PDA

View Full Version : If you were King/President/Prime Minister, what would be the first 3 things you do?

Duke Malcolm
06-02-2005, 16:31
I was just wondering what the first three things you would do if you were the leader of your home country (or any other countries of which you are a citizen or subject), and you don't have to worry about parliaments and such things.

For me :

1. Increase the size of the Armed Forces
2. Re-nationalise the Royal Mail
3. Re-build the Empire

The fact that it was mainly Labour governments that did the opposite of the above three is merely co-incidental, I think...

English assassin
06-02-2005, 16:41
1 Build a large amount of reasonably high density housing in the south east of England and sell it on the open market to bring prices back down. Abolish VAT on development of brownfield sites and ban any new building on greenfield sites

2 make child care fully tax deductable, including a full tax credit if one parent stays at home while the other works but ONLY if the parents are married or in a registered civil partnership.

3 pass a Secular Act, disestablishing the Church of England, prohibiting the teaching of religion in publically funded schools, repealling the offences of incitement to religious hatred and criminal blasphemy, repealing the prohibition against discrimination on religious grounds etc.

Beirut
06-02-2005, 16:53
Beirut The Terrible - King of Canada

1 - Fully nationalize the health care system at every level and in every conceivable way. Including dentists, prescriptions, glasses, everything.

2 - Form and command command the King's Own Death Squad. Criminals who always get away with it would get away with it no more.

3 - Institute a national program of government supplied concubines from both domestic and foreign sources. Keep the menfolk happy I say. ~:cheers:

Al Khalifah
06-02-2005, 17:06
1. Hire private companies to run failed NHS Hospitals on contracts with limitted but effective government regulation on standards, rather than targets. Such hospitals would be run like a business, but would recieve their funding from the government. Introduce a very small tax on very fatty foods.
2. Bring European Intercity high speed lines to Britain, to go from Folkestone to London and from there to Birmingham, Edinborough and Manchester. Start a process of adding additional lanes to the channel tunnel. The channel tunnel will also be fined for illegal immigrants entering the country through it, as will any freight ferry companies. Immigrants illegally entering the UK by passing from EU nations and nations where they are in no danger of oppression will have their assylum claims extremely discriminated against unless there are special circumstances.
3. Create 12 seperate UK states, capable of raising local incoming taxes to pay for the majority of local services (which would replace council tax) and electing regional assemblies that can decide on local issues. The national government would control income tax and national insurance and would have say over national issues. Allow regional or national referenda if a certain quota of the population petition for one. Renegotiate EU contributions (downawards) to increase the amount of money available for development of poorer regions in the UK and increasing aid to Africa.

King Henry V
06-02-2005, 17:14
I as King would:

1.Call up for national service avery one who knows how to use a longbow, a billhook, a sword or ride a horse.
2. Assert my claim on France.
3. Invade France.

Do not tell me that I hate France, because I love it. I love it so much I want to have every village in it.........

On a more serious note:
1. Make myself the supreme ruler.
2. Organise a new economic plan. This includes of raising millions of punds in bonds as capital. Then this money would be invested in various sectors of the market. The people with the bonds would be given interest on the money lent and any money made would serve to nationalise things such as the railways. These would be run by a Swiss. The money would also be used to improve health care, education, police force, armed forces and so on. The rest would be used to buy more shares/companies. Since the money is invested in various sectors, the likelyhood of a loss is reduced.
3. Return to the grammar school/secondary modern system, where the secondary moderns focus on manual skills such as carpentry.

Of course, there's much more to do such as reinstating the death penalty for murderers, serial killers,traitors to the state and people who like Fiat cars. Corporal punishment should also come into force for yobbism and so on. Rapists and paedophiles should be castrated.

Byzantine Prince
06-02-2005, 17:24
So many things come to mind, I better not even start. If this was what are 100 things you would do I would have a field day. ~D

Don Corleone
06-02-2005, 17:55
3 - Institute a national program of government supplied concubines from both domestic and foreign sources.

All hail King Beirut the Enlightened.

Ronin
06-02-2005, 18:05
3 - Institute a national program of government supplied concubines from both domestic and foreign sources. Keep the menfolk happy I say. ~:cheers:

my allegiance is yours my lord...

Lazul
06-02-2005, 18:42
1. nationalize infrastructure.

2. reform the Swedish armed forces to be more modern and to a professional army. No more draft but keep the army small and elite.

3. increase the support to students to incurage young unemployed to study if no job is available.¨

could go on for ever. :bow:

Nelson
06-02-2005, 18:43
I would remove the designated hitter from major league baseball.

I would approve 5 year eligibility for collegiate football players in the NCAA.

Then I would balance the national budget.

doc_bean
06-02-2005, 18:51
1. Cut unemployment benefits in half, use the money to help fund new upstart companies and to reduce labour costs.

2. Stricter control on doctors, hospitals and pharmacies so that public healthcare can stay affordable.

3. Built a kick arse police force, armed with the latest FN Herstal rifles (got to support local economy), redraw the legal system so it includes more juries and less appeals, built more prisons, keep the criminals locked away longer. Forced labour in prison, like a sweat shop, so they don't compete with the people in the normal economy.

DemonArchangel
06-02-2005, 19:41
God-Emperor Demon Archangel I's Agenda:

1.) Stop spending 20% of the budget on social security. Start spending around 10%

2.) Take the money saved and use it to increase the federal education budget and the military budget.

3.) Legalize prostitution.

The_Doctor
06-02-2005, 19:49
1. Build clone army.
2. Invade Rotterdam, just to see the expression Emperor Umeu 1's face.
3. Make some kind of space program and explore/colonise/conquer the solar system.

Byzantine Prince
06-02-2005, 19:49
1) Ban Religion
2) Disband the army
3) Legalize prostitution
4) Legalize Marijuana
5) Create a secret police
6) MAke sure I control every branch of the government
7) Execute murderes and rapists
8) Make Beirut my second in Command

Don Corleone
06-02-2005, 20:06
The Don says...

1) Corporate welfare, in it's many forms, is now illegal by decree. Let United take a dive, somebody who knows how to run an airline business will take their place.

2) From now on, the United States will only post troops on it's own soil. We will offer aid where we can, but only where our aid workers security can be guaranteed. The first act of agression against one and all aid is suspended. We will not use troops to guarantee the safety of foreign aid workers, and it will take an official act of war to have troops deployed on any foreign soil, even when requested (ie, I'd remove all troops from Korea, Okinawa, Germany, Italy, Saudi Arabia, et. al).

3) From now on, America's military secrets are her own. Without exception, we will no longer share any military techology with foreign powers, friend or foe.

4) America is once again in the business of business. We will trade with anyone, anywhere. In rare occassions where boycotts/embargoes are called for, the exact reason for the embargo, and a series of conditions to be met to remove the embargo will be required to be published before said embargo can go into affect.

5) Flat tax. You only pay on money you earn over 50K.

6) We reinstitute mandatory national service. Our military will return to being a citizen army and only health exemptions will excuse somebody from serving.

7) I call this one the 'Beirut is right' rule. I'm making Beirut "Minister of Babes" and all policies he institutes with regards to the fairer sex shall be considered empowered with all the weight of my office. To show my own flair in this regard, a select corps of 'Hooters' girls will be chosen to attend to all serving functions at the White House.

DemonArchangel
06-02-2005, 20:39
4.) Beirut becomes my harem manager. He gets 14 free girls a week.

5.) I will develop fusion power, even if it means pulling the technology out of my own ***hole.

6.) I will colonize space.

The_Doctor
06-02-2005, 21:14
6.) I will colonize space.

You personally by yourself?

Evil_Maniac From Mars
06-02-2005, 21:33

Duke Malcolm
06-02-2005, 21:49
May as well add another 3...

4. Appoint Beirut as Viceroy of Canada, in exchange for a few dozen concubines.
5. Marry into the House of Windsor, perhaps Princess Eugenie, and make myself King of Great Britain and Emperor of India.
6. Enforce a strict diet of deep-fried Mars Bars, potatoes, and Welshmen.

p.s. and everybody knows that the British Army is the best trained in the world, especially the Black Watch, the Royal Marines, and the Parachute Regiment...

kiwitt
06-02-2005, 22:04
1) Flat Income Tax = 20% (Companies and individuals, and investment returns (i.e. dividends and interest)
2) Sales tax = 10% (All goods and commercial services, except food, water, government services)
3) Every $1 contributed to a Pension scheme (locked in until 55), etc. earns $1 less tax per year.

Uesugi Kenshin
06-02-2005, 22:13
Save the environment from Bush

Institute clean/renewable fuel initiatives

Mend Mid-East relations, somehow...

May not be the top three but they are up there.

lars573
06-02-2005, 22:55
As King Lars I of Canada I would,

-Create a noble class

-Enlarge the military to repectable levels

-Make Beirut Grand Duke of Quebec for him to rule as he sees fit, provided that entails absolute loyalty to me.

-Make my brother Grand Duke of Alberta (if you knew my brother this is the ultimate punishment)

-legalize prostitution, and polygmany (for men and women)

-Loosen up immigration laws, and make it so immigrant doctors engineers, and the like can find work easier and quicker here.

Kaiser of Arabia
06-02-2005, 22:57
1. Disband Congress and the Judiciary, declair myself Kaiser von Amerika
2. Take full command of the military, expand it with massive conscriptions, increase basic training, increase Armor production (as in Tanks).
3. Begin to rid the nation of illegals and other potential enemies of the state.
4. Outlaw all opposition parties.
5. Reestablish a moral government; end the humanist and heretical plots, by force if nessissary.
6. Take over Germany, move my government there, and rename my nation "Der Reich von Deutschland und Amerika." Make Munich my capital.
7. Take back Alcase, Lorraine, Prussia, Pomerania, Silsea, and the Sudentland.
8. Withdraw from the UN and other entangling treaties, take any other willing nations into a (insert numeral here) entante.
9. Test a new missile program on various unimportant islands.
10. Take full control of whatever I want.

Tribesman
06-02-2005, 23:26
1 Throw a big party
2 sleep a little
3 have another party

Sorted , the country can go to hell as long as it doesn't disturb my fun ~:cheers:

Steppe Merc
06-03-2005, 00:05
King Steppe Merc of Happy Land (which includes the current holdings of the United States of America)

1. Legalise marijuana, LSD, and shrooms, legalise prostitution and gambling, and make the drinking age and legal to have sex age (whatever that is called...) 17 ~;)
2. Outlaw the death penalty
3. Cut military spending drastically, give the excess money to improve the poor, education and our economy
4. Invest into nuclear, solar and wind energy. Give tax breaks to companies that create hybrid car, solar powered houses, and other enviromentally friendly things. Outlaw further oil drilling in places like Alaska and Antartica. Tax heavily all SUV maker and Hummer sellers.
5. De centralize and create general confusion in the current music business that promotes only pop and rap, and other crap. Allow all bands that are good (read: that I like ~;) ) to continue as they have always done in addition to helping them, as well as creating my own record company to help return good (read: music that I like) to the world. I would sign new bands that I like, as well as any already existant bands that wanted out of the bad music companies. I would give the artists complete control, and they wouldn't have to worry about making popular music, only good music.
6. Become a vassal to King Beruit, in return for his protection and friendship, I would send a set amount of attractive, willing women to King Beruit that he has chosen per year. :bow:

ah_dut
06-03-2005, 00:16
1) spend gazillions of dollars/pounds/yen/flying monkeys on alternate power generation tech
2) Force Beirut to become my minister for women ~D
3) liberalize the place up i.e. legalizing soft drugs, prostitution etc and also, good music :wink:

Evil_Maniac From Mars
06-03-2005, 00:37

Kaiser of Arabia
06-03-2005, 01:17
[QUOTE=Kaiser of Arabia] Take over Germany,my government there, and rename my nation "Der Reich von Deutschland und Amerika." Make Munich my capital.
QUOTE]
Not if we take over you first!
You're not German! You're too smushy to be German! AHHH! FUR DER KAISER! :charge: :duel: :knight: :whip :stwmean: :barrel: : :hanged: :hanged: :rifle:

PanzerJaeger
06-03-2005, 02:01
1) Reinstate the sedition laws, which would take care of the leftist fifth column in America.

2) Reinstate the draft.

3) Take control of the entire Middle East and deal with Chavez in Venezuela via a CIA cocktail.

4) Give Russia a freehand with Chechnya and the former satellites for an agreement to sell their oil only to America and Europe.

5) Use my now consolidated power of the worlds oil to bend China over my knee, thus eliminating the only true competition to America's power.

This situation can be sustained for as long as Oil is the #1 commodity in the world. Europe will not ever be a threat to anyone this century and by playing Russia and China off each other, all competition is extinguished. :bow:

Steppe Merc
06-03-2005, 02:13
I've just thought of another thing: send some very good pot to PJ and especially Kaiser so they can chill, and forget about their world domination for a bit. ~;)

GoreBag
06-03-2005, 02:28
I've just thought of another thing: send some very good pot to PJ and especially Kaiser so they can chill, and forget about their world domination for a bit. ~;)

I move for pot to be exchanged with salvia divinorum. It shouldn't be hard for the Christian zealots to have a religious revelation with some 40x extract oil.

As dictator of Canada, I would

1) Re-legalize the duel and construct a model of its procedures in order to keep it safe on off the streets.
2) Legalize polygamy, gay marriage and other personal freedoms as well nuking Catholic education.
3) Remove Canada's anti-hate speech laws.

ichi
06-03-2005, 02:36
1) Establish a sane energy/transportation policy, focused on safely developing nuclear/fission and weaning Americans from cars, reducing our dependence on foreign oil, reducing our impacts on the environment, and improving safety.

2) Open up all the cool secret FBI and military secrets files to find out who killed JFK, what's being kept at Area 51, the truth about global warming and WMD in Iraq, etc.

3) Invade Canada

ichi :bow:

Samurai Waki
06-03-2005, 03:10
Since I live in Grand Cayman, not much I could militarily, or diplomatically.

1. Nationalize all Hotels/Resorts/Tourism Ventures
2. Kick all the snobby British/Fat Overly Rich Americans Off
3. Live like a Rockstar Baby :rockstar:

KukriKhan
06-03-2005, 04:28
Fun game. :thumbsup:

The Benevolent Dictatorship of Kukristan, formerly known as the USA, sets out the following policies:

1. Domestic: On attaining adulthood, each citizen gets: 1 acre, 1 2-bedroom house (with utilities), 1 "green" vehicle, and 1 minimum-wage job working for me. Use those things, or sell them/shun them...your decision. I get 10% of whatever you produce yearly, and 5 years of personal service doing whatever I deem best (you pick which 5 years between age 20 & 50). To encourage teamwork, you may pick 1 person in your lifetime (a 'mate') to whom you can transfer your wealth after you have died. Only 1...choose wisely. When they die, all the wealth you and he/she accumulated reverts to me, for redistribution to new citizens. No mate? All ur base r belong to me. Education & medical = free.

2. Foreign: Don Corlene's policy in toto.

3. Politics: I am the final decider. Once a year, when you settle up your 10% production tax, you must journey to a location of my choice to vote (via an .Org poll) on matters I set before you.

Papewaio
06-03-2005, 05:14
President Papewaio.

1st thing: Demand a recount. It should put the opposition on the backfoot.

2nd thing: Make Wasabi my intern. ~D

3rd thing: Hire the Org Moderators and Patrons to actually run the country while I chase the intern around my office. ~:cheers:

King Arthur
06-03-2005, 05:39
1st : world domination
2nd :free club sandwiches for all
3rd :make national holiday 'St Georges' day more important , as English dont
celebrate their saints days like the Scottish or Irish
by making day a national holiday in which no-one works (apart from doctors police etc)

Ja'chyra
06-03-2005, 10:04
President Papewaio.

2nd thing: Make Wasabi my intern. ~D

3rd thing: Hire the Org Moderators and Patrons to actually run the country while I chase the intern around my office. ~:cheers:

LOL

Ok, here goes.

1. Reintroduce national service, there goes unemployment
2. Ban religion, this includes Songs of Praise............ I mean damn that's a bad programme.
3. Change all laws including legalise and tax prostitution, ban immigration except when we want them, reintroduce corporal and capital punishment and make it a crime for politicians not to keep their promises.

Oh there could be so much more like

1. Ban chavs
2. Ban boy racers
3. Ban foreign companies from owning British companies (I'm taking the whole of Britain not just Scotland by the way)
4. Reserve the right to tell the EU, or anyone else, to go poke it (Using this terminology while laughing at them)
5. Reserve the right to invade anyone and take what we want without having to make up lame excuses ~;) ~D (Don't bite)
6. Cahnge IPR laws so that anything desigend by Britains or with British money belongs to me (Pet hate at work ~:) )
7. Enforce compulsory diets for fat folk.

English assassin
06-03-2005, 10:05
Blimey, we've got everything from feudalism (still, it sounds a good feudalism, Kukri) to all out nazi aggression (dude, work those issues out).

