PDA

View Full Version : If Bush was the president of Indonesia....

bmolsson
05-16-2005, 08:47
....then there would be a lot of democrats in jail..... ~D

Law on 'insulting' rulers attacked

The Jakarta Post, Jakarta

Dubbed a country undergoing the transition to democracy, Indonesia still appears unable to make a clean break with the old perceptions that consider the ruler and symbols of the state sacrosanct.

Two students are standing trial on charges of insulting the President and Vice President during two separate rallies against the government. They each face jail terms of up to six years.

Prosecutors demanded on Thursday a 10-month jail term for Bay Harkat Firdaus, a Syarif Hidayatullah State Islamic University (UIN) student here, for burning pictures of President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono and Vice President Yusuf Kalla during a protest against the fuel price increases last month.

He is charged under article 134 of the Criminal Code on intentionally insulting the head of state and state officials.

Meanwhile, Indonesian National Student Movement (GMNI) member Monang Johannes Tambunan stands accused of publicly insulting the head of state, an offense that carries a maximum of six years in jail, during a rally to mark Susilo's 100th day in office in January.

The two students have been detained by prosecutors.

Frans Hendra Winata of the National Law Commission regretted the prosecution of students for expressing their discontent with the government.

"A demonstration is one way for members of the public to get their voices heard. They can express their views through protests, anger, etc.," Frans said.

A president, he added, should not necessarily feel disturbed by such protests,

"Susilo was directly elected with more than 60 percent of the vote -- there is no doubt about his legitimacy. He does not have to respond to such expressions of discontent. All he needs to do is display a democratic attitude and prove the critics wrong through his successes," Frans said.

He suggested that Susilo emulate the practice in the United States, where citizens are not prosecuted for criticizing their president, and are free to say whatever they like about the chief executive.

Frans pointed out that the prosecution of citizens for insulting the head of state dated back to colonial days, when the government was at pains to prevent people in the colony from insulting the queen.

Despite the fact that Indonesia played a leading role in the campaign for decolonization around the globe following its independence in 1945, the governments of six presidents have since maintained the colonial legacy intact.

Other colonial legal provisions that the government has maintained include the wide-ranging criminal libel law, which is often used to muzzle the press.

Frans said that a demonstration, even if it involved insults against the head of state, was not a crime.

"It's a way of exercising freedom of expression and freedom of speech," he said.

Political observer Fachry Ali was more cautious, saying that the courts should be the last resort in dealing with acts or words that were deemed insulting.

"What we have to do first is to warn the protesters against committing any acts that may be deemed insulting," he said.

He said that if the offense involved a university student, law enforcers should ensure that he was formally reprimand by his rector.

"There must be an element of education involved," he said.

He said that it was necessary to promote ethical ways of criticizing others.

"If you want to make the criticism sharper, just put the facts to the fore," Fachry said.

He suggested that people focus their criticism on the government's anticorruption drive. (004)

Al Khalifah
05-16-2005, 09:46
Well he's had his two terms in the USA. Off to Jakarta for GW...

Ja'chyra
05-16-2005, 10:08
Never mind Bush, imagine if BP was the president of Indonesia???????

Damn

InsaneApache
05-16-2005, 10:32
Dont give Bliar any more ideas!!!! ~:eek:

TonkaToys
05-16-2005, 14:01
Well in English Law, the sentence for High Treason was hanging until 1998.

encyclopedia.LearnThis.info (http://encyclopedia.learnthis.info/t/tr/treason.html)

The English Statute of Treasons (1350) distinguished high treason from petty treason. Petty treason was the murder of one's lawful superior, such as when a wife killed her husband, or a servant his master. High treason covered acts that constituted a serious threat to the stability or continuity of the state, including attempts to kill the king, to counterfeit coins or to wage war against the kingdom. An 18th century law defines four basic types of high treason:

1) When a man doth compass or imagine the death of our lord the king, of our lady his queen, or of their eldest son and heir
2) If a man do violate the king's companion, or the king's eldest daughter unmarried, or the wife of the king's eldest son and heir
3) If a man do levy war against our lord the king in his realm
4) If a man be adherent to the king's enemies in his realm, giving to them aid and comfort in the realm, or elsewhere.

The punishment for treason was often extended and was an especially cruel death (treason was still theoretically punishable by death in Britain until 1998). The law was used in England to suppress any resistance to government policy and it was not reformed until the 19th century.

So you could be hanged for imagining the death of the Royal Family... nowadays it has been changed to life imprisonment.

Al Khalifah
05-16-2005, 15:01
I scrunched up a five pound note once as a child. The five pound note had a picture of the Queen on it.... I had visions... oh no its happening again...

Save me! SAVE ME!!

The Stranger
05-17-2005, 08:32
if bush was the president of indonesia he would be]

sending troops to Australia to fight the evil regime of kangarus the second, that is suppressing the minority in the desert. he goes out to answer the desperate cry of the s'itic desert mouse, cuz the evil kangarus the 2nd had sprayed their houses with nuclear milk a year ago. Australia is on the verge of a Austrlian continental war, cuz Cangarus is sending his para-emoes to conquer Sidney

TonkaToys
05-17-2005, 08:56
I scrunched up a five pound note once as a child. The five pound note had a picture of the Queen on it.... I had visions... oh no its happening again...

Save me! SAVE ME!!

It's the :hanged: for you!

Byzantine Prince
05-17-2005, 10:01
Never mind Bush, imagine if BP was the president of Indonesia???????

Damn
I would be considered a hero. ~D

bmolsson
05-18-2005, 02:46
I would be considered a hero. ~D

I am sure your name was Arjuna in another life..... ~;)