PDA

View Full Version : Anybody for a game of chess

ShadesWolf
05-18-2005, 21:47
I was thinking about having/ setting up a 5 player chess tourni on the server that I play on and calling it 'King of the Org'

It will be play by mail and have a limit of 5 days per move.

Is anybody interested ?

Big_John
05-18-2005, 22:08
how will you prevent participants from using chess programs?

ShadesWolf
05-18-2005, 22:15
You dont, its just down to the members not to do it.

Ive got 71 games on the go at the moments ranging from 2 days per move to 10 day. This will just be a friendly tourni, if people want to cheat then it is very hard to stop them.

Don Corleone
05-18-2005, 22:25
Do you have any programs online for freeware where you can move both players to keep tabs? Also, are we talking about through email? If so, I'm game.

Gawain of Orkeny
05-19-2005, 00:44
Why not play the whole game at once on a chess site? Im game. Ive only played maybe 10 games in the last 20 years but I bet I give you a hell of a fight.

Big King Sanctaphrax
05-19-2005, 00:47
Why not play the whole game at once on a chess site? Im game. Ive only played maybe 10 games in the last 20 years but I bet I give you a hell of a fight.

Modest as ever Gawain. ~;)

Gawain of Orkeny
05-19-2005, 00:51
Modest as ever Gawain.

Of course I am ~:) Did I ever tell you all that I was a member of the New York State high school championship chess team? Or did my modesty prevent me prior to this ~D

PS I have never met a player I couldnt beat.

Big King Sanctaphrax
05-19-2005, 00:57
Of course I am ~:) Did I ever tell you all that I was a member of the New York State high school championship chess team? Or did my modesty prevent me prior to this ~D

PS I have never met a player I couldnt beat.

No, you didn't mention that. I've never been very good at chess. Not patient enough. I always end up making bizarre moves just to see what happens.

Now Risk, that's a real man's game... ~D

Gawain of Orkeny
05-19-2005, 01:04
Now Risk, that's a real man's game...

Not that Im bragging again ~D Bit Ive only lost 1 game of Risk in my life and that was because everyone agreed behind my back to only attack me from the start ~D Its my favorite game in the world. Just take Austrailia and the islands around it plus India and few countries as a buffer and just sit there until youve got all you units on the board and stay out of the rest.

Im so Old my risk set has wooden pieces.

Productivity
05-19-2005, 04:35

If you set this up, I'd be interested to watch it. I'm not sure if I'm up for playing it yet, but I'll certainly be interested.

Don Corleone
05-19-2005, 04:39
Oh come on dgb. Chess is like rugby. You only learn by getting your clock cleaned, and figuring out how to stop it happening. We have another player, for whomever's keeping count. Dgb is in.

Productivity
05-19-2005, 05:12
Oh come on dgb. Chess is like rugby. You only learn by getting your clock cleaned, and figuring out how to stop it happening. We have another player, for whomever's keeping count. Dgb is in.

Actually it wasn't so I can learn, I can play well enough, but I really don't have a couple of hours I can give to playing chess each day, whereas if I can spectate I can sort of transit in and out for a while, and I enjoy watching chess (well any strategic/tactical game really) being played. Maybe in a couple of weeks I'll play.

Since when do Americans know about rugby? ~:)

Don Corleone
05-19-2005, 05:32
I played tight head prop for 3 years when I discovered I wasn't big enough to play offensive guard in American football when I went to University. I cried for a little bit when I learned this, but as I got to hit people anyway, I quickly recovered.

Voigtkampf
05-19-2005, 06:15
Shadeswolf, on which server do you play chess? I’d be willing to join this tournament. ~:cheers:

King Edward
05-19-2005, 09:41
I'd be willing to play, my claim to fame is that i played chess for Guernsey when i was 11..... athough havent moved a piece in anger for about 10yrs.

Gawain of Orkeny
05-19-2005, 10:13
Oh come on dgb. Chess is like rugby. You only learn by getting your clock cleaned, and figuring out how to stop it happening.

I can still remeber learning to play ches from a jewish friend of mine when I was 10. At first I would just try to get everyone in a tight group ~D But you are totally correct. I always played people who would kick my butt. It gives you a much steeper learning curve. Its the same in MTW. I used face Amp day after day. That could really get deppressing after a while. When I made it to the chess team I was the number 4 man. I always practiced against our #1 man. We were so good that when we played they would put me against the other teams first player and I would win at least half my games while the rest of our team wiped out the opposition. But I had a bet with our best player that I could beat him. He said I could play him 100 games and never win. Well I beat him in game #99 ~D Ive never been a quitter as some of you may have noticed. ~;)

Ser Clegane
05-19-2005, 10:28
Ive never been a quitter as some of you may have noticed. ~;)

You're not really are person who sleeps either, are you ~D

I think the last time I played chess was on the chess team of the highschool in the US when I was 16 ... IIRC, I sucked (I was a rather defensive player ... a "camper" :hide: )

Gawain of Orkeny
05-19-2005, 10:52
You're not really are person who sleeps either, are you

I just got home from a private sneak preview of Star Wars. Was only for me and my son. It started at 130am and I just got home. Still too excited to sleep. ~:)

Ser Clegane
05-19-2005, 11:15
I just got home from a private sneak preview of Star Wars. Was only for me and my son.

*turns green with envy*

Productivity
05-19-2005, 15:58
I just got home from a private sneak preview of Star Wars. Was only for me and my son. It started at 130am and I just got home. Still too excited to sleep. ~:)

*thinks time differences are a brilliant thing. ~:)

ah_dut
05-19-2005, 16:16
I was thinking about having/ setting up a 5 player chess tourni on the server that I play on and calling it 'King of the Org'

It will be play by mail and have a limit of 5 days per move.

Is anybody interested ?
I suck beyond all human reckoning but why not?

Rugby is better than American football and you all know it ~D Grrr....I am never large enough to be a proper flanker :embarassed:

AggonyKing
05-19-2005, 16:17
why not do it over at yahoo games. Set up your own table and all.

Somebody Else
05-19-2005, 16:51
Can play chess, but don't generally - lack the patience for it (when I do concentrate, I tend to play a rather defensive, reactive game - the other guy probably wins, but it takes a while)

Don Corleone - tighthead prop! That's the position to be, nothing like getting down and dirty with the opposition (and getting two of them to... nudge... in the scrum is a bonus. Though, next time I start playing, I intend to play somewhere different - more suited to my size (whoever heard of a six foot one prop?). Flanker sounds good - if a little energetic for my current body...

ah_dut
05-19-2005, 19:30
Don Corleone - tighthead prop! That's the position to be, nothing like getting down and dirty with the opposition (and getting two of them to... nudge... in the scrum is a bonus. Though, next time I start playing, I intend to play somewhere different - more suited to my size (whoever heard of a six foot one prop?). Flanker sounds good - if a little energetic for my current body...
Our tighthead prop is 6'1'' and our other prop is 6'2''...but they're too bliddy tall...the lock is a mere 5'1'' ~D and I am the shortest flanker in the history of rugby...5'6'' I am midget mania 2005...for a rugby player anyways. Flanker does'nt require that much vigour anyways, just a lot of tackliong and rucking and mauling...which ain't terrible great for a person of my size and weight...

Ahh Somebody Else, you play chess just like me...except I am the worst chess player you'll ever see ~D

ShadesWolf
05-19-2005, 20:29
The website I use is called Lets play chess.com (http://www.letsplaychess.com) it is a members site and costs £10 to joins per years (approx $15)

The good thing about it is I can invite you to a game for free, so creating a tourni is no problem. All I need is an email address and what user name you want.

so the first three to PM the info to me will be in. I will set the tourni up as five days per move unless you want it as two days per move. Just to let you know what that means, each player will have two days to make a move, if they dont then the other player after the time limit is up is allowed to claim a win on that game if they want. you can make as many or as few moves as you want.

So who is up for it then. First come, first served.

Evil_Maniac From Mars
05-19-2005, 21:42
Did I tell you I learned chess from my dad, who qualified for the Canadian Nationals and placed 2nd in Ontario? I placed 2nd in my school board 1 year.

Goofball
05-19-2005, 21:48

One question Pointdexter... oops, I mean Gawain: Since when did "modesty" ever prevent somebody from admitting that they were on their high school chess team?

*cough*nerd*cough*

:glasses2:

hehe...

Gawain of Orkeny
05-19-2005, 22:01
One question Pointdexter... oops, I mean Gawain: Since when did "modesty" ever prevent somebody from admitting that they were on their high school chess team?

I also was on the #3 ranked wrestling team in HS and division champs all 3 years I wwas there. I was also a member of the soccer team. Again league champs and second in the state only to a much larger team. We had 13 players total. Man you got winded. In my spare time I was also on the tennis team. If anyone thinks tennis is nerdy or easy they havent tried it. So I was a 3 letter man nerd. You see I really am modest. You had to drag this from me kicking and screaming. ~D

ShadesWolf
05-21-2005, 10:54
So do I assume that we have no interest in this idea.

I will cancel the Tourni I have set up then.