PDA

View Full Version : Announcing: Hyborean Age Total War

Bwian
05-24-2005, 09:19
Between the fall of Atlantis and the rise of modern civilisation, ancient people walked the earth. Empires rose and fell, and the remannts of witch haunted Acheron still troubled mankind. In the North, the wild Vanir and Aesir battled the cruel Hyperboreans, barbarians from Cimmeria raided south and the pictish tribes, last remnants of fallen Atlantis, sharpened their hatchets and gathered the clans.

From serpent haunted Stygia to the mystic lands of Khitai, blades were honed.

In Hyrkania the armies grew larger and the Turanian satraps eyed the bloated kingdoms of hte west with greedy thoughts.

Somewhere in an Aquilonian tavern, someones pint got spilled...and the WAR was on!

Anyway...that aside, and in the interest of those not familiar with Robert E Howards sword wielding Barbarian, I have decided to start up a second project along with my robot building efforts. Sometimes, you just have to have a change of pace to keep things interesting. So, this is it for me. A total war epic set in the world of Conan the Barbarian. I wanted something which was basically simple enough to model, used only stock skeletons and no fancy animaitons, and could still provide me with enough fantasy elements to excite. Perfect!

Faction List:

Aquilonia
Nemedia
Pict Nations
Stygia
Kush.
Turan
Hrykania
Vanir
Aesir
Hyperborea
Cimmeria
Khitai
Vendhya
Black Kingdoms
Ophir
Shem
Argos
Zamora
Iranistan

and, of course, the Slaves.

The Senate will be scheduled for an early death, with Rome stuck out in the wilderness where is won't be easy to find. The rest of the factions mentioned in the books fit in quite well as rebel provinces, and leave enough conquering for anyone!

Some of the factions will be easier to play than others, with the obvious choices being Aquilonia and Nemedia. They have the heavy troops available later on, but will struggle once they start to head into the frozen North, or out into the hotter, more arid portions of the map.

Anyway... work on this began more as an excecise on changing faction names and banners, which I have already done. And now I have even made some units. I have base models for the Picts, and a full list of the units I intend to have. Work is now underway on the Aesir and Vanir. The Picts have three main ttribes ( the only ones actually mentioned bu name in the books ) ...each identified by woad designs and the colour of their feathers. Howard clearly thought of them as analogous to North American native tribes, so I have stuck with that concept. Each tribe has the same core units, but some variations in detail stats. For example... Wolf Clan have stronger warriors, but the Hornbills have better stealth ability. Eagles have better morale...that sort of thing! Need to make a shaman unit and a couple of other 'extras'

Currently undecided as to the degree of 'supernatural' involvement I want. I am tempted to use 'elementals' to bolster the Picts military ability. Need to be careful there though. I do NOT want to stray beyond the scope of the books and invent something that just doesn't fit with the game balance!

Anyway...

done :

New start screens
New faction buttons
renamed factions right through ( descriptions being written for the campaign brief )
unit banners being changed
3 Factions have unit lists complete
1 faction has models built and textured

Duncan_Hardy
05-24-2005, 10:40
Sounds fun, though I'm not familiar with the story this is based on.

skeletor
05-24-2005, 10:51
Souns cool.

Conan the barbarian :medievalcheers: as faction leader...
You must implement the iron madens as mercinarys, and maybe the Barachan (spell) pirates. The picts could be supreme ambushers, and be great at fighting in woods..

Looking forward to this.

-Skel-

Bwian
05-27-2005, 08:57
Update:

These faction banners and buttons take an age to do, but I finally have banners and buttons and standards created for all the factions.

Work is well underway on the first units, and as soon as I get some decent 'opponents' in play, I will get some sacfreenshots posted.

I am currently experimenting with missile troops for the Picts. Can't get axe throwers to work to my satisfaction, so they may end up as javelin throwers instead.....

Bwian
05-29-2005, 09:53
OK after a few minor teething troubles ( I think I hit the maximum number of units before I started removing redundant Gaulish troops... )

http://img88.echo.cx/img88/4572/00101rd.jpg

http://img261.echo.cx/img261/5800/00128my.jpg

http://img97.echo.cx/img97/7169/00081ft.jpg

A unified mass of Picts is a new thing for the armies of Aquilonia's western borders. It can only mean a dominant family has arisen and subjugated the petty kings. It is only a matter if time before the raids become something far more threatening.

Anyway....storyline aside, the basic set of Pictish Tribes are done ( not historical picts....so please don't get 'historical' on me !!! ) and comprise a set of missile troops ( spear and hatchet hurlers ) plus some more basic peasants and some heavier axe-wielding barbarians. They are effective light infantry, but the heavies will never last in a frontal 'phalanx attack'.

All that remains for the first faction is to do some 'general' units ( They were identical to the stock troops, just better soldiers marked with a red tipped feather ) and I want a Shaman unit and a standard bearer. Shaman will be 'masked' and cloaked with an animal cloak. Will give a moral boost like Druids do. Standard bearer will get a standard....and maybe a fancy head-dress and a cloak. They are all basically variants of existing stuff done. All units have a full set of lower detail models in place already.

Next faction for work will either be Aquilonia, or the Aesir / Vanir units. I might make a few Aquilonian 'border' troops just for screenshots v Picts!!!

Oromë
05-29-2005, 18:18
Finally! I suspected it was only a matter of time before somebody took this idea and ran with it (I almost did myself), but Im glad because Hyboria is my favorite fictional place and its political/military climate is perfect for the RTW engine.
Here is some good info for you if needed:

http://hyboria.xoth.net/gazetteer/index.htm

I cant wait to see how the Turanian and Aquilonian soldiers turn out!..

Sundjata Keita
05-29-2005, 20:14
A small piece of advice for the unit skin, the tattoos have anti-aliased themselves with the skin and this looks unnatural, I suggest either using a darker colour for contrast purposes or tuning off anti-aliasing for further tattoos. Just my suggestion. Good luck with the mod ~:cheers:

Sundjata Keita

Dimeola
05-30-2005, 06:25
Splendid idea....look for the website of Reality Simulations in Tuscon. They have been running a pbm game of Hyborian War for years. You will find a map there and lots of info. They might even be able to provide some info. I have played as several factions so if you need any info or ideas let me know.
D

Bwian
06-04-2005, 15:37
:) As far as 'anti-aliasing' goes....I wasn't aware I had ;) I was trying to simulate painted on designs rather than just tatoos, and they have not really come across well once I converted the screen shot to jpeg. I am going to try and sharpen them up anyway, so they show up better in game with less blurring of the lines. The 'spray on' approach didn't work quite as well as I hoped it would ~;)

Now....as far as factions go....

I have been away for the last week, with no PC acess, but I have been busy with the old pencil and paper though. Aquilonian troops have been roughed out. The plan is to have Bossonian archers in various flavours, which will only be producable in the Bossonian province(s), whilst Gunderland will provide the basic foot soldiers. These will be the basic levies, plus more advanced foot troops and pikemen. Aquilonia itself will have some basic militia and peasant troops to start with, and will provide the cavalry. Late types will be very effective, but hugely expensive! I need to give Aquilonia some balance or they would become way to powerful and dominant. This is why the troops will be split between the provinces. If you lose Bossonia, you lose your archery power. Lose Gunderland, and you lose the essential tight infantry formations. You can't win a war with just heavy cavalry !!!

I also roughed out the basic model designs for Bossonia and Gunderland.

Then, I worked on some unit designs for the Aesir and Vanir troops. Unit outlines are done for all the basic designs, with only the elite units to go. These will probably use variants of the stock units, with some weapin, texture and stat variations.

Stygia has also been started, and Cimmeria has been giving me some head scratching problems.....Aside from Barbarians, the region provides little in terms of description in the literature. I am probably going to base them quite heavily on the Germans in the stock game. Hard and tough infantry, with little cavalry. Units will be ill-disciplined, but furious fighters.

Still...first job is to get the stuff I have on paper modelled... I am sure inspiration ( and community suggestions ) will fill in the gaps as I work ~:grouphug:

Mind you.... I still found time to draw up some more Robot designs for my 'other' mod ~:D

Bwian
06-05-2005, 22:29
OK..more progress made today.

General units made for the picts ( both lesser and greater generals ) and a standard bearer. Finally, the old barbarian general has gone!

I have also made new models for the strat map figures, so they match the Pictish units, and don't look like Gauls anymore.

All that remains for the picts is a few limited mounted units ( strictly light cavalry ) and the Picts will be done and dusted! Trying to come up with some decent names for the family members as well ~:D

Bwian
06-08-2005, 22:16
Now, the Picts are actually just about done...all bar 4 more unit cards for the mounted 'Pony Riders'. These should be done in a day or so ( soon as I can find hte time )

In the meantime, I have done all the annoying little jobs, and updated the campaign files etc. so that the campaign still works with the new units...

And I started work on the Aesir.

http://img93.echo.cx/img93/9065/00009hw.jpg

http://img251.echo.cx/img251/7951/00018zx.jpg

http://img41.echo.cx/img41/91/00028wf.jpg

http://img280.echo.cx/img280/8721/00030rb.jpg

http://img68.echo.cx/img68/3420/00054ry.jpg

Oromë
06-09-2005, 01:55
Not too shabby so far I must say. Keep up the good work!

Dimeola
06-11-2005, 03:02
ok, drawing on the PBM game Cimmeria:
Yes mostly foot, heavy foot veterans, and more numerous young foot, Preferred weapons sword and axe.....also some archers.....veteran and young......and an elite guard. They did not have Cav in that game. Similar was Anaheim and Vanaheim. The three fought each other and the Witch Kingdom to the east and Aquilonia and Nemedia to the south. And sometimes the picts to the southwest. These three also often fought each other.
Good idea on Aquilonia, they are the most powerfull in the game, but remember that they will be fighting on several fronts.
Looking forward to this, let me know if I can help.
D

Bwian
06-11-2005, 08:23
If you can put together some more info on army makeup like that, it would be really useful. I have the original books as a base set of reference work, but the information is not all that comprehensive.

RPG games tend to be a combination of orignal material and all the 'aprocryphal' work which has become accepted and integrated into the canon work.

Besides... it's always good to have a second set of ideas ~:)

Bwian
06-13-2005, 19:56
Some new units are in place..... attack Warriors of the Aesir!

http://img145.echo.cx/img145/1997/00072yj.jpg

http://img35.echo.cx/img35/9826/00093wx.jpg

Axemen, Swordsman and Spearmen are in game and working. I don't think the phalanx formation suits the mood, so that might be taken out. Liking the look of the axes and the swords though ~:)

Sfwartir
06-22-2005, 03:31
Yeeehaa! It's a dream come true - the Hyborean Age in RTW! Graphics looks excellent too, ah Bwian :medievalcheers:
Will the Turanians be turkish-like? I've always pictured them like that. Bah, never mind me, I'm sure what ever you do, it'll turn out great ~:)

Chilly5
06-22-2005, 16:57
i have np idea wat this is based on, i think its barbarians or something, but the painted men could have the paints a little more graphical, it just looks like someone took photoshop and spay painted some skins . . . and the spears . . . . but yeah good job . . .! :charge:

Bwian
06-22-2005, 20:03
Chilly....you have never heard of Conan the Barbarian then? Boy...you need to get out less ;)

It's not barbarians at all. The factions I have started with might be... but that is just the tip of the iceberg for what is planned.

Sfwartir....the descriptions of Turanians from the books definitely fit the turkish mould. Spired helmets and all. Thats how I pictured them too. The models will be based on descriptions from the books wherever possible and from 'accepted' fan fiction where original book references are lacking. The gaps will end up being filled by good old fashioned 'its my mod so Ill do it how I like' ~D

It's fairly clear from the books that R E Howards races were definitely based on historical references. Vendhya is clearly ancient India. Aesir and Vanir are primitive Norse, and so on. You end up with a delightful mix of cultures that could never be mixed in a historical sense, but somehow work well as a background to Conans exploits in the Hyborean Age.

p.s. Chilly.... the Picts ARE just stripped down models with new paint. The skins were touched up and the markings painted on. The feathers, weapons, standards etc. are all brand new meshes. The Aesir models are custom built, but I used the arms and legs of a stock RTW mesh to save time. Heads, armour, weapons etc. are all custom built. My texture work is not the best in the world though....

Bwian
06-26-2005, 20:05
New units and some improved textures are in place.... and the Aesir units are nearly done. A lot of the models will be re-used with new textures for the Vanir....so the Northern BArbarian factions are all but done!

Elite Swordsman
http://img39.echo.cx/img39/3808/elitesword3qg.jpg

Elite Axeman
http://img198.echo.cx/img198/5061/eliteaxe8xh.jpg

Chosen Axemen.
Textures for the armour need to be re-done. They will ultimately be either chainmail or a larger sized scale mail type, depending on whether they are 'Royal Bodyguards' or not.
http://img171.echo.cx/img171/6757/2axe2by.jpg

http://img108.echo.cx/img108/959/2axe24fx.jpg

Oromë
06-26-2005, 21:13
Awsome!!

Tittils
06-26-2005, 21:26
Great units Bwian!

Galaahd
07-13-2005, 23:24
I'm new to this forum, hi to everyone ^^
Just a question: is this project dead? Is the builder still building? ~:confused:

I want this mod, that's my life's dream ~:eek:

ScionTheWorm
07-21-2005, 09:02
A quote for your mod (okay maybe too long, but I'll post it anyway)

Khitan General: We have won again. That is good! But what is best in life?
Khitan Warrior: The open steppe, fleet horse, falcon on your wrist, wind in your hair!
Khitan General: Wrong! Conan, what is best in life?
Conan: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!
Khitan General: That is good.

Bwian
07-21-2005, 09:22
Keep watching the film :D

Incidentally, Khitai is opresenting me with a bit of a problem. The book description makes them much more Chinese in terms of culture. I think I might have to make them a much more diverse faction than otherwise would be the case. Khitai covers such a wide area!

Current progress has been slower than planned....

The Picts are done
The Aesir are done
The Vanir are nearly done
Stygia has been started, as have the Black Kingdoms
The MAP is giving me headaches.....

I need to make a few executive decisions around the sorcerous powers... notably Stygia. I have been conducting some foul experiments on some of the larger mammals ( well...there animations anyway ! ) which I hope will provide me with what I want here ~;)

Galaahd
08-14-2005, 17:50
Any news?

Oh man, i really want that mod

Bwian
08-16-2005, 19:51
Been busy learning the next things I need to know to progress.

Namely how to make a map from scratch, and how to properly get animations into the game which differ significantly from stock RTW ones....

both hurdles now safely cleared !!

Galaahd
08-24-2005, 23:53
Any news man?

P.S.: your work is superb, imo. Don't give up!

Helgi
08-25-2005, 00:52
Any news man?

P.S.: your work is superb, imo. Don't give up!

Galaahd is on the mark about your work, the Aesir and the Pict's look great and looking forward to seeing pictures of Stygian, Turanian, Aquilonian Factions. So Keep up the good work ~:cheers: :thumbsup:

SomeNick
08-28-2005, 05:36
Just wanted to say I have been waiting for one of you talented guys (or group) to do a mod like this for RTW. Used to buy the comic when i was a kid, which got me interested in doing an Ass. Dip. in Fine Art. lol!

Thankyou friend.

~:cheers:

Bwian
08-28-2005, 09:38
This mod is still trundling along...it's been playing seond fiddle to my Robot mod, but it won't be dying just yet! Especially since I have just worked out a way to make some ginat serpents for the Stygians ~;)

Galaahd
08-28-2005, 16:11
Giant serpents?!? ~:eek:

Bwian is god

Helgi
08-28-2005, 20:55
:charge:
"Incidentally, Khitai is opresenting me with a bit of a problem. The book description makes them much more Chinese in terms of culture. I think I might have to make them a much more diverse faction than otherwise would be the case. Khitai covers such a wide area!" (Bwian)
For the Khitai, I would refernce anything on the Shang Dynasty concidering Howard only a few stories in Khitai and he gives some info on them in and a anthology that goes into his al of his stories. :duel: :pumpkin: :punk:

Helgi
09-02-2005, 04:07
Giant serpents?!? ~:eek:

Bwian is god

COOL,
:knight:

Helgi
09-05-2005, 17:04
Bwian is there anything new with your work on Hyborean TW? :bow:

Reverend Joe
09-13-2005, 04:11
Aw, crap. I just found this mod. And it looked really good.

Bwian
09-13-2005, 08:55
Jeez Meatwad....don't be so quick to bury things!

There isn't a lot of progress right now, largely because I am focusing on my other Mod. This mod, also, is a solo effort, which means between 2 mods, a wife, a full time job and 2 children, time can get a little stretched.

Work will progress shortly, once I finish doing all the new skeletons and animations for the otehr mod. Then I will do the full set of giant serpent anims and get the Stygians sorted out.

It all takes time ~:)

Helgi
09-14-2005, 17:43
Jeez Meatwad....don't be so quick to bury things!

There isn't a lot of progress right now, largely because I am focusing on my other Mod. This mod, also, is a solo effort, which means between 2 mods, a wife, a full time job and 2 children, time can get a little stretched.

Work will progress shortly, once I finish doing all the new skeletons and animations for the otehr mod. Then I will do the full set of giant serpent anims and get the Stygians sorted out.

It all takes time ~:)

On this Mod, what parts do you need help on, and how can I and anyone else on this mod help?

Cheers

Helgi
09-28-2005, 01:05
Bwain, small question, knowing that you are busy and all, are you waiting for Barbarian Invasion. I don't mean any disrespect, The work shown looks very good, :wall: :hanged: :eeeek: :rtwno:

Bwian
09-28-2005, 09:46
BI will add a lot of features I want for this Mod, and it gets me off the hook timewise, so I can work on the Robot mod.

The mod will get done, but with a mod team of one, work was never going to be quick!

I hope to get a campaign map done sometime soon, which will help to progress things. I already have all the factions outlined.

Helgi
11-01-2005, 05:00
BI will add a lot of features I want for this Mod, and it gets me off the hook timewise, so I can work on the Robot mod.

The mod will get done, but with a mod team of one, work was never going to be quick!

I hope to get a campaign map done sometime soon, which will help to progress things. I already have all the factions outlined.

:denmark: :england: :france:

What is the status on this mod?:wall: ~:handball: :barrel:

Galaahd
12-17-2005, 17:52
Oh, come on, man...

Helgi
12-17-2005, 23:53
Galaahd,

I spoke to Bwian about this mod, 2-3 weeks ago, and he's recovering from a injury. He'll get it done when he get's it done, he's doing this and the Metal mayham by himself.

Galaahd
12-18-2005, 16:17
I'm sorry about the injury.
Keep up the good work!

ScionTheWorm
12-23-2005, 14:24
I believe Bwian is the same guy working on Metal mayhem, some machine mod for RTW. Looks like a sweaty job to me, so doubt he's prioritizing this one

Helgi
12-26-2005, 06:07
I believe Bwian is the same guy working on Metal mayhem, some machine mod for RTW. Looks like a sweaty job to me, so doubt he's prioritizing this one

He'll get to this one when he both finishes Metal mayhem and recovers from his injury's (when he has a chance too):san_grin:

jorbradshaw
01-10-2006, 08:32
Here is a quick run down of what each military is like.

Faction List:

Aquilonia: Bossonian Archers to the West, Gunderland Pike to the North. Lots of heavy cavalry around the capitol Tarantia (sp?) and some Elite Knights in the southern province of Poitain. Medieval England.

Nemedia: Main enemy of Aquilonia. Lots of knights and cross bow. Medieval France.

Pict Nations: Lots of warrior/hunters. Short bow, naked spear and the like. Terrain fighters.

Stygia: Ancient Egypt. Lots of wizards. Tons of cheap infantry. Some chariots.

Kush: Barbaric black kingdom. Good mix of troops, no heavies though.

Turan: Ancient Turkish. Mailed Horse archers and conscript foot.

Hrykania: Mongols. Light horse armies.
Vanir: Red Haired Vikings
Aesir: Blond Haired Vikings
Hyperborea: Witch kings. Undead warriors. Light troops w/light cavarly.
Cimmeria: Think ancient germanics/goths with black hair and blue eyes.

Khitai: Ancient China. Spear/Crossbow/Horse in equal numbers, but feet of clay. Half their army is made up of light infantry.

Vendhya: Ancient India. Elephants. Light foot. Good archers.

Black Kingdoms: Savages similar to picts. Lots of terrain fighting light troops.

Ophir: Foot heavy medieval army. Corithia to the east has tons of good pikes.
Shem: Semitic foot army. Good archers, well balanced
Argos: Maritime medieval armies.

Zamora: Cowardly soldiers, but a good mix of Light/Heavy foot and cavalry.
Some horse archers from the east.

Iranistan: I've always thought of these guys as a sort of Mameluke clones.

Hope that Helps. I read/own over 70 of the books and played the PBM by reality simulations.