PDA

View Full Version : Bird flu: we're all going to die

kiwitt
06-03-2005, 06:09
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/06/02/bird_flu/

"One of the things I routinely tell people is that if it's in the news, don't worry about it. By definition, 'news' means that it hardly ever happens. If a risk is in the news, then it's probably not worth worrying about. When something is no longer reported - automobile deaths, domestic violence - when it's so common that it's not news, then you should start worrying."

Let's hope he is wrong.

I am pleased I am in an essential industry (Security). Probably first on the list for any vaccine.

Papewaio
06-03-2005, 06:22
100 million died from influenza...

In 1920 the world was growing by about 100 million / 5 years.
The world is growing by about 350 million / 5 years now.

So a proportional flu would kill about 350 million people!

Thing is got to factor in modern medical tech. And basics like hygenie, fluids etc.

IrishMike
06-03-2005, 06:24
Oh well I always knew Alfred Hitchcock got it right. The birds will kill us all one day.

kiwitt
06-03-2005, 06:27
Thing is got to factor in modern medical tech. And basics like hygenie, fluids etc.

...plus the 1,000+ fold increase in foreign and domestic travel, since the 1920's

Papewaio
06-03-2005, 06:31
WWI troop movements was pretty huge...

bmolsson
06-03-2005, 09:18
Bird flu...

Pape went to the doctor and said:
- Doc, I feel like a bird...
- Nothing serious, take an aspirin and sleep...
- Ok, said Pape and flew out of the window.....

JAG
06-03-2005, 12:20
Scare stories, in my opinion. Yes if it ever gets out it may well kill tens of thousands, but millions upon millions? I doubt it.

BDC
06-03-2005, 12:39
Scare stories, in my opinion. Yes if it ever gets out it may well kill tens of thousands, but millions upon millions? I doubt it.
Like it did in 1918?

Only now it only takes one person with it to get on an international flight, then the other people on it to fly off on their own, and within a few days it is springing up in every city with an international airport. And that's basically every major city. Could kill millions before anyone even notices its happening if it's infectious and dangerous enough. Even more so if it incubates for a couple of weeks.

Uesugi Kenshin
06-04-2005, 03:33
It would take more than one person to spread it, but the transmission of disease in that way is a big risk. Hopefully it will never happen on that scale, but it may well happen. Oh well, I can be comforted by the marginal security of living in the middle of nowhere.

Samurai Waki
06-04-2005, 04:40
I'm not really afraid... if it happens then so be it. Lifes not that important anyway, if can't expirience it then whats the point? I'm going to keep doing what I've always done, visit foreign countries, and have fun, if I die a horrible, agonizing death from a flu virus, that'd be a great story to tell in the afterlife ~;)

Byzantine Prince
06-04-2005, 05:52
Great attitude Wazikashi. I think that way too, except for the afterlife bit. ~;)

Anyways, I agree with JAG on this(as usual) that it's just panic news. Like SARS, it's overblown out of proportion to make the media people feel important. I think journalists have become almost pathetic is the ways they try to get attention these days. Am I the only one noticing this?

Samurai Waki
06-04-2005, 05:58
[QUOTE=Byzantine Prince]Great attitude Wazikashi. I think that way too, except for the afterlife bit. ~;)QUOTE]

I was being facetious about the afterlife bit... as I have about the same attitude with everything regarding religion and spiritualism... don't know... don't care. ~:cool:

BDC
06-04-2005, 12:49
I'm not really afraid... if it happens then so be it. Lifes not that important anyway, if can't expirience it then whats the point? I'm going to keep doing what I've always done, visit foreign countries, and have fun, if I die a horrible, agonizing death from a flu virus, that'd be a great story to tell in the afterlife ~;)
Much better to tell your grandchildren of the agonising recovery. ~;)

bmolsson
06-04-2005, 13:37
Much better to tell your grandchildren of the agonising recovery. ~;)

You mean show them where the wings where located...... ~D

Al Khalifah
06-04-2005, 13:45
Should help to curb the population growth. It's probably those pesky MJ12 critters up to no good again.

BDC
06-04-2005, 16:21
You mean show them where the wings where located...... ~D
I almost died... But the wings made it all worth the pain.

I too blame MJ12. Would clear out AIDS too. No one with a weakened immune system would survive.