PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer Mod?

Addonas
12-24-2000, 23:43
Hell Everyone,
First time post here, I'm glad that there is a strong community of people interested in modifying Shogun.

I am currently on a team for a mod for Deus-Ex. We are called Deus Ex: Covert Operations and Im' the Music Compser/Sound guy. As well as some low level modeling and graphics. Stuff liek that.

What do you guys think about doing a warhammer mod? I'm assuming that everyone here knows what Warhammer is. Either a 40K mod, or a Fantasy, while I'd much rather prefer a fantasy mod, I think 40K woudl be kind interesting as well. It's a bit far afield from what shogun is, well, 40K anyways. But ever since I started playing this game... I was mentally drooling at the possibility of seeing a Fantasy Mod or Sequel to the game. Keeping the stats of every player, DETAILED stats, not jsut this little win/loss/honor system EA has going. It'd be a massive undertaking that woudl probably require all of the most talented people out there to collaborate on... but wouldn't it be cool?

What does everyone think?

Kraellin
12-25-2000, 01:02
first off, what the heck is warhammer? and secondly, what the heck is 40k?

K.

Addonas
12-25-2000, 22:19
Okay, bit of an explanation...

--==Warhammer==--

Warhammer is a table top strategy game that orginated in the UK. You buy model figurines and then paint them. There are several races that you can be, each with their sets of characters, units, monsters, heroes, etc... etc... Then you play on model terrain, everythign is decided by dice rolls. There are several races, I think over 10 that you can choose from, with a huge selection of units and magic items, not to mention if you have allies. It's been an incredibly successful hobby for years upon years. Electronic Arts released 2 previous games that were somewhat successfully computerized versions of thsi game. BUt you had to follow a storyline, teh multiplayer was severely lacking, kind of tacked on at the end. But shogun's engine is PERFECT for a mod of this sort. The only problems I could see in making a mod for it is getting enough artists that would be up to the task and some programmers to add in things like magic and siege machines. But everythign else is practically laid out for us.

Warhammer 40K is a futuristic same kidn of strategy tabletop game. Only this game is based on missile weapons and squad based combat. It is even more successful than the fantasy series... (I think) But it's an incredible series as well that I used to play. I enjoyed fantasy more myself, but 40K was a lot more customizeable. Either of these would make AMAZING mods, that I'm prety sure EA would pick up and remarket with their game. Kind of like Halflife's Counter Strike.

So that's a real brief explanation of what warhammer is all about. I'll find some links and paste them right under all of this if you're at all interested in checking it out. The artwork out there is incredbile so even for jsut taht it's worth taking a look at. You'd be surprised at teh amount of detail some of these people get into while painting this small figurines. Pretty cool stuff.

Anyways...

Here are the links:
http://www.games-workshop.com/ ------- This is the official site of the company that created warhammer.

Well.. that's a good place to start if you're interested. Hope this offered some explanation.

Oh yeah, the two games that were released by EA were, Warhammer: Shadow Of The Horned Rat & Warhammer: Dark Omen. Dont' konw if you ever picked those up. They were a lot of fun and I definitely recommend them although they are slightly outdated now. The engine is very similar to that of shoguns, looks like it was their preliminary work on it before shogun was released.

Enjoy :-)

Catiline
12-26-2000, 03:00
A fantasy one would be good fun and was wanted when the game first came out, someone headed off to do it in the first few days, set off to make it, put up the website and then...

------------------
It's not a bug, it's a feature

Rob
12-26-2000, 05:06
Making a workable fantasy mod is not too difficult - all it requires is someone to draw alternative graphics http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

Of course, it is not possible to change unit attributes, so your new units would have to be equivalents of old ones - Ashigaru could be some little goblin creature, No-Dachi could be, I dunno, trolls or something. Don't know much about what would fit in the Warhammer setting http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
MizuRob Hojo
Honour to clan Takiyama

Addonas
12-27-2000, 23:11
Can't modify Unit Attributes?

How is it not possible to do that? It should be one of the simplest tasks. How does shogun set up teh attributes of teh units, I kwno that in their older warhammer games they simply used a .txt file that would be referenced for their attributes. I woudl think taht they'd be doing somethign similar to that.

Yeah, the only problem I could really see would be finding artists good enough to do teh warhammer world justice. It'd be a really massive undertaking to do it right. Because you'd have to find a way of incorporating magic into the game and all the effects that goes with it.