PDA

View Full Version : US anger at Saddam underwear shot

ShadesWolf
05-20-2005, 14:30
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41166000/jpg/_41166891_sun203.jpg

Nice story guys, good way to upset half the world.

The US military says it is investigating "aggressively" after a picture appeared in a British paper showing Saddam Hussein half naked.
The Sun newspaper's front page image showed the former Iraqi president in a pair of white underpants.

Other pictures showed Saddam Hussein washing his socks in a bowl, shuffling around and sleeping on his bed.

The US said the photos appeared to breach Geneva Convention rules on the humane treatment of prisoners of war.

"Multinational Forces-Iraq is disappointed at the possibility that someone responsible for the security, welfare, and detention of Saddam would take and provide these photos for public release," a statement from the US-led force said.

"This lapse is being aggressively investigated to determine, if possible, who took the photos, and to ensure existing procedures and directives are complied with to prevent this from happening again."

'Compelling image'

The Sun refused to say how it got hold of the pictures, or when they were taken, insisting it needed to protect its sources.

It defended its decision to publish them.

We thought long and hard about publishing, and took the decision that they're such incredible pictures of the world's most brutal dictator... they were a compelling image that any newspaper or broadcaster would publish," the paper's managing editor, Graham Dudman, told the BBC News website.

The Sun cited US military sources saying they handed over the pictures showing Saddam as "an ageing and humble old man" in the hope of dealing a blow to the resistance in Iraq.

"It's important that the people of Iraq see him like that to destroy the myth," the paper said the source said.

Saddam Hussein is awaiting trial on numerous charges in Iraq, including murdering rivals, gassing Iraqi Kurds and using violence to suppress uprisings.

It is not clear when he will go on trial.

The official US military statement said the pictures might be a year old.

They show Saddam with a moustache, rather than the beard he sported when he was captured in December 2003, and again when he appeared in court last July.

The Sun said the former Iraqi leader, 68, was allowed black hair dye to disguise his grey hair.

The paper said Saddam Hussein is kept in a 12ft by 9ft (4m x 3m) cell "somewhere near Baghdad", that he has a desk and a pink plastic chair "which he tends to use as a bedside table".

He is watched round the clock through CCTV cameras, even when he goes to the toilet, the paper said.

The source added that Saddam was one of the best behaved prisoners they had had, it said.

Ser Clegane
05-20-2005, 14:40
While I am surprised (well ... perhaps not really) that the Sun feels compelled to make this the top news, I think the Sun has shown considerably worse on their title page.

I wonder if half the world really will get upset about it (I assume you are referring to muslims). After all, what we are seeing here is a murderer of countless muslims and some of his followers are still going around murdering muslims in Iraq.

Fragony
05-20-2005, 14:46
Rediculous.

ShadesWolf
05-20-2005, 14:48
I was not only thinking of Muslims.

I thought about America herself, how it would respond to the pictures being aid.

You would have expected it to be a top security prison, yet first the pictures have been taken, and secondly they have been passed onto theh sun.

Ser Clegane
05-20-2005, 14:52
I thought about America herself, how it would respond to the pictures being aid.

You would have expected it to be a top security prison, yet first the pictures have been taken, and secondly they have been passed onto theh sun.

Good point - the fact that somebody in this prison leaked the pictures is actually more newsworthy than the fact that Saddam is wearing ugly underwear.

Adrian II
05-20-2005, 14:55
The real prison news is in The New York Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/20/international/asia/20abuse.html?ei=5094&en=6cca0512a38427c3&hp=&ex=1116648000&partner=homepage&pagewanted=print) today. I guess American media aren't all pathetic after all.

barocca
05-20-2005, 15:01
i want you all to take a deep breath,
look carefully at the underpants

now follow closely and enunciate clearly...
"pho" "toe" "shop" "ed"

i think what we really need to do is send the Sun a big thank you that someone on their staff "added" undies to what would otherwise have been a GROSS pic...

and the pic breaches the geneva conventions,
but then,
as far as i recall, chopping heads of civilians while videotaping them and then giving the tape to TV stations is not in the geneva convention either...
...i best go look that up, just to be sure....

BDC
05-20-2005, 15:05
It's a good way to destroy any remaining authority he had.

Of course some religious fanatics will find a way to get annoyed about this, they always do.

LittleGrizzly
05-20-2005, 15:10
i want you all to take a deep breath,
look carefully at the underpants

now follow closely and enunciate clearly...
"pho" "toe" "shop" "ed"

you sure ?

The real prison news is in The New York Times today. I guess American media aren't all pathetic after all.

surely deserving of its own topic adrian ?

Shambles
05-20-2005, 15:25
Yeah saw the paper this morning thouht it was Wrong,
But what do u expect from the sun,
mostly perverts and people who wont buy a tv gide buy it,
theres never anything worth reading in it.

and dosent displaying pictures of prizoners in theis manner breaks some laws?
Like the geniva convention?
Not that it matters any more What with Yanks saying it dosent affect them so lets torture muslims untill thy say they are terrorists In guantanomo
Let alone Insult (for want of a better word) some religions.

But having said That I wasnt to Happy about CNN and there Live covarage of the twin towers afair,
Was more of a Guess which window theyl jumpout of next thing.
Anything for a bit more Viewers/readers

Its a good think im not in charge though,
Id nuke the Whole human race including me,
Cos Humans Really agrivate me

Templar Knight
05-20-2005, 15:39
The Sun has sunk to new levels

Is it really the most read paper in the UK? - says alot

ichi
05-20-2005, 15:51
CIA agent: "OMG I can't believe that you printed those photos *wink*.

We are going to aggressively find out who shot those pics because Saddam was under the tightest securit in the entire history of the world and we have no idea who got in his cell with a camera *wink*.

This is horrible and violates several conventions and just because it humiliates him and shows he is no longer a threat we totally hate you for printing it you lovely bastards *wink wink*"

ichi :bow:

BTW I refuse to look at his crotch to see if its been doctored

Beirut
05-20-2005, 16:01
The link that AdrianII provided is scary as hell.

If it's true, heads should roll.

English assassin
05-20-2005, 16:01
BTW I refuse to look at his crotch to see if its been doctored

Aha, so THAT's where he hid all those WMD then....

"No, no, Herr Blix, that's not 40 tonnes of Sarin, I'm just pleased to see you..."

Devastatin Dave
05-20-2005, 18:07
I hope I look that good in BVD's when I'm his age!!! ~D

Byzantine Prince
05-20-2005, 18:29
Good point - the fact that somebody in this prison leaked the pictures is actually more newsworthy than the fact that Saddam is wearing ugly underwear.
Ugly? Oh no!

*BP burns half his underwear in the backyard*

Hurin_Rules
05-20-2005, 19:13
Showing such pictures is a violation of the Geneva Conventions. The US military has just said as much and is launching its own investigation. If it was US personnel who released the pictures, they have violated the conventions and will be charged.

I do not think this will help the US in its war in Iraq, and in fact I believe it will hurt them. In some of the interviews I've read with Iraqis, they've perceived it as just more Americans humiliating Iraqis and breaking the laws of war. Whatever you think of the British newspaper (and I don't think much of it), this act probably increases the likelihood of attacks on British and American troops.

Redleg
05-20-2005, 20:25
Showing such pictures is a violation of the Geneva Conventions. The US military has just said as much and is launching its own investigation. If it was US personnel who released the pictures, they have violated the conventions and will be charged.

And rightly so - the taking of these pictures by whomever was preventable if the NCO's and officers in charge of the security detail would of abided by the regulations that govern the housing of prisoners. After Abu Griab - I would of thought the NCO's and officers would of learned their lesson and ensured that camera's were not in the hands of soldiers who are on duty guarding prisoners.

I do not think this will help the US in its war in Iraq, and in fact I believe it will hurt them. In some of the interviews I've read with Iraqis, they've perceived it as just more Americans humiliating Iraqis and breaking the laws of war. Whatever you think of the British newspaper (and I don't think much of it), this act probably increases the likelihood of attacks on British and American troops.
I have heard two types of reports coming out of Iraq - some that follow just this line and one that some Iraqi's feel this is okay for the likes of Saddam. (however I don't know if that is a valid report or just some editorial information being relayed on the radio news that I listen to on the way to work.)

Fragony
05-20-2005, 20:43
Ugly? Oh no!

*BP burns half his underwear in the backyard*

We call those 'ballenknijpers' (ballstranglers) over here. These things are very bad for your sperm, but sometimes not being able to reproduce can be a good thing ~;)

Adrian II
05-20-2005, 20:57

I do not think this will help the US in its war in Iraq, and in fact I believe it will hurt them. In some of the interviews I've read with Iraqis, they've perceived it as just more Americans humiliating Iraqis and breaking the laws of war. Whatever you think of the British newspaper (and I don't think much of it), this act probably increases the likelihood of attacks on British and American troops.Come on, Hurin. You wear the same kind of ballstranglers as Uncle Sadman in the pic, that's what's really bothering you.
~:cool:

And no, I don't think Sadman's pants are a matter for the Security Council.

Hurin_Rules
05-20-2005, 21:19
Come on, Hurin. You wear the same kind of ballstranglers as Uncle Sadman in the pic, that's what's really bothering you.
~:cool:

LOL ~:)

No, I gave up on those in first year undergrad, when I realized the reaction most women have to them. After a brief (pun intended) flirtation with boxers, I realized 3/4 briefs (black) were the way to go (as Seinfeld's Kramer once said, my boys need a home). Ever since, my love life has picked up considerably. Let that be a lesson to you Capo, as you look for advice on picking up that girl you were after: make sure you ditch the whitey tighteys before things get hot and heavy. ~:cheers:

Devastatin Dave
05-20-2005, 21:52
Boxers all the way baby...

Again, I just hope I look that good when I'm an old fart...

Alexander the Pretty Good
05-20-2005, 21:53
I'm no expert, but Barocca's judgement looks sound. :book:

I'm a boxers man meself. :book:

The link that AdrianII provided is scary as hell.

If it's true, heads should roll.
If true, heads should not only roll, but be punted. Very far.

Kanamori
05-20-2005, 22:05
"If it's true, heads should roll."

I don't know about that, but more than a dishonorable discharge is certainly in order. Incidences like this and my lai make me think that the US military chain of command needs some rethinking...they were allowed into a similar situation that they were under question for; not good at all. Frankly, it is disgusting and shameful.

edit: would they be going to the court marshal, or a domestic court?

Adrian II
05-20-2005, 22:20
(..) I realized 3/4 briefs (black) were the way to go (..)Spoken like a man. :bow:

BTW I think I know what Sadman is looking for in the pic.

http://ubbt.moby.com/userfiles/2681425-wee%20turd%20polish.gif

BDC
05-20-2005, 22:23
Apparently he's suing now...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4567341.stm

Xiahou
05-20-2005, 22:26
And rightly so - the taking of these pictures by whomever was preventable if the NCO's and officers in charge of the security detail would of abided by the regulations that govern the housing of prisoners. After Abu Griab - I would of thought the NCO's and officers would of learned their lesson and ensured that camera's were not in the hands of soldiers who are on duty guarding prisoners.Well, I tend to think that the photos were "official" as part of documenting his treatment ect. If he gets to trial and claims he was beaten bloody everyday in custody, some pictures could be helpful to refute it. The problem is that someone had access to the photos, who clearly shouldn't have, and leaked them to the press- presumably for a large sum of money.

Hopefully their investigation will find this person and prosecute him/her.

Hurin_Rules
05-20-2005, 22:28
Boxers all the way baby...

Those are fine--I think there are some women who prefer them--but I think that we can all agree that unless you are gay and/or a member of the Red Hot Chili Peppers, whitey tighteys are to be avoided at all costs. ~;)

Redleg
05-20-2005, 22:31
"If it's true, heads should roll."

I don't know about that, but more than a dishonorable discharge is certainly in order. Incidences like this and my lai make me think that the US military chain of command needs some rethinking...they were allowed into a similar situation that they were under question for; not good at all. Frankly, it is disgusting and shameful.

edit: would they be going to the court marshal, or a domestic court?

Military crime - Courts Martial

Kanamori
05-20-2005, 23:15
okay, i wasn't sure how their status as mercenaries factored in.

Kaiser of Arabia
05-20-2005, 23:35
Question: This doesn't warrent an execution does it?
I kinda think its treason...

Goofball
05-20-2005, 23:39
Question: This doesn't warrent an execution does it?
I kinda think its treason...

Nothing warrants an execution.

Adrian II
05-21-2005, 00:01
Apparently he's suing now...Oh for crying out loud...

Redleg
05-21-2005, 00:05
Oh for crying out loud...

So are you trying to say that The Sun should not be held accountable by Saddam for publishing pictures that are in violation of the Geneva Conventions?

I hope the investigation pans out and finds the individual responsible for turning the photo's over to the press - and he is sued by Saddam also for his actions. Edit: but I doubt that will happen because the individual will most likely be person who is in uniform. However if its a civilian he/she can also be held liable in civil procedings. or at least I hope they can.

InsaneApache
05-21-2005, 00:05
NEWSFLASH Sadamn sues the Sun.....

Kaiser of Arabia
05-21-2005, 00:28
lol

Adrian II
05-21-2005, 00:34
So are you trying to say that The Sun should not be held accountable by Saddam for publishing pictures that are in violation of the Geneva Conventions?Hold your fire, Colonel Redleg. I just think the whole thing is preposterous and I don't want to be the judge who looks into the authenticity of Sadman's Y-fronts.

LittleGrizzly
05-21-2005, 01:03
sue the sun! (they deserve it anyway)

Redleg
05-21-2005, 01:06
Hold your fire, Colonel Redleg. I just think the whole thing is preposterous and I don't want to be the judge who looks into the authenticity of Sadman's Y-fronts.

The fire does not need to be held - journalists should be held responsible for what they print in the newspaper - just like the individual who released the photo's to the media needs to be held responsible for their actions. The photo's are in violation of not only the Geneva Conventions - but of several Army Regulations that I know of.

Adrian II
05-21-2005, 01:07
The fire does not need to be held - journalists should be held responsible for what they print in the newspaper - just like the individual who released the photo's to the media needs to be held responsible for their actions. The photo's are in violation of not only the Geneva Conventions - but of several Army Regulations that I know of.Can I quote you?

Redleg
05-21-2005, 01:28
Can I quote you?

Not a problem -

Navaros
05-21-2005, 06:30
well at least Saddam was not being tortured in those pictures, so by the USA's standards, those photos are pretty darn good! ~:eek:

oh yeah...don't go blaming the Sun for publishing those photos... blame the person who let a camera get near Saddam, and the person who took the photo etc...the Sun is not to blame for publishing the truth about how the USA defiles Muslims

ShadesWolf
05-21-2005, 08:34
Sun publishes another Saddam photo
Saturday May 21, 12:28 AM

LONDON (Reuters) - The Sun tabloid published another picture on Saturday of Saddam Hussein in prison and robustly defended its decision to print such images despite Pentagon claims it may have violated the Geneva Conventions.

Britain's best-selling daily newspaper sparked outrage from Saddam's lawyers on Friday by publishing several photographs of the captive former Iraqi leader, including one showing him in his underpants.

U.S. officials promised an aggressive investigation into who was responsible for the photographs, which they believe were taken more than a year ago. They said the images violated Pentagon rules and may have breached the Geneva Conventions.

But an unrepentant Sun followed up with another picture for its Saturday edition showing Saddam in a white robe behind a coil of barbed wire. He holds his palms outstretched and his head is slightly bowed, possibly in prayer.

The paper also published two more pictures of former senior Iraqi figures apparently in captivity.

It identified a figure holding a walking stick as he stoops in front of a plastic chair in one grainy image as "Chemical Ali", Ali Hassan al-Majid, the former Saddam lieutenant blamed for chemical gas attacks on Iraqi Kurds.

The Sun said another picture showed Huda Salih Mehdi Ammash, dubbed "Mrs Anthrax" by foreign newspapers as she is accused of helping Saddam try to rebuild Iraq's biological warfare capacity in the 1990s. She is shown walking in a courtyard.

"The evil brute -- and his cruel henchmen -- deserve no one's sympathy for anything," declared the newspaper's defence editor Tom Newton Dunn in an article accompanying the pictures.

He said Saddam was "hardly entitled to a single human courtesy" as 300,000 people had disappeared under his regime.

"Being snapped in his Y-fronts is the least of Saddam's worries as he faces a possible death sentence for his crimes against his own people," the Sun added in a leader article.

_Martyr_
05-21-2005, 09:02
This is a disgrace IMO. One can only hope it doesnt fuel more violence in Iraq. Its a clear breach of the GC. One thing to remember though is that when the US captured Saddam, they themselves released footage of the the brute in what seem to be purposely humiliating situations which was in similar breach of the GC. Granted, it could be argued that it was necessary to prove to the world that Saddam was captured, but its still a breach and something to keep in mind.

If Saddam sues the Sun, that would be a funny day! ~D :dizzy2:

ichi
05-22-2005, 05:58
This is a disgrace IMO. One can only hope it doesnt fuel more violence in Iraq. Its a clear breach of the GC.

If they showed him in his undies feeding some helpless Iraqi into a woodchipper, that would be a clear breach of the GC.

Placed in perspective, this is relatively minor compared to what he did to his own people.

And besides, its prolly the worst thing that will happen to him. Maybe he could get a job as a undie model.

"Hi, I'm Saddam, and for me it's Calvin Klein or nothing at all"

ichi :bow:

Quietus
05-22-2005, 07:45
NEWSFLASH Sadamn sues the Sun..... You're joking right? This is hilarious.... :laugh4: