PDA

View Full Version : One in five children bullied by text

Templar Knight
06-07-2005, 11:04
Children are facing threats and intimidation by text messages on their mobile phones, according to a new report.

Research shows one in five children has been targeted by bullies who use nasty text messages and photos.

The research showed 14 per cent had been bullied or threatened via text message, almost three times more than those who have been bullied over the internet and nearly four times as many as those bullied by e-mail.

One in ten has felt threatened or embarrassed by bullying carried out with a camera phone.

Some 17 per cent of those affected in this way said they believe the images were also sent to other people.

More than one in ten young people admit they have sent a bullying or threatening text message to someone else.

More than a quarter of those bullied by mobile phone did not know who was doing it.

The charity NCH is helping to launch www.stoptextbully.com offering advice and support for young people affected by bullying.

NCH's new technology adviser John Carr said: "For a child or teenager being bullied by mobile phone, it can be terrifying and feel like there is no escape.

"This new research reveals the massive scale of mobile bullying and shows how camera phones are being used by bullies to frighten and intimidate their victims."

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/050607/356/fkkcs.html

doc_bean
06-07-2005, 11:10
Ban cell phones in high schools, any cell phone used during school hours should be confiscated.

I absolutely hate those camera phones. I hate cameras in general, because 'funny' pictures tend to be out of context and end up being used to ridicule people who were just having a good time.

We all act like idiots, but when someone gets caught on camera it's suddenly worth sharing with the rest of the world ? Pure Hypocrisy.

Fragony
06-07-2005, 11:21
I absolutely hate those camera phones. I hate cameras in general, because 'funny' pictures tend to be out of context and end up being used to ridicule people who were just having a good time.

We all act like idiots, but when someone gets caught on camera it's suddenly worth sharing with the rest of the world ? Pure Hypocrisy.

OK there has to be a story behind that, cough it up.

But yeah, ban cell phones on schools.

Monk
06-07-2005, 12:02
NCH's new technology adviser John Carr said: "For a child or teenager being bullied by mobile phone, it can be terrifying and feel like there is no escape."

Correct me if i'm wrong... but isn't that what an off switch is for?

doc_bean
06-07-2005, 12:05
I admit, I am the Star Wars kid.

No really, I had some embarrassing moments caught on camera, but nothing I can't live with and laugh with.

I just like my privacy, and I like the fact that some things you do can be forgotten. I don't want pictures reminding me of every stupid thing I have ever done while drunk.

Templar Knight
06-07-2005, 12:08
Wierd that people would waste money just to send someone a cowardly threat.

I would just block them or switch it off, I'm sure they would soon get bored ~:)

Steppe Merc
06-07-2005, 13:17
Ban cell phones in high schools, any cell phone used during school hours should be confiscated.
They try and do that in my school. I disagree strongly with it, cause if someone needs to talk to someone, they have to. It doesn't disprupt class, and it's all good. School needs to loosen up, not have more rules.

Al Khalifah
06-07-2005, 14:31
Camera phones are a waste of time and money. It doesn't surprise me at all that bullies attending schools have found a use for them, because they too are a waste of a school's time and money.

Redleg
06-07-2005, 14:40
The days before cell phones - if my parents needed to get ahold of me they called the school.

There is absolutely no need for a teenager to have a cell phone on while in the class room. Its a disruption of the teacher's ability to provide instruction to the class.

One must pay attention in the classroom if one is to learn. Having toys such as cell phones in the classroom is a waste of not only the student's time, but the rest of the class also.

Productivity
06-07-2005, 15:35
They try and do that in my school. I disagree strongly with it, cause if someone needs to talk to someone, they have to. It doesn't disprupt class, and it's all good. School needs to loosen up, not have more rules.

What do you mean it doesn't disrupt? Short of a running gun battle, it's one of the more disruptive things you can have going.

BDC
06-07-2005, 16:28
You shouldn't have phones out in class. And kids are horrible to each other, so probably ban them from being used in school, at least by the younger children. And anyone taking horrible pictures using them should really get in trouble.

Crazed Rabbit
06-07-2005, 17:02
I guess those poor kids are so paralized with fear they can't reach for the off switch.

While these bullies are jerks, the kids who are gettig bullied seem to have no spine.

I don't know about England, but here in the US public elementary schools all over the country are treating kids more and more like they have super-delicate self esteem. They've banned dodgeball (because people can lose!), turned tug of war into 'tug of peace', and done everything possible to sugar coat life and never, ever, to force a kid to confront a problem or deal with setbacks. What do you expect when they get a stupid text message that says they're dumb? Their house of cards charade breaks down and they act like its the end of the world, unlike someone who would just laugh it off.

Ad I agree that cellphones should be banned. They are at my school, but the enforcement varies by the teacher.

Crazed Rabbit

Productivity
06-07-2005, 17:11
I guess those poor kids are so paralized with fear they can't reach for the off switch.

It wont help them though, the text will still be there, in all possiblity from someone who they can't identify. At least with a 'traditional' bully you know what you're up against and can deal with it.

BDC
06-07-2005, 17:16
It wont help them though, the text will still be there, in all possiblity from someone who they can't identify. At least with a 'traditional' bully you know what you're up against and can deal with it.
You can do what some girl at my school did and just get the police involved. Most bullies tend to stop then. Even if they don't know who it is (and generally they do anyway even if they aren't sure) then having some police person come to school and look imposing should work.

doc_bean
06-07-2005, 18:03
Just announce loudly and to a lot of people is sending you retarded text messages, and it's quite funny how they're wasting their own money doing this. Make sure to show it too a lot of people too, so they can all have a laugh at the senders' expense.

Make comments about how such anonymous threats are probably made by a girl you dumped, since no real MAN would ever be such a wuss. Imply homosexuality if a guy does do this.

Mongoose
06-07-2005, 18:09
Wow, people are so touchy these days. just put the damn phone in your pocket and let them waste their time and money.

Steppe Merc
06-08-2005, 00:41
What do you mean it doesn't disrupt? Short of a running gun battle, it's one of the more disruptive things you can have going.
Well if it's on vibrate, and they don't actually talk on the phone in class.

But anyone that gets upset over this needs help. I'm not trying to be mean, since when I was younger, I certaintly would have been hurt over this. But I learned (evauntaully) how to deal with bullies (and people in general), and these kids need to learn as well.

Productivity
06-08-2005, 02:44
Well if it's on vibrate, and they don't actually talk on the phone in class.

First you say if someone needs to talk, they have to and it doesn't disrupt. Now you say it doesn't disrupt if they don't talk. Pick your version fo events...

And how many people actually turn their phones to silent, or respect others and not talk in class?

bmolsson
06-08-2005, 02:59
It's not only kids that get bullied. All media where you don't have to show your identity will be used to bully people around.
I get at least one death threat a month on my mobile......

Kaiser of Arabia
06-08-2005, 03:10
I agree 150%.
My school got so paranoid, it is now illegal for anyone, including teachers and staff, to take pictures of our local rent-a-cops. Yes, our school has rent-a-cops. We've had some hilarious times with them.
[story time]
Well we got this one, his name's randy. and he's a freak. Really. So once, I was on the late bus home (yes alot of my stories happen on the late bus), and his car was driving next to our bus, so a few people noticed it and someone threw an eraser that was previously from a pencil (so it was tiny) at his car. It bounced off the roof. So, what he does, is he pulls up literally about an inch from the bus, and pulls the bus over! He gets on it and starts screaming! I was surprised he didn't burst an artery. He was threatening to have us all arrested and a bunch of other crap, finally the kid who did it fessed up. Now, supposedly, the next day our assistant principals, who are for the most part good people, supposedly almost fired him over it! Funny stuff.
Another time someone took a picture of randy, and photoshopped his head onto I beleive Jenna Jameson, I'm not sure though, and posted pics of it all over the school.
[/story time]

Redleg
06-08-2005, 03:19
It's not only kids that get bullied. All media where you don't have to show your identity will be used to bully people around.
I get at least one death threat a month on my mobile......

Hell I would think your phone was unlisted - but I guess its also your business phone though?

Its to bad that some people resort to that type of nonsense.

bmolsson
06-08-2005, 03:41
Hell I would think your phone was unlisted - but I guess its also your business phone though?

Its to bad that some people resort to that type of nonsense.

You are right, it's my business phone.
My unlisted phone don't have any problems... ~;)

It's really sad. Even worse that it's mostly cops.......

Productivity
06-08-2005, 03:49
What exactly do you do bmolsson that you attract such interest?

bmolsson
06-08-2005, 04:00
What exactly do you do bmolsson that you attract such interest?

I have an on-going civil suit against the National Police Chief and the National General Attorney. I demand a public apology and about USD 20 million for charity. They in turn sue back for USD 70 million. I have won everything so far. The real humiliation for them is that I am representing my self in court. According to the law only licensed lawyers can appear in court and only locals can be licensed. Due to the fact that the constitution grants every resident to be able to represent themselves, I appear and gives them a hard time. I argue the same way in the Indonesian court as I do here....... ~;)

Productivity
06-08-2005, 04:05
So you're just using us a glorified legal training ~;).

In all seriousness though, good luck with it.

Steppe Merc
06-08-2005, 13:04
First you say if someone needs to talk, they have to and it doesn't disrupt. Now you say it doesn't disrupt if they don't talk. Pick your version fo events...
Well if someone is talking on the phone in the bathroom or something, or in lunch. If they wanna talk in class, that's probably not a good thing, but I really couldn't care less about most of my teachers and if they have a hard time.

And how many people actually turn their phones to silent, or respect others and not talk in class?
Good point. Though cell phones disapearing doesn't magically make people more respectful.

edit: bmolsson, good luck with your suit. ~D

Kaiser, you got rent a cops? We've got real ones... my friends know them all by name, cause the ones in school are mainly the ones that have busted them.

mercian billman
06-08-2005, 17:26
Students should be banned from having cell phones in school (Yeah it's awesome being a graduate ~D )

Seriously though cell phones are a distraction because there's always that 10% that do not turn theirs off or set them on silent. Teachers and administrators have enough problems to deal with these days and allowing cell phones only invites more problems. Until I see a study that states cell phones are beneficial in schools I will be opposed to them.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for respecting students, but these days kids think respect means bending over and taking it...

Redleg
06-08-2005, 18:31
Well if someone is talking on the phone in the bathroom or something, or in lunch. If they wanna talk in class, that's probably not a good thing, but I really couldn't care less about most of my teachers and if they have a hard time.

So is it that you don't care to particpate in the learning process? And that is sacrism

Now seriousily - have you ever tried to instruct anyone in a classroom environment. Its a little harder then you image especially in a room full of people who will not particpate nor give the students around them the respect to provide them an enviroment in which the teacher can instruct the lesson of the day. Respect is a two way street - when you as an individual show disrespect or uncaring attitude toward the instructor - they have a tendency to return the favor and vice versa. Cell Phones in the classroom are nothing more then a distraction. There is absolutely no reason for a teenager in the classroom to have a cell phone. If its about emeragancy contact by your parent - then they can always use the age old method of calling the school directly, and pulling you out of the classroom.

And frankly you should care about your teachers having a hard time instructing you - because it distracts from your time. That is about the most acidine and idiotic statement I have seen - the problem is that many teenagers feel that way. If you don't care about your time - quit school and become a day labor and don't waste your time any longer with education.

Good point. Though cell phones disapearing doesn't magically make people more respectful.

No it won't - but once again name one good reason for a student to have a cell phone on in the classroom.

Kaiser, you got rent a cops? We've got real ones... my friends know them all by name, cause the ones in school are mainly the ones that have busted them.

When you know the police officer by name because they have arrested you or stopped you from behaving badly - then the problem is on the student and the parents of that student - not the police.

Steppe Merc
06-08-2005, 21:47
Now seriousily - have you ever tried to instruct anyone in a classroom environment. Its a little harder then you image especially in a room full of people who will not particpate nor give the students around them the respect to provide them an enviroment in which the teacher can instruct the lesson of the day. Respect is a two way street - when you as an individual show disrespect or uncaring attitude toward the instructor - they have a tendency to return the favor and vice versa. Cell Phones in the classroom are nothing more then a distraction. There is absolutely no reason for a teenager in the classroom to have a cell phone. If its about emeragancy contact by your parent - then they can always use the age old method of calling the school directly, and pulling you out of the classroom.
Yeah, I guess you're right. Just feeling the pre exam stress right now...
And recently I had to give a lesson for a class period as a test grade in English. And it wasn't fun... so I can understand why teachers are grumpy sometimes.

And frankly you should care about your teachers having a hard time instructing you - because it distracts from your time. That is about the most acidine and idiotic statement I have seen - the problem is that many teenagers feel that way. If you don't care about your time - quit school and become a day labor and don't waste your time any longer with education.
I apologize, I was acting a bit stupid by saying that comment. I do like some of my teachers, and I never disrupt any of the classes that I'm in. But I really have difficulty getting worked up over whether some of my teachers classes get distrupted, at least in the classes that I don't understand at all, despite my hardest effort.
And my mom, and two of my aunts are or were teachers. So I do know that not all of them are evil, and that it is hard work. But I don't think that just having a cell phone deserves getting more points (you accumlate points, then when you get to 15, you get a 3 day Saterday detention), than a cut class gets. But that's probably just my school, cause my school is ... not normal, and not in a positive way.

And I can see not wanting to have phones ringing in class, and I guess those kids could be punished. But people also get in trouble for talking during lunch or in between classes or in the bathroom. How is that disruptive?

When you know the police officer by name because they have arrested you or stopped you from behaving badly - then the problem is on the student and the parents of that student - not the police.
It wasn't me. And I didn't mean to say it was the polices fault. It just is.
I don't know any of the cops myself, and never really talk to them. I must admit, I'm scared of people twice my weight and that are bald, and have weapons. ~;)

mercian billman
06-08-2005, 22:17
And I can see not wanting to have phones ringing in class, and I guess those kids could be punished. But people also get in trouble for talking during lunch or in between classes or in the bathroom. How is that disruptive?

Wow you're school isn't normal. Has your school had a bomb threat or something? My old middle school had 18 (can't remember if it was 8 or 18) bomb threats and they have pretty similar restrictions.

Big King Sanctaphrax
06-08-2005, 22:54
Wow you're school isn't normal. Has your school had a bomb threat or something? My old middle school had 18 (can't remember if it was 8 or 18) bomb threats and they have pretty similar restrictions.

EIGHTEEN BOMB THREATS?! I can't comprehend that...even if it's just eight, it's still crazy.

:help:

Steppe Merc
06-08-2005, 23:20
Mercian, not that I recall. But yeah, you get 10 points for having a cell phone or a dress code violation, and only like 5 if you cut a class.
There has been a couple of fires, but they already had the crazy rules in place already.
I don't really know why my school is like this, other than the fact that the town I live in is very... um upper class and quite uptight.

clayton ballentine
06-08-2005, 23:26
EIGHTEEN BOMB THREATS?! I can't comprehend that...even if it's just eight, it's still crazy.

1 year we had 60 bomb threats

mercian billman
06-08-2005, 23:43

Most bomb threats are not serious, I doubt that even 1 bomb threat was serious but it doesn't matter. The school must respond to each as if they are serious threats and the perpetrators are dealt with pretty harshly.

Mercian, not that I recall. But yeah, you get 10 points for having a cell phone or a dress code violation, and only like 5 if you cut a class.
There has been a couple of fires, but they already had the crazy rules in place already.
I don't really know why my school is like this, other than the fact that the town I live in is very... um upper class and quite uptight.

It sounds like your problem is with the school board, you should petition them to change things. Don't take it out on your teachers and administration they probably hate the restrictions as much as you do. Seriously monitoring halls for people that talk and having to monitor the lunch room means a few teachers are doing that instead of working or taking a break during their prep hour.

Steppe Merc
06-08-2005, 23:52
Yeah. And most of my teachers don't really care. If a cell phone goes off, everyone laughs, the teacher just says turn it off, the kid does, and then we go back to learning. If anything, when teacher enforces the rules (confiscates the phone, calls the office, writes down a point slip), then class is really disrupted. Of course, I can see when the call is disprupting, but in my experience, it really isn't that much.

And many teachers are forced to monitor lunches, mainly because due to the huge sizes of the classes of the freshman, they had to split lunches in half, and doulbed the amount of lunch monitors that are teachers.

Just to let everyone know, I'm not an evil kid that torments my teachers. Most I can deal with, but even the ones I hate I never talk during their classes, or anything. :book:

Kaiser of Arabia
06-09-2005, 00:10
Our school's pretty bad for bomb threats, we've had a bunch this year (maybe 10) and a bunch of other things randomly interjected in there (someone stole all the tables from the cafeteria the other day and dumped them right outside the school). The thing is we're not strict on the dress code, but if your caught with anything remotely against the rules (i.e. cigs, alcohol) you're ISS or Expelled. We get alot of fights too, some real bad ones. I almost got into one the other day, but unfortunatly, it never started. Gah.

doc_bean
06-09-2005, 08:07
If the one who calls in the bomb threat is caught here, they have to pay for everything (police, firemen, whatever), which can really run up. And they actually look for the people who call if it is fake.

We don't get bomb threats at our schools.

Steppe, if someone cuts a class, they don't bother the teacher, I think most prefer students cutting a class than talking during one.

Steppe Merc
06-09-2005, 13:00
Bean, how does a girl with a too short shirt disrupt class? Sure all the guys are paying attention to her, but it's not really a distruption...

And about the bomb threats, I could understand all of the crazy stuff if there was a threat, or if our school was violent. But there isn't a more straight laced, short haired rich person school around. Of course all of the cool kids try and act "straight", which is a joke, since their "street" clothes cost more than my entire bunch of tee shirts and jeans...

doc_bean
06-09-2005, 13:16
Bean, how does a girl with a too short shirt disrupt class? Sure all the guys are paying attention to her, but it's not really a distruption...

It doesn't make for a good learning environment, plus it will make the guys act stupid because they want to impress the girls.

You wear appropriate clothing for your job, you wear appropriate clothing to school. Is it really that difficult ?

Steppe Merc
06-09-2005, 13:29
Yes. ~D

And guys will try and impress girls if their wearing a burka. We're guys, that's what we do.
And a job I'm getting paid. In school, I don't, so I don't see why I ought to dress proffesional. Frankly, I don't get why I have to dress up for my job, but at least they don't make me have short hair.

doc_bean
06-09-2005, 17:39
I think we should just drop school as a right and start making it a privilege again.

After all, all those kids seem to think they have something better to do with their time don't they. I say, test them at 6, let the best ones into elementary school. Test 'em at 12, let the best ones in to high school, test them 18, give the best the opportunity of taking out a cheap college loan.

Of course, this is just for public education, you could always be home schooled, or go to a fancy private school, if your parents can afford it.

Man, think about how happy it will make all those kids who finally don't have to go to school anymore. They could do something constructive, like seeking people who know the answer to the great questions of life, like 'Do you want fries with that ?' or 'Regular or Super-sized ?'

And think all the money that could be saved by the government. Tax cuts for all ! That will certainly make the parents happy too !

Wow this is such a great idea, I can't believe no one has thought of it before !

~:handball:

Seriously though, affordable education for all has been one of the greatest accomplishments of our time. I know it isn't always interesting, but would you rather be working ?

Steppe Merc
06-09-2005, 20:33
When did I say that I wanted to drop out?
I was just saying that many rules are illogical, and cost more time to implement and enforce than the enfractions distract.

doc_bean
06-09-2005, 22:10
That's to prepare you in case you ever get to deal with 'management' ~D

Kanamori
06-10-2005, 02:16
My old middle school had 18 (can't remember if it was 8 or 18) bomb threats and they have pretty similar restrictions.
:laugh4: Hah, throughout the four years at my high school, we had one, unintentional, bomb threat. The kid stuffed a bottle full wrappers and crap and taped it under a table, and we got sent outside for four hours to make sure it wasn't a bomb :dizzy2: If kids at my old highschool horsed around and got D's or crap grades, they were sent to MASH (Middleton Alternative High School, yeah it should be MAHS, but that doesn't sound cool) so all the good kids could learn ~D yeah, Madison-area is preppy place where education is a religion.

bmolsson
06-10-2005, 03:52

We had a real hottie with a short skirt and she said she looooved guys' with high grades. The boys in our class had the highest grades in history of the school. Talk about pussy power....... ~:cool:

mercian billman
06-10-2005, 21:52
:laugh4: Hah, throughout the four years at my high school, we had one, unintentional, bomb threat. The kid stuffed a bottle full wrappers and crap and taped it under a table, and we got sent outside for four hours to make sure it wasn't a bomb :dizzy2: If kids at my old highschool horsed around and got D's or crap grades, they were sent to MASH (Middleton Alternative High School, yeah it should be MAHS, but that doesn't sound cool) so all the good kids could learn ~D yeah, Madison-area is preppy place where education is a religion.

We also had a bomb threat at the high school and another at one of our Elementry schools :dizzy2: I guess that puts the school district total at 10 or 20.

I always heard that Madison was pretty cool but have never been there myself, I'm more of a Twin Cities guy.

ah_dut
06-11-2005, 13:55
The days before cell phones - if my parents needed to get ahold of me they called the school.

There is absolutely no need for a teenager to have a cell phone on while in the class room. Its a disruption of the teacher's ability to provide instruction to the class.

One must pay attention in the classroom if one is to learn. Having toys such as cell phones in the classroom is a waste of not only the student's time, but the rest of the class also.
Damn, I agree with a conservative...change your views now ~D

Our school banned cellphones. People still bring them in but there's hell to pay if you get caught. a nice way of doing things if you ask me ~;)