PDA

View Full Version : So how is MP?

ShadeHonestus
05-18-2005, 19:24
Okay, so I've been busy since MTW/VI release, but i find myself with too much time on my hands so I'm going to get RTW. However, what friends have told me and what I've read in the forums seems to say MP is not as good as MTW and Shogun. One of the biggest complaints I've heard about is speed and movement. What are the realities of the MP situation? Many old vets still playing? If its completely fubar is SP good enough to justify buying it?

Thanks and hi to all those who remember me. ~:cheers:

Wishazu
05-18-2005, 19:54
the mp suffers none of the problems of the single player battles as the intelligence of your human opposition tends to be much higher than the AI, though that isnt allways the case, there does tend to be alot of spammers out there who really just waste the time of the people who want to play properly, for instance, me and preston spent ages waiting for a game the other day, our opponents eventually sorted themselves and the game started, thats when we leaqrned that the greek player had spammed with cretans and slingers and had only 3 units of hoplites, this is very annoying as he had let his ally down and was completely annihilated by the balanced armies fielded by myself and preston. this is annoying but not common enough to ruin the overall enjoyment of the game, if you want to play with people who have principles regarding the way the total war games should be played online then check out the CoH, there are a few threads in these forums regarding this society of which i myself am a member :)

Mongoose
05-18-2005, 20:11
"Okay, so I've been busy since MTW/VI release, but i find myself with too much time on my hands so I'm going to get RTW. However, what friends have told me and what I've read in the forums seems to say MP is not as good as MTW and Shogun. One of the biggest complaints I've heard about is speed and movement. What are the realities of the MP situation? Many old vets still playing? If its completely fubar is SP good enough to justify buying it?

Thanks and hi to all those who remember me. "

Read afew of Elmo's post on the 2nd page of the lame cavalry tactic thread.

EDIT: elmarkofear = Elmo

Puzz3D
05-19-2005, 17:42
Wasn't the Shade clan into using Total War games for historical reenactments? If you are hoping for that, forget about it. Despite the implication in the History Channel's Decisive Battles television program that you can reenact historical battles from the period with the game you can't really get anything remotely close to them. The gameplay doesn't allow it, and is more like a typical gamey RTS complete with horses that can jump right over a phalanx, artillery that shoots exploding rocks and fire arrows that work in rain storms and incinerate their targets in 5 seconds.

Mongoose
05-19-2005, 18:59
When playing RTW, you must expect the unrealistic :disappointed: ... :laugh4:

Lord Adherbal
05-19-2005, 19:12
yeah I guess that exactly why a lot of us dislike RTW. Even tho it might be a fun RTS game on it's own I get no satisfaction at all if the battles aren't anywhere near historically correct.

Duke John
05-19-2005, 20:50
Wasn't the Shade clan into using Total War games for historical reenactments? If you are hoping for that, forget about it.
Oi! At least have the decency to wait for the release of the 4th Kawanakajima battle between Uesugi Kenshin and Takeda Shingen made by the Sengoku Jidai team. Please trust me when I say that CA did not utilize the full potential of their current engine.

There is too much complaining going on about jumping horses, hypercharged skirmishers or unbalances in stats. Problems that can easily be fixed with a mod.
If the MP community has any balls it should dare to venture from the original R:TW and start supporting mods.

Lord Adherbal
05-19-2005, 21:31
Please trust me when I say that CA did not utilize the full potential of their current engine.

There is too much complaining going on about jumping horses, hypercharged skirmishers or unbalances in stats. Problems that can easily be fixed with a mod.
If the MP community has any balls it should dare to venture from the original R:TW and start supporting mods.

yup the engine isn't that bad if units are properly balanced. I think me & Buukenshin got it about as close to MTW gameplay as possible (it's still being finetuned) with Chivalry TW. I'm looking forward to SJ aswell, it seems to have some good fundamentals.

ChivTW already has a small MP fanbase. We're having good fun and I'm about to launch a little ladder for those people. With some luck that fanbase can be sustained and maybe even increased untill we release the next beta with Singleplayer Campaign, which should boost the popularity of the mod a great lot and attract a lot of potential multiplayers.

I haven't given up hope on RTW yet - albeit in a modded form. Guess I'll soon know whether that hope was invain or not.

CBR
05-21-2005, 19:27
Hey Honestus, long time no see m8.

I think you can still find some veterans playing RTW but I have given up on it so Im out of touch heh.

CBR

Crandaeolon
05-26-2005, 13:35
Honestus! ~:eek:

Damn, the thread almost slipped under my radar... good to see you, old bugger! ~D

I play RTW occasionally, but it simply isn't as good as the previous titles. I don't care about historical correctness, but still have to echo most of the comments here; RTW isn't balanced enough for playing without rules.

A mod ain't gonna work (except for small, dedicated groups), unless it's somehow sanctioned by CA. The XP is already looming on the horizon, so I doubt that any "community" effort could get finished early enough to be useful.

I for one won't be buying the XP, no matter how good or well-balanced it may be, unless CA changes their patching policy. One patch for a game of such complexity is just ridiculous. In an ideal world, CA's sales would be hurt tremendously for such a lack of support.

Shambles
05-26-2005, 14:19
I sypose if id never played any of the other TW games id have probably loved Rome Bugs and all,

BUT
I bought Shogun from new,
And now also own Medieval,

Personally I Love the battle feel and ambiance of the shogun battles,
And I Prefer MTW for a campaign game,

Unfortunatly, Rome total war Offers me Nothing That I consider to be better than either of the other games Apart from graphix,
And honestly, I couldnt Give a Hoot wether they were little stick men or fully rendered 3d animations with cut sceens for every action.

There can only be 1 mode of play remotley satisfying for rome total war.
And that is multy player.
The campaign mode is terrible,
The bugs make it Virtualy unplayable,
"Ive even been advised by the trading standards to return the game"

However,
In a multiplayer aspect, The game has some potential.
But i would not purchase the game soley for single player games,

In the previous games, (Stw/Mtw) I would play custom battles , And i would enjoy Them.
In rome the ai is so appauling You can just stand there and do virtualy nothing,
And still win.

I wont tell you Not to buy the game,
But i will advize you that It isnt much fun against the AI or in campaign mode.

ShambleS
:bow:

[seminoles]shadow
05-26-2005, 16:31
the MP is the best part of RTW in my opinion because people are not as predictable as AI (the AI in RTW suck!!).

AquaLurker
05-30-2005, 13:38
Yes, love the mp...hate the campaign and AI, you will fall asleep fighting the AI.

Tomisama
05-30-2005, 16:23
Honestus my Liege,

Picking up from where you were when you left, we have faithfully continued the Clan vs. Clan competition concept, up unto the present day. Without your programming skills we have had to use simpler methods, but have been getting the job done with seven major tournaments completed to date.

Rome was developed by a separate team, and does not enjoy the benefits of generational inheritance of it’s predecessors. It is really totally it’s own animal, and has spawned a basically “all new” community of players.

At first it was doubtful that Rome could be used for multiplayer competitions at all. We had to wait for the first patch before we could even consider the possibility. Beyond that we now have two Roman contests running simultaneously. The first one now finishing, had 36 Clans enroll to enjoy the ultimate experience of 4v4 Clan vs. Clan warfare.

http://www.clanwarscomp.org/

Because the “new batch’ of players never had the opportunity to grow up through the previous versions. We have reinstituted the honor society with a new Code of Honor sign-up page, and now our own forum at the Org.

http://www.clanwarscomp.org/codeofhonor

The Code signers, are now sponsoring a scored competition for individuals using the Historical Battles offered by Rome as a platform. This is still in it’s infancy, but I believe will have great potential for folks looking for a “qualified” competition to test their generalship skills against.

http://p067.ezboard.com/bsamuraiclanwars3295

I for one would encourage you to buy Rome and suffer through the start-up and transformation process. Experience it vanilla, and with the great Mods (above in this thread). If you are not comparing, and just experiencing it for what it is, I believe you will see the promise of what could possibly come from all of this.

And we need you man. The community needs you. We are on the threshold of some “really great stuff”! We just have to be looking forward to see it …

Always in your service.

Tomi

runes
05-31-2005, 22:28
i'd say it's about half and half, half awesome battles, half cheap battles. Even if you're just playing with friends online, mp is AWESOME

LittleGrizzly
06-01-2005, 16:44
Honestus long time no see, can't give you any advice on rtw haven't played it yet.

NimbleNota
06-12-2005, 19:27
RTW has two main problems:

Overpowered cav and dis-portioned strength of cav to certain factions (Rome)

And the Speed of the game, such as units, which run go out of proportion to the marching speed.

Well that is just my opinion on the two major problems

P.S. Hey grizz ~:cheers:

ShadeWraith
06-12-2005, 20:21
Wow, just browsing after spending a long time in Planetside and CS:Source. Nice to see some of my ex clan m8's are still around Honestus and Crand ~:wave: and some guys I have had some good battles with in the past too Grizz and CBR. Shades got together on the release of RTW, think we had about 10 of us on 1 night very early in the release. Sad to say we couldnt keep up the enthusiasm, as the series has looked prettier the gameplay has deteriorated. STW was the best and it's gone downhill from there. I have now come to the sad conclusion that the TW franchise is aimed at the SP market and as such I wont be buying any more versions of it unless I can be persuaded that the MP side of the game has an equal priority. Anyhow nice to see some of you old guys around.

Wraith

CMcMahon
06-13-2005, 17:14
I just tried it out for the first time yesterday; it's pretty fun, but one of the guys I played against was tactically inept. He sat his units in one spot for the entire round, and didn't even react when my cavalry came around from behind and beat the crap out of his phalanxes. He also sent six units of Egyptian heavy cavalry at my five Cretan archer groups, and got them all routed.

Imorthorn
06-14-2005, 09:29
dont worry that happens a lot when you play people at multiplayer rome

bencures
06-15-2005, 11:54
hahah yea some people in mp are really dumb but some are great players :D