PDA

View Full Version : McNamaram, Nukes and Death Stars.

Lazul
05-24-2005, 10:12
The fact that nobody can stand victorius against the USA in a total war isnt schocking news and all, but what would happen in a large scale war.
Would the US use its WMD? is the US then not as much a danger as some other "evil" states when it comes to global conflict. (include the UK and all other nuke-mad states in that argument actually)

Atleast McNamara, former Defence Minister, seams to think that.

http://www.etc.se/radikala/templates/template_117.asp?number=51880&category=395

my own translation: "imorale, illegal, military unnecessary and horrible dangerous"
Thats what McNamara says about the US and its ways of handeling Nukes.
He also states that he has never been more afraid of a nuclear war like now.

The article also mentions that a modern nuke is around 70 times more powerfull then the Hiroshima bomb.

And in another article wich is related to the Nuke article the ETC magazine talks about the "Space" weapons now being constructed by the US.

http://www.etc.se/radikala/templates/template_117.asp?number=51856&category=395

Clinton stated that Space should be free of all weapons and only used for peacefull ideas.
Now, under Bush the US airforce has for the first time green light to develope space weaponry.
This inculdes "Staffs" that can be dropped from Satellites to bust bunkers and other construction using laser to destroy targets. (Nicknamed Death Stars)

The article ends with a question: "Imagen a world where the USA has Death Stars is space and that they orbit every other nation each 10th minute. Do you think the other nations would accept that?"

tadaaa, antoher weapons-race, this time in space. Wich other nations would join in? Well, Russia, China, Franche, UK... NK?

I gues humanity is doomed to end its own existance.

BDC
05-24-2005, 11:40
The extremely uneducated way I see it is:

These things cost a fortune to built and maintain, let alone use. If there is a big war, international trade collapses, everyone gets poor, and can't afford these weapons, not to mention all the rich business leaders get annoyed. So no one can afford a war, so a major one won't happen.

Lazul
05-24-2005, 13:37
then why make an effort to a space weapons race?

kinda clear that the US gov. want to dominate all areas, kinda scary. If you ask me, space belongs to nobody and everybody. :bow:

Al Khalifah
05-24-2005, 14:30
Apart from Mars which belongs to the people of Yemen.

Lazul
05-24-2005, 15:20
really? then I want Jupiter and its moons for Scandinavia! :charge:
hmm ok, lets not post lame posts :bow:

Duke Malcolm
05-24-2005, 15:27
You're all too late. I'm Emperor of the Solar System, except the moon, which I believe is being sold off by some retarded person which claimed he owns it, or the Germans, and Cruithne, 2nd moon of earth, which is owned by Andorra...

Franconicus
05-24-2005, 15:50
Space already occupied by military. There are spy satelites, communication systems and GPS. And yes, the Americans lead.

G.W. is just looking for another way to give military industry a lot of money!

Franconicus
05-24-2005, 15:53
Atleast McNamara, former Defence Minister, seams to think that.

I think Eisenhower was that first one that feared that the industrial military complex would dominate the country. This is dangerous for the whole world; but it is most dangerous for the US and their democracy - so they should do something against it.

Lazul
05-24-2005, 17:00
You're all too late. I'm Emperor of the Solar System, except the moon, which I believe is being sold off by some retarded person which claimed he owns it, or the Germans, and Cruithne, 2nd moon of earth, which is owned by Andorra...

*Slap*

bmolsson
05-25-2005, 06:03
Would the US use its WMD? is the US then not as much a danger as some other "evil" states when it comes to global conflict. (include the UK and all other nuke-mad states in that argument actually)
you think the other nations would accept that?"

I believe that the next time a nuke is used, it comes from US, regardless if it's right or wrong at that time.....

The article ends with a question: "Imagen a world where the USA has Death Stars is space and that they orbit every other nation each 10th minute. Do you think the other nations would accept that?"

I think we would have a bin Laden in space suite getting it falling through the atmosphere before it is being used..... ~;)

ICantSpellDawg
05-25-2005, 06:16
im not afraid of nuclear war
we all live - we all die
nuclear incineration on a large enough scale has got to be one of the least scary ways to die

you dont have to worry about leaving anyone behind and they wont even mourn you

and, i mean, we are all just killing time anyway
the main goals that people seem to have these days would be solved

look on the bright side - at least there would be no more war or pain

if humanity is just another animal with no "special" or divinely inspired meaning, what is the use of its continued existence?

this is something i've never been able to understand

anyway - you cant erase nuclear technology
and even if you could, someone else would most likely come up with the idea later on

that is - if the planet hasn't died out naturally or been incinerated by a meteor or something by then

Papewaio
05-25-2005, 07:02
if humanity is just another animal with no "special" or divinely inspired meaning, what is the use of its continued existence?

this is something i've never been able to understand

Strange I have always thought the opposite.

If we have an afterlife then this one is hardly all that meaningful. Afterall if we live for ever what does 100 years mean on earth. On the scale of things it makes this life insignificant.

If this is the only life we have then it is our entire existence and we have the capacity to give it the meaning we choose, then this makes it so much more important then being the ante-eternal life.

ICantSpellDawg
05-25-2005, 07:09
Strange I have always thought the opposite.

If we have an afterlife then this one is hardly all that meaningful. Afterall if we live for ever what does 100 years mean on earth. On the scale of things it makes this life insignificant.

If this is the only life we have then it is our entire existence and we have the capacity to give it the meaning we choose, then this makes it so much more important then being the ante-eternal life.

i agree with you either way, theoretically
ive found life, even with a point, to be pointless

but i fail to see how life could then be more "important" if "this is it"

if there is a maze with no way out and an abyss on the outside
is it "Important" that you find where all of the paths lead just because you know that there is nothing on the outside and no way out?

or is it a time killer?

it cant be "better" to do one or the other
to sit home in the dark or run around doing lots of stuff is equally pointless
with or without divinly inspired purpose

it is both natural and illogical to strive for continued existance

Papewaio
05-25-2005, 07:15
Really?

I enjoy the pointy stuff ~D

So does Wasabi ~D ~D ~D ~:cool:

Big_John
05-25-2005, 07:31
it is both natural and illogical to strive for continued existancewhy illogical? the way i see it, the logic/importance of a life is entirely made by the individual living it. is that existentialism or something? i haven't read any sarte or whoever since, like, high school. anyway i don't want or need someone or something else telling how to give my life a point, i want to at least try do that myself. if i fail, i can always fall back on religion or heroin or something. ~;)