PDA

View Full Version : Chivalry Total War -- your Opinions?

Siris
06-18-2005, 17:03
Well I searched the forums & didnt find quite what I was looking for, so here I go.

Do any of you here have the mod, & if you do, is it really good to you?

How is the combat?

Are there castles yet, or the same Rome buildings?

What all factions are there?

Have they put different pictures there for the units? I saw some screen shots of the campaign map, & it showed for example, Peasants, as something else, for example, an axeman, though that is not what it showed, just an example.

What else are they going to do modding wise?

I've checked of their website, http://stratcommandcenter.com/chivalry/, but didnt help too much on that, so I need info. from people who have actually played the game.

lars573
06-18-2005, 17:15
Well if that crappy site is any indication my opinion of them is lowering as we speak.

Mongoose
06-18-2005, 17:20
The mod must be crap! Look at their forums! ~:rolleyes:

Combat was great, and fairly well balanced. The faction list should be on the forums. I would wait until some more units are ready...63 is not enough for 19 factions.

Muska Burnt
06-18-2005, 20:18
ya that wasnt too impressive,well also im not really a mod person

Siris
06-18-2005, 21:34
Well alright then, looks like I wont be getting it. :embarassed:

L'Impresario
06-18-2005, 21:56
Yep don't get it. Already there are great arguments against it:
1)
crappy site
2)
that wasnt too impressive
3)
Combat was great, and fairly well balanced. The faction list should be on the forums. I would wait until some more units are ready...63 is not enough for 19 factions

Plus if you install it, you'll be asking why the campaign has so many bugs;)
Might as well check the link you provided a second time...maybe there's a forum there..hmmm

NihilisticCow
06-18-2005, 22:15
Umm... the current version is only a beta for multiplayer purposes and only has the early medieval units. So it is completely unfair to criticise the SP campaign aspects or the small number of units as the mod is not yet complete...

As for the site, personally I would always rather people spend time making the mod itself to be good than spending time making a pretty website. Besides, it's a perfectly decent website for a mod people are doing for free.

The_Doctor
06-18-2005, 22:26
Your not supposed to play the SP campaign because it does not work yet.

Sid_Quibley
06-18-2005, 23:02
"I've checked of their website, http://stratcommandcenter.com/chivalry/, but didnt help too much on that, so I need info. from people who have actually played the game."

Since the beta came out 2 months ago they have stated(on their forum) its purely for multiplayer,cant see how you missed it.And imo it plays pretty well,although units are limited compared to rtw,they are all usable.

katank
06-19-2005, 00:07
If you guys bothered to read the info at the bottom of the homepage, then you would see that it's not finished for release.

It's also certainly unfair to bash this mod. This looks like one of the more amazing mods to be released.

Mongoose
06-19-2005, 00:14
Im with katank. Wait until the damn thing is done before you start flaming it!
2.7 BETA wait for the full version.

~:handball:

Shottie
06-19-2005, 02:21
I've heard that if you installed the Mod demo (or whatever is out now) you can't play RTW vinilla without unistalling and losing all of your games and such. Not cool.

matches88
06-19-2005, 02:27
most of the mods affect the game such that you can no longer play vanilla. isn't the simple (and recommended) way to just back-up RTW vanilla. If you dont want to lose your vanilla save-games when uninstalling maybe you could just copy those too (before uninstalling). if disk space is an issue, there's also a mod install/uninstall tool but i haven't tried this.

Zakor
06-19-2005, 05:27
I've heard that if you installed the Mod demo (or whatever is out now) you can't play RTW vinilla without unistalling and losing all of your games and such. Not cool.

So, you're admitting that you installed a major MOD, that you didn't back up, and that you're blaming it on the MOD, rather than yourself, and on the fact that you knowingly altered your game in a major manner?

"not cool?" How about "not smart?"

Siris
06-19-2005, 16:10
In many other games I've played, a good MOD means that you do not have to concern yourself with the dynamics of such a thing.

This is more of, if you dont read up, you'll lose out, sorry. If someone told me that I'd call them an asshole personally.

But I do my homework well before I purcahse, download, or do anything on my PC, which is why I was asking around here.

Shottie
06-19-2005, 17:25
I never said I DLed or installed a major MOD on my computer, so maybe you should learn how to READ posts before you go out of your way and try to make someone look stupid. I was just stating that that is what happens, because I dont know what he knows about MODs. So next time take your own advice and label yourself "not smart"

Duke John
06-20-2005, 13:31
But then again, if you never installed a major mod, who are you to frighten others by stating it will screw up their installation?

Installing mods should be looked upon as installing a new game in 3 steps: Copy/install a version of R:TW
Install the correct patch according to the readme (yes, you must read before playing)
Install the mod

If you replace a seat in your car, will you complain that "This seat is worthless, it's not the old seat!"?

R'as al Ghul
06-20-2005, 13:41
We have this saying in Germany:
"Those who can read have a clear advantage."

~:cheers:

I've played the mod in custom battle. Looks awesome. Feels good.
I still don't like the combat mode of R:TW, though.

buujin
06-20-2005, 13:42
lol

this topic should be deleted, its worthless.

BrutalDictatorship
06-20-2005, 14:12
don't even bother with it...RTR eats it for lunch.

Lord Adherbal
06-20-2005, 17:52
ahhh so much ignorancy in this world

Duke John
06-20-2005, 18:07
Indeed, Sengoku Jidai will eat both for lunch :laugh:

...and I thought fanboys for original R:TW was already bad enough :wink:

The_Mark
06-20-2005, 18:25
RTW fanboys like this:http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=27051

I mean, that's bad.

As I've always wanted to say, fanboyism is like ###. You can do anything with it but I don't want hear you doing it. Ever.

Kor Khan
06-20-2005, 20:33
Here's some info for everyone on the mod

1. The website is horifically out of date. The last proper update was before christmas.

2. As stated before by many people (but which still never seems universally understood) The Current Version Is A Beta! That means: No CampMap, no high or late era units, no sieges and a few missing early era units (but not that many). One or two minor bugs as well.
Once again: Even though you can do the campaign game, don't expect it to even be half finished.

3. For screenshots, DON'T look at the screenshots topic at SCC forum. That's also largely out of date. Preferably, look at the one at TWC which is a lot newer.

4. As for any mod: Back vanilla 1.2 up before installing Chivalry. That way, you can play RTW any time you like, you can delete the modded version if you don't like it and you can always copy again in case there is a second mod you want to install.

Even though these bits of information have been stated in many places, people still seem to complain about the fact that they've managed to miss out on them. Please: Read before you complain!

Rob The Bastard
06-20-2005, 20:37
Abuse...
Swearing...
###...

It doesn't appear to add anything of value to this forum.

The_Mark
06-20-2005, 22:35
Sorry about that, just the "RTR pwns everything" blokes start to get on my nerves.

Nevertheless, in my opinion CTW is currently a great (MP) mod, even in it's beta stage. CTW's MP battles are the best thing to hit RTW (yet ~;) ). Slowed-down combat and well balanced units make the battles a lot more interesting, without imbalanced Romans/über units running over everything. Battles consisting of half an hour of fighting aren't that unusual, compared to vanilla's 5-10 mins of clickfest. You have enough of time to think about what to do, and that's assured that your opponent is doing the same.

CTW is mainly a MP mod, and rightly so. There aren't much of them around, even though they're needed. The MP community should be more lenient towards mods, as they enhance the gameplay greatly.

Siris, if you're into MP, trying the CTW beta is a must. If you aren't, wait for the full version that'll include SP campaign. As for your questions, I'll try to answer some of them.

Do any of you here have the mod, & if you do, is it really good to you?
I have it, and I refuse to play MP without it. SP is still currently unplayable.

How is the combat?
Combat speed is greatly lowered, unit balance is good, and the feel of battle is present in vastly larger quantities than in vanilla.

Are there castles yet, or the same Rome buildings?
No castles yet, but I hear they're being done.

What all factions are there?
England, France, HRE, a few crusader states + the papacy, Hungary, Kiev Rus, Cumans/Mongols, Almohads, Byzantines to name a few on the top of my head.

Have they put different pictures there for the units?
Yes, different unit cards are there.

What else are they going to do modding wise?
A large MP mod with units from three periods, castles, rebalanced combat, redone campaign map I reckon, pretty much a total conversion AFAIK.

Muska Burnt
06-20-2005, 23:54
i changed my mind that look like a decent mod but im still not planning on getting it since im not into mod really

Loinnreach
06-21-2005, 09:07
One note to all flaming around here. This is not something which will be tolerated here around.

Those who enjoy such debate as reperesnted here can go to twcenter.net, becaus here are not welcome.

Chivalry mod is currently best MULTIPLAYER mod around and will remain so until Sengoku Jidai mod will be out, which I do belive will match him in multiplayer balance. Chivalry wipes out RTR mod in multiplayer aspect, with all respect to RTR mods.

Despite this mod is mainly made for mutliplayer, will also support singleplayer. It will be made for people who do enjoy QUALITY and INTELIGENT game.

I'm not a moder of this mod, it is simply great mutliplayer experience, becaus I miss good old days of MTW and VI.

This is only for those few who made flaming posts here. I do not care what you are thinking, especially not with shown attitude. You can go to you beloved moding section what twcenter.net is, where attitude like this is allowed there.

Chivalry mod is beta version and when will be finished you will be desperate to try it.

Now I do not want see any similar post like this, becaus this topic was mainyl posted to attract all those lost players from STW and MTW generation who might wonder here around and will decide to play Chivalry mod, to those who like good singleplayer aspect of the game though and to those RTW newcomers who like medieval era.

*thread closed*

New opened.

Duke John, how far are you with Sengoku Jidai? Adherbal have made really good work, becaus he has balanced factions and units very well indeed. multiplayer experience is great, if we compare it with current RTW version.

CTW is near the original MTW, despite it is more flexible. I'm curious how will Jidai mod solve multiplayer issues and how near Shogun will be - gameplay interferance, units, etc.

I've heard that if this two mods will be finished soon enough, then a lot of those players who consisted STW and MTW community will came back.

Regards

Cid

Duke John
06-21-2005, 10:29
Cid, I do not want to steal too (:wink:) much attention from C:TW, so please post in the SJ subforum if you have any questions. But I hope to have a release finished in august.

Loinnreach
06-21-2005, 10:43
You won't steal attention. We need to work together to get people back.
I will post there. Thanks. :bow:

Cid

AquaLurker
06-21-2005, 15:12
I wouldn't say 'rtw fan boys' have bad taste for real time tactical battles, just different taste. I appreciate both RTW "vanilla and MTW", both games have different tactical aspects due to the difference in units available in the games, so one who had gotten too use to the former will feel arkward while trying out the latter.

These two are slighty different games but the basic concept of tactical appoach is the same. RTW is definately the more dynamic game while MTW/CTW mod requires "slightly" more tactical depths and is alittle more realistic in terms of the kill rate. But some balance issue is yet to be meet.

I feel that the molsem factions advantages doesn't seems to balance out their disadvantages, while the swabians swords are too cheap for their effectiveness as pointed out by some of my clan mates. I hope this will be noted. I have yet to try the danes out so I will do some test on them.

Can't wait for the high erra troops to be finished.

Just a question, shouldn't the moslem troops get advantages for fighting in deserts?

Lord Adherbal
06-21-2005, 15:24
I feel that the molsem factions advantages doesn't seems to balance out their disadvantages, while the swabians swords are too cheap for their effectiveness as pointed out by some of my clan mates. I hope this will be noted. I have yet to try the danes out so I will do some test on them.

the Almohads are too weak indeed, but I think the Turks and Egyptians are decent. Of course it's quite hard to tell for me at this point because I know all the units, so most of the other players cannot fully compete with me yet.
As for swabians, I realise they are a bit too strong (and too popular ;)). Rest assured it's one of the unit's that will be tweaked before the next beta (together with all other heavy infantry and 2handed weapon units).

Just a question, shouldn't the moslem troops get advantages for fighting in deserts?

only camels do. I didn't want to give too many climate bonuses, because that either means muslims are (a bit) too strong in the desert, or (a bit) too weak in "lush"/winter maps. Heavily armoured units will eventualy get a fatigue penalty in hot climates (desert) though, but I'm not doing that yet because I first want to get the overall unit balance right.

Basileios
06-25-2005, 18:47
Well I was a bit disappointed by the skin for the Byzantines, but most of the other skins are real cool!
Once the mod is really ready I´m sure to love it!

Renly
06-28-2005, 05:39
Personally, I absolutly love CTW. I'm a little scared to go MP, because from the ladder site, it looks like Adherbal is like 12 million-0

Shields
06-28-2005, 05:49
:D oh come on he has one loss for sure :)

dont be afraid to go MP tis all fun and games :D

Lord Adherbal
06-28-2005, 14:14
hmmm lemme think hmm... yeah... think I lost a game once...
;)

I see no reason to be scared to try MP just because of me though. We usually play teamgames, and it's all just for fun (isn't that the purpose of a "game" anyway). And it's quite obvious that as the sole person who knows all the stats and unit purposes by hearth I'm rather hard to defeat :) You might have to allearn some RTW habbits tho. It saddens me to see players throwing 3-4 cavalry units head-on against one of my own. That's just asking to be enveloped and destroyed. In RTW that could've been effective, but with the horse jump animation removed, they nolonger jump over eachother like a bunch of oversized rabbits doing endless charge damage.

Loinnreach
06-28-2005, 14:38
Adherbal has 12-0? One sec. :book: Adherbal next time you are in lobby I challange you 1v1 ladder match. :duel: 12-0 pffff This is needed to be changed! :charge:
Do you still has that axe for me m8? You might will need it this time. ~;)

Renly you need to know that Adherbal is not that bad player and seconldy that he made this mod.

Cid

L'Impresario
06-28-2005, 14:47
Renly you need to know that Adherbal is not that bad player and seconldy that he made this mod

You mean that "good", eh;)
Honestly though, throwing cavalry around like in RTW is a very bad idea..actually charging head-on or otherwise is a bad idea as well heh
Better stick to flanking(rearing for satisfactory results;)) with cav and concetrating large forces to the enemy's weakest point, while being fast enough to keep your own weak side/unsupported units out of enemy reach or have 'em stall as many opposing units as possible.

Lord Adherbal
06-28-2005, 15:30
Adherbal next time you are in lobby I challange you 1v1 ladder match. 12-0 pffff This is needed to be changed!

I agree, 13-0 sounds better :P

won't be on this evening, or maybe past 23.00 CET (or later)

actualy I now remember I had 12-0 on the Napoleonic TW ladder TWC hosted once. Only Lord Stronghold was above me with 20-7 or so

EDIT: actualy it was 13-0 (http://users.skynet.be/Carthaginian/RTW/NTWladder.jpg) :D

Puzz3D
06-29-2005, 14:18
And it's quite obvious that as the sole person who knows all the stats and unit purposes by hearth I'm rather hard to defeat :)
Part of the challenge in making a mod for multiplayer is to remove the need to study stats. Army purchase is more intuitive if each unit's purpose in the RPS system is clearcut. To that end, upgrades undermine knowing a unit's purpose because they break the RPS. In Samurai Wars, units are priced such that upgrades are not cost effective. As a result, there is little advantage to studying stats for purchasing units because a unit's base price is an accurate gauge of its performance, and the tactical use of each unit during battle is clear because a unit's purpose remains constant in the RPS system.

Duke John
06-29-2005, 14:55
It's cute how Puzz3D can always find a way to promote SamuraiWars :grin:

In Sengoku Jidai (:wink:) I will elimate the upgrade buttons so that people will learn to play with and against a small set of units, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. Unit costs will be an indication of their combat worthiness; Yari Ashigaru (lets say 200 koku) will not be as powerfull as Yari Samurai (400 koku).
In a 4000 koku army you will need to make the choice wether to pick Samurai, knowing that they will destroy opposing Ashigaru, and that the opponent could buy 2 Ashigaru units which together can defeat the Samurai. But when the units are lined up it will be a different story; all Ashigaru will cause your centre to fail against Samurai, all Samurai and you are too easily outflanked.

A balance need to be made and I think that that balance is lost when people are able to upgrade or have too much koku to spend. In a 8000 koku army the player can choose just Samurai and the whole challenge of picking the right units and deploying them right is lost. With upgrades the Ashigaru can be made to withstand the Samurai.

...was this useful?

L'Impresario
06-29-2005, 15:14
Actually that's the approach I advocated initially, but the "need to upgrade" seems to great for the majority (don't know why honestly- perhaps it creates the illusion that many more tactical options become available?).
In RTW it certainly appears harder than VI to achieve the R/P/S system's functionality with a greater amount of units, simply due to the unknown battle mechanics. Ofcourse the more extensive stats range does allow more variation but some other elements need to be clarified before making definate statements on balance. The fact for example that missile weapons have their own "power/effect"-variable doesn't help imo.
Apart from the "special abilities" and the speeds, to which is also difficult to apply a relative value that 'll modify the particular unit's cost.

I 've also said many times that the way "better" units behave when facing considerably "weaker" ones has also changed, in comparison to VI. Seems like the relatively believable RTW physics will create a situation where even a rear attack by the weak unit against the ,say, engaged "strong" one will result into very minor to minimal losses for the latter and a nice rout for the former, punishing the thought of rearing with units that wouldn't have a reasonable chance of winning frontally.

Lord Adherbal
06-29-2005, 16:25
personally I think upgrades add interesting choices, allowing you to turn a couple of units into "elite veterans". But I agree removing them could provide interesting gameplay just as well, and especially easier to balance.

RSP gameplay is only a part of the TW gameplay tho, especially now with the much more flexible unit movement in RTW. Being capable of micromanaging your units fast and effective can result in great effect - which I like.

Loinnreach
06-29-2005, 18:47
Duke John I know what you are pointing, but I don't belive that STW was different in this aspect. (correct me if wrond never played it)

You also have to had in mind that those less strong units, even upgreaded are not as good as few ''elite'' upgreaded units.

The Mind
06-25-2009, 01:05
I think chivalry is better then MTW2 !!:2thumbsup:
But the rebels!:wall::wall: