed the country of Georgia we were notified by host country authorities of a report that during the president's speech in Tbilisi a device described as a possible hand grenade was thrown within 100 feet [30m] of the stage," said Secret Service spokesman Jonathan Cherry.

"It was reported that a device hit an individual in the crowd and the device fell to the ground," Cherry said.

"It was reported that a Georgian security officer picked up the device which did not detonate and removed it from the area," he said.

Bush had been speaking before thousands of cheering Georgians in Tbilisi's Freedom Square.

"At this time we have not seen the reported device. We have agents on the ground in Tbilisi working with the FBI, State Department and host country security authorities to look further into this report," Cherry said.

Bush is now back in Washington.

Hes untouchable ~D

Beirut
05-11-2005, 02:19
Hes untouchable ~D

Except when he's drunk. Then you can touch him all over.

Well, that what the hooker said...

TheSilverKnight
05-11-2005, 02:26

OOOOOOOOHHHH!!! SERVED!!! ~D
Nice Beirut my main man! *high five @ Beirut*

Papewaio
05-11-2005, 02:35
American Pretzels are more effective then Russian Hand Grenades... ~:eek:

PanzerJaeger
05-11-2005, 02:47
Wow lucky.

Do grenades often fail to go off?

Proletariat
05-11-2005, 02:55

No way! It's like, soooo obvious now he is the Anointed One we hoped for when casting our ballots last fall!

Redleg
05-11-2005, 03:02
Wow lucky.

Depends on the age of the grenade and how it was stored - The grenades used by the United States Military have a dude rate that is extremely low.

However other nations I don't know of. And this could of been a practice grenade - same weight and shape - just no explosive inside. Kind of hard to tell from the article.

Don Corleone
05-11-2005, 03:07
No way! It's like, soooo obvious now he is the Anointed One we hoped for when casting our ballots last fall!

~:) ~:) ~:) Good one Proletariat.

Gawain of Orkeny
05-11-2005, 03:09

I think you have him confused with the previous tenant of the Whitehouse.

Papewaio
05-11-2005, 03:13
The grenades used by the United States Military have a dude rate that is extremely low.

So not many California grenades?

Hey Dude, some totally like serious surf.

JAG
05-11-2005, 03:22
I am so glad he survived, what a man.

KukriKhan
05-11-2005, 03:32
So not many California grenades?

Hey Dude, some totally like serious surf.

Bwahahaha!

Glad he's OK. Getting hurt in Georgia could have been a problem. I hear the Georgian authorities didn't even tell the Secret Service until 2 hours after GWB was out of the country.

I ran a grenade range in the early 80's. The literature cited "1 in 150,000" dud rate IIRC. We probably went through that many in the year I was there. No duds. (Maybe the day after I left?).

edit: added a zero.

Hurin_Rules
05-11-2005, 03:34
CNN is reporting that some sources in Georgia are denying this story is true. It seems we don't yet have all the facts.

Gawain of Orkeny
05-11-2005, 03:38
Come on Hurin fess up . It was you and one of your practical jokes again wasnt it?

Beirut
05-11-2005, 04:01

I think you have him confused with the previous tenant of the Whitehouse.

No. Clinton didn't have to pay for it.

The Black Ship
05-11-2005, 04:14
Oh that's where you're wrong...he paid for it alright ~;) Political capital is waaaaay more pricey than your local piece of ....

Aurelian
05-11-2005, 05:06
A "possible" hand grenade? Sounds fishy.

Maybe it was an infinite improbability hand grenade.

Maybe it was a Georgian metallic love-pineapple.

Hard to say.

Hurin_Rules
05-11-2005, 05:07
Come on Hurin fess up . It was you and one of your practical jokes again wasnt it?

Ok, you're right, it was me. I was hoping to see some hot southern women, so I took a plane to Georgia, but I got the wrong one. ~:)

Byzantine Prince
05-11-2005, 05:50
*BP notes 'throw grenade at Bush, make sure it's not a dud'*

Ok, done!

Gawain of Orkeny
05-11-2005, 05:56
BP your phones ringing ~:) and theres someone at your door.

Papewaio
05-11-2005, 06:55
BP how pray tell would you check that the grenade is not a dud without pulling the pin first (and hence probably killing oneself)?

Now if you want to see Bush come down I suggest a less violent means... give him pretzels to eat while he is on his Segway... ~:cool:

Or date one of his daughters.

Tachikaze
05-11-2005, 07:08
Hes untouchable ~D
What would you have said when Hitler miraculously survived the assassination attempt against him?

Only the good are spared?

monkian
05-11-2005, 07:58
What would you have said when Hitler miraculously survived the assassination attempt against him?

Only the good are spared?

You naughty little hippy you ! ~;)

Beirut
05-11-2005, 12:07
Maybe it was an infinite improbability hand grenade.

Ha! That's great. ~D

Maybe it was the action of throwing an infinite-improbability hand grenade that led to him being president. What else could the reason be?

Spetulhu
05-11-2005, 14:44
I can't speak for all different hand grenades, but the sort I've seen have a separate detonator tube. The grenades are stored without detonators for reasons of safety. Throw it as far as you want without the detonator, it won't work. When you prepare it for use the top of the grenade is unscrewed, the tube is attached and then it all is put back together. Ready to explode!

Someone unfamiliar with the grenade type could just have failed to make it operational.

Ja'chyra
05-11-2005, 14:57
I can't speak for all different hand grenades, but the sort I've seen have a separate detonator tube. The grenades are stored without detonators for reasons of safety. Throw it as far as you want without the detonator, it won't work. When you prepare it for use the top of the grenade is unscrewed, the tube is attached and then it all is put back together. Ready to explode!

Someone unfamiliar with the grenade type could just have failed to make it operational.

Or it could have been a pomegranate ~D

Byzantine Prince
05-11-2005, 15:47
Those are dangerously deliscious! :grin3:

Ja'chyra
05-11-2005, 15:56
Last time I had one I was sick for 5 hours afterwards :toilet:

Goofball
05-11-2005, 17:19
Well, even if it had gone off, Bush would have had to have extremely bad luck to have even received so much as a scratch from a grenade exploding 100 feet away (not to mention that it was supposedly in the middle of a crowd of people who would have absorbed all of the blast/schrapnel).

Ronin
05-11-2005, 18:29
well.....what can i say....

better luck next time.. ~D

Ser Clegane
05-11-2005, 19:10
Interesting ... I remember that when GWB visited our neighbourhood here in Germany I made a thread about the absurd security measures that were taken (e.g., closing down whole highways, making people stay at home in a whole quarter of the city of Mainz, sealing manhole covers in the city).

At that time some people argued that this was "normal" procedure for such visits.
Only a day later GWB went to Slovakia to take a bath in the crowd.

Now, in Georgia it seems again that security measures were not that harsh.

Of course the difference in the latter two cases is that GWB could expect the crowds to cheer for him while during his visit in Mainz the crowd most likely would have been less welcoming.

So - lesson learned: The security of GWB's ego seems to be much more worthy of protection than his physical intactness ... go figure ~;)

jayrock
05-11-2005, 21:01
well.....what can i say....

better luck next time.. ~D

careful what you wish for... remember, next up is president cheney...shudders... thats scary.

Devastatin Dave
05-11-2005, 23:55
careful what you wish for... remember, next up is president cheney...shudders... thats scary.

What's so bad about Uncle Dick? ~D

Ronin
05-12-2005, 00:23

maybe we´ll get lucky and they´re together at the time ~D

Redleg
05-12-2005, 00:35
maybe we´ll get lucky and they´re together at the time ~D

LOL - and then you get someone who you don't want either. The current Speaker of the House.

Edit to add link to bio of the Speaker of the House.

http://www.speaker.gov/features/biography.asp

Devastatin Dave
05-12-2005, 01:04
Face it lefties, you're pretty much screwed, the rightwing is thouroghly entrenced so all you can do is have wet dreams and whine on this forum for some liberal change in our government!!! LOL ~D

Byzantine Prince
05-12-2005, 01:05
Face it lefties, you're pretty much screwed, the rightwing is thouroghly entrenced so all you can do is have wet dreams and whine on this forum for some liberal change in our government!!! LOL ~D
*splirt* ~D

JAG
05-12-2005, 03:52

lol Dave you never dissapoint.

bmolsson
05-12-2005, 05:32
I thought they meant Granada......