PDA

View Full Version : Historical Battles Contest Rules

Tomisama
05-21-2005, 18:20
Be sure to see the most current version on our dedicated message board forum Rules page.
http://p067.ezboard.com/fsamuraiclanwars3295frm8.showMessage?topicID=4.topic

Code of Honor - Historical Battles Competition – Rules v1.1

I. The CoH HBC is for Code signers only.

II. Contestant players must have CoH tags on their Player Names.

III. A specific Historical Battle Challenge and Brackets will be posted.

IV. The objective is to get the highest Kills Score.

V. The categories for each HBC Challenge will be, High Point Scorer for each Faction.

VI. Unit Scale set to Huge.

VII. Unrestricted Camera.

VIII. No CPU Players in Team HBCs.

IX. Make appointments with your assigned opponent on the Match Thread on this forum titled with the opposing Player Names.

X. Fight each Assigned Battle two times, once as each Faction side involved.

XI. Take TGA screen print of the Results Screen for Kill Score proof, and post results on your Match Thread when completed.

XII. The results will be permanently posted on a web page dedicated to the Code of Honor Historical Battles Competition.

Good Luck All :knight:

Wishazu
05-21-2005, 21:34
so if we arrange a match, do we both take it in turns to play spqr and seleucids? if so who wants to take me on :)

Tomisama
05-21-2005, 22:07
If you play as both, you will have scores for both Contest Faction Categories :medievalcheers:

Play as many “Codies” (New name for CoH signers?) as you like, as many times as you wish. Send in “all” of your TGA Reports. We will only consider your “highest" Kills scores (one for each Faction) for comparison.
I will be on Sunday for you to slaughter :charge:
~;)

Wishazu
05-21-2005, 23:13
i`ll look for you tomorrow matey, the historic battles are allways fun to play :)

[seminoles]shadow
05-23-2005, 03:19
lol codys i like it (maybe it should be codies)

Tomisama
05-23-2005, 03:42
I think Historicals are the supreme challenge, as you are forced to play with the cards you are dealt (so to speak). No too much different than real battle situations a field general would have to face.

Of course it’s difficult to make a Contest out of them (Historical Battles). About the best that can be done is comparing Kill scores, really just for fun anyway, but does give us something to show for our efforts. And I think that win or loose, that the individual Faction scoring is important, as these HBs are not necessarily balanced challenges. So the best of both eventualities has to be taken into the accounting.

One major flaw in what is presented so far, is that there are no distinct Match Assignments. And as much as the possibility exists for folks to randomly get together, the experience of several years at the CWC has taught me different.

So, I am going to propose a bracket system that pits two Codies (or 2v2 in the 4 player HBs) against each other for a 2 Battle Competition. Both play as both sides and turn in their scores to compare for the weekly (may go to monthly) best score honors. Nothing to take too seriously. Like I said before, “really just for fun anyway”.

I am hoping this all still sounds interesting to those who posted interest before. I am going to take it on faith that those who were interested before, still are (if not please let me know). On the list so far are:

Nihilist
Tibilicus
Beefy
Craterus
Shadow
Wishazu
Tomi

If any others would like to Sign-Up, please post on this thread as soon as possible. If you can’t post here (the process is a little slow in getting things all together here), just pm or email me, and I will gladly add you :wink:

Salute!

Voigtkampf
05-23-2005, 06:04
I'm interested, hopefully I can make some free time to engage in more serious Rome MP combats some time soon. :bow:

[seminoles]shadow
05-23-2005, 14:53
my bad i put clanies insted of codies its been fixed though...i likeTomi's idea about the bracket system and i believe that monthly "best score honors" would work better as we do not have that many people on the code right now once we get around 200 we can go to weekly.

RabidGibbon
05-23-2005, 20:03
Count me in Tomi.

Good idea, should be fun.

Wishazu
05-23-2005, 21:23
maybe we should arrange another sunday gathering, we could play a whole bunch of historical battles then.

Tomisama
05-24-2005, 02:25
I will be making the first revision of the Rules, and updating the Contestants List very soon. But running a bit behind at the moment (lots to do today), so look for the changes tomorrow.

Until then, you might be interested in a little history extracted from UNRV History of the Roman Empire, concerning the battle of Ausculum.

http://www.unrv.com/empire/pyrrhic-war.php

The next year, 279 BC, saw the second major conflict at the battle of Ausculum. A massive engagement (in terms of ancient armies) was fought over two days among the woods and hills of Apulia. The Romans led by Publius Dentius Mus, used terrain to their advantage to reduce the effect of the Epirote cavalry and elephants. The first day would end in a virtual draw. As at Heraclea, the second day’s fighting was again a stalemate situation until the elephants could be brought to the front. The Roman’s attempted using ox-drawn war wagons to subvert the elephants, but supporting infantry soon overwhelmed the defense and the Romans had to withdraw. At the end of the battle, estimates of 6,000 Roman and 3,500 Epirote casualties left Pyrrhus in command of the field, but again at great cost. It is the result of Ausculum where the term “Pyrrhic Victory” is attributed. According to Plutarch, when congratulated on his victory, Pyrrhus replied “that one other such (victory) would utterly undo him."
I personally am getting very excited about this Historical Battle Contest. Maybe it’s the grounding in history that makes it so appealing. Not sure, but looking forward to this more that anything else I have in a long time. I hope it’s catchy :wink:

Tomisama
05-25-2005, 03:40
Please see the revised Rules above.

Contestants to date:

Nihilist
Tibilicus
Beefy
Craterus
Shadow
Wishazu
Tomisama
Voigtkampf
RabidGibbon

Brackets and Match Threads will be posted tomorrow, May 24th.

:charge: