PDA

View Full Version : Highland Revival?

GoreBag
06-20-2005, 04:20
A while back, King Malcolm posted about gathering interest for a MTW mod placed in Scotland. After the mod died out, I found the thread, and after communicating with Malcolm, I've decided that another rallying cry is in order. Are there any modders interested in creating an RTW mod centered around the Clan Wars of Scotland?

King of Atlantis
06-20-2005, 04:22
ohh man a mod like that would be awesome..... Hope this pulls through ~:cheers:

-Maybe you should ask the folks at chivalry i believe they have done some scottish units-

TenkiWarPRIEST
06-20-2005, 07:35
Mighty Fine. ~:cheers:

Duke Malcolm
06-20-2005, 16:16
Whoopee! Good to see that you decided to rally a team for the mod. I shan't be able to help much, since I have school work and have to help with the hundred years' war mod. I might be able to help here and there, especially with some historical details, however...

GoreBag
06-20-2005, 20:28
Any help you can provide, Malcolm, would be wonderful, and, to be fair, the whole thing really is your idea. My worry is recruiting people to put this stuff into action (cough cough).

GoreBag
06-22-2005, 05:03
No takers, eh. Well, I've done a little more research on the subject, and I can't decide exactly when such a mod should even take place. Any suggestions on that, either?

dclare4
07-12-2005, 03:32
We were supposed to do one for MTW but no one could do the modelling so that stomped it... then in RTW my Lacewars Mod's been put on hold (though I still have the British and Scottish strategic map models) as I'm committed to Zulu Total war... but if they put back those TITLES and OFFICES in RTW then I'm up for restarting the Jacobite Total War mod... 1689 to circa 1760.

Duke Malcolm
07-12-2005, 09:12
The system in RTW might be better for an highland clans mod. Each major loyal lord in the lowlands could be a roman faction, and hence eligible for a post.

Atheist_Peace
07-12-2005, 09:14
A mod like this is already in progress.

There is a topic a few threads down about it and you can visit our forums at http://www.bravehearttw.proboards43.com/index.cgi

King of Atlantis
07-12-2005, 09:21
Actually this mod was started before yours though it never took off.

Duke Malcolm
07-12-2005, 09:23
That is the Wars of Independence, though, not the clan wars. Equipment was significantly different. In the clan wars, great kilts were worn, and basket-hilted back-swords or broad-swords were mainly used (along with dirks, pistols, muskets, and claymores). In the other, some odd looking Irish thing was worn (not like the movie), everything was a lot more medieval, and claymores were the main weapon. The clans were also a lot different.

Atheist_Peace
07-12-2005, 10:49
sorry i just read your post quickly and saw medieval scotland and i just assumed that you meant the wars for independence or something around that time period, my mistake.

GoreBag
07-22-2005, 23:08
Hey, the thread saw some activity in my absense, and Malcolm holds the fort!

Come on guys. We all know a mod like this would kick a ton and a half of arse.

Dclre4: I saw some of your work for RTW in Malcolm's MTW thread. I was very impressed.

Chilly5
07-23-2005, 00:05
isnt this the same as hyperborean total war or some other mods out there? i think there are many....

dclare4
07-31-2005, 09:58
I've actually been thinking about it again even as we are proceeding with Zulu Total War at TWCENTER. I've been able to research quite a bit more and have some Ospreys and Two Men in A Trench II w/c has a splendid chapter on Killiecrankie and Battles in Britain w/c has the more famous battles from the '15, '19 and '45. Research-wise we can even make it accurate to the battalion.

The problem is - as is usually the case - actually working on it.

Right now I am committed to ZTW though hopefully once that's up and running the brilliant modeller Sundjata Keita may be amenable to doing some work for another mod, perhaps this. The modeller I think is one of the key things on w/c the success or failure of a mod depends.

Then there's some minor issues - RTW is vastly more mod friendly than MTW. But RTW is not MTW and a host of little things - firearms, titles and offices, mounting and dismounting - were not transported into RTW as far as I know at least. While a Jacobite Rising mod can perhaps skirt these issues (except maybe the firearm one) they increase the difficulty of the task at hand.

But I think it will come, if not now then in its own time. And when it does I'll be here to lend my support.

Best regards,
Clare (Harlechman)

GoreBag
07-31-2005, 18:12
I was thinking that the time period should be a little earlier than the Jacobite period, concentrating more on clan feuds than royal politics. Electricscotland has a fairly large history section online, a portion of which chronicles some of the clan feuds that went on between 1454 and 1623. It's not all-encompassing, of course, since these things were pretty common and all that, but it's a good start, I thought.

The link: General History of the Highlands (http://www.electricscotland.com/history/genhist/)

It's the second section.

dclare4
08-06-2005, 13:21
Well with BI coming out and some really good features mentioned I think that I may (after ZTW) try and encourage my partners to consider their the WASP mod or a new Jacobite Total War mod.

GoreBag
08-08-2005, 19:34
I didn't think the Jacobite period would be optimal for a mod about the Highlands, or clan warfare in general.

Duke Malcolm
08-09-2005, 14:31
I think that RTW would be more suited to a clan war mod, because the king could replace the senate, and the most loyal landed families and clans could be the Roman Factions.

GoreBag
08-09-2005, 18:48
Ooh, the king as the senate. I hadn't thought of that.

Atholl
01-18-2006, 13:52
Hi everybody,

A while back i wanted to help King Malcolm with his mod... but sadly his mod died out. I'm a fanatical Scottish history student from the Netherlands. So if you all need any historical help just let me know!

GiantMonkeyMan
01-18-2006, 18:35
if you want as i 'work' for zulu tw with dclare once zulu tw is up and running i'll make a trait system which has titles and offices... it could be similar to the roman 'consul-praetor' etc traits...

dclare4
01-20-2006, 11:12
Hi everybody,

A while back i wanted to help King Malcolm with his mod... but sadly his mod died out. I'm a fanatical Scottish history student from the Netherlands. So if you all need any historical help just let me know!

Hi there Atholl,

While it's not for a Scottish mod per se, Highland regiments were involved in wars for South Africa since its conquest by the British. Would you know anything about Pipe bands or the 93rd, 91st, 74th Highlanders? Particulrly stuff that's not online :book:

Thanks very much,
Harlechman (Clare)

dclare4
01-22-2006, 05:58
Hi KM, have you heard the news? They're coming out with Medieval TW 2 next year w/c I guess is RTW plus all the medieval stuff we've 'missed' - hopefully mapping and modelling hasn't changed TOO MUCH. I'm more inclined now to await that for a Jacobite Rising mod than to push it with RTW (I'm hoping to get the Pope to be the Hanoverians hehehe). In the meantime I do hope you will consider helping out ZTW even if only with the Scottish units (you do have 3D Studio Max for modelling right?) and you can rest assured that I've not forgotten or stopped wanting to make a Jacobite mod.

Best regards,
Harlechman (Clare)

Atholl
01-22-2006, 13:35
Hi there Atholl,

While it's not for a Scottish mod per se, Highland regiments were involved in wars for South Africa since its conquest by the British. Would you know anything about Pipe bands or the 93rd, 91st, 74th Highlanders? Particulrly stuff that's not online :book:

Thanks very much,
Harlechman (Clare)

I shall check my bookcase or otherwise when i'm in our University liberary i shall take a look if i can find anything about those subjects.. If i can find the time besides my papers that i have to finish before the 3rd of februari!:oops:

Duke Malcolm
01-22-2006, 14:26
Hi KM, have you heard the news? They're coming out with Medieval TW 2 next year w/c I guess is RTW plus all the medieval stuff we've 'missed' - hopefully mapping and modelling hasn't changed TOO MUCH. I'm more inclined now to await that for a Jacobite Rising mod than to push it with RTW (I'm hoping to get the Pope to be the Hanoverians hehehe). In the meantime I do hope you will consider helping out ZTW even if only with the Scottish units (you do have 3D Studio Max for modelling right?) and you can rest assured that I've not forgotten or stopped wanting to make a Jacobite mod.

Best regards,
Harlechman (Clare)

Yes, I heard. I doubt the models will have changed much, but a new map would not be too bad...

As for a Jacobite mod, It would be better to wait for MTW2, since it is (almost) the right time period, and there would be no pesky senate-and-roman system (I've not played BI...), and there might be better modding capabilities, and abilities to give titles. Although, I would not mind doing a simple clan war one, perhaps the two could be merged as one.

I do have 3DSMax, yes. My modelling skills could do with some improvement first, but I can certainly try...

dclare4
01-24-2006, 05:56
Again my inspiration was something along the lines of Rob Roy (the movie) w/c would give plenty of room for clan warfare. The same old cast is there but with the expanded number of factions I can see more clans being represented including the Clan Chattan (lead by Mackintosh but with a rebel breakaway faction under the Macphersons), the Macleods of Skye and MacDonalds of Sleat as well as the MacNeills of Barra. The conflict can be between rival clans but with the 'religion' issue modded into political allegiance so instead of 'The Pope declares the French excommunicate' you have 'King George has declared the MacDonalds of Clanranald outlaws.'

Another thing I hope they bring back is the Throne Room of STW. It really gave a lot of atmosphere to have embassies arrive there and one of my fondest wishes was to be able to convert those into some Scottish clan chief's home. I heard somewhere they're bringing back the assasination videos.

Actually BI has no senate any longer and there are expanded capacities for titles and offices. However I hope they make the titles and offices in MTW2 similar to MTW - both territory related and faction related. For example if you capture Strathbogie Castle you get the territorial title 'Cock o'the North' but in your own faction you strive to get titles of nobility (Duke of Argyll, Earl of Loudoun, Earl of Breadalbane, Earl of Stair)

Well here's hoping for MTW2 to be good. In the meantime the veldt is a great place for action...

Harlechman (Clare)

The Border Reiver
02-16-2006, 14:59
Hi all

Well this is indeed most fortunate timing. I was just over at TWCenter about to announce a Scottish Clan Mod, when I thought I'd check over here first.

If there is anyone here that is still interested in helping a mod such as this please PM me. At this early stage researchers only are required....even better if you have other skills.

I too have wanted to get this exact mod off the ground, and now seems to be an appropriate time, with MTW 2 being announced. This new engine will be perfect for the clan and border wars.

The mod I intend to make will use MTW 2 and therefore is still a little while off. The working name will be Medieval Scotland:Total War, and I am in the process of drawing up a design document.

Anyway enough for now, I will open a topic on Saturday to announce this mod.

So if you are interested please PM me and or reply here.

cheers

Border Reiver

Duke Malcolm
02-16-2006, 17:20
I shall be available for researching, but nothing more. My schoolwork is proving to volumous to allow me to have a social life and muddle about modding games, and the former has a priority...

Justiciar
02-16-2006, 19:08
If you do go ahead with a Jacobite campaign.. don't make it an Anglo-Scottish war, eh? :no:

Duke Malcolm
02-16-2006, 19:21
Yes, every sane minded person knows it was not an Anglo-Scottish War. The Majority of Government forces were Scots.