PDA

View Full Version : Help Wanted: Sounds and voices

khelvan
05-11-2005, 20:27
Ok guys, we need your help. We would like to add some new sounds and voices to enhance some of our current factions, but we can't without your assistance.

So if you want your voice to be heard, and you are a native speaker of German or a Scandinavian language, please contact me! Also, we can use a strong Hebrew speaker, or more than one.

Thanks!

-khel

Warlord
05-12-2005, 17:37
I'm a native Finnish speaker - Finnish makes for good barbarian talk, he he.

Would be happy to help... impressive project.

Baeksen
05-12-2005, 19:34
I speak Danish and I would gladly help out, but if you want something resembling old Norse (Germanic) language you will need someone from Iceland, their language haven’t changed much since they migrated, which is around a 1000 years ago.

mingus
05-13-2005, 20:22
hi, i speak hebrew as a strong second language, basically fluently, and i'm attending yeshiva u. so i can definitely find others to help out.

question, though: wouldn't aramaic be more appropriate for this time period? hebrew, (especially the kind i speak, which is about 120 years old) was not used very much at the time
aramaic speakers are harder to find, though i know some sephardic jews who might know it as a second language. i can do aramaic if i had to, but it's not especially easy...

Shigawire
05-13-2005, 23:37
Modern "Hebrew" is in fact closer to Punic than Aramaic is.
Aramaic is to Punic like German is to Norwegian.
Hebrew is to Punic like Norwegian is to Danish.

You might be interested to know that modern Hebrew is, in fact, very closely related to Phoenician-Punic. Modern Hebrew is based on so-called Rabbinic/Mishnaic Hebrew, a language that is historically not true Hebrew but a Phoenician dialect.

In Krahmalkov's Phoenician-Punic dictionary and grammar books, you will see that 95% of Punic is similar, in most cases IDENTICAL, to Hebrew words. You will be lucky if you find 3% of similarity between Aramaic or Akkadian to Punic.

We will not be using Hebrew per se. We will be using Punic as a base, but any missing bits and pieces, gaps of information, will be cemented and sealed shut with Hebrew. Not all words imaginable are in the dictionary.

Just to give you examples of similarities:
The letters will be in latinized ASCII form, but represent Punic and Hebrew letters. Though the dictionary use a latinized form, this is not exactly how the dictionary deals with it, because there are some macrons I don't have on my keyboard. I'll be using some random characters which I have in this latin ASCII format (which more people have anyway).

\ = Aleph (simple glottal stop)
B = Beth (bilabial plosive)
G = Gimel (velar stop)
D = Daleth (alveolar stop)
H = He (glottal fricative)
W = Waw (bilabial) represented in Latin-leter orthography by U (V)
Z = Zayin (affricate of the shape [ZD] or [DZ], represented in Roman orthography by sd and ss in the spelling of the demonstrative pronoun Z ("this")
¤ = Heth (pharyngeal fricative) ¤NB@L (¤anniba@al)
% = Teth (retroflex stop) emphatic dental stop, almost like T
Y = Yodh (palatal glide) Represented in Latin-letter orthography by i
K = Kaph (velar stop) Represented in Neo-Punic Latin-letter orthography by CH - aspirated plosive K, like Classical Greek letter "Chi" like Kick
L = Lamedh (alveolar lateral resonant) regular L
M = Mem (bilabial nasal resonant) regular M
N = Nun (alveolar nasal resonant) regular N
S = Samekh (alveolar groove fricative) regular S
@ = Ayin (glottal obstruent) Sounds like a short french R, or "iRaq" in the old 'Syric' dialect.
P = Pe (bilabial simple stop) regular P
£ = Sadhe (alveolar affricate) TS like TSunami
Q = Qoph (uvular stop) regular unaspirated K - Kitchen
R = Resh (alveolar median resonant) is sometimes Geminated, i.e., the consonant is pronounced twice as long as it would normally be, and is also treated as belonging to both the preceeding vowel and the following.
$ = Shin (reflex of PWS) In hebrew Shin is pronounced SH as in "SHine", but in Phoenician, the letter Shin lost its fricative nature some time in the 5th Century B.C. Therefore, in Punic it was pronounced like a regular S.
T = Taw (simple alveolar stop) aspirated plosive T

[ABC] = transliterated pronunciation in hebrew or punic

Happiness
Punic: \$R [\oser]
Hebrew: \$R [\osher]

Belly
Punic: BTN [beten]
Hebrew: BTN [beten]

Sanctuary
Punic: MQD$ [mikdas]
Hebrew: MQD$ [mikda$]

Army
Punic: M¤NT [ma¤net]
Hebrew: [ma¤ne]

Stone quarry
Punic: M¤£B [ma¤£eb]
Hebrew: [ma¤£eb]

Those are some few random examples.. there are Akkadian and Aramaic connections as well, but I really have to look hard to find them, because that's how rare they are compared to the Hebrew connections.

So now you understand why Hebrew and Hebrew speakers are such a natural choice.

The dictionary (http://www.eisenbrauns.com/wconnect/wc.dll?ebGate~EIS~~I~KRADICTIO) is 500 pages, the grammar (https://www.eisenbrauns.com/ECOM/_1IO11OR0C.HTM) is 300 pages.

mingus
05-14-2005, 00:22
my mistake, i wasn't aware this was intended for use instead of punic you're right, aramaic was in its own linguistic family, seperate from hebrew and phoenician, it was much more prominent east of the levant where it eventually replaced the last akkadian-derivative languages. in that case, yes, mishnaic hebrew (with which i'm fairly familiar, in a practical, if not scholarly capacity) would certainly be preferable. i'd have numerous dictionaries and guides at my disposal to help.
as for mishnaic hebrew not being the 'true' hebrew, it's clearly a direct descendant of the biblical hebrew in the bible, which is pretty much universally recognized as part of a canaanite (nw semitic) language family, along with phoenician. so, i'm not sure what your comment was getting at, if there is another 'true' hebrew predating mishnaic out there, i'm not aware of it.

Shigawire
05-14-2005, 00:46
Well, it wasn't "my" comment per se. It was something Dr. Charles Krahmalkov told me, the guy who created the dictionary and grammar books. I've emailed some with him. That's how he explained it to me.

Here's a few direct quotes :

If you wanted a touch of something a bit purer, have your Hebrew speaker use the pronunciation "w" instead of "v" for the letter "waw/vav".

About Hebrew. Hebrew's real name, as recorded in the Bible, is Yehudit, which means "Judean", that is, the Semitic language spoken in the southern highlands of Palestine, from Jerusalem southwards into the desert. Yehudit became the official national language of the Jews about 1000 BC, because it was native language of King David, who was born in Bethlehem of Judah and was for a short while king in Hebron of Judah. The other languages of Palestine continued to be spoken however, chief among them Ephraimite, used in the northern highlands, from Jerusalem up to the Jezreel Valley. We have only a few texts in this once important language, but the Bible preserves a number of interesting stories about it, the most famous of them being the Shibboleth incident: speakers of Yehudit were able to identify Ephraimites by asking them to say the word "shibboleth." In Ephraimite there was no "sh"-sound (as there is none in Greek). The Ephraimite could hear the "sh" but could not articulate it; the best he could do was "sibboleth," giving his tribal identity away and earning an unpleasant death by drowning in the Jordan River. Modern Hebrew is based partly on Biblical Hebrew but also heavily on so-called Mishnaic Hebrew (also called Rabbinic Hebrew). This seems to have been the very ancient, pre-Yehudit language of coastal plain of south-western Palestine. It never really died out but seems to have been pushed aside when Yehudit was declared the national language. Very much like Norwegian could and would not be eliminated when Danish was imposed as the national language of your region. The old Semitic coastal language was really the southernmost dialect of Phoenician, the Semitic spoken along the coast and plain of Lebanon and Palestine. Some features of this coastal language (and therefore also of modern Hebrew) is the pronoun she-("which") instead of Yehudit asher; the pronoun anu ("we") instead of Yehudit anahnu; and the pronoun zo ("this", feminine) instead of Yehudit zot.
Small but significant differences.

Proper Gander
05-14-2005, 01:04
well... i can speak german. sound like a german to the germans. ~D
i may have a slight swiss influence though....
comes from living in switzerland i guess.. DAMN IT. :furious3:

i would like to help EB in any respect. just let me know what i would have to do, or what else i have to bring with me apart from speaking a language.

Birka Viking
05-14-2005, 09:38
I speak Swedish if it is for any use...

cunctator
05-14-2005, 09:52
I am a native german speaker, also i have only a normal pc microphone.

Kikosemmek
05-14-2005, 10:01
I've posted this in the TWCenter.net forums, but there was no answer, so here I go again:

I'm a Hebrew speaker, born and raised in Israel. I'm in love with this mod and am pretty sure that it will consume my social life when it gets released. I'd love to contribute. I have a normal computer mic.

Valens
05-16-2005, 08:05
Modern German has very little in common with the language the Germans of this time period would have spoken... but then again, close enough!

Kikosemmek
05-16-2005, 08:12
I don't think it has anything to do with how well people know the current languages' vocabularies, but with accents and dialects. People who know Hebrew and contribute their voice do not know Phoenician, but a language that is very close to it when accents are considered. I trust EB's lead in this, as they do, after all, have professionals among their ranks.

Brutus
05-16-2005, 12:59
I don't know if I can be of any assistance, my native language being Dutch (and my technical capabilities severly limited), but in respect to the accent bit, I would like to point out that there are large differences between West-German (German, Dutch, Frisian and English), North-German (Danish, Norwegian, Swedish and Icelandic) and East-German (all died out, but for example Gothic or Burgundian) tongues. In this respect, look to the difference in the names of Germanic Gods: Woden, Woten, Wodan (West-German); Odin (Norse) or Donar (West-German) and Thor (Norse).

Otherwise, keep up the good work! Really nice!

Baeksen
05-19-2005, 17:25
I don't know if I can be of any assistance, my native language being Dutch (and my technical capabilities severly limited), but in respect to the accent bit, I would like to point out that there are large differences between West-German (German, Dutch, Frisian and English), North-German (Danish, Norwegian, Swedish and Icelandic) and East-German (all died out, but for example Gothic or Burgundian) tongues. In this respect, look to the difference in the names of Germanic Gods: Woden, Woten, Wodan (West-German); Odin (Norse) or Donar (West-German) and Thor (Norse).

Otherwise, keep up the good work! Really nice!

It is true that the languages differed later in the Roman period, but the division of Proto-Germanic isn't believed to have appeared before 100 AD. Therefore it seems to me to be a good solution to use the Proto-Germanic language for all of the Germanic tribes in EB.

Best regards, Baeksen ~:)

BDC
05-19-2005, 19:40
How close is English to proto-German (ignoring all the French words)? That's all I can offer.

GBG
05-20-2005, 06:59
I speak Swedish, Danish and Norwegian, fairly good German and some French. I've also studied Latin in university and has a pretty good grasp of older dialects and pronounciation when it comes to older Scandinavian words ( mostly from my studies of Nordic religion ).

Let me know if I can help.

Shambles
05-20-2005, 10:49
Well im welsh if that helps lol

Shigawire
05-20-2005, 21:33
Welsh eh? Well, I don't think we have a use for that language. It's too mixed.
You might be interested to know that Welsh is related to Hebrew. Welsh is mixed between Celtic and some Phoenician.

Examples:

--------Welsh-----------------|--------Hebrew--------------
Ochoren ballodddi hoc-dena----|---Acharei belothi hedenah----
Yni all sy dda------------------|---Ani El Saddai--------------
Angheni a gowan--------------|---Angini eu gouan------------
Ysgoefon a gwirion------------|---Isgoahvon u giwaeon-------
Be heulo leuferfo--------------|---Be hilo leavorvo------------
Nesa awyr peneu chwi---------|---Nesah auor panei cha------

Intriguing, no? :bow:

Idomeneas
05-20-2005, 21:41
who is gonna do the greeks?

