PDA

View Full Version : US troops in Saudi Arabia

Franconicus
05-18-2005, 08:01
Can anybody tell me why there are still US troops in Saudi Arabia? I know they came to protect the Saudis against Saddam, but that should not be an issue anymore. And it is clear that many moslems are very upset about the presence of Christian troops in their holy land.

Al Khalifah
05-18-2005, 09:30
Because Saudi Arabia is a very convenient launching post for American invasions into other Middle Eastern nations such as Iraq.

Franconicus
05-18-2005, 10:09
Because Saudi Arabia is a very convenient launching post for American invasions into other Middle Eastern nations such as Iraq.
Yes, but now Iraq is done.

Al Khalifah
05-18-2005, 10:17
Iran?

Meneldil
05-18-2005, 10:18
Because they are allowed to have troops here since WWII ? (or at least I think so)
Because Saudi Arabia is potentialy the worst fundamentalists and terrorists bed you could find in the world ?

I wish US would have invaded this country, or Pakistan, or Bangladesh rather than Irak ^^

LittleGrizzly
05-18-2005, 10:19
IIRC thier moving the bases from suadi to iraq, or they were planning on.

LittleGrizzly
05-18-2005, 10:22
Because they are allowed to have troops here since WWII ?

I think the troops were stationed there after Saddam invaded Kuwait

Because Saudi Arabia is potentialy the worst fundamentalists and terrorists bed you could find in the world ?

the troops in no way help reduce the fundamentalism and causes anger among some muslims (as saudi is an especially holy place)

Al Khalifah
05-18-2005, 10:25
The Saudi status-quo are probably quite happy for the American troops to remain there because they're good for business.

Meneldil
05-18-2005, 10:33
the troops in no way help reduce the fundamentalism and causes anger among some muslims (as saudi is an especially holy place)

I don't say they would reduce the amount of fundamentalists there (even the saudi gvt can't achieve that), but that this country is a potential danger for the US and the western world.

bmolsson
05-18-2005, 10:56
Maybe the weather is better in Saudi compare to Iraq ??

LittleGrizzly
05-18-2005, 11:08
The Saudi status-quo are probably quite happy for the American troops to remain there because they're good for business.

well ive read and heard quite a bit stating that one reason for anti americanism is troops being stationed in the holy land, Ive heard its one of AQ's pledges to remove them (which points to at least the more extreme elements being upset at it)

local buisnessmen who make profit from the troops im sure would love them to stay

but that this country is a potential danger for the US and the western world.

i would agree, but i don't see how having troops inside the country makes it less of a danger

mercian billman
05-18-2005, 22:54
Iran?

Saudia Arabia doesn't share a border with Iran.