PDA

View Full Version : Dorath of the Black Blade

Uesugi Kenshin
05-26-2005, 04:12
I am starting a new series because tonight when I played D&D my character was taken to a new level. I will be providing clips from the campaign as seen from the perspective of my character. He is a level five human fighter with good all-around skills. He is 5'8 and 170 pounds. If you would like more description or background I can give some more. This is starting part-way through the camp[aign and will follow Dorath's development as a character. I did not have much time to write so I was unable to include a key piece of his development that I know and you don't, so please hypothosize as to where he will end up. Either his alignment, good nuetral, evil or what will happen to him. It will be interesting to see where you think he will end up. At the time of this event he was Lawful Nuetral, but some important events took place and this could change.

Sorry about this being very random, Here is the background info:

My character, Dorath is an adept human fighter. He stands about 6' high and weighs about 180 pounds or so. He is very strong, but is still quick, tough, smart, wise (to an extent) and is fairly charismatic. However, he does not use his charisma much because he is blunt, has a one track mind and is sometimes overly independent. He possesses a chain shirt, round helmet, two buckler shields, a pair of worn leather pants, a pair of heavy and very worn leather boots, a pair of thick leather gloves, a rarely used Longbow and a well kept very well used axe with one large blade (enchanted with fire). He is fairly wealthy, but holds no property because he is a traveling mercenary.

I will add the previous story into the original posts.

Death in the Dark

A whisper in the dark, the door dislodges. As I shake the sleep away I wonder what terror awaits. As I lift myself from the rough pallet I reach for my burning great axe. It lights the room in a sickly orange glow. My companion still sleeps on his pallet off to the right, no need to wake him. I approach the door and slowly push it open.

As I peer into the dark I bring my axe forward and can see the hall is empty, but one door is ajar. I creep towards the door, hiding the axe with my body. The door slides effortlessly away. A figure stands in the dark crouched over a tiny form. She is asleep on an oversized pallet, her cudgel lies to her left. Just out of reach.

One step. I slam the door closed and brandish my axe. Two steps. I yell a devilish curse. Three steps. He disappears. A pause. I hear him to my left. Four steps. He falls beneath the blow from the flat of my axe. Six steps. I am upon him, but the tiny form has awoken and springs upon him before I can hold him down.

He reappears, bloodied and disgruntled. A fair elf with long hair and a broken nose. My compatriot has joined us, none of us shall sleep again this night. He throws the halfling away and rises. My fellow warrior prepares a blow. I curse him in Infernal, Common, Dwarven and Draconic and urge him to strike. He does not.

Blood sprays into the air. Fine like mist and crimson as the dawn. The air fills with the stench of burned cloth and flash. My axe has found its mark.

The intruder falls. I curse the day my compatriot found a conscience. Money, that is all a mercenary should yearn for. Not the bosom of a kind companion or the thanks of a village. Gold is my religion and my religion is gold.

Dorath of the Black Blade

Uesugi Kenshin
05-28-2005, 03:36
Next installment, and by the way please comment on this! I have no idea what people think about a story if nobody says they like or hate it.

The God of the Deep

The intruder pig-tied, hanging from my hand. The Elven king demanding our services, at his convenience. Impertinent fool. I work at my convenience, not that of someone else’s king.

I leave.

The cries of my companions cannot stop me, I am done with this kingdom. Perhaps my fortune lies elswhere, or perhaps....

I stand before the lake, the lake where the fool’s daughter lost herself. A booming voice fills my mind. I am not fazed, nothing fazes me. The giant zombie, the murder of an old woman, the pupiless orbs of the Doppelganger that now hangs from my fist, none of them fazed me.

This god requests that I kill the being that the Elf wanted me to slay. I am here for my fortune and cannot be delayed.

My companions arrive, still following the king’s orders. They stumble upon hearing the voice of my new patron. No matter, they are irrelevant. Their mission is now my mission and I shall be payed accordingly. The princess floats out from the depths in a pearl-like bubble, thin and fair with severe features. I toss the craven assassin into the deep. My patron’s tentacles quickly pull him below.

I gather the princess into my arms and jog off, leaving my companions to stare in bewilderment.

Upon reaching the Elven gates I call for the king. Now he comes to my summons, he serves me at my leisure. I demand 15,000 gold, the price he would have paid for all three of us to recover his daughter. He grudgignly accepts, though only after I brandish my broadsword and threaten to separate him from his daughter, forever. I have the less materialistic of my companions count the gold and then I appraise it. No tricks here, it is indeed gold.

I drop the princess, she has not yet awoken. So much the better, the farther away I am when the king recovers from his grief the better. I gather up my fortune and lope of, into the forest. Into the darkness.

I arrive once again at the majestic lake of my patron, the god of the deep dark depths of the lake. He wants me to go off to the north, to the dwarves. There I am to find a gate to another plane and meet one of his associates. I do nothing without payment and so I request that he imbue my axe to grant me tangible evidence of my divine favor. He agrees and I toss the blade into the lake.

A flash of dark light, beautiful and menacing, erupts from the lake. My weapon resurfaces, slightly darker. I heft it. Still the same weight and balance, but somehow more fearsome.

I salute my new God and trek north, no longer is fortune my goal, but power. With this new lord I can become richer, stronger and more influential than I ever dreamed during my most mead laden slumbers.

Dorath of the Black Blade

Monk
05-28-2005, 20:20
Uesugi Kenshin...

I'm not sure how to comment on this. in the first part I honestly had no idea what was going on. You never describe who you mean by "He" and "she", therefore everything is confused and blurring together.

Your sentences are very shortand come off disjointed. "the tiny form" isn't explained either. I still have yet to figure out exactly what that was. Perhaps if you explained the main focus of the plot it would become clearer

Uesugi Kenshin
05-29-2005, 04:00
Ok, sorry I wrote both when I was severely in need of sleep and had a lot of stuff going on. I am tired today as well, had to go to a Bar Mitzvah, but tomorrow I will edit them, HEAVILY.

I will also explain what the hell is going on tomorrow.

Uesugi Kenshin
05-30-2005, 04:34
I have begun work on the explanation, but it will take longer than expected. I will hopefully finish it tomorrow.