PDA

View Full Version : UK 'needs to do more' on climate

ShadesWolf
05-18-2005, 21:15
Link to article (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4553077.stm)

The Royal Society, the UK's academy of science, says the government's policies on climate change are not enough to combat the effects of global warming.
It is warning that carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions could increase if the UK becomes more reliant on fossil fuels.

But the government has insisted it remains committed to reducing CO2 emissions by 20% by 2010.

The society published on Monday its response to the current review of the UK climate change programme.

Sir David Wallace, vice president of the Royal Society, said: "There are some tough political decisions to be made, in this parliament, about how the UK manages its seemingly insatiable appetite for energy at a time when cutting emissions of greenhouse gases such as carbon dioxide is imperative.

"This is underlined by the fact that, at the current rate, even the government's revised assessment of how much carbon dioxide the UK will cut is frankly unrealistic."

The Royal Society warns that unless the rate of development of both renewable and energy efficiency measures make up for the loss of capacity resulting from the phasing out of nuclear power, the UK will actually become more reliant on fossil fuels with the result that carbon dioxide emissions will go up rather than down.

The UK's emissions of greenhouse gases rose between 2003 and 2004, according to the government's own data.

The emissions last year were 1.5% above those in 2003, and are now higher than at any time since the Labour government came to power in 1997.

ShadesWolf
05-18-2005, 21:18
The thing I have never been able to get my head round is, we are an island, hence we are surrounded by Water. So why have we not taken advantage of this fact and developed hydro tech to take advantage of the waves.

This would be a fairly green solution and would not upset as many people as the suggestions for the wind farms.

Duke Malcolm
05-18-2005, 21:30
Yes, tidal power and wave power. I always thought that they could erect tidal power barriers in the firths of Forth, Tay, Severn and Thames...

LittleGrizzly
05-18-2005, 22:31
I think Blair was hoping for some cutdown magically happening from the public using less petrol...

Crazed Rabbit
05-18-2005, 22:37
You realize that a recent report said that cutting down CO2 might increase global warming because it decreases the heat blocked, so more sun hits the earth and warms it?

Besides, the enviro-whackos will keep demanding we use less fossil fuels until we use none at all as long as they have some study that shows the earth might warm 1/10 of a degree over 100 years. And if the earth begins cooling, they'll still demand we use less fossil fuels.

Crazed Rabbit

LittleGrizzly
05-18-2005, 22:42
Besides, the enviro-whackos will keep demanding we use less fossil fuels until we use none at all as long as they have some study that shows the earth might warm 1/10 of a degree over 100 years. And if the earth begins cooling, they'll still demand we use less fossil fuels.

slippery slope...

the c02 whackos will keep saying c02 is fine and we'll keep using more and more even if the earth is going to warm us 20 degrees over the next 100 years!

Don Corleone
05-18-2005, 22:42
Hydro-power is not very environmentally friendly either. If you stick it on a river, you dam up the river and screw up wetlands. If you put it out in the tidal basin, as you recommend, you screw up the tides & get algae blooms.

Face it, the only ethical thing for us to do is to go back to our hunter/gatherer roles. Wait, we can't hunt. That's not nice to the animals. Okay, we all need to go build ourselves a shelter someplace, with no metal tools, and forage/scavenge. Mmm... raw acorns and half-rotted oppossum.

All kidding aside... any energy solution you can put forward, including solar, I can make the argument as to why it's not environmentally friendly.

_Martyr_
05-18-2005, 23:20
Lets differentiate between the micro and the macro Don.

Don Corleone
05-18-2005, 23:45
I'm not sure I follow.

_Martyr_
05-19-2005, 00:01
It is misleading to compare localised environmental impact (such as what you outlined above) like the destruction of wetlands by HE developments, and issues such as CO2 emissions which are without a doubt a planet wide issue.