PDA

View Full Version : lord of the rings mod

enderwiggin6
06-20-2001, 11:37
i'm new to the shogun community as i just purchased the game. i've really enjoyed the massive scale of the game. i was wondering if its possible to edit the sprites and units, to make a lord of the rings mod for shogun. this engine just screams battle of helm's deep reenactment, and i'd be interested in putting in the work to create it. any info? thx.

Kraellin
06-20-2001, 20:33
enderwiggin,

we've had a number of folks ask similar questions and to date no one has really succeeded all that well. if you check the archives here you'll see a number of threads dealing with this.

CA (creative assembly, the develop folks) has apparently stymied us all so far regarding that type of mod. there was quite a bit of interest a while back in this but no one was able to answer the call and thus there are no mods of this nature around.

i'm sure there would be an immediate resurgence if someone were to crack the code used to do this. several different theme mods were suggested and there was also some who thought such mods would spoil the nature of the game, particularly if we started modifying the stats of the units, but frankly, i would welcome such mods, because despite the possibility of cheats, it adds a new diversity to an already fun game.

so, have a go at it. and if we're able to contribute something to your efforts along the way, why ok.

there isnt currently a lot of technical data about the files posted in the forum. mostly it's just wish list stuff. there are a couple of threads about the .bif files but that's about all i recall at the moment.

good luck :)

K.

BanzaiZAP
06-21-2001, 02:00
Hear hear!
Some people has gone as far as creating artwork, and setting up animations, but noone has been able to get them to show up consistently in the game. Even without changing any statistics or functionality or game-balancing, a simple graphic change, combined with the scenario editor, and they've got the ultimate battle simulator for almost any genre. I'd expect that the dev team already has the tools for it, though they may not have time right now to package it neatly with a nice interface. (Not that lack of interface has slowed down the map-makers much, eh?)

*sigh* But how do you convince the Marketing Department of things like that?

-- B)

smeegol
06-26-2001, 00:20
I've been pretty successful in figuring out how to get different things to work with Shogun. I can EASILY tamper and change all the sounds in the game if I had sounds to do it with. I haven't tried to do anything with grafics and I never really took the time to do so. I'm going to check it out right now and get an understanding for what everyone has been saying.

Anyways if you need any help just say so 'cause i'd be GLAD to help!

BanzaiZAP
06-26-2001, 01:33
HELP! http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif
There, I said it! I'm pretty good at this stuff, and between us, we've found out what's going on, we just can't crack this particular file type.

-- B)

smeegol
06-26-2001, 03:19
Which file type? I have a program that allows me to view TGA files but I can't seem to find the files that show the models for soldiers etc.. What are those files called, and where are they located in the shogun directory?

Thanks

Kraellin
06-26-2001, 13:44
smeegol,

just read thru the rest of the mods topics about the .bif's.

K.