PDA

View Full Version : Faction-specific buildings?

Russ Mitchell
06-21-2005, 22:21
I have an idea.

MTW's "tech tree" is whacked. We all know it. Nobody in their right mind thinks that it took a year for a King to build a spear maker. On the other hand, catapults and the like were truly specialized critters.

Can one make buildings faction-specific? Could we force one to build, say, the Order of the Star in order for the french to get their finest chivalric knights? Or else a bonus to valor that isn't available to other factions?
Sure, some things would be religion-centered... but for most of the middle ages, troops provided their own gear. Why are we wasting decades and cash teaching folks how to build a better spear? A spear is a spear is a spear... Metallurgists? They didn't exist! BUT... windmills and water mills did, and without mill-powered hammers, you can write large quantities of sheet steel (and thus plate armor) right off...

And wouldn't that be a much better way of cramming GA and conquer mode into the same game, while maybe involving some actual history?

edyzmedieval
06-22-2005, 09:18
It's not hard but it takes some work to make faction specific buildings...

BKB has in his mod many new buildings but they are not faction specific, only religion specific....

Russ Mitchell
06-22-2005, 17:33
It's not hard but it takes some work to make faction specific buildings...

BKB has in his mod many new buildings but they are not faction specific, only religion specific....

I don't suppose there's been a tutorial on this sort of thing since I've been gone? :book:

The Blind King of Bohemia
06-22-2005, 17:53
Actually no some are faction specific, such as Chapter Houses. It is definitely possible to specify a building to a faction. However, unless you make it a separate unit, you can only specify one set of buildings for a each unit to be built with, so you couldn't differentiate it for factions unless you duplicated units.

Russ Mitchell
06-24-2005, 20:30
That in and of itself wouldn't be a problem: the Order of the Garter and the Order of the Star both affect the same kinds of units, but their results were different.... I've taught myself how to do the main startpos file -- did a bunch of that for Wes before he got so sick. But I'm still kind of clueless about buildprod and unitprod files, because when I look at them as a text file, they're gobbledygook,a nd when I edit them in excel and save as .txt, I get column errors and cant' start the game.

Frustratin', but potentially very workable.

My word: I just discovered the Gnome editor. Neat!
But... how do you add more items to the list?

(you know, all this stuff you guys have been doing for, oh, two years now?)