PDA

View Full Version : help yet again with homework

ICantSpellDawg
05-12-2005, 19:12
question A2
If charters were the only materials preserved from Anglo-Saxon England, how far could we go in reconstructing that world? What areas would be well illuminated? What areas of life would be left largely (or wholly) in the dark?

question B1
From about 850 on the various sources we have read (The Chronicle, the Life of Alfred, even some of the poetry) are obsessed with the Viking invasion and settlements. Do you agree with this assessment of the Anglo-Saxon world view as it is reflected in the material we have read? Use the various relevent sources to support your view - and you are free to disagree with the assertion.

i need answers or ideas ASAP

The Wizard
05-12-2005, 19:38
Methinks this is for the Monastery, but here goes nothing...

Question A2:
Certainly a reconstruction highlighting the monarchy, nobility and fighting class; charters mostly ignored the general populace (as in those not useful for war/not very useful for taxing). However I do not know what 'general populace' was in Anglo-Saxon England, since in a Germanic society, every man was eligible to fight.

Question B1:
Well, my personal opinion is that it's not entirely correct, since Vikings never had much interest in pillaging the countryside. Besides that -- if these chronicles mentioned in the question go from 850 to the 11th century -- the only real threat to Anglo-Saxon kingdoms was present in the time of such Viking seakings as Ivar the Boneless; after 900 it died down, while the revival of viking power was much more 'peaceful': i.e. with less of the destructive raiding and such things, with most of the fighting being centered around York.

Hope this helps,

~Wiz