PDA

View Full Version : King Fahd Death Watch

Proletariat
05-31-2005, 04:42
Link. (www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8006302/)

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia - Saudi Arabia issued a state of alert and canceled all leave for security forces, a government official said, after King Fahd was hospitalized on Friday, raising alarm over the deteriorating health of the ruler of the world’s top oil exporter.

"The authorities declared a state of alert, canceled all leave of the security forces and put forces on standby after the king was admitted to hospital," an Interior Ministry official told Reuters.

A senior Saudi official in Riyadh told NBC News that doctors had tried to drain fluid from King Fahd's lung. The source said that while the procedure was completed at the doctors' request the monarch was moved to the hospital in Riyadh.

"These next few days are critical," the source added.

What would the impact of this be?

My guess is Jeffersonian Democracy.

Idaho
06-02-2005, 13:13
Link. (www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8006302/)

My guess is Jeffersonian Democracy.

Hahahah - you are joking right?

If the Saudi's had a free democratic eletion they would vote in a party that would make the Taleban look like the Democrats.

English assassin
06-02-2005, 13:39
Umm. This is rather telling:

"The authorities declared a state of alert, canceled all leave of the security forces and put forces on standby after the king was admitted to hospital,"

When Brenda finally pops her clogs I don't think they will find it necessary to deploy the Paras and work 24 hour shifts at MI5, so something's up...

On the assumption that its not actually possible to hold an entire population down if they don't want to be held, then its all going to depend on whether the population see this as a chance to rise up. (I can't see why the security forces would spontaneously back anyone other than the crown prince, so it will depend on whether a popular movement gets going on the street too quickly to be stopped.)

If it does, taliban city here we come and we are completely in the soup because not the whole of the US armed forces would be sufficient for a regime change in saudi. I wouldn't be at all surprised if quite a few people in saudi are finding themselves under arrest/dead right about now.

not that I give a stuff about the royal family I think we can assume they will be OK no matter what.

Proletariat
06-02-2005, 14:26
Hahahah - you are joking right?

Yes, I was joking. I don't actually expect them to start examining the Federalist papers any time soon.

I'll actually contribute to this thread at lunch when I have a moment, off to work for now. Whee.

Dâriûsh
06-02-2005, 15:44
Democracy? :shifty:

No. I think, if the king dies, the Crown Prince will be king. I fail to envisage a forthcoming system-change. Not in Saudi Arabia.

Edit: Not a peaceful one, at least.

Stefan the Berserker
06-02-2005, 16:01

The Prince will replace his father, like usual in absolute Monarchies. Also I don't expect a reform of the Country towards consitutional monarchy, since the Crownprince supported the domestic policies of his father.

If there is potential in Saudi-Arabia for a Coup against the Gouverment, it could happen when Fahd dies. But I don't see that potential...

However, a Coup would be nice. George would use the Situation to "liberate" another Country. ~:)

English assassin
06-02-2005, 16:33
However, a Coup would be nice. George would use the Situation to "liberate" another Country.

No, he's not that dumb. Infidels invading the holy land really would precipitate a general Islamic world vs America war. Surely not even George looks forward to a future made safe for Americans provided they never set foot outside Festung America? (then again maybe he does?)

Big_John
06-02-2005, 17:44
The Prince will replace his father, like usual in absolute Monarchies. Also I don't expect a reform of the Country towards consitutional monarchy, since the Crownprince supported the domestic policies of his father.according to gerald posner (on the daily show anyway), the crown prince (fahd's half-brother) will succeed fahd, and he's like 80.. then the 80 year old defense minister after that.. posner says reforms will definitely not happen until the next generation comes in.