[cF]HanBaal
05-20-2005, 23:30
I've posted this in the TWCenter.net forums, but there was no answer, so here I go again:

I'm a Hebrew speaker, born and raised in Israel. I'm in love with this mod and am pretty sure that it will consume my social life when it gets released. I'd love to contribute. I have a normal computer mic.

Hi Kikosemmek. I actually left you a PM in the TWC forums since we are indeed very much in need of hebrew speakers for our mod. Please recheck it and contact us through the adresses I left you in that PM. Thank you for your offer once again and, if all goes well, may I be the first to welcome you to our humble team :bow:

Teleklos Archelaou
05-20-2005, 23:46
who is gonna do the greeks?Well on their way to being done Idomeneas. ~D But can't give an exact estimate of the completion date. The chap is from Thessalonika, btw, and I for one can't wait to hear it in-game like we can do for the latin right now.

Idomeneas
05-21-2005, 15:51
Well on their way to being done Idomeneas. ~D But can't give an exact estimate of the completion date. The chap is from Thessalonika, btw, and I for one can't wait to hear it in-game like we can do for the latin right now.

watch his ''Λ'' accent ~D

just joking offcourse.

What exactly do you need? Im from Piraeus and my bro is sound engineer (serving in the army right now)

jerby
05-21-2005, 23:08
Well on their way to being done Idomeneas. ~D But can't give an exact estimate of the completion date. The chap is from Thessalonika, btw, and I for one can't wait to hear it in-game like we can do for the latin right now.

yeah i heard the comander screaming testudo without teh freaky texan accent. had a good ring to it.

i heard it on the rtr site, with the massive previuew that look like EB. still thinking the two shoudl meet and discus. I can wait another year for teh mod ~;)

Teleklos Archelaou
05-21-2005, 23:13
yeah i heard the comander screaming testudo without teh freaky texan accent. had a good ring to it.

i heard it on the rtr site, with the massive previuew that look like EB. still thinking the two shoudl meet and discus. I can wait another year for teh mod ~;)Not sure what you mean here jerby. The voicemod can be used by RTR as far as I know (though I have not tried it on a version of RTR) and will even work on vanilla now. It is the same voicemod that will work with EB too. A version of the Latin has been released but is not totally done by any stretch. The final one will have at the least the campaign commands too.

jerby
05-21-2005, 23:18
i was just complementing the voice mod team. and stating that the roman factions without the texan-accent (or whatever) give a good authentic feel

About RTR, i was just giving my source where I heard it.

and the next was just another part of a brainless discussion

Shigawire
05-22-2005, 00:12
Well thanks for the compliment. It was my voice you heard in the latin voicemod. ~:)

jerby
05-22-2005, 10:08
sounds nice. good longs probably. altough I though ancients latin would be more fluent

Ranika
05-28-2005, 11:57
A note on Celtic languages:

For Gallic, it is not remotely similar to Gaelic, so Gaelic speakers need not apply here; the language is almost entirely different. Preference is for Latin speakers, because it should sound fairly similar, and we have several already I'm quite sure. Latin and Gallic both heavily affected eachother into this period. Many Latin words have Gallic roots, due to a great deal of trade and war. Likewise, many Gallic words have a kind of Latin sound to them, and were inversely affected by the accents in the Italic peninsula (as well as Greece, so Greek speakers may be useful too).

For the British language; the Britons spoke some Gallic and some P-Celtic languages. We're using a mix. Once again, Latin speakers are preferred. The P-Celtic stuff may be a bit tough for you, but we can feel you through it. Hebrew speakers are also welcome, because there was a good deal of semetic influence in the language, and it likely affected the accent; this comes from centuries of trade with Phoenicians and the like. Modern Welsh is essentially no good, the accent is likely all wrong (too much Latin, Gaelic, Anglo-Saxon, and Norman influence, in that order) and pronunciations are different. It's easier to teach some one from scratch with a more similar accent then to tell you to forget everything you know, if you understand my meaning.

The Iberians I believe we're opting to use Latin for; I'm aware they aren't Celts, but many spoke a few different Celtic languages. No one confirms for me what exactly we're doing for them. I was thinking of using a stripped down Q-Celtic (from which the Gaelic languages stem; it held on in much of Iberia and parts of eastern Europe as well, but for our purposes, Iberia is all that matters here, it spread from there into Ireland). However, we have a number of options, and I don't think we're ready to recruit any speakers until we decide what is being done with it. Like with Welsh though, if we use stripped down Q-Celtic, Gaelic speakers won't be able to help that much. Accents will be all wrong, they've changed far too much, the language would look totally foreign. Aside from grammar, you'd be looking at an almost completely different language than what you may understand, and it's really just easier to teach somebody from scratch to pronounce some phonetics than try and read an improvised language and bringing in their own subconscious linguistic biases about pronunciation. This is not a dig at anyone (I am actually a native of the Gaeltacht, and Irish is my first language); I'm simply saying, that it's just not something you can be used for without it sounding incorrect. No matter how much one tries to clean their accents, it can be very difficult to pronounce what one needs appropriately.

I should note, it is most unlikely Q-Celtic will be used for the Iberians, but we really don't know what we're doing right now for it, so please please don't assume you can help with it yet, until we have something more final for them.

TheTank
05-28-2005, 12:59
Ranika if Gallic and Geallic are so different to each other why are these languages placed in the same celtic language family?
What is the reason that they are placed in the same "group" ?!

Ranika
05-28-2005, 13:01
They aren't. Gaelic is placed in the Q or 'Goidilic' family. Gallic is in the 'Continental' family. Saying a language is 'Celtic' is pretty broad; Celts covered most of Europe, and developed multiple, distinct lingual families. Should also point out, even IF Gaelic languages descended directly from Gallic, there's a disparity of time; modern Q-Celtic languages are extremely different than they were even only a few centuries ago, try compounding two millenia of changes and shifts onto it. Gallic and Gaelic being related is a misconception brought on by people who think since the names sound similar, they must be the same. They do share some words and a few grammatical rules, but they aren't remotely similar aside from those, and far too different to say that Gaelic and Gallic are the same. There are words in Welsh that are also in Irish, and any speaker of either can tell you the languages are distantly related at best.

Krusader
06-02-2005, 05:48
I speak Norwegian, with a northern Norwegian dialect (Finnmark).

I also speak Finnish, but with a heavy Norwegian-Swedish accent.

khelvan
06-05-2005, 17:36
We could really use an Ossetian speaker.

Shambles
06-05-2005, 17:39
They aren't. Gaelic is placed in the Q or 'Goidilic' family. Gallic is in the 'Continental' family. Saying a language is 'Celtic' is pretty broad; Celts covered most of Europe, and developed multiple, distinct lingual families. Should also point out, even IF Gaelic languages descended directly from Gallic, there's a disparity of time; modern Q-Celtic languages are extremely different than they were even only a few centuries ago, try compounding two millenia of changes and shifts onto it. Gallic and Gaelic being related is a misconception brought on by people who think since the names sound similar, they must be the same. They do share some words and a few grammatical rules, but they aren't remotely similar aside from those, and far too different to say that Gaelic and Gallic are the same. There are words in Welsh that are also in Irish, and any speaker of either can tell you the languages are distantly related at best.

Im fluent in welsh its my 1st language,
I dont understan the irish at all when the speak gaelic,
And im shure any irish person fluent in galic would say the same about welsh,
The languages are EXTREAMLY difrent,

ShambleS
:bow:

Ps
In the welsh to hebrew post,
I only understood 1 word,
and that was Gwirion, Which actualy means stupid,

Are you shure thats welsh?
Or is it An old version of welsh that no one has heard in years

Simetrical
06-05-2005, 20:53
I understood more than one word of the Hebrew, but I still didn't understand most of it. I chalked it up to a combination of nonstandard transliteration and my imperfect knowledge of the language.

-Simetrical

Ranika
06-06-2005, 00:03
Modern Welsh and Bretonic (the only P-Celtic languages still in use) are only influenced by Semitic languages, but not in the same lingual family by any means. Of course, they were likely much closer in bygone periods to the languages in question, as British proto-Welsh and related languages have been affected as well by the Latin, Saxon, Norman, English, and Gaelic languages, so we can't expect modern Welsh to really be that similar to earlier languages, though grammar and such may hold some ties to the older influences.

SaFe
06-13-2005, 12:22
To all of you, who volunteered to do sounds and voices for the germanics:

Please contact me directly at s.fenrich@web.de

You need naturally some recording instruments.

Thanks in advance.

Iustinus
06-21-2005, 13:59
Hey all!
I read the post on how a person speaking a latin language was needed for Gallic- my family is from the Alps of north Italy and speaks Lombard, which basically is vulgar latin dialect very influenced by Gallic and very very slightly influenced by the Lombards. Alot of words have Gallic origin, I'm no expert but from what I've seen perhaps there are more then in all the other gallo-italic languages. French seems to be too influenced by Germanic languages to me.
Other then that, I've read that Gallic languages are thought to be Brythonic so, although Welsh and Breton have changed much, they would probably be a bit closer then Gaelic or Latin languages. But, the Gallic fragments I've seen were very very similar to Latin languages both grammatically and by vocabulary.
So, if help is needed let me know.
Thanks!
Justin

Ranika
06-21-2005, 14:08
Gallic is far closer to Latin; the Brythonic theory is a rather old, and outdated one. The P-Celtic and Q-Celtic languages are all dissimilar from it, and it is best to have a Latin or Greek speaker do Gallic.

However, any speaker ready to record, is good. We do need speakers. Perhaps I can help coach the sound. We do need a good voice actor for the Gauls and Britons.

Ace Cataphract
06-27-2005, 07:09
I would be glad to help with the voices if I can. I've learned

I'm fluent in Spanish and English (I learned Spanish about a year before English),

I took Italian for 4 years in school from 5th to 8th grade and got A+s every year, I've been an Honors student in German for 2 years in High School and honestly speak better German than Italian since I learned from an infinitely better teacher that actually taught us more than the present tense. I took a couple of weeks of Koine Greek until the priest that was teaching the subject couldn't teach us because he was too busy with his duties. I still remember the alphabet and pronunciation and some parts of the declension I learned.

I've been exposed to Latin due to the fact that many friends study it and I know the rules of pronunciation, but not really anything else besides that.

I would be worthless translating ancient or classical languages, but I can be a voice actor. Give me the accent marks, and the rules of the alphabet (ie, the Spanish J sounds like the English H and the German J sounds like the English Y) and I'll correctly pronounce anything you give me.

NghtLght
07-18-2005, 18:14
I am POrtuguese, i speek spanish too, if you want some help with spain amnd lusitania, just say something. I speek english fluently too.
hugofreboredo@netcabo.pt

Soulforged
08-03-2005, 09:44
Hey i actually thought that the words on gallic (gaul) were pretty damn difficult to pronounce (at least to an hispanic) while actually the latin is very easy to me.

Divinus Arma
08-06-2005, 18:15
Here is the quick question, with background info following if you care to read on.

(1) Does EB have a composer on board for new music?

(2) If So, will the composer categorize the new music?

Not to compare, but I have heard people gripe about RTR's music. I didn't find it all that bad. My only complaint is that there was not enough new music, so many of the same songs are looped excessively. I also noticed that song placement in relation to category was essentially ignored.

Vanilla ran four general song categories:

(1) Campaign background

(2) Deployment

(3) March to objective

(4) On cue at a prescribed unit distance, beginning of combat.

While I enjoyed the change of music in RTR, I enjoyed the song categories established by CA far more. It truly added an environmental submersion element. I found it unfortunate that RTR did not seperate their songs into these categories.

I would offer my services, but I have no skill or talent. :embarassed:

Div

saulot333
09-30-2005, 21:46
Khelvan, are you still searching for a composer to recruit? I told about EB to a good friend of mine, an awesome composer, and he said is gonna give a shot creating some good tracks. Right now he is collecting samples. I already posted this on the TWC forums, so answer wherever you want. I know you (and the rest of the team, of course) are working hard for the beta but I'd really appreciate a swift answer. Thanks.