PDA

View Full Version : Newsweek Debacle V2.0

PanzerJaeger
05-24-2005, 04:03
Newsweek is facing new accusations of in fact not botching the story last week, but continuing in a pattern of Anti-Americanism abroad.

Take a look at different domestic and international editions of the same week.

Heres what we got in America:

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/images2/NewsweekOscar.jpg

Heres what the rest of the english speaking world got:

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/images2/NewsweekAmerica.jpg

And heres what Japan got all in the same week:

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/images2/NewsweekFlagTrash.jpg

Now that wouldnt be our national banner in the trash would it? :inquisitive:

Here is the accompanying story.

Is Newsweek Anti- America? (http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=44397)

IrishMike
05-24-2005, 04:35
You know, bashing bush don't bother me (I don't like him much anyways). Criticising America don't bother me (their entitled to an opinion). But when you put our flag in the trash. That is what bothers me. This is just outragious. Just like when people burn the flag, in my mind they should be shot. Our flag in the trash, one of the most holiest of objects to most true americans, and in Japan. This is to much. Newsweek must die.

Proletariat
05-24-2005, 04:37
Who cares if they're anti-America or not? No one here pays them much attention anyway. They're only in the news right now because they sparked another referendum on the 'left-wing' bias in America's MSM.

P.S. They should supply the Quran written on toilet paper to Gauntanamo.

Proletariat
05-24-2005, 04:38
You know, bashing bush don't bother me (I don't like him much anyways). Criticising America don't bother me (their entitled to an opinion). But when you put our flag in the trash. That is what bothers me. This is just outragious. Just like when people burn the flag, in my mind they should be shot. Our flag in the trash, one of the most holiest of objects to most true americans, and in Japan. This is to much. Newsweek must die.

No way. That would makes us like the 7th Century Cockroaches who murder people over alleged Quran trashing. Pure, inexcusable idiocy.

KafirChobee
05-24-2005, 04:55
The US flag, the holyest of objects? OK, must be a Rush thingy. The flag is simply a symble of identification for a nation, not an artifact, not a grail of any form. It generally is something for the dishonest to wrap themselves in to justify lying to the people they represent that honor what the flag (supposedly0 stands for. A flag is clothe, nothing more - and if what it once stood for no longer exists (except in the minds of the converted), then it has no meaning at all - except to signify that a nation exists.

As for, Newsweek? Give it a rest, Newsweek is one step above the buyout line trash papers. They print more retractions than any magazine, paper, or newsletter in print. Newsweek is a fun time, and should never be taken more seriously than "People", or Sports Illustrated.

That they printed a story that inflamed the people looking for an excuse to bash us? What a surprise. The people upset, however, would have found another excuse to protest our being in Iraq anyway. So, the only big deal about it is that Newsweek didn't let our diplomatic corp in on their expose - that they went for the "shock and awe" instead.

That they have since retracted it, rather than expose sources - well, Novack has yet to give up his source to CIA agents. Must be easier to retract, ignore, or comply. Don't ya think?

Hurin_Rules
05-24-2005, 05:12
Who is making these accusations?

And in case you haven't yet heart, most of the world strongly disapproves of Bush's actions; this is therefore reflected in the international covers.

PanzerJaeger
05-24-2005, 05:21
Well interested Americans are making the allegations.

I just find it interesting that they feed us one thing then feed the bashers something else.. seems like theyre playing both sides of the table.

In any event I would say putting any nation's flag in the trash is rather insulting, no?

Papewaio
05-24-2005, 05:28
Freedom of Speech...

You should not get rid of someone just because they say something you don't agree with. That is what the fundamentalists from Nazis to AQ to School Teachers ~D demand.

bmolsson
05-24-2005, 06:05
I believe that Newsweek is an American magazine ??

Xiahou
05-24-2005, 08:06
Freedom of Speech...

You should not get rid of someone just because they say something you don't agree with. That is what the fundamentalists from Nazis to AQ to School Teachers ~D demand.I think 'Freedom of Speech' also covers people getting upset and speaking out, loudly, if seeing the flag in the trash upsets them.

Papewaio
05-24-2005, 08:21
I think 'Freedom of Speech' also covers people getting upset and speaking out, loudly, if seeing the flag in the trash upsets them.

Speaking out is one thing, Freedom of Speech does not cover incitements to violence for or against government policy.

Sir Moody
05-24-2005, 10:48
I just find it interesting that they feed us one thing then feed the bashers something else.. seems like theyre playing both sides of the table.

welcome Comrade to the wonderful world of Capitalism where to sell things world wide you use different methods - im quite sure Japan doesnt want to hear about US celebs so its tailored to them...

Meneldil
05-24-2005, 11:02
I guess you haven't seen that both american and anglo-saxon version published the same articles (or quite similar ones).

US version : "Oscar Confidential" blabla, "Zakaria : A reality check on Bush and "freedom""
Other version : "America leads, but is anyone following?", by the same Zakaria guy (my answer being no ~D ) and "Oscar roundtable".

Adrian II
05-24-2005, 11:27
I believe that Newsweek is an American magazine ??Well, that's what siege mentality does to you. Americans start eating their own democracy.

Spetulhu
05-24-2005, 14:01
I guess you haven't seen that both american and anglo-saxon version published the same articles (or quite similar ones).

Different covers to get people in different parts of the world interested in buying. Bashing GW somewhere half the people think he's the Second Coming isn't going to sell as many papers as the Oscars. Seeing the US film industry pat it's own back isn't going to sell as much outside the country, so pick another cover.

Franconicus
05-24-2005, 17:04
Americans start eating their own democracy.
Great quote. Sad but true!

PanzerJaeger
05-24-2005, 17:08
Americans start eating their own democracy.

Proof? Anyone have any examples?

Proletariat
05-24-2005, 17:14
Well, people calling for the murder of any who burn a flag stands out.

Goofball
05-24-2005, 17:21
You know, bashing bush don't bother me (I don't like him much anyways). Criticising America don't bother me (their entitled to an opinion). But when you put our flag in the trash. That is what bothers me. This is just outragious. Just like when people burn the flag, in my mind they should be shot. Our flag in the trash, one of the most holiest of objects to most true americans, and in Japan. This is to much. Newsweek must die.No way. That would makes us like the 7th Century Cockroaches who murder people over alleged Quran trashing. Pure, inexcusable idiocy.

Damn. You beat me to it. Well said, Proletariat.

PanzerJaeger
05-24-2005, 17:24
Well, people calling for the murder of any who burn a flag stands out.

That rhetoric has always been around, even more so during the cold war. Thats hardly proof that we are becoming less democratic now is it?

Adrian II
05-24-2005, 17:25
Damn. You beat me to it. Well said, Proletariat.Ditto, my lady. :bow:

Goofball
05-24-2005, 17:28
Who cares if they're anti-America or not?

If I were an American, I would be more angry with Newsweek over the apparent condescension with which they view my and my fellow citizens' intellect than I would about America bashing. I mean, they give stories dealing with matters of global importance to the rest of the world, then feed you guys "Hollywood's Hottest Stars Together: A Candid Talk About Acting, Fear, & Fame"?????

Gimme a break...

Proletariat
05-24-2005, 17:42
Good point, Goofball. I was mainly saying 'who cares if they're anti' because they seem like a pretty irrelevant news source. I personally don't know anyone who takes them as canon, but I guess there must be some.

And, uh-oh. A textual high-five from Goofball and A2 in the same thread? I guess I need to bash some vegans to bring balance back to the force.

Goofball
05-24-2005, 17:50
And, uh-oh. A textual high-five from Goofball and A2 in the same thread? I guess I need to bash some vegans to bring balance back to the force.

And I haven't even been able to post in your "Culture of Life" thread yet because I've been so awestruck with the depth and accuracy of your analyses of that situation.

Damn! If I was single, ten years younger, much better looking, and far wealthier than I actually am, I might ask you out on a date!

~;)

Redleg
05-24-2005, 18:19
And I haven't even been able to post in your "Culture of Life" thread yet because I've been so awestruck with the depth and accuracy of your analyses of that situation.

Damn! If I was single, ten years younger, much better looking, and far wealthier than I actually am, I might ask you out on a date!

~;)

LOL

Proletariat
05-25-2005, 00:12
Oh boy. If I hadn't found out a few weeks ago that I'm actually a Lesbian Sea Otter, I'd blush.