PDA

View Full Version : PMTW for MTW new map thread

cegorach
06-25-2005, 13:41
I would like to discuss the idea of a new map for Medieval edition. I have some ideas which I post later, but I want to hear your too. :bow:

edyzmedieval
06-25-2005, 14:05
The Balkans...especially Romania...

Very troubled times, could make an awesome mod...

cegorach
06-25-2005, 14:14
Nope. I meant the old european map with some changes - the mod is whollly european. I don't want to start another mod for MTW, except ECW for now.
The balcan mod would be a good option, but I don't have time, really.

Only new map for EUROPE is concerned - new provinces with all the factions from PMTW 1.0 - nothing more. :book:

cegorach
06-28-2005, 10:25
My ideas for the simpliest changes in the campaign map. More advanced project might be started as well, but I want to solve the problem as quickly as possible - before the end of August.

It is possible to add up to 8 new provinces. Additional ones can be added if some of the older ones will be removed.
So I'd like to remove:

1. Sahara
2. and Libya

- these will be added to Marocco, but only because it is not posible to remove them completely. Still there will be no access from Egypt to ex-Libya. Former Sahara and Libya will be no-man's land designed to cut Northern Africa into two battlezones which will:
stimulate building large fleets to transport troops from Tunisia to Egypt enhance the importance of Malta - exactly like in history.

So in the end Marocco will border Algieria and the see and Egypt will be isolated from Tunisia. This way Spain will not conquer MIddle East marching through the deserts and the Ottomans will not do the same the other way.

cegorach
06-28-2005, 10:30
3. Synai
- added to Egypt - the second rate faction anyway.

4. Edessa
- added to Syria - the crusades are over, the entire region is already poor ( Mongols) so this province is useless.

5. Lesser Armenia
6. Antioch
- again the territory was devastated by MOngols and intentionally demolished by local rulers - 'not to tempt any invaders' - the provinces are not necessary, there is a better use for their colours.

cegorach
06-28-2005, 10:58
This way we have 14 entries ready to use.

ADDED

1. Azores - capital ???

Placed in the southern Atlantic will ensure the survival of Portugal ( to some extent ~;) ) and represents the colonial power of this faction so it will be much richer than it really should. It is much better to add this province than something portuguese in continental Europe - easy to overrun by the Spanish.

2. Second Dutch province - name and capital is a question of choice.

Required to give some strenght to this important faction.

3. Electoral Saxony cut from Franconia - capital Dresden

More german provinces are essential, besides Franconia is certainly too large for Saxony ( Faction).

4. Another german province

Germany was a rich territory and the battlefield for many wars of this era so it really needs more provinces.

5. Royal Hungary - capital Presburg

It is useful to:
give some additional strenght to Hungary in 'early' - a very powerful state at that time
and to recreate its partitions in later times.
Royal Hungary will be Hapsburg 'shield' from the Turks covering Bohemia, Austria and southern Poland - all of this is really necessary.

6. Dalmatia - capital Ragusa

Basically the whole coastal part of Croatia and Serbia. Very important to Venice - should provoke some serious conflicts with the Ottomans, but will give some additional power to the Venetians.

7. Montenegro - capital Cetinje

Small, but interesting mountain province. It will be an independent faction in 'late' so it is necessary. The province will be very poor, but MOntenegran soldiers will be cheap to recruit too ( for its faction only) ~;)

8. Eastern Prussia - Konigsberg

Cut from the current Prussia represent the important part of the dying Teutonic Order and later 3rd province of Brandenburg (in 'late') - very useful.

9. Courland - Mitau

Part of LIvonia. Polish vassal from 1561 to 1795.
Rich province - another target in the Northern Wars of XVI-XVIIIth centuries, additional Tutonic province in 'early'.

10. Estonia - capital Tallin ???

4th province of the Teutons. Swedish territory from 'high'. Should cut Novgorod from the sea as well and have connection with Finland.

11. Scania - capital???

Danish province for all the timeframe. Battleground in many Danish-Swedish wars.

12. Ruthenia - LvoV
Cut from a part of Poland + part of Volhynia ( relocated to the east) - the gateway from Transylvania to Poland.

13. Budhak ??? - capital Ochakov

The coastal part of Moldavia and Kiev. Tatar province for all the timeframe.

14. Finally - Wild Fields of Russia - capital Azov

Tatar province. The target of many Russian expeditions untill Peter the Great.

cegorach
06-28-2005, 11:07
Other changes:

1. Provance's territory extended to the border of Switzerland - to cut Milan from Burgundy. Myabe renamed Savoy ???

2. Burgundy renamed - Franche Comte and pushed to the east with smaller territory.

3. Volhynia - renamed Podolia with capital Kamieniec Podolski.

Placed more in the western Kiev. Its northern part added to Poland.

4. Kiev renamed Ukraine

6. Pereyaslav renamed Wild Plains with capital in Sech

It will be covering the whole east-south corner of Kiev.

The Blind King of Bohemia
06-28-2005, 11:11
The Azores is a very good idea, especially as Portugal tends to get swamped by the Spanish ( I have that trouble in my mod as well).

I was thinking for extra space, are all the Islands important? I know Cyprus and Malta are in your time frame but is Crete? I'm not that sure about this but it could give you a little more space maybe dividing Greece in half and that might encourage a few more wars kicking off in the Balkan theatre.

cegorach
06-28-2005, 11:13
Water areas:

REMOVED

I need only on entry so only one will be removed.

Marmara Sea will be added to the eagean. This way Constantinoipole will be easier to protect frow the west I hope and the trade links should be easier for the AI to handle.

ADDED

Southern Baltic - this will cover Prussian, Eastern Prussian, Courland, Lithuanian and Livonian coastline. Trade in the Baltic should work in a better way and the Swedes should be able to transport troops from/to Finland and Estonia easier as well.

These were my proposals. I will add more details later ( capitals, names), but I am waiting for your opinions as well.

Regards Cegorach ~:cheers:

cegorach
06-28-2005, 11:17
but is Crete? QUOTE

I think it is BKB. I hope this way the Venetians will be fighting the Ottomans really quickly, because the Ottoman Empire is the single super-power in this mod ( the Spanish are powerful, but divided as well) so they need many enemies to start with ~;)

To ALL

LINK

Euroatlas maps for the period

are posted here

- http://twow.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=1085&st=0

THis should give you more idea what I want.

Cegorach :book:

streety
07-16-2005, 16:07
Howdy Cegorach,

The existing MTW British Isles map divisions aren't that good for the mediaeval period, and are woefully inadequate for the renaissance. I appreciate that many of these concerns would be addressed in your possible English Civil War mod, but if you're still taking input for the main P&MTW map, here's a precis:

Scotland
At least have it split in two - The Highlands and The Lowlands. The capital for The Highlands would be problematic, but Inverness might just do, or Inverary, or Blair Atholl, and would be represented by a keep. The Lowland's capital would be Edinburgh, with a castle. In your early and middle periods, both would be simply in Scotland, but with a higher risk of rebellion in the Highlands. In your late period it should change: the Highland's leader could be called the Earl of Montrose, and he'd be Royalist, with many of his units actually Irish, the rest being highlanders. The Lowlands late period leader could be the Marquess of Argyll (but with Sir David Leslie as their best general, equal in skill to Cromwell), and they would be the Covenanters and either replace later period Scotland as a nation or be a neutral rebel territory (having been allied to the Roundheads in the first civil war, but against them in the second).

Engalnd and Wales
Even more difficult. London was never the capital of Wessex nor did Wessex extend across all southern England. Wales has been fully subjugated to England and as a nation plays no separate part. Here is breakdown by province:

Wales is administered from Ludlow (in Shropshire, England) and thus its boundary should be extended to include that county (basically, move the westernmost 20% of Mercia into Wales and call it "Wales and the Marches"). Represent Ludlow by at least a castle.

London (citadel) the capital of a new region called "The Home Counties", that is basically the southeast of England (i.e. taken from the eastern half of Wessex and southeastern corner of Mercia).

The remaining western half of Wessex should have Bristol as its castle with ring wall capital (representing second British city to London), with Bristol or Plymouth as its main port, but the province to be called "The West Country".

Mercia retained but now smaller, capital Nottingham (with a castle).

Northubria might be better called "Northern England" with York its castle capital, replacing the current Northumbria (if there was space it would better to have both Northumbria and Yorkshire as provinces).

Ireland
At least two provinces (preferably four if there were space, which I doubt). To overly simplify: The middle of the eastern half (the region around Dublin) could be called "Leinster" or "The Boil", and be an English then Roundhead province, but one which could easily rebel. The rest still called "Ireland" but really this was (at least) Munster, Connaught and Tyrone - but I doubt there'd be space for this on the P&M Europe map.

So all that would mean finding at least 3 more provinces for the British Isles. This would still ignore the existence of East Anglia as a possible province (with Norwich as its capital), but there wouldn't be space for that as well as Mercia and the Home Counties on the P&M Europe scale map. If you can't find 3 more province slots, at least rename Wessex to "Southern England", and do the Northumbia name changes. Again, all this still a gross simplification of reality.

edyzmedieval
07-16-2005, 21:05
Budhak?!

Between Moldavia and Kiev introduce Basarabia....

Basarabia - Soroca Castle

cegorach
07-23-2005, 11:48
Streety & edyzmedieval

Limit of provinces in the MTW is far more restrictive than in RTW, so no more provinces above the number I presented, I am sorry...

Still this Budhak will be Yedistan in reality.

But for now there is noone to make the changes, so the discussion is pointless, maybe... :help:

edyzmedieval
07-30-2005, 17:40
Cegorach,

Here are my ideas for the map, as you requested.

-Constantinople is easier to defend with the Marmara.
-Estonia - Talinn is the capital
-Kiev should remain Kiev because it still remained the Duchy of Kiev
-Savoy also a good idea.
-Good idea with the Konigsberg. Now the Teutons are harder to destroy.

As for Hungary I suggest, 2 provinces: Buda and Pesta.

Eddy :bow: :book:

cegorach
08-03-2005, 10:30
OK. But I still need someone to prepare the map ~;)