PDA

View Full Version : Defend options - effects

Shogun_01
06-14-2005, 16:32
im not new to rtw, but whenever i play i never use defend with my troops. What does defend do when activated? does it give stat bonuses defence, and whats the downside of using it?

NihilisticCow
06-14-2005, 16:43
If you mean Guard mode, when it is on, the unit won't move to engage an enemy, but just stand ground attacking anything that comes into range. This is good for keeping your units in formation, but for attacking, it can result in taking higher casualties in say for example phalanx fighting with Sacred Band Infantry versus Silver Shield Pikemen, where pikemen have longer pikes than the SB infantry, so if the SB infantry is told to stand ground and not ordered to attack, a pikemen unit will easily win as the SB infantry will not even be able to reach the pikemen, but if guard mode is off, then the SB infantry will win (the same effect can be achieved with guard mode on and an order to attack).

Shogun_01
06-14-2005, 16:51
thats good to know. what about normal infantry? does guard mode give a defence against arrows? will the unit be at a disadvantage at hand-to-hand comat, or will there be an increase in fighting power as lets say for the roman hastatus, principals, and triarii

NihilisticCow
06-14-2005, 18:44
Guard mode makes no difference to defence or attack, it just effects how a unit responds to enemies. A unit in guard mode may be at a disadvantage if flanked, as the entire unit will not turn to face the attacker or only the individual units that are next to the enemy will attack, but out of guard mode, they may pursue an enemy thus allowing them to be flanked or be drawn out of position thereby exposing holes in your line. So it depends entirely upon the circumstances which is better.