PDA

View Full Version : U.S. report links Russians to oil-for-food scandal

Gawain of Orkeny
05-17-2005, 06:19
U.S. report links Russians to oil-for-food scandal
The Associated Press

TUESDAY, MAY 17, 2005
WASHINGTON Russian leaders received millions of dollars in Iraqi oil allocations from top representatives in Saddam Hussein's former government, which hoped to end United Nations penalties against Iraq, U.S. Senate investigators were told.

Saddam's vice president, Taha Yasin Ramadan, told investigators that the allocations had been "compensation for support," according to a report released Monday by the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Investigations Subcommittee.

Russia's Foreign Ministry declined comment on the report. It said it would be "unethical to make any statements" until a UN-appointed commission investigating the oil-for-food program released its third, and probably final, report this summer.

The Senate investigators said their interviews and documents from the former Iraqi government, were additions to evidence from previous inquiries linking Russian officials to abuses in the $64 billion UN program. It was intended to permit Saddam to sell some oil and use the proceeds to buy food, medicine and other humanitarian items.

Among the officials implicated are Alexander Voloshin, former chief of staff to President Vladimir Putin, and a nationalist Russian lawmaker, Vladimir Zhirinovsky.

Mikhail Troyansky, deputy chief of the Foreign Ministry's information department, said Russia had cooperated with the UN commission's investigation, which is led by the former U.S. Federal Reserve chairman, Paul Volcker.

The release of the Senate panel's findings precedes a hearing on Tuesday on Saddam's use of oil vouchers to reward supporters. The vouchers allowed a bearer to buy Iraqi oil at cut-rate prices, which reportedly could be sold for a profit. Saddam also allegedly demanded kickbacks from the oil transactions.

"This is the way Saddam used oil-for-food - to line his own pocket and to curry political favor," said the Senate subcommittee chairman, Norm Coleman, a Republican from Minnesota.

Documents released by the panel last week claimed that the former French interior minister, Charles Pasqua, and a British member of Parliament, George Galloway, also had accepted allocations. Both men deny the charges.

Galloway has said he would appear at the hearing on Tuesday to defend himself; but Coleman said he had yet to be in contact the panel.

Coleman said he had not reached any conclusion about whether the UN secretary general, Kofi Annan, should have been aware of the abuses of vouchers; but the senator renewed his call for Annan to resign.

"It's a matter of accountability," Coleman said.

The latest report by the subcommittee deals with allocations given to Zhirinovsky, Voloshin and Sergey Issakov, an aide to Voloshin.

Investigators said they had interviewed 16 former Iraqi officials, but they identified only Ramadan and Tariq Aziz, the former deputy prime minister.

The report said the Russian Presidential Council, led by Voloshin, received allocations worth more than $16 million, according to Iraq's Oil Ministry.

The subcommittee said Zhirinovsky received allocations worth $8.7 million. On six occasions, investigators said, he sold allotments to the Texas-based oil company, Bayoil, whose owner, David Chalmers, has been indicted on charges related to the oil-for-food scandal.

The panel's report said that about 30 percent of the oil sold in the oil-for-food program had been allocated to Russia, even though Russia is an oil-exporting country.

WASHINGTON Russian leaders received millions of dollars in Iraqi oil allocations from top representatives in Saddam Hussein's former government, which hoped to end United Nations penalties against Iraq, U.S. Senate investigators were told.

Saddam's vice president, Taha Yasin Ramadan, told investigators that the allocations had been "compensation for support," according to a report released Monday by the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Investigations Subcommittee.

Russia's Foreign Ministry declined comment on the report. It said it would be "unethical to make any statements" until a UN-appointed commission investigating the oil-for-food program released its third, and probably final, report this summer.

The Senate investigators said their interviews and documents from the former Iraqi government, were additions to evidence from previous inquiries linking Russian officials to abuses in the $64 billion UN program. It was intended to permit Saddam to sell some oil and use the proceeds to buy food, medicine and other humanitarian items.

Among the officials implicated are Alexander Voloshin, former chief of staff to President Vladimir Putin, and a nationalist Russian lawmaker, Vladimir Zhirinovsky.

