PDA

View Full Version : Are labour up the the old postal votes fraud in Birmingham again

ShadesWolf
06-02-2005, 18:39
Link to article (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4599727.stm)

Im surprised its taken so long to come.

Respect candidate poll complaint
The Respect candidate in Birmingham Sparkbrook has lodged an official complaint over the general election.
Salma Yaqoob came second behind Labour's Roger Godsiff, who polled 13,787 votes to her 10,498.

She says there have been enough complaints about postal votes to warrant an investigation into the outcome of last month's election.

In April a judge criticised the postal vote system and overturned two results from Birmingham's local election.

Judge Mawrey said evidence of "massive, systematic and organised fraud" in the campaign had made a mockery of the election and ruled that not less than 1,500 votes had been cast fraudulently in the city

Electoral Commission chief Sam Younger has said any difficulties at the general election arising from postal votes were likely to have been "logistical and administrative" rather caused by fraud.

In a separate petition, Tammy Nagalingam, who ran as an independent in Greenwich and Woolwich winning 61 votes, has lodged a High Court petition "questioning the election" in that constituency.

Ex-local government minister Nick Raynsford won the seat for Labour with a majority of more than 10,000 votes.

JAG
06-03-2005, 12:17
Every major party has been linked to fraud via the postal system in the last year or so, why do you insist on making it out as a Labour problem?

ShadesWolf
06-03-2005, 14:14
Every major party has been linked to fraud via the postal system in the last year or so, why do you insist on making it out as a Labour problem?

Because you would have expected that lightening would not have struck twice in the same area of Birmingham. If some members linked to labour made a mistake on the council election, then if these people had any brains or honour then they would have been cleaner than clean, not even a smell of a problem.

What I am saying is it has surprised me that a claim like this did no come closer after the election.

English assassin
06-03-2005, 14:34

That could be because only Labour candidates have actually been convicted of doing it in an election court? In Birmingham. On, I quote, "an industrial scale".

That Tory nutter up in Bradford with 14 people living in his house was unacceptable, sure, but its hardly the same thing.

I don't know about the Lib dems but frankly I would put no outrage beyond them so you may have a point there.