PDA

View Full Version : Another Star Wars mod idea......

Captain-Tiguris
06-04-2005, 22:05
NOTE: Sorry for posting an idea on a Star Wars mod but the one on SCC has sorta died, I now wish to fill its place with another idea even though it may sound similar. Remember this is an idea....

CLONE WARS (tempory name)

This will not have a specific time period as of now as I do not have a period best to fit the design of this mod. Basically, it is roughly around the end of the 2nd film's time period where many planets that are facing a struggle.

A Few Possible Factions (need more)
The Galatic Republic
CIS (Droids)
Hutt Gangsters
The Wookiees
The Gunguns

Possible Faction Units (for the possible factions above)

The Galatic Republic:

Jedi Knights
Clone Troopers
Clone Sharp-shooters
ARC Troopers
Clone Commandos

CIS:

Battle Droids
Super Battle Droids
Buzz Droids
Hailfire Droids

The Hutt Gangsters:

Hired Rodians
Hired Bounty Hunters
Enforcers

The Wookiees:

Wookiee Warrior
Wookiee Bow-casters
Wookiee Bomber

The Gungans:

Gungan Trooper
Gungan Bomber
Gungan Kaadu-rider

How can you help?

If you wish to help, simply reply with what you can help me with here.

But do remember, this is an idea and doesn't have to be turned into a mod.

King Ragnar
06-04-2005, 23:36
Suggestions:
The name should be something related with the clone wars as that is what happens after episode II.

It should be the Jedi Order not council some units:

Jedi Masters (The best, Generals Unit)
Clone Sharpshooter (long range and high accuracy)
Clone trooper (Backbone of the army)
Arc Trooper (Heavy anti-vechile infantry)
Jet Trooper (Has a jet pack probably impossible to do on RTW)

The Droid Federation units:

Super Battle Droids (High level Infantry)
Scout Droid (Long Range Sniper)
Battle Droid (Basic infantry)
Assault Droid (Heavy Weapons anti-vechile)
Destroyer Droid (Very High level Infantry)

Bwian
06-05-2005, 09:05
A suggestion...

First off, before starting a new SW mod, I would look at the issues which torpedoed the last one and provided the problems they were struggling with.

1) RTW is geared primarily to close combat

Missile weapons do not work well out of context. The speed of firing, volley shot etc. do not well simulate the sort of shooting you get from modern projectile weapons, let alone 'hi tech' energy weapons. You need to either find a solution to the hard-coded behaviour, or a story idea that explains what WILL happen.

2) Units fight in fixed formations

Your units will fight in blocks, and will be limited to hand to hand attacks in a limited number of formations. Unit sizes are limited, so you cannot have small 'elite' units

3) You are currently fixed to the stock skeletons

This preculdes anything which isn't human, horse, dog, elephant or camel shaped. Wheeled vehicles are limited to the basic chariot form ( 2 wheeled ) and the absence of animated textures make tracks a nightmare too.

4) No airborne units

There isn't an acceptable way of making a flying unit that doesn't have an impact on ground units.

Now...that is just for openers. I am not saying this CAN'T be done...but I am giving you an idea of where you should focus your thinking to start with. You need to either come up with technical solutions.... or storyline reasons.... why things are the way RTW will make them. For my Robot Mod, I have come up with reasons why energy weapons are not used, and why combat happens in a hand to hand sort of way. I wasn't constrained by a rigid storyline though.... which is another restriction Star Wars places on you.

I would suggest you focus on a smaller, more out of the way kind of location. Choose units which do not have heavy reliance on blasters.... like the Sand People. Maybe you could do an ancient battle for Tatooine ? Banthas could be done easily enough, sand-people fighting hand to hand, with some missile weapons. Jawa's would be OK too. Add in some humans, and anything else you can find a reason for. Jedi's could be done in an 'early' form and so on...

If you want to succeed with a mod, you need to make sure you actually have an idea which won;t be shot down by hard-coded restrictions. It is hard enough to make the actual mod, without having to fight against things that you can't change! :bow:

PBingu
06-05-2005, 10:49
Seeing as it would be an empire building game rather than just one set piece battle, it seems that the time period could cover quite a lot of the films...
Could start with Jedi Order and Republic (Senate) allied, eventually turn on each other as in the films. Trade Federation (droids, geonosians), Wookies, Hutts, and eventually the Rebel Alliance could also feature; mandalorians could even make a surprise appearance. Arcani/Samnite gladiator groups could be used for jedi -or sith- (masters, knights and padawans - 3 levels of infantry), and speederbikes could take the place of cavalry. Trade Federation could get SBD, BD, Droideka, Buzz droids (episode 3 game, could be wardog-esque), Grievous Bodygaurds, Geonosians (light, fast, ranged units) etc. Wookies could have grenadiers as well as those previously mentioned. Hutts could get mercs, bounty hunters, hire other factions' units. Republic could have Clone - then Storm post Marius so to speak - Troopers with various abilities : snipers, rockets, grenadiers, commandos. Large gun turrets could take the place of onagers etc or even elephants.
Just a few ideas to help.

Captain-Tiguris
06-05-2005, 12:23
As I know, the 2nd film period or Clone Wars is the best time to suit a game for land battles - note Geonsis (sp?). Therefore, we can only assume the units have been brought by some sort of ship (perhaps manipulating ships?). To resolve space battles, perhaps they could be the same as the vanilla ship combat where a winner is eventually announced after no seen combat.

As for projectiles, I know of what it is like in RTW and after watching Episode III twice and the others a fair few times I have noticed that the lazers do not particularly move fast, that is why the Jedi can block them. I have watched closely on how the archers work on RTW and I reackon the speed of a volley could represent the lazer-fire of these weapons.

I am not really going to include AT-AT-type units, though mayber elephants could be re-modelled?

-----------------------------------

The name and unit/faction list is not final. Therefore I am open for suggestions or even team members who want to join.

As for Sand People, they do not do much more then harrass units from rocks. And Bantha's are pack creatures and are not fit for war.

As for Buzz Droids, they could work like wardogs, though who would release them?

----------------------------------

Is anyone interested in helping and hopefully bringing this mod to life?

Martinaz
06-05-2005, 16:57
the hutt the jedi the ... to much THE
do you have star wars battle frond ? in that game you see the name of the driots

Captain-Tiguris
06-05-2005, 16:59
Yes i do....

Do you wish to help?

----------------

First page updated....

Keba
06-05-2005, 21:05
Bwain has a point. The other mod died precisely because the game is slighlty limiting for a SF space opera (that and the team was a bit small).

Also, the Clone Wars, as entertaining as they are, might be just a bit limiting in addition to the limitations of the game. Perhaps you should consider placing the game in the period of the Sith wars and make the game more Jedi oriented. Especially with Empire at War coming out in fall, it would give it an original setting.

Oh, and if you continue with the Clone Wars idea, ditch the Gungans, they would be rated as rebels.

Martinaz
06-06-2005, 06:39
yes i will help.
i can do text modding

Martinaz
06-06-2005, 07:08
bwain has a piont yes , but "closed formation did you saY? you can set the formations on hord ...or else i have other tings what can help formation is not the problem.

Bwian
06-06-2005, 09:47
I was not saying it couldn't be done... but that the mod-team MUST focus on coming up with solutions these sorts of problems before they stand a chance. Using solely a Horde is a solution, but it does bring it's own limitations.

Before you get too far into unit planning etc. it is always worth thinking through what the restrictions are and how you plan to overcome them. If I have got you thinking about this, then I have done my bit to help ~:)

King Ragnar
06-06-2005, 22:00
[QUOTE=Keba]
Also, the Clone Wars, as entertaining as they are, might be just a bit limiting in addition to the limitations of the game. Perhaps you should consider placing the game in the period of the Sith wars and make the game more Jedi oriented. Especially with Empire at War coming out in fall, it would give it an original setting.
[QUOTE]

Do u mean setting in the old Republic?, if so tahts a good idea.

Keba
06-07-2005, 11:47
Do u mean setting in the old Republic?, if so tahts a good idea.

I did. Some 5,000 years before the battle of Yavin. The Golden Age of the Sith is relatively ignored and the invasion of Naga Sadow is only basically explained. It would give more artistic liberty in designing things (a lot more Jedi at that time, too).

Captain-Tiguris
06-07-2005, 18:35
For when they enter close combat, it isn't too far fetched to say they may have carried some sort of knife/machete

Dominicus of Byzantium
06-07-2005, 19:57
Hi,
I would like to help as a researcher. I have many starwars books including one which deals specifically with armies.

I could provide you (within the next 2 hours) with a list of ideas for the entire army range

Captain-Tiguris
06-07-2005, 19:58
Ok!!

http://17.freebb.com/index.php?freebb=starwarsmod

Our forums!!!!
Oh and post on our thread over at the Twcenter

Gaius Drakan
06-08-2005, 17:23
go here Star Wars Databank (http://www.starwars.com/databank/) it's very informative

Captain-Tiguris
06-08-2005, 18:02
I already no....

Gaius Drakan
06-08-2005, 18:22
oh ok sorry then

Lord_of_war
06-14-2005, 07:28
Tigurus, i cant see a link to the forums on this thread, do you think you should include one?