PDA

View Full Version : "Don't tell me no lies, and keep your hands to yourself"

Don Corleone
05-16-2005, 19:11
No, this isn't a thread about those one-hit wonders, the Georgia Satellites. Apparently, hugging has been banned.

Hands OFF! (http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050516/D8A3V3381.html)

While I don't agree with the policy, I do understand it with all the sexual harrassment lawsuits being filed in middle & high school (no kidding). I do find the mother's hysteria about the fundamental right to hug being stripped away a little comical. She clearly never attended Catholic school, where that wasn't a detention, that was a ruler to the back of the head & 3 rosaries (speaking from experience).

Fragony
05-16-2005, 19:20
Why can't young couples hug? Who makes up this stuff?

Byzantine Prince
05-16-2005, 19:22
~:grouphug:

Ronin
05-16-2005, 19:33
bombing a country back to the stone age - ok
a 14 year old hugging her boyfriend -wrong

i´m gonna sit down somewere quiet and try to figure this one out.... :dizzy2:

Lazul
05-16-2005, 19:50
:thinking: ..... that has to be the most stupid rule I have ever heard of.

well, I presume this isnt something common in the US, right?

Don Corleone
05-16-2005, 19:59
Were it common, do you think it would be a news item on DrudgeReport or MyWayNews?

Again, I believe it's got more to do with the school not wanting some girl's father suing them for not preventing sexual harassment then it does with a return to puritanical sexual ethics. A 6 year old boy got expelled from school and labelled a 'sex offender' for kissing a girl on the cheek in his class (in Texas, I believe).

No tolerane=no intelligence policies are all the rage in American schools right now. And before you all start whining about Republicans, it's the Democrats that overwhelmingly control the teachers' unions. And most teachers/administrators are Democrats. Sorry, you'll need to see Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi about this one...

Lazul
05-16-2005, 20:03
Were it common, do you think it would be a news item on DrudgeReport or MyWayNews?

Again, I believe it's got more to do with the school not wanting some girl's father suing them for not preventing sexual harassment then it does with a return to puritanical sexual ethics. A 6 year old boy got expelled from school and labelled a 'sex offender' for kissing a girl on the cheek in his class (in Texas, I believe).

No tolerane=no intelligence policies are all the rage in American schools right now. And before you all start whining about Republicans, it's the Democrats that overwhelmingly control the teachers' unions. And most teachers/administrators are Democrats. Sorry, you'll need to see Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi about this one...

Don, man, calm down hehe, I have no intention of bash anyone... republican or democrat. (could be since im far to left to like either of them ~;) )

and well, I didnt expect it to be common, sounds to absurd. But, the whole "suing-issue" (wich seams to be common in the US) needs to be fixed.
How come its so "easy" to get people suied? ~:confused:

Fragony
05-16-2005, 20:08
[QUOTE=Don Corleone]
/QUOTE]

But that is just sick, who thinks of sex when a 6 year old boy kisses a girl? Absolutely rediculous, this is creating a type of social control that is all about exploiting($$) others whenever the chance presents itselve.

Byzantine Prince
05-16-2005, 20:14
and well, I didnt expect it to be common, sounds to absurd. But, the whole "suing-issue" (wich seams to be common in the US) needs to be fixed.
How come its so "easy" to get people suied? ~:confused:
It's the Democrats that pass the sexual harrasment laws. :furious3:

Don Corleone
05-16-2005, 20:20
Ask Aurilean. He's a good Democrat, and a trial attorney. I'm sure he can make the ironclad case for all of this, and I'm sure it has nothing to do with their billable hours.

Templar Knight
05-16-2005, 20:51
good grief - well what do you expect? ~:handball:

the world needs more love :love:

Duke Malcolm
05-16-2005, 22:11
I hope that that sort of thing never happens here. There is an awful lot of hugging that goes on here...

Alexander the Pretty Good
05-16-2005, 23:12
The problem is the US's over-litigiousness.

It's funny. I'd bet that the same people who complain about this would also complain if Bush tried to cap settlements about these things. I don't know for sure, but I have my suspicions.

Proletariat
05-16-2005, 23:26
And to think what (http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article1037207.ece) you characters get away with.

Don Corleone
05-16-2005, 23:29
She was 19.

1) Why shouldn't be free to strip if she so desired?

but, more importantly...

2) Why was she not only still in high school, but running for the assmebly presidency? "Uh, I stayed back 2 years in a row, but I think I'm a good role model and leader..." Uhm, how about if you work on getting your uneducated ass out of school before assuming leadership positions, sweetie?

Byzantine Prince
05-16-2005, 23:30
I'm moving to Norway... ~D

Education varies. In quebec it's not weird if you finish highschool when you're 20.

Big King Sanctaphrax
05-16-2005, 23:34
Why was she not only still in high school, but running for the assmebly presidency? "Uh, I stayed back 2 years in a row, but I think I'm a good role model and leader..." Uhm, how about if you work on getting your uneducated ass out of school before assuming leadership positions, sweetie?

I'm by no means sure, but perhaps High School takes longer in Norway? I mean, I graduated from high school at 15-that's how it works in the UK. Education systems vary.

Byzantine Prince
05-16-2005, 23:41
Holy crap BKS!!! You're done high school??!? What do you do now?

Big King Sanctaphrax
05-16-2005, 23:42
I'm doing my A-levels at a sixth form college. I'll be there till I'm seventeen, then it's off to uni (hopefully).

A.Saturnus
05-17-2005, 00:06
Don, I think you just have way to much lawyers.

Steppe Merc
05-17-2005, 00:15
Quite stupid. At least it isn't highschool , cause everyone would get in trouble well, all the good looking ones and the lucky bastards...
Well, it will lessen the amount of scary ugly people groping in the halls... :dizzy2:
But this is really stupid. I mean a detintion? And it's not even like kissing or something, but hugging? Who thinks up of these stupid things?

I'm by no means sure, but perhaps High School takes longer in Norway? I mean, I graduated from high school at 15-that's how it works in the UK. Education systems vary.
~:eek: Tutor me, please... ~D

Wait... oh, college and universities aren't the same thing over there? I think that's the difference...
Cause if you're out at 17, that's only a year less than when kids here graduate high school, and then can go to college (universities, same thing).

LittleGrizzly
05-17-2005, 00:21
And to think what you characters get away with.

damn was expecting pictures..

I graduated from high school at 15-that's how it works in the UK. Education systems vary.

15!?! i thought it was 16 ? or were you born late in the school year ?

seems a bit crazy to me, is there more lawsuits in the US than other places ?

Big King Sanctaphrax
05-17-2005, 00:21
Wait... oh, college and universities aren't the same thing over there? I think that's the difference...
Cause if you're out at 17, that's only a year less than when kids here graduate high school, and then can go to college (universities, same thing).

Yes, I believe that's how it works. I should also point out that most people finish their A-levels at 18-I'm the youngest in my year though, as my birthday is in the August after the exams. So, I'm an exception.

How long do you spend in college and university? A standard degree course here is three years, so a normal undergraduate will have their Bachelor's degree by 21.

Steppe Merc
05-17-2005, 00:30
Well most of the times undergraduate is 4. But then people can get more fancy letters on their name, like PHD and stuff.

Gregoshi
05-17-2005, 03:53
Kissing cousins ... Natalie Portman shaves her head ... no hugging in school ...

What does it all mean?! I'm sooooooo confused today. :dizzy2: Er, I mean more than usual.

Gawain of Orkeny
05-17-2005, 07:00
Tutor me, please...

Yes their HS is our JR HS and their college is our HS. University is the same in both I believe though we dont seperate colleges from universities here.

Dîn-Heru
05-17-2005, 08:23
She was 19.

1) Why shouldn't be free to strip if she so desired?

but, more importantly...

2) Why was she not only still in high school, but running for the assmebly presidency? "Uh, I stayed back 2 years in a row, but I think I'm a good role model and leader..." Uhm, how about if you work on getting your uneducated ass out of school before assuming leadership positions, sweetie?

She did not run to become class president, she ran to become Russ-president. And that is a different matter entirely.

School starts at age 6, I think, it changed some years ago, from 7-6, (but could be from 6-5). Then you have compulsuary (sp?) for twelve years. seven years in basic school, three in junior high (youth school), then three in high school (advanced school/ videregående).

In the final year of school most are 18 or becoming 18 during the fall semester. If you are born early in the year you are 19 when you graduate.
In the final year we have this tradition where the seniors are called Russ. This is a tradition to celebrate that 12 years of school has ended. Culminating on our Constitution day. What this celebration involve is generally alot of drinking and pushing of limits.

The position which this student ran for is basically partyking/queen number 1. (And dealing with the police and school authorities if the Russ does something wrong). It does not involve to much power and responsibility, and it is basically just having a laugh.

The Russe tradition is perhaps not something to be particullary proud of, but it sure as hell was a lot of fun.

Steppe Merc
05-17-2005, 13:09
seems a bit crazy to me, is there more lawsuits in the US than other places ?
Yeah. We're sue happy. Like suing McDonalds to make them put "Caution, this is hot" on their cofee, or suing McDonalds because it made someone fat... :dizzy2:

BDC
05-17-2005, 15:53
Remember it's illegal here for a couple under 16 to do anything with each other. And any adults who let them should be arrested too.

Even the minister who put it through said it was rubbish and he didn't want it to actually be implemented, it was just to make imprisoning paedophiles easier or something. Weird.

GoreBag
05-17-2005, 15:58
I'm moving to Norway... ~D

Education varies. In quebec it's not weird if you finish highschool when you're 20.

Uhh...what?

doc_bean
05-17-2005, 17:59
In our high school, you weren't allowed to sit on each others laps.

I think the no hugging rule is definitely a step too far, but you've got to set limits somewhere, after all, you don't expect people at work hugging do you ?

Steppe Merc
05-17-2005, 21:52
Remember it's illegal here for a couple under 16 to do anything with each other. And any adults who let them should be arrested too.
Well, a lot of people break the law, I'm assuming in all highschools, though I just know about mine. And I hardly consider hugging to be under "anything", nor kissing.