PDA

View Full Version : Liberal media bias thingy

Paul Peru
05-11-2005, 08:43
http://ifamericaknew.org/media/net-report.html
ABC reported on 305 Israeli deaths and 327 Palestinian deaths – 185% of Israeli deaths and 60% of Palestinian deaths.

CBS reported on 344 Israeli deaths and 296 Palestinian deaths – 202% of Israeli deaths and 54% of Palestinian deaths.

NBC reported on 227 Israeli deaths and 190 Palestinian deaths – 138% of Israeli deaths and 35% of Palestinian deaths. ~:eek:
The networks’ coverage of children’s deaths was even more skewed. In the first year of the current uprising, ABC, CBS, and NBC reported Israeli children’s deaths at 13.8, 6.4, and 12.4 times the rate of Palestinian children’s deaths. In 2004 these large differentials were also present, although they decreased in two cases, with deaths of Israeli children covered at rates 9.0, 12.8, and 9.9 times greater than the deaths of Palestinian children by ABC, CBS, and NBC, respectively. Given that in 2004 22 times more Palestinian children were killed than Israeli children, this category holds particular importance.
hmm... I thought I was keeping out of this room...

Efrem
05-12-2005, 07:50
ROFLMAO

They covered 220% of Israeli deaths did they???

Are you sure you didn't just pull those (impossable) figures out of your ass?

Productivity
05-12-2005, 07:55

Presumably reported media figures were greater than the true number of dead. I don't see why it is impossible for this to happen.

bmolsson
05-12-2005, 08:32
Well, cats have 9 lives..... ~;)

Efrem
05-12-2005, 08:54
By double??

Are you kidding me?

Productivity
05-12-2005, 09:17
By double??

Are you kidding me?

I admire your faith in the ability of the media to be accurate. However in this case this faith would appear to be misplaced. I would think that most people in their own fields can find many errors, numerical and theoretical that the media makes, and I see no reason why it would be different here.

Regardless, the way you answered appears to indicate that you concede it is possible that overstating could occur. The logical extension of this is you concede that your first post is flawed as if can overstating occur, it is not "impossable" (sic) for numbers akin to those in the original post to occur. Do you agree, or would you prefer to clarify your statement?

Efrem
05-12-2005, 09:21
I do not believe the media put the number of israeli deaths over the period of a year as DOUBLE what they actually were. Sure theres mistakes and errors, but DOUBLE????

You can't honestly believe that?

Productivity
05-12-2005, 09:26
I do not believe the media put the number of israeli deaths over the period of a year as DOUBLE what they actually were. Sure theres mistakes and errors, but DOUBLE????

You can't honestly believe that?

I do not know if they overstated by such a factor. To find that out I would have to go to primary sources, somethign I have neither hte time nor inclination to do.

However from my own experience with the media and numbers, in my field of study/interest, economics, numbers are reguarly overstated by such a factor. So yes, I can beleive that it would be overstated by double.

Paul Peru
05-12-2005, 09:58
ROFLMAO

They covered 220% of Israeli deaths did they???

I can assure you that I don't have any statistics on media coverage of casualties in the Israeli/Palestinian conflict up any orifice.

I supplied a link that shows where I got them from. There is some info there about their sources and methodology, and nothing seems to indicate anal extraction of figures.

You may feel free (probably not in all states) to retain the figures wherever on your person you find fitting.

Efrem
05-12-2005, 10:26
ifamericanew.org is hardly a source to be taken seriously.

Paul Peru
05-12-2005, 12:28
Please feel free to inform me as to why this is so. I didn't know.

It might also be interesting to know how you came to the conclusion that said website was likely to be my rectum. But most likely it would not.

Steppe Merc
05-12-2005, 12:51
This is hardly a liberal bias in anyway shape or form...

Paul Peru
05-12-2005, 13:10
No, I was being ironic, you see.
The right wing complains about liberal media bias, in order to try to scare the media to be even less critical of [off topic stuff], etc.
I happen to think that the media bias is of an entirely otherwise nature.
And I found some numbers that fit nicely with my prejudices ~;)

Productivity
05-12-2005, 15:18

I like this ladder form of arguing.

First you go in with one argument (it's not true), then when that gets challenged you drop it down another notch (those numbers can't be true), then when that gets challenged you drop it down another notch (the source is biased). What next?

I think a similar style of tactic is used in non-compete clauses. To me all it shows is you can't form a solid enough argument, that you have to keep changing it. :balloon2: :balloon2:

BDC
05-12-2005, 15:47
A lot of the American media is all over the place. I mean just look at how all the figures vary, someone somewhere is not doing their job properly (or doing it too well).

Of course it is all amazingly accurate compared to the Chinese press. Oh how I laughed watching the official English-language news.

Gawain of Orkeny
05-12-2005, 15:52

This is hardly a conservative bias in anyway shape or form...

No, I was being ironic, you see.

More like a totally falacious title and argument

I happen to think that the media bias is of an entirely otherwise nature.

You have done absolutley nothing here to show a conservative bias if that was your intention.

And I found some numbers that fit nicely with my prejudices

All you have managed to show is that you are indeed prejuduce.

Paul Peru
05-12-2005, 16:48
No it isn't. There are some relevant statistical correlations, and I'm sure I don't have to spell them out to you.

More like a totally falacious title and argument ~:eek:
I made a fallacious title!
IMO there are worse things than a bit of humour, but I'm ever so sorry that you don't think I'm amusing.
:bigcry::bigcry::bigcry::bigcry::bigcry::bigcry:

You have done absolutley nothing here to show a conservative bias if that was your intention.
No I haven't. There are some relevant statistical correlations, and I'm sure I don't have to spell them out to you.

All you have managed to show is that you are indeed prejuduce.
~D

Gawain of Orkeny
05-12-2005, 16:52
Maybe you just dont understand that the Israeli Palestinian conflict is one of the few issues here that are not seen as a liberal or conservative issue. The vast majority of Americans support Israel no matter what their political persuassion. If you want to make a point that our press is biased towards Israel that would be another matter. But trying to show or say this disproves liberal bias here is utter nonsense.

Adrian II
05-12-2005, 17:15
(..) nothing seems to indicate anal extraction of figures.LOL! I like the way you keep your cool. The 202 percent is Gogol-esque, though, suggesting dead souls that exist only in the media's bookkeeping and not on the ground. I wonder who's cashing in on them?..

Seriously, quantitative analyses of media content are seldom revealing. They are usually an instrument of the right emplyed to 'prove' leftist media bias, and I feel we shouldn't walk into the same trap.

One prominent article on the Middle East may be literally worth a thousand cheap shots.

Steppe Merc
05-13-2005, 00:13
Agreed. I was just saying.
I would say this is a pro Isreal bias if it's true, not a liberal thing. As you said, not all liberals are pro Palestine, in any way shape or form. ~;)

PanzerJaeger
05-13-2005, 01:11
www.mediaresearch.org

No liberal bias? :help:

Paul Peru
05-13-2005, 07:01
Maybe you just dont understand that the Israeli Palestinian conflict is one of the few issues here that are not seen as a liberal or conservative issue. The vast majority of Americans support Israel no matter what their political persuassion. If you want to make a point that our press is biased towards Israel that would be another matter. But trying to show or say this disproves liberal bias here is utter nonsense.
I concede that the word 'liberal' was probably ill-chosen. I still believe that a liberal would be more prone to allowing Palestinians the same human rights as Israelis, and I would claim that there is a significant covariation. Would "Left-wing media bias thingy" have been OK?

Efrem
05-13-2005, 11:29
You seriouly don't see the bias in ifamericanew.org???

You cannot comprehend that maybe they are trying to make a point??

Do you understand what the word bias means??

Is Yurp a real place??? Do they speak english there?

Ronin
05-13-2005, 11:38
it allways cracks me up when i look at the american media in general...one of the most concervative medias in the world...and then i hear all about this "liberal media byas" :dizzy2:

roflmao.......man...what a screwed up contry....if it was a person i´d wonder what it´s mommy had done to it...

Paul Peru
05-13-2005, 12:11
You seriouly don't see the bias in ifamericanew.org???
No, but I haven't looked closely. You tell me.

You cannot comprehend that maybe they are trying to make a point??It would seem to me that they have made a point, yes. I would not be surprised if it was intentional.

Do you understand what the word bias means??
Yes.

Is Yurp a real place??? Do they speak english there?
No, it's sort of how some Americans pronounce Europe. Some people here speak English, notably the English.

Ser Clegane
05-13-2005, 12:17
roflmao.......man...what a screwed up contry....if it was a person i´d wonder what it´s mommy had done to it...

Careful - no country bashing please...

Adrian II
05-13-2005, 13:09
It would seem to me that they have made a point, yes. I would not be surprised if it was intentional.LOL! Paul Peru, please don't ever leave the Backroom. It's sentences like these that make me spray my coffee onto my computer screen.
:bow:

Gawain of Orkeny
05-13-2005, 15:20
I still believe that a liberal would be more prone to allowing Palestinians the same human rights as Israelis, and I would claim that there is a significant covariation. Would "Left-wing media bias thingy" have been OK?

No. What gives you the idea that conservatives are less prone to allowing Palestinians the same human rights as Israelis ? Do conservatives oppose human rights now? Once more i this country the Palestinian issue is pretty much looked upon the same by liberals and conservatives. Is there any conservative here who doesnt think that the Palestinians deserve the same human rights as the Israelis or that of any other people for that matter? If I were you Paul I wouldnt hold my breath waiting for someone to agree with you on this.

Paul Peru
05-15-2005, 15:08
No. What gives you the idea that conservatives are less prone to allowing Palestinians the same human rights as Israelis ? Do conservatives oppose human rights now? Once more i this country the Palestinian issue is pretty much looked upon the same by liberals and conservatives. Is there any conservative here who doesnt think that the Palestinians deserve the same human rights as the Israelis or that of any other people for that matter? If I were you Paul I wouldnt hold my breath waiting for someone to agree with you on this.
Well, I agree that almost any American politician who wants to get into office will publicly say that anything Israel does to the Palestinians is their own business and the Palestinians have got it coming because some among them are terrorists.
AFAIK there is nothing inherent in conservatism that opposes human rights. The current American administration is often described as conservative or "neocon". Their practice shows an utter comtempt for HR, and that they think the value of a human life is...variable. There have even been statements given by some of them where they admit to this. And I was talking about correlations/covariations.
The main point was not the world liberal, though.

Gawain of Orkeny
05-15-2005, 15:41
Their practice shows an utter comtempt for HR, and that they think the value of a human life is...variable. There have even been statements given by some of them where they admit to this. And I was talking about correlations/covariations.

Thats strictly a matter of opinion and a falacious one at that. It seems to me that many liberals have more concern for the rights of terrorists than they do for US soldiers but Im not going to argue that point.

bmolsson
05-16-2005, 08:54
By the way, isn't ALL MEDIA biased ? I mean after all somebody pays for the trash and expect to get some value for money......

Gawain of Orkeny
05-16-2005, 14:37
mean after all somebody pays for the trash and expect to get some value for money.

The most biased media here is PBS and thats paid for by us all but is heavily biased to te left. I believe the time has come for both PBS and NPR to be taken off the air.

bmolsson
05-17-2005, 02:44
The most biased media here is PBS and thats paid for by us all but is heavily biased to te left. I believe the time has come for both PBS and NPR to be taken off the air.

Mayby you should give a call to your congress man and ask him to do his job for once...... ~;)