Mikhail Troyansky, deputy chief of the Foreign Ministry's information department, said Russia had cooperated with the UN commission's investigation, which is led by the former U.S. Federal Reserve chairman, Paul Volcker.

The release of the Senate panel's findings precedes a hearing on Tuesday on Saddam's use of oil vouchers to reward supporters. The vouchers allowed a bearer to buy Iraqi oil at cut-rate prices, which reportedly could be sold for a profit. Saddam also allegedly demanded kickbacks from the oil transactions.

"This is the way Saddam used oil-for-food - to line his own pocket and to curry political favor," said the Senate subcommittee chairman, Norm Coleman, a Republican from Minnesota.

Documents released by the panel last week claimed that the former French interior minister, Charles Pasqua, and a British member of Parliament, George Galloway, also had accepted allocations. Both men deny the charges.

Galloway has said he would appear at the hearing on Tuesday to defend himself; but Coleman said he had yet to be in contact the panel.

Coleman said he had not reached any conclusion about whether the UN secretary general, Kofi Annan, should have been aware of the abuses of vouchers; but the senator renewed his call for Annan to resign.

The latest report by the subcommittee deals with allocations given to Zhirinovsky, Voloshin and Sergey Issakov, an aide to Voloshin.

Investigators said they had interviewed 16 former Iraqi officials, but they identified only Ramadan and Tariq Aziz, the former deputy prime minister.

The report said the Russian Presidential Council, led by Voloshin, received allocations worth more than $16 million, according to Iraq's Oil Ministry.

The subcommittee said Zhirinovsky received allocations worth $8.7 million. On six occasions, investigators said, he sold allotments to the Texas-based oil company, Bayoil, whose owner, David Chalmers, has been indicted on charges related to the oil-for-food scandal.

The panel's report said that about 30 percent of the oil sold in the oil-for-food program had been allocated to Russia, even though Russia is an oil-exporting country.

It seems theres more still to come.

Papewaio
05-17-2005, 06:22
It is disgusting. And it seems virtually every country has a couple of guys and gals with their fingers in the pie.

I wonder how many are Australians and Kiwis?

Gawain of Orkeny
05-17-2005, 06:33
It is disgusting. And it seems virtually every country has a couple of guys and gals with their fingers in the pie.

I have it on good word from my secret hotline that those that were bribed include Putin and the Russian members of the UN security council.

PanzerJaeger
05-17-2005, 06:57
Someone said in the legality of the iraq war thread that the UNs authority wasnt tarnished because the corruption was in a different sector of the organization.

This new information seems to suggest he directly bought seats on the security council. :no:

Gawain of Orkeny
05-17-2005, 07:07
Someone said in the legality of the iraq war thread that the UNs authority wasnt tarnished because the corruption was in a different sector of the organization.

Reading that is exactly why I posted this. Glad you picked up on it. ~;)

It seems they will be able to connect France and another country to this also.

Ja'chyra
05-17-2005, 08:21
I didn't see any proof in there so, like the WMD, I'll reserve comment for the minute.

Tribesman
05-17-2005, 08:55
Yes Gawain , LOTS more ~D ~D ~D
It seems they will be able to connect France and another country to this also.
Which country would that be then ? ~;) would that be the country with the 52% compared to Russias 30% ? Would that be the country whose military was directly involved in breaches of sanctions under the program ? ~;)
A very nice Senate report ~:cheers: I wonder if George Galloway will use it when he faces the commitee today , after all it did conclude that it had absolutely no evidence that he benefitted financially from the program (though most of the media chose to ignore that part of the findings) .

Al Khalifah
05-17-2005, 09:33
The Russians surely had more interest in Iraq than just oil-for-food. Iraq bought large amounts of weapons systems from Russia and was paying off the debt gradually.

Adrian II
05-17-2005, 10:05
Which country would that be then ? ~;) would that be the country with the 52% compared to Russias 30% ? Would that be the country whose military was directly involved in breaches of sanctions under the program ? ~;)
A very nice Senate report ~:cheers: I wonder if George Galloway will use it when he faces the commitee today , after all it did conclude that it had absolutely no evidence that he benefitted financially from the program (though most of the media chose to ignore that part of the findings) .It seems some members have recurrent reading problems, President Tribesman. Instead of reading and digesting, they post some outside column in the Backroom and then they expect you and me to explain what's in it. If onyl we were paid for the job, we'd be off to that Caribbean island by now. You'd be the President of it, I'd harass you in the local rag with columns written over smouldering diaquiris by the seaside.

Ser Clegane
05-17-2005, 10:15

I sure hope that does not mean that you are going to post that article another couple of times ... 3 1/2 times in your first post surely is enough to make the point :help:

You might want to edit your post a bit, Gawain ~;)

Tribesman
05-17-2005, 11:14
It seems some members have recurrent reading problems
Yep , but after complaining about the UN and Europe for so long you cannot expect some people to face up to facts ~;)
I did like Galloways statement (though he is just another tosser IMO) he gave a Dulles airport , a nice little comment about "school-boy dossiers" , was he reminding people of how some people are following his own governments practice of publishing already discredited and proven false information as facts because they sound good ~D
Anyway forget the diaquris , I will have a crate of Dragon or three ~:cheers:

ICantSpellDawg
05-17-2005, 11:51
the new report, i hear, condemns many: inside and outside of the US

we will see where this goes

i, however, love to see heads role for mismanagement of funds and shady behaviour

Idaho
05-17-2005, 12:31
Looking forward to Galloway giving them hell - dispite my misgivings about the man.

Adrian II
05-17-2005, 12:52
Anyway forget the diaquris , I will have a crate of Dragon or three ~:cheers:We aren't even there yet, and already you're buying media support. Smart move.
Hmm, Dragon.. me like! ~:cool:

Redleg
05-17-2005, 13:01
It seems some members have recurrent reading problems, President Tribesman. Instead of reading and digesting, they post some outside column in the Backroom and then they expect you and me to explain what's in it. If onyl we were paid for the job, we'd be off to that Caribbean island by now. You'd be the President of it, I'd harass you in the local rag with columns written over smouldering diaquiris by the seaside.

Again with the pot calling the kettle black. Now nice. ~;)

Redleg
05-17-2005, 13:02
Looking forward to Galloway giving them hell - dispite my misgivings about the man.

I am to looking forward to what Galloway has to say - hopefully it exposes all the corruption concerning everyone involved with the scandel. Here hoping anyway.

Adrian II
05-17-2005, 13:09
Again with the pot calling the kettle black. Now nice. ~;)It's called humour. As in: Haha, we're joking.

Duke Malcolm
05-17-2005, 13:13
Well, Gorgeous George is in Washington preparing to face the Senate Committee. He is supposed to be saying more about the US's actions in Iraq, though...

Redleg
05-17-2005, 13:50
It's called humour. As in: Haha, we're joking.

Did you not notice the ~;) - I was responding to your humor with humor of my own.

Ja'chyra
05-17-2005, 15:23
It's like one big humourous love triangle

Tribesman
05-17-2005, 15:24
We aren't even there yet, and already you're buying media support. Smart move.
Forget the media support , its in the bag , I have offered Rupert open access , free citizenship , tax exemption and all rights to domestic and international sporting events on a pay per view basis .
To gain foriegn political backing I am offering facilities for Extaordinary Rendition (I will supply the electric cattle prods at a discounted rate) , A Naval base and unrestricted use of aviation facilities .
A few speeches about the threats from Muslims , immigrants , atheists , Europeans and Liberals should just about clinch it , then we will be safe and secure in a freedom loving sun soaked dictatorship , I can almost hear the opposition rattling their chains in futile protest ~;)
Now all I have to do is write to some Texas businessmen to see if they have some discounted fuel left so I can fill up my foriegn aid APCs and I can get them rolling for a little "police action" ~:cheers:
Oh , any harrassment in the local rag Adrian and you will be posted to Iraq , but banned from entering the green zone :scared: