PDA

View Full Version : City plans

The Stranger
06-09-2005, 16:06
are we keeping RTW's city plans or are we crating new ones. cuz i think the original plans are to plain. we need special plans. i mean the roman plans weren't used anymore for quite a time (maybe only in BE). but it is a lot of work and i do'n't know if sumone wants to or can do it

ScionTheWorm
06-09-2005, 16:23
are we keeping RTW's city plans or are we crating new ones. cuz i think the original plans are to plain. we need special plans. i mean the roman plans weren't used anymore for quite a time (maybe only in BE). but it is a lot of work and i do'n't know if sumone wants to or can do it

I was actually thinking this earlier today. The optimal thing would be if we could reqruit someone to mainly concentrate on this; making new models and textures for cities, new plans etc. (don't know that cityplans could be changed, is this done through textfiles or modelling?)

It should however not be prioritized over the other things we're currently doing (more important with tech trees, faction symbols and units for instance), therefore I don't think current teammembers should dwell on this. But it would be great if someone did it.

Rodion Romanovich
06-09-2005, 16:50
My opinion is the same as yours, ScionTheWorm. It's a very much needed thing, but as long as we have units, campaign map and faction symbols to work on it has a lower priority. But I definitely think we should get it done in the end. At least we'll not leave them completely untouched, because of the way we convert the vanilla R:TW factions to mod factions, because otherwise for example vikings will have very advanced-looking greek cities... If we're short of time we'll at least try to give vanilla barbarian style cities to most factions, and more advanced layouts to Byzantines and muslims and some others. Either way we'll have to create new models and skins for buildings because we use other buildings than vanilla R:TW so that part will at least be taken care of.

The ideal thing would be if we could make every city unique like was discussed in some thread in the mod/general forum where someone had recreated the seven hills of Rome. If we could do that, we could try to create a basic standard layout for most cities but create a custom layout for all more important cities such as Paris, Rome, Constantinople etc. Do you, Emperor Umeu 1, know how to edit so that cities get a custom layout? If so, I think it'd be great if you took care of that. The choices of which buildings to include is almost complete I think so the project could be started as soon as I've finished the basic campaign map files. I also have some great photos of buildings that could be used as a base when modelling the buildings for the battle map.

The Stranger
06-09-2005, 19:52
I was actually thinking this earlier today. The optimal thing would be if we could reqruit someone to mainly concentrate on this; making new models and textures for cities, new plans etc. (don't know that cityplans could be changed, is this done through textfiles or modelling?)

It should however not be prioritized over the other things we're currently doing (more important with tech trees, faction symbols and units for instance), therefore I don't think current teammembers should dwell on this. But it would be great if someone did it.

maybe we could ask the Signifer One. i know he's working on a city plan project

The Stranger
06-09-2005, 19:55
and legio, i wished i could. it's very hard, it takes a master to do it right. but when i have vacation (in a week) i'll start working on it. also i can make the layout, but skinning is no-go territory for me.

Rodion Romanovich
06-09-2005, 20:14
and legio, i wished i could. it's very hard, it takes a master to do it right. but when i have vacation (in a week) i'll start working on it. also i can make the layout, but skinning is no-go territory for me.

That sounds wonderful! Because in a week I'll hopefully have a first map ready, at least the files will be ready, that is. You never know about small mistakes that could lead to CTDs etc... Anyway I've gotten very far with the map_ground_types file - almost everything except some islands as well as everything from eastern France to the steppes and Balkans and Italy is complete. It might sound like I've got most of it left, but actually the parts I've already completed accounts for most of the landmass.

Rodion Romanovich
06-09-2005, 20:16
maybe we could ask the Signifer One. i know he's working on a city plan project

Who is the Signifier One? Anyway, if you can get another mod team member who knows that stuff to join us that would be great because I believe it's a lot of work with those cities... Almost as much as all the unit editing if you include fixing buildings and everything, I believe.

skeletor
06-09-2005, 23:28
He's the one that made the animationpack, and this:
http://img221.echo.cx/img221/4691/ss15jp.jpg

I hope it isn't too mutch hassle..

-Skel-

ScionTheWorm
06-09-2005, 23:42
damn what's that? looks like a nice program! wouldn't live in that city though

Wikingus
06-10-2005, 09:40
Yeah those walls wouldn't really be of much use in the event of a siege... ~D

The Stranger
06-10-2005, 16:12
Who is the Signifier One? Anyway, if you can get another mod team member who knows that stuff to join us that would be great because I believe it's a lot of work with those cities... Almost as much as all the unit editing if you include fixing buildings and everything, I believe.

a pretty known member at TWC. he has made a innovative upperhand phalanx fighting style. i will give it a try.

The Stranger
06-10-2005, 16:14
damn what's that? looks like a nice program! wouldn't live in that city though

that's RTW's patch 1.2v CITY EDITOR. though this way you don't make a city for campaign map i thought

Wikingus
06-10-2005, 16:46
Where can I get this editor? :bow:

The Stranger
06-11-2005, 01:13
Where can I get this editor? :bow:

download patch 1.2v and type enable-editor at the shortcut. i can't really explain this in english. ask sumone else for more OK

skeletor
06-17-2005, 11:59
Just found this tutorial on city plans.

I wil look at ir in the weekend, and maybe start messing around if it's not too complicaterd.
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?p=814953#post814953

:book:

-Skel-

Rodion Romanovich
06-17-2005, 13:07
Ok. I think it would be best to start with the general city models before fixing specific cities (to have a good base to work from). For the general city models I suggest (if it's at all possible):

1. village - large spaces between buildings so attackers aren't much affected by the buildings being there, town center pretty much unguarded.
2. town - slightly smaller spaces between buildings, town center pretty much unguarded but more buildings and more narrow roads on the way to it makes it harder to reach it.
3. large town - same as town but more buildings. Walls around outside Extra walls around a citadel in the middle. The town center should be inside this citadel, and the citadel should be on top of a small hill in the middle.
4. city - same as large town but more buildings and the main roads inside the city are cobbled roads instead of mud roads.
5. large city - citadel in middle, outer wall and an inner wall about halfway between the outer wall and the citadel. Larger citadel than for city. Larger main roads leading straight to the citadel in the middle.
6. huge city - same as for large city, but with almost all roads cobbled, more buildings inside and some buildings outside because all won't fit inside the walls (but those outside shouldn't be any of those buildings the player can construct on the campaign map, but rather huts and longhouses etc.).

Outside the actual cities, there should be plenty of farms and cultivated fields.

I think we should mod away the arrows from invisible archers that comes for all towers in vanilla R:TW.

The Stranger
06-17-2005, 15:27
eh i thought i was city modeler but if Skeletor wants to do it's fine, we could also do it TOGETHER.

Rodion Romanovich
06-17-2005, 15:41
eh i thought i was city modeler but if Skeletor wants to do it's fine, we could also do it TOGETHER.

Yes, you were and still are. I believe skeletor meant he also wanted to help and that you would do it together. In any case skeletor is needed for the modelling of the new dark age style buildings for the battlemap ~:cool:

skeletor
06-17-2005, 18:43
Ohoh :duel:

Hehe, i got no time anyway, i just wanted to post the tutorial.. But you have probably read it. I have no time doing anything other then units for a long time anyway, but i will give it a peak, to see how it works..

Your the city planner ~:cheers:

-Skel-

The Stranger
06-18-2005, 12:02
i have plenty of time, i have VACATION YIHAA

ScionTheWorm
06-18-2005, 16:29
Yes, you need to skin units skeletor :knight:

Nice to have a person doing this city modelling, I really begin to feel this mod is going to be awesome.

skeletor
06-21-2005, 10:07
Hey Emeror Umeu 1, i stumbled across this, a wall editor postede 4 days ago.
I ton't know if you have allready seen it, but heres the linkhttps://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=49292

Have fun.... -Skel-

Productivity
06-21-2005, 10:21
If anyone is interested, I can help on the city layout plans. While I don't actually know how to create cities (I can probably try and learn it), I am currently in the process of completing a degree in urban geography, so I've got a pretty solid base in how cities developed if people are intersted in help that way.

I'm currently bogged down in exams and assessments, but I should be free to help soon.

Rodion Romanovich
06-21-2005, 11:25
If anyone is interested, I can help on the city layout plans. While I don't actually know how to create cities (I can probably try and learn it), I am currently in the process of completing a degree in urban geography, so I've got a pretty solid base in how cities developed if people are intersted in help that way.

I'm currently bogged down in exams and assessments, but I should be free to help soon.

I guess the city editing requires so much effort that more people helping with it can only be a good thing!

ScionTheWorm
06-21-2005, 12:28
yes a well done city overhaul will do a lot for the mod. wouldn't hurt with some historical correctness too :duel:

The Stranger
06-21-2005, 13:11
i can use some help, add me to your msn if you have one. umeu_1@hotmail.com (also for the rest of modmembers. i havent started yet but from thursday i'm free to go where i want so i have time (VACATION)

Productivity
07-21-2005, 07:14
Sorry to say this, but with work and uni now, I will have very little free time available in the future for anything, so I probably can't help much at all, at least in the practical area. If people want references, or want to ask questions about development of urban settlements then I can probably do that, but as far as actually editing goes I'm probably out.

The Stranger
07-22-2005, 13:41
i have a huge problem. my Editor doesnt work,

skeletor
07-22-2005, 14:32
What editor did you use?

I have tried Signifier one's with a blak background, and green grid, where you place white walls. I think you have to manually copy/paste the parameters for the positioning in the files. My game crashed to, but i tried to place about 6 gates or so, so i guess that coused the problems.

You can actually do the calculation for the placement manualy, but thats a real pain if your not math genious.

-Skel-

The Stranger
07-23-2005, 12:07
no i meant the ingame editor. i use that one to practise but 2 days ago it refused to work. i still dont have a other editor.