If we are allowed to comment on other people's programmes for their country I would say I think Don's policies would be hugely in America's interests. (In real life I mean) I hereby appoint Don my minister for trade and foreign affairs. Steppe merc, Beruit and tribesman are hereby appointed ministers for fun.

JAG
06-03-2005, 12:29
1) Nationalise all industry and infrastructure which are vital to the day to day runnings of the vast majority of people in the country - private companies have been proven to not be able to cope / be trusted with them. Railways, healthcare, Gas, telephones etc

2) Real progressive taxation. It is no surprise that when the UK had the biggest form of progressive taxation - top rate 95% - we had the smallest difference between rich and poor. Tax bands would stay but tax for those in the higher bands would vastly increase.

3) Slash military spending by slashing military numbers and equipment. Embrace the EU and a new foreign policy / military department and have a common defence policy. Invest more money into high tech weaponry but have the military budget at minimal levels. Use money from this and increased taxation to spend more on important areas of social inclusion and public interest - Schools, hospitals and run down inner city areas.

~:cheers:

BDC
06-03-2005, 12:44
1) Legalise and tax everything.

2) Make duels on the common outside Parliament compulsory for all politicians who fall out.

3) Give Wales, Scotland, Cornwall, Ireland and anyone else who wants it independence.

4) Order the mass migration of English people to key foreign consitituencies in the EU so that they can vote there and subtly annex major parts of Europe.

5) Make wearing top hats compulsory. Let's see anyone have their hoodies up then! Bwahahaha.

Steppe Merc
06-03-2005, 12:52
Kurki, your feudalism does sound interesting. Though of course I'm against compulsary military service... unless I get a horse, can keep my long hair, and fight mounted using a composite bow... ~;)

I thought of something else. I would redisgn the military uniforms. Their too bland. They need to be more flashy, like the Persian, steppe and hussars sort of flashy. I'm talking bright colored kaftans, funky hats with feathers, bandannas, and long hair, with sabres as well as rifles. They would be mounted on the best geldings (stallions as warhorses wouldn't be practical in this sense, since they would be mainly used as long distance skirmishers, as opposed to chargers) To me, that is far more intemidating than a bald person in green on foot.
:charge:

And English Assassin, I would accept, assmuning Happy Land never got formed. ~D

KukriKhan
06-03-2005, 13:24
Blimey, we've got everything from feudalism (still, it sounds a good feudalism, Kukri)...

That's generous, thanks. ~;) I started with the concepts of ownership and inheritance, the 2 things we humans seem to argue/fight/kill over the most, and went from there. Of course I ignored the huge bureaucracy needed to administer Kukristan, and never addressed what happens when I, the dictator, die.

Interesting just how detailed some folks' plans are.

BDC
06-03-2005, 13:42
When you die, all your harem should also kill themselves in despair. As this will be every pretty women within 3,000 miles, the locals need not worry about their future, as they will never be able to reproduce anyway.

Don Corleone
06-03-2005, 16:02
1) Nationalise all industry and infrastructure which are vital to the day to day runnings of the vast majority of people in the country - private companies have been proven to not be able to cope / be trusted with them. Railways, healthcare, Gas, telephones etc

2) Real progressive taxation. It is no surprise that when the UK had the biggest form of progressive taxation - top rate 95% - we had the smallest difference between rich and poor. Tax bands would stay but tax for those in the higher bands would vastly increase.

3) Slash military spending by slashing military numbers and equipment. Embrace the EU and a new foreign policy / military department and have a common defence policy. Invest more money into high tech weaponry but have the military budget at minimal levels. Use money from this and increased taxation to spend more on important areas of social inclusion and public interest - Schools, hospitals and run down inner city areas.

~:cheers:

You forgot step 4: Bend over and grab your ankles for Russia, China or some other large, predatory nation state. ~:eek:

And no offense Jag, but measuring the delta between the richest & poorest citizen is not a good measure of a nation's ability to create wealth. Myanamar does a terrific job at this, because everyone lives in abject poverty. Is that what you're advocating? Everone is equally poor and equally miserable?

JAG
06-03-2005, 17:57
With the EU defence policy there would be no need for such large nation state armed forces, so nothing like being invaded would happen.

As for the difference between the extremes being a bad measure I certainly disagree. It is the best measure of a society. If you want to go to one extreme and state that everyone living in poverty is better than 50%, I will say yes, if through that situation you deal with the problems rather than pretend they do not exist as the ruling 50% out of poverty deceive themselves. Likewise everyone living very comfortably is better than 50%, for obvious reasons.

Don Corleone
06-03-2005, 18:07
Jag,

Defence policies are (at least supposed to be) just that. If you disband your military, aren't you inviting attack?

I'm sorry, I read the 2nd part of your post 5 times, and I cannot understand what it is you're trying to say. So, I'm going to ask you in multiple choice format. Are you saying:

A) It doesn't matter if everyone lives in poverty, so long as EVERYONE lives in poverty?

B) Once 50% of the population lives in poverty, by definition, it won't be poverty anymore?

C) Some variant I can't conceive.

I'm not being difficult, I really can't make sense of your 2nd paragraph.

And you never answered my premise. At what point can society say "Okay, I've done enough. This person is unhelpable". If I insist on my constitutional right to sit on my ass and drink 1000 bottle dollars of cognac all day, doesn't society owe me that? Especially if I can claim that I'm in the lower bracket of the income scale? And yes I'm using hyperbole, because I want to pin you down... at what point can society say 'we've thrown enough of our resources away on this individual?' And don't say something esoteric like 'we should do all we can', or 'we'll know when we've done enough'. I'm serious, I want a means test out of you...

King Henry V
06-03-2005, 18:55
Have Jag arrested and brain-washed until he can only say: "Socialism is evil, Europe is evil, Socialism is evil, Europe is evil........." ~;)

JAG
06-03-2005, 19:08
Defence policies are (at least supposed to be) just that. If you disband your military, aren't you inviting attack?

Not at all we would be hidden behind an EU shield plus we would not have all our armed forces disbanded and as I stated I would be quite willing to invest in high tech weaponry. Lets face it boots on the ground is becoming less and less the major factors in wars.

I'm sorry, I read the 2nd part of your post 5 times, and I cannot understand what it is you're trying to say.

Man, I should be a politician! ~D

I am stating that the status quo of people in poverty is going to become far more likely to be overthrown if more people are in poverty and hardship. With say 50% of the population in poverty and 50% well off, the status quo will - in all honesty and as proven - not be broken, where as if everyone was in the same common condition things would change. so if it be everyone starts off at the same level of income which is not very good, all the better for the change in fortunes.

But then again, it is not very likely that everyone is going to be in poverty. If we took the current situation and added redistribution, it is absurd to state that everyone would be below the poverty line.

JAG
06-03-2005, 19:09
Have Jag arrested and brain-washed until he can only say: "Socialism is evil, Europe is evil, Socialism is evil, Europe is evil........." ~;)

You never know, give me £3 billion and you might not need the brain-whashing. ~;)

Don Corleone
06-03-2005, 19:59
Well, isn't 'poverty' a relative term? Isn't it defined by 'most of our citizens should expect to have at least this', and this changes as society improves itself? 30 years ago, central air conditioning was a pretty extravagant luxury here in the States. Now, no home is built without it. Is it fair to say that a person who's given a free home, but without central air conditioning, is being forced to live in poverty? Is it society's obligation to go build him a new house with central air?

doc_bean
06-03-2005, 21:33
where as if everyone was in the same common condition things would change. so if it be everyone starts off at the same level of income which is not very good, all the better for the change in fortunes.

But since your socialism is implanted, what incentive do people have to produce more and work harder ? You'll just take their money away !

This is, apparently, the problem in some parts of Africa, where it is custom that you share your wealth with your 'tribe'. The net result is that nobody works hard.

There was an article in the Onion once, 'communism doesn't work in shared apartment' or something like that. The thing was, everyone agreed to do an equal amount of work. There was just one guy who didn't do his part. Of course, certain people got pissed about it and didn't want to do anything before that guy did his part. It was a domino effect and the result was that no one did anything around the apartment anymore.

Now I've lived in quite a few shared houses, this story is very real, although, often, one or two people will work, and the rest will just make fun of them because they are such idiots and the rest have it easy.

Point is (finally !) socialism has its purpose, to redistribute wealth in an economically healthy society, but in a poor society, it just doesn't work.

Well, isn't 'poverty' a relative term?

Usually poverty is defined as having to spend a certain amount (50% IIRC) of your income on food. It's definition is debatable of course.

DemonArchangel
06-03-2005, 23:58
I thought of something else. I would redisgn the military uniforms. Their too bland. They need to be more flashy, like the Persian, steppe and hussars sort of flashy. I'm talking bright colored kaftans, funky hats with feathers, bandannas, and long hair, with sabres as well as rifles. They would be mounted on the best geldings (stallions as warhorses wouldn't be practical in this sense, since they would be mainly used as long distance skirmishers, as opposed to chargers) To me, that is far more intemidating than a bald person in green on foot.
:charge:

You're in bright clothing. I have a sniper rifle.

OSOK. (Figure out the acronym).

Laridus Konivaich
06-04-2005, 00:16
1: create a budget surplus (romove welfare, cut back all spending generall, fire 10,000 government employees)

2: reduce the number of laws by 80%, and remove all special rights which have been granted to 'protect minority groups', they are unfair to everyone else.

3: make it harder to sue, as part of the effort to promote personal responsibility.

Kaiser of Arabia
06-04-2005, 00:31
You never know, give me £3 billion and you might not need the brain-whashing. ~;)
How about a cookie and some pie? ~;) ~:cheers:

mercian billman
06-04-2005, 00:37
1. Place a large tax on SUVs/Trucks that aren't being used for real work, like farming or construction. People living in areas with bad roads could be exempted on a case by case basis. This would be part of legislation thats more enviromentally friendly.

2. Create a zone in the country where everything is legal. I'll call it the North American Freedom of Action Zone or NAFAZ. Basicly it will be an area of the country with no federal, state, or local government. Legal jurisdiction will belong to the US Marshals, and industrial/commercial development will not be allowed.

3. Ban all Saturn commercials. Saturn is a crappy car which relies on extremely corny commercials that suck.

4. Ban all OnStar commercials which involve children. These commercials attempt to emotionally persuade Americans into buying a product by using children which is just plain wrong. OnStar is a great product, but they need to get rid of the crappy commercials.

Steppe Merc
06-04-2005, 01:45
You're in bright clothing. I have a sniper rifle.

OSOK. (Figure out the acronym).
Why am I fighting you in the first place? And where are you that you can hide using sniper? Why would I commit my cavalry forces to anywhere, much less a place other than plains?

JAG
06-04-2005, 02:29
Well, isn't 'poverty' a relative term? Isn't it defined by 'most of our citizens should expect to have at least this', and this changes as society improves itself? 30 years ago, central air conditioning was a pretty extravagant luxury here in the States. Now, no home is built without it. Is it fair to say that a person who's given a free home, but without central air conditioning, is being forced to live in poverty? Is it society's obligation to go build him a new house with central air?

Yes poverty is relative but no to your question.

Don Corleone
06-04-2005, 02:49
Okay, well, where is the line in your mind then, Jag? At what point do you say "okay, this guy has given enough, and this guy has taken enough"? Or can you? Is there any sense of a limit in your mind?

Laridus Konivaich
06-04-2005, 03:14
2. Create a zone in the country where everything is legal. I'll call it the North American Freedom of Action Zone or NAFAZ. Basicly it will be an area of the country with no federal, state, or local government. Legal jurisdiction will belong to the US Marshals, and industrial/commercial development will not be allowed.
I think that there are some problems with this point: if everything is legal, why do the US Marshals have legal jurisdiction. Also, if everything is legal, how can industrial/commercial development be banned there?

mercian billman
06-04-2005, 06:10
I think that there are some problems with this point: if everything is legal, why do the US Marshals have legal jurisdiction. Also, if everything is legal, how can industrial/commercial development be banned there?

Sorry that was my mistake.

Not everything would be legal, things like rape, murder, and other violent crime would be illegal. "Victimless" crime would not be illegal though, so you could smoke all the pot you want.

Industrial and Commercial development would be banned because were trying to re-create the idea of the old west here. The ban is really unneeded (sp?) though because firms would be discouraged from locating their operations in the area due to lack of infrastructure.

mercian billman
06-04-2005, 06:36

Yes poverty is relative but no to your question.

From an economic viewpoint poverty is not relative. Poverty is defined as lacking the means to provide material needs and comforts required for healthy living.

Don Corleone
06-04-2005, 12:50
Sorry, but that is a relative definition.

Why do I say that? The definition of 'need', 'comfort' and 'healthy' keep changing. It may not be relative in the here and now, but do you see how my air conditioning example holds up as a luxury in the past, but could be considered 'poverty' today, in light of this definition?

Productivity
06-04-2005, 13:36
1. Apologise to the aboriginal australian's and torres straight islanders. It's completely out of order that our government refuses to do this.

2. Institute government production of MDMA (ecstasy), and make it the only legal form of it. MDMA itself is non-lethal (it has a LD50 measured in kg's from memory), but it is bad manufacturing/aditives that makes it lethal, and so by doing this we would cut overdoses out.

3. Index tax brackets to inflation. Bracket creep is something which governments love to make money off, and it's out of order.

4. Compulsory sterilisation of all cats, including those of breeders, and increased wild cat extermination funding. Enforce the sterilisation by putting down every cat that isn't sterilised, and give large rewards to those who report on an unsterlised cat. Same goes for rabbits.

5. Tiered water pricing. Water is priced along tiers. The first tier is cheap, and the volume is determined by the size of your household. Second tier is moderately expensive and the third tier is expensive. You want a garden, you can pay for it. Same for a pool. Australia doesn't have enough water to allow everyone to have a garden and a pool. Industry gets the same pricing, but doesn't get the first tier.

6. Phase out all weather condition subsidies to agriculture over the next decade. If your farm isn't profitable over a ten year period, get out of the industry.

THose are the easy ones. I'll get to the real guts of the economy later.

Laridus Konivaich
06-04-2005, 14:48
1. Apologise to the aboriginal australian's and torres straight islanders. It's completely out of order that our government refuses to do this.
I think that you only need to apologize if you called them bad names :hairpin1:... although I don't know the exact reasons that you would apologize. What are they (the reasons)?

Al Khalifah
06-04-2005, 15:11
Allow referenda to be called on an issue on the basis of a 75% in-favour vote in the frontroom.

Abokasee
06-04-2005, 15:40
1. set up a secret terrorist organistion it call the AOY (ABOKASEE OWNS YOU)
2.Get them to cause problem's in other contries eg: posion water, destroy power plant etc
3.Decrese tax by 2.5%
4.Stop debt problems 100% (im not in debt)
5.increase army training and give improved equipment eg: give them O.K 1.3 and lauhging gas bullets (used for capturing people with knowledge of troop type etc)
6.INVADE AFRICA!!! :dizzy2: ~:eek: (BOTH NORTH AND SOUTH)
7.QUICKLY STOP POVERTY THIER
8.ally with japan and china and then attack the USA
9.attack japan with china and cause serious problems in china using the AOY
10. Conquer china and india and then world!!!!
11. Make a big space program
12. increase reaserch of space seince
13. send robot to mars to make sutibal for humans
14. improve space ship's cargo and speed
15. send ALL the humans on earth to mars before palant explodes!!!!

that should save mankind!!! ~:joker: :juggle2: :laugh4: ~:rolleyes: :wiseguy: :party2: :grin3: :chinese: :smart:
NOTE: I WILL TRY TO MAKE DIPLOMATIC DESCUSSTION WITH ALEINS :alien:

ShadesWolf
06-04-2005, 16:46
SHADEWOLF

Ok what would I do.

1 - Increase the armed services.
More soldiers, planes and especially more ships. Once again Britain would rule the waves.

2- Invade France
I would leave the EU and declare war on France. Gascony would once again belong to the British

3- Execute the Labour government and anybody that voted for BLiar. More power would be returned to the monarchy. And a true two party system would be reintroduced Tory/Libs.

MRS SHADESWOLF

coming later,

If you all thought I was right wing you have seen nothing yet ~:)

AggonyKing
06-04-2005, 17:08
President:

1. 50% tax increase for the rich, and 40% tax decrease for the poor
2. ABolish any type of monopoly
3. Get some beauty sleep. Come on we all need one ~D

zelda12
06-04-2005, 17:24
If I was Prime Minister I would:

1) Abolish the Monarchy, give each royal £20 and tell them to get off Government property.

2) Abolish a flat council tax and have a graded one dependant on income. With Pensioners being excluded.

3) Reform the EU and its constitution without France. Once the member states have been persuaded Declare War on France. Then they'll be forced to use our Anglo Saxon Economic methods that obviously don't work. I mean its not like we have very little Unemployment and France has a huge amount, is it?

