PDA

View Full Version : Today is the National "Day" in Sweden

Lazul
06-06-2005, 09:59
Im not sure what you call this holiday in english. hmm, anyway, today Swedes celibrate Sweden.

And... to no suprise rightwing and leftwing extremists take this day as an opportunity to beat the living crap out of each other. Who is suprised!?
Well, atleast fisfighting... well, its very swedish, what better day to do it!? :dizzy2:

Anyway, the good thing is that instead of celebrating some christian holyday wich nobody knows what its for the Sweden gov. has Finally fixed so we have a day of the 6 of june!

So, well Cheers! ~:cheers: today we drink to Sweden. Couse we are so much better then everyone ells!..... *makes a silly dance*

Well allso, I see it as a Victory for the secular forces in Sweden who has erased a christian holiday and replaced it with a holiday celebrating Sweden itself!

Sweden :iloveyou:

Ldvs
06-06-2005, 10:30
Do you mean you didn't have any national day before? Funny, I thought every country had one by now ~:)

English assassin
06-06-2005, 10:45
We don't have one in the UK, unless you count bonfire night.

Happy Sweden day. The good thing about left wing and right wing extremists beating each other up is whatever happens, you just can't lose can you?

Snowhobbit
06-06-2005, 10:57
We had a national day before, we just didn't get a day of, personally I think it's silly for a number of reasons.
First of we get less free time since this holiday will occur on weekends aswell.
Secondly, why do we need to strengthen our national, um, "pride" when we're already in the EU?

Dîn-Heru
06-06-2005, 11:23
Congratulations to Sweden! :balloon2:

(Now you only need to get the level of celebration up to that of Norway's ~;) )

~:cheers:

Templar Knight
06-06-2005, 11:58
yay Sweden ~:cheers:

JAG
06-06-2005, 12:25
Have a good day!

I have the upmost respect for Sweden, it is one kick ass country! :balloon2: ~:cool:

Steppe Merc
06-06-2005, 13:24
Happy Sweden!

Proletariat
06-06-2005, 14:07
Have fun Sweden!

(Can someone over there punch a moderate for me? For fairness' sake, please.)

Snowhobbit
06-06-2005, 14:39
I'll punch a moderate if you tell me why, I thought you were leaning to right?

KukriKhan
06-06-2005, 16:46
So this place:
http://www.shagtown.com/days/sweden.html

needs updating. June Sixth is a combination of Flag Day and Constitution Day, and is now also a public holiday, with banks, post offices, etc closed, is that correct?

Happy Sweden Day!! :balloon2: :balloon2:

Kagemusha
06-06-2005, 17:46
Have a nice national day,neighbor ~:cheers:

Proletariat
06-06-2005, 17:50
I'll punch a moderate if you tell me why, I thought you were leaning to right?

More accurately, I think I drunkenly meander right at times.

Also, I just think the mods are getting off a bit easy. Unless of course there's another holiday where they get walloped.

:gring:

Duke Malcolm
06-06-2005, 17:55
Wow... a day celebrating Sweden... I think that I would prefer a day celebrating Scotland, or Britain, though.

We used to have a day to celebrate the Empire, called Empire Day, but now it is Commonwealth Day (because it is illegal to openly support the Empire), and very little happens. We don't even get our national saint's day off.

Lazul
06-06-2005, 18:38
well, only our rightwing nutcases Really care about it. And me, since I see I dont know why we celebrate christian holidays anyway hehe.

most people just have a few beers and eat some nice food...wave the flag and then back to normal!

We had a discussion about why we should celebrate a national day in the first place!? Well... why not celebrate Freedom of Speach, Freedom of Press and so on.
So thats what I do, I celebrate Democracy! ~:cheers: