PDA

View Full Version : Arrow sound and graphics

DantepX
04-10-2001, 07:10
Um, I think I heard once before you could manually add the in-flight arrow sounds from the Demo into the official game. Anyone know how to do this?

Also, if my memory serves me correctly - when arrows were fired in the Demo, you could see them sticking out of the ground where they landed. Is there a way to activate this as well

CarlineClair
04-10-2001, 10:44
I wondered about that once... I found arrow sound in Downloads -> Patches -> arrows.zip. I'm not sure if I can tell the difference though. It has a readme file in it that tells you what to do.

As for graphics, I have no idea http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

Tone
04-12-2001, 19:13
Changing the arrow sounds to more like the demo is as follows:

Go into the main Total War file and open ...\sounds\battle right click on table.cfg file pick copy. Then paste it to a new folder, this is your back-up should you want to change it back.

Go into the Demo file (if you don't have it download it to a different directory to avoid the main game) and copy the following files
...\sounds\battle\troops\arrow_loop1
...\sounds\battle\troops\arrow_loop2
...\sounds\battle\troops\arrow_loop3

paste them into the main game folder ...\sounds\battle\troops

Open the main game ...\sounds\battle\table.cfg using 'notepad' or 'wordpad'

This will be a long list of events that trigger the sound effects starting with

;******Orders******

scroll down through this till you find the section:

;******Shooting********

Where you find the follwing:

Event FIRE_ARROW_VOLLEY_L minDist 5 maxDist 250 minPitch .9 maxPitch 1.1
folder sounds\battle\troops
lrg_multi_archers1 vol .75
lrg_multi_archers2 vol .75
lrg_multi_archers3 vol .75

Event FIRE_ARROW_VOLLEY_M minDist 5 maxDist 250 minPitch .9 maxPitch 1.1
med_multi_archers1 vol .75
med_multi_archers2 vol .75
med_multi_archers3 vol .75

Event FIRE_ARROW_VOLLEY_S minDist 5 maxDist 250 minPitch .9 maxPitch 1.1
sml_multi_archers1 vol .75
sml_multi_archers2 vol .75
sml_multi_archers3 vol .75

Highlight this and delete it. Then copy and paste the following in its place:

Event FIRE_ARROW_VOLLEY_L minDist 5 minPitch .8 maxPitch 1.2
arrow_loop2 vol .75
arrow_loop3 vol .75

Event FIRE_ARROW_VOLLEY_M minDist 5 minPitch .8 maxPitch 1.2
arrow_loop1 vol .75
arrow_loop3 vol .75

Event FIRE_ARROW_VOLLEY_S minDist 3 minPitch .8 maxPitch 1.2
sml_multi_archers1 vol .75
sml_multi_archers3 vol .75

MAKE SURE YOU DO USE COPY AND PASTE SO IT IS LAID OUT LIKE THIS.

Then scroll down past a series of:

Event FIRE_GUN_VOLLEY......

until you reach one titled

Event ARROW_IN_FLIGHT....

delete this paragraph and copy and paste the following:

Event ARROW_IN_FLIGHT minDist 5 minPitch .9 maxPitch 1.1
arrow_loop1 vol .75
arrow_loop2 vol .75
arrow_loop3 vol .75

Then save and close this .cfg file. That's it, all done.

This will give you a mixture of the arrows in the air from the Demo and the sounds of the bows firing from the main game.

As for changing the graphics to show arrows in the ground you would have to find a programme that reads the .Bif files, to the best of my knowledge no-one knows how to do this.

[This message has been edited by Tone (edited 04-12-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Tone (edited 04-12-2001).]

Tone
04-12-2001, 19:21
OBTW If your going to do it it is probably best to copy my whole post, open Word or something and paste it in there, then save it on your desktop. Print a copy off to follow when you do it, and use the file on your desktop for the cutting and pasteing.

NOW my Question to anyone. I have changed the music files in STW to get some new Japanese music in there. But what I really want to do now is change when the music starts up. Is it just me, or is there no .cfg file that i can use to do this?

Kurando
04-13-2001, 05:02
Nice work Tone!

DantepX
04-13-2001, 09:57
Thanks man! I'll give it a try when I get home after exams. Bleh.

TosaInu
04-13-2001, 22:14
Hello Tone,

I've made the demo more compact by deleting all music files, movies and big pics (100 mb-> 35 mb zipped). To make it work I edited some txt/cfg files.
So what you want should be possible, I just have to give it a second look as I don't recall which files I changed.

How about locating the music/sound you want to change in the sounds folder, and replacing files with new ones with the same name? It's one easy way to do.

Ja mata
Toda MizuTosaInu
Daimyo Takiyama Shi

Tone
04-14-2001, 05:49
Many thx TosaInu

Kraellin
04-20-2001, 13:30
you can actually put any sound in there you want. you could put Bethoven's(sp) 5th symphony in there if you wanted. or mary had a little lamb.

if you have a decent sound editor you can create your own sound effects for these things or mix, cut, paste and so on to get the effect you want. instead of the japanese battlecries you could put in catcalls or swear at your general. of course, you're going to be the only one that can hear it, but still, it can be fun :)

i always liked the little sounds the orcs made in Warcraft....'dont poke me', whenever you clicked on that unit ;) you could turn musket sounds into a-bombs exploding. i once altered a war sound file by combining fighting plane machine gun fire with divebomber effects, bombs exploding, air raid sirens going off and a rainstorm going on all in the same file with a fairly simple .wav editor...fun stuff :)

K.

smeegol
05-03-2001, 04:01
yea i agree its fun editing the sounds and stuff of shogun. what .wav editor were you using?

Akira Asagi
05-04-2001, 08:58
Hey Tone, Can you email me those demo sounds?
I deleted my demo when I bought the full version http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/frown.gif

If you can that would be great http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

Tone
05-04-2001, 10:00
Akira:

You've got a choice. I can send the sounds from the demo, mostly whistling of arrows with the occasional sound of bows firing. Or a new set that I edited which gives the full effect of bows firing and whistling arrows in flight. Cos they are .wav files they are big, total together 4.5mb (They will not convert to mp3).

Let me know which one and if they are not too big and i'll send them.

QUICK EDIT

Anyone interested, I have finally got round to changing the dodgy CA sample rates to one recognised by most encoders. So the files are now also in .mp3 at only 50k each rather than 500k. Remember if you want them as .mp3 you need an encoder to get them back to .wav as STW will only play the .wav files.

[This message has been edited by Tone (edited 05-18-2001).]

Agathos
05-06-2001, 07:08
Hello Tone

I would also like to have those .wav files with the sounds of bows and whistling arrows.

If you could mail them to me that would really be great http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

evilc
06-01-2001, 05:16
i havent got the demo, and it sounds like the doenloads BIG. someone mail them to me pleaaaaaase mailto: klausio@hot-shot.com

evilc
06-01-2001, 05:40
sorry, dont bother sending me anything (like anyone would have) i have the sounds and i love them,

the arrows go flying really well, but u have to have the camera low and near the archers to hear it well http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

Tone
06-01-2001, 08:55
evilc:

If you want to increase the volume of the arrow flights that's easy.

Simply open the .cfg file in the sounds folder and edit the volume on the lines of the relevant events.

The default is: vol .75 just increase this and save the file.

Oh ye of little faith. I've emailed lots of people sound files. If you want the full modified ones that include bows firing and arrows whistling not either/or like the demo then let me know.

DuckofDeath
06-01-2001, 14:18
Hey Tone, if you could send me those new arrow sounds with bows firing and arrows whistling I'd appreciate it.

Sabretache
06-09-2001, 16:07
Quote Remember if you want them as .mp3 you need an encoder to get them back to .wav as STW will only play the .wav files.[/QUOTE]
actually, you just need winamp http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

and if you would mail them to me i would appreciate it. per1sh@home.com

Dionysus
07-17-2001, 21:06
Pleeeease Email them to me too! http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

epdiii@hotmail.com (yes that is correct)