4) Take the BNP and give them all life sentences, with no parol hearings and forced labour.

JAG
06-04-2005, 17:41
2) Abolish a flat council tax and have a graded one dependant on income. With Pensioners being excluded.

Council tax is far fairer, why should a pensioner living in a huge house be exempt from taxation for local services? Why should someone having been left a huge house yet on a small sum of money not get taxed on the huge assets they own?

3) Reform the EU and its constitution without France. Once the member states have been persuaded Declare War on France. Then they'll be forced to use our Anglo Saxon Economic methods that obviously don't work. I mean its not like we have very little Unemployment and France has a huge amount, is it?

The French way has a lot going for it, I thought you were for workers rights and decent wages? ~:confused:

zelda12
06-04-2005, 17:46
I do, but workers rights are all very well as long as the workers have a stable economy and jobs. People prefer work to handouts, job security needs to be secured certainly but not at the expense of the job itself. Just one of the many concessions Socialists need to learn if they are to survive as a major political power.In part its the French hater in me, mainly because I've got exams coming up and things are really annoying me. And fair wages should be guaranteed as well but thats something we do anyway. Its the whole ethic of the French system that frankly smacks of the 1950's. Its outdated in todays economic climate. The French like the dinosaurs seem determined not to change.

Oh and as to council tax I was refering to income based. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

mercian billman
06-04-2005, 18:19
Sorry, but that is a relative definition.

Why do I say that? The definition of 'need', 'comfort' and 'healthy' keep changing. It may not be relative in the here and now, but do you see how my air conditioning example holds up as a luxury in the past, but could be considered 'poverty' today, in light of this definition?

I think a computer is a better example than central air, by todays standards someone would be considered poor if they did not have a computer. Yet not having a computer wouldn't be a condition of poverty. Not having a computer would make somebone poor relative to their neighbors but not poor in absolute terms.

Kagemusha
06-04-2005, 18:28
If a would be a Dictator of my country i would introduce "citicenship salary".(forgive me my bad english).
I would abolish wellfare,pensions and child support,housing support and all the other support systems in my country,I would maintain only puplic Schools and puplic healthcare.So heres my idea:I would pay every citicen the same amount what is the minimum unemployment support from cradle to crave.Meaningles if you would either work or not you would get the "citicenship salary".That would allow the normal working people more buyingpower and would increase the manifacturing rates because people would have more money to spend.Secondly it would allmost end the unimployment as we know it,because if you wouldnt have a job you could either study or you could do a parttime work and you could still survive because you would allways have the citicenship salary to back you up.It would also create new jobs because there are many jobs that are not so profitable that novadays an imployer cant even hire person to do that.So jobs for my people and cheap labour to my industry and Byrocrats to profitable work.Wat do you gyues think about that? :bow:

doc_bean
06-04-2005, 19:02
If a would be a Dictator of my country i would introduce "citicenship salary".(forgive me my bad english).
I would abolish wellfare,pensions and child support,housing support and all the other support systems in my country,I would maintain only puplic Schools and puplic healthcare.So heres my idea:I would pay every citicen the same amount what is the minimum unemployment support from cradle to crave.Meaningles if you would either work or not you would get the "citicenship salary".That would allow the normal working people more buyingpower and would increase the manifacturing rates because people would have more money to spend.Secondly it would allmost end the unimployment as we know it,because if you wouldnt have a job you could either study or you could do a parttime work and you could still survive because you would allways have the citicenship salary to back you up.It would also create new jobs because there are many jobs that are not so profitable that novadays an imployer cant even hire person to do that.So jobs for my people and cheap labour to my industry and Byrocrats to profitable work.Wat do you gyues think about that? :bow:

We have a party that proposes this, give everyone (about) 500€ a month.
They also propose to do away with all income tax (and most other taxes) and replace it all with TAV (tax on products and services). I find their ideas interesting, at the very least. I still have to find the time and energy to do some calculations to see if it would be possible, at first glance I would doubt it, but the guy who proposes it seems quite intelligent and is a true believer.

Since it is, essentially, introducing a flat tax AND support rate, ir probably doesn't come as a surprise that he's also very rich ~D

The Blind King of Bohemia
06-04-2005, 19:02
1/ Make Birmingham the new capital of England

2/ All the scum, druggies and thuggish elements bulldozed into the channel

3/ As long as the two above are sorted and i have a steady cash flow and living the high life i'll be easy ~:cool:

Kagemusha
06-04-2005, 19:22
They also propose to do away with all income tax (and most other taxes) and replace it all with TAV (tax on products and services). I find their ideas interesting, at the very least. I still have to find the time and energy to do some calculations to see if it would be possible, at first glance I would doubt it, but the guy who proposes it seems quite intelligent and is a true believer.

Since it is, essentially, introducing a flat tax AND support rate, ir probably doesn't come as a surprise that he's also very rich ~D

Yes this isnt originally my idea and i was suspicious too at first but now i have given it bit of thought and its starting to sound better and better every time i think it. :bow:

Duke Malcolm
06-04-2005, 19:50
1/ Make Birmingham the new capital of England

2/ All the scum, druggies and thuggish elements bulldozed into the channel

you'll spend all eternity bulldozing, then...

BDC
06-04-2005, 22:21
Introducing just taxes on sales is a bad idea. The rich just get super-rich because they spend a small portion of their income on stuff, whilst the poorest get poorer because they spend almost all of their income buying things.

King Henry V
06-04-2005, 22:30
Have Zelda and all the other liberals/socialists"communists/anybody who doesn't agree with me rounded up and "relocated" to the North Pole. The only contact with the outside world will be free copies of The Daily Mail, the Spectator, and the Daily Telegraph for every inmate. There will be twenty year old copies of the Sun and the Times around to remind them of how Thatcherite it once was. Have a nice day ~;)

doc_bean
06-04-2005, 22:31
Introducing just taxes on sales is a bad idea. The rich just get super-rich because they spend a small portion of their income on stuff, whilst the poorest get poorer because they spend almost all of their income buying things.

Food is taxed lower over here so I don't think it's such a problem.

Luxury goods are overpriced, so the state also gets more money from them. This system doesn't distort the market much more than a flat income tax, and less than a progressive income tax.

The real problem is that if all the prices go up because of the extra taces, the buying power of our saved money goes down. That and it won't work if just one country in the EU does it, all countries (in a free trade zone) need to adopt the same policy.

My interest in the system is mostly academic :book:

Kagemusha
06-04-2005, 22:31

What do you mean by poor?If a guy with minimum vaighe gets 500 euros more in a month he gets poorer? :bow:

mercian billman
06-05-2005, 01:56
What do you mean by poor?If a guy with minimum vaighe gets 500 euros more in a month he gets poorer? :bow:

If his purchasing power goes down then he would become poorer. If everybody was giving 1 million dollars it wouldn't necesarily make people richer because firms would just increase their prices.

Crazed Rabbit
06-05-2005, 03:09
1) Take a huge axe and absolutely cleave through the federal government. Slash and destroy every entitlement program, slash politician's budgets, destroy entire departments (like department of housing, labor, PBS, nat'l endowment for the arts, etc.). Maintain only the military and necessary highway infrastructure budgets.

2) Remove all the unconstitution infringements of the second amendment.

3) End judicial activism by removing judicial review.

4) Enforce laws against treason and aiding and abetting the enemy.

5) Return to state and local control of education, and give the government broad power over firing any fifth column professor at a school recieving a penny of gov't money.

6) Don's suggestions for American foreign policy.

7)Kick out the UN and end all funding of it. Issue an act denouncing the UN and whatever it wants.

8) End unconstitutional encroachment into private property and privacy violations like public cameras.

Crazed Rabbit

bmolsson
06-05-2005, 03:40

VAT and customs are actually this kind of tax. The problem is that you have to guard the borders and not allow electronic trade. In reality it's an old marxistic idea based on improvements from a feodal society with subjects under the responsibility of the noble class. Pretty much outdated due to modern technology.....

KafirChobee
06-05-2005, 10:43
1. Legalize all drugs, tax and govern them. Anyone selling illegal drugs (outside the system) make a mandatory life sentence.

2. Legalize any action that doesnot harm another person physically. ie, prostitution.

3. Limit the election process to 6 weeks prior to the event, and allow for only three commercials per candidate (aside from debates) and make it an offense if special interests contribute in any kind. Max out the "free speech" option to $500. $500, ought to be enough "free speech" for anyone - a billion seems a bit much.

:balloon2:

asilv
06-05-2005, 13:23
1. Resign

doc_bean
06-05-2005, 13:33
VAT and customs are actually this kind of tax. The problem is that you have to guard the borders and not allow electronic trade. In reality it's an old marxistic idea based on improvements from a feodal society with subjects under the responsibility of the noble class. Pretty much outdated due to modern technology.....

Like I said, it's mostly an interesting idea, but practically nearly undoable.

KukriKhan
06-05-2005, 14:05
...3. Limit the election process to 6 weeks prior to the event, and allow for only three commercials per candidate (aside from debates) and make it an offense if special interests contribute in any kind. Max out the "free speech" option to $500. $500, ought to be enough "free speech" for anyone - a billion seems a bit much.

:balloon2:

I'm jumping on the KafirChobee train on that suggestion. These 18-24 month election campaigns, and overpriced media bombardments turn even the few well-intentioned politicians into money-grubbers, teaching them bad habits that carry over into their terms. Aren't the Brits doing this? And was it by law, or common agreement of the parties?

IceTorque
06-06-2005, 01:12
1.Legalize Pot.

2.Remove tax on beer.

3.Get drunk and stoned.

bmolsson
06-06-2005, 03:46
This thread really gives a clear view on why the majority of all world leaders are either corrupt or nuts...... ~D

Ianofsmeg16
06-06-2005, 10:21
King Ian of Smeg
If i was King of England i would do this;

1. Declare the isle of Man independant

2. Build up our armed forces

and 3. restart the 100 years war with france

Steppe Merc
06-06-2005, 12:51
This thread really gives a clear view on why the majority of all world leaders are either corrupt or nuts...... ~D
You forgot morally bankrupt. ~;)

English assassin
06-07-2005, 15:25
Council tax is far fairer, why should a pensioner living in a huge house be exempt from taxation for local services? Why should someone having been left a huge house yet on a small sum of money not get taxed on the huge assets they own?

Oh no, JAG and I agree on a tax policy. I got there first, fella, you were flirting with the LDs don't forget...

These 18-24 month election campaigns, and overpriced media bombardments turn even the few well-intentioned politicians into money-grubbers, teaching them bad habits that carry over into their terms. Aren't the Brits doing this? And was it by law, or common agreement of the parties?

We've always had strict spending limits at constituency level (at present roughly £8000 per candidate, plus you get one free mailshot. that includes ALL expenses, not just leaflets but phone bills, office rent, petrol, cornish pasties at lunchtime, etc.) What's more once you announce you are a candidate your election expenses start running, which has the beneficial side effect that candidates can't start campaigning too soon.

IIRC national spending by the parties is still uncapped, although it is more closely audited than before. Its still peanuts compared to America though, eg something like £15 million for the big two and £5 million for the Lib Dems.

The big difference is probably that donations are less because the opportunities for patronage are a lot less under the parliamentary system, though it does now happen under Labour cough powderject cough Formula one cough.