PDA

View Full Version : Online Campaign

Revelation
07-01-2005, 12:49
Would it be difficult to implement this? I've read a few threads internet wide in regards to this and heard a few different arguements.
I think it would be a great addition to the TW series.
Anyone have any ideas as to the problems that would be encountered trying to set this one up?
CA just don't wan't to run with this one. Y?
An online campaig played over a few hrs, weeks or even months would be great. With different rules and conditions in regards to participating and winning could see this become a real winner!

LegolasII
07-01-2005, 15:20
That does sound cool and believe me when I say I've thought of it before. The only problem is what happens when someone leaves? I doubt the campaign could last days or months... Unless maybe if a player of a certain faction did not arrive the AI could control the faction until he arrives(if he ever even comes back). I think it could work and would be awesome but it is very unlikely.

KSEG
07-01-2005, 15:33
How many people in the world would actually play it?
20? 30?
I don't think CA will go through all the hard work for 30 people.
Besides, I'm not intrested at all.
It simply would take too much time.

TonyJ
07-01-2005, 16:13
As far as I can see, the problem lies in the inherent difference in the nature of online play - instant, real time, constantly changing and dynamic - and the turn based nature of the campaign map.

The way it is now, how could the campaign map possibly be real time. I'm sure that the amount of time and effort that it would take to fundamentally change it's nature would not be repaid by the number of people likely to use it.

ChaosLord
07-01-2005, 17:43
Theres a simple way to go about this, just make all battles auto-resolved. Then it plays like a shorter game of Civilization. Oh and despite what you all might think, many would play a game even having to fight the battles out each turn. But CA claims the time people would spend playing(as if people spending time playing their game was a bad thing) as the reason they never do an online campaign. This is despite lots of people asking for it every new TW game.

Oaty
07-02-2005, 01:09
Mini campaigns would be excellent. Basically a map of Spain to fight over or the first Punic war wich most of the fighting was done on Sicily.

The reason would be the time and not an increased prospect of sales due to this feature.

Revelation
07-02-2005, 01:53
Maybe a set of specific campaign options. Such as short, specific victory condition, long, single historical campaign using only a few factions.
Perhaps a time limit on bounds/turns? Have a forum/lobby where players can post to enter a game when a player from the current campaign has become inactive for a certain period of time. Have the pc take over for some bounds when players do not have the time to take their turn. Make the campaign bound/turn based orientated where the player can log on to the campaign, see opponents previous moves, make his then send it off.
Just a few ideas.

Aesculapius
07-06-2005, 08:57
20? 30?

ME! MEMEMEMEME !!!

I can't tell you how disappointed I was to discover that 'multiplayer' in RTW meant just battles. Sure, the battles are nice, but I'm just not co-ordinated enough to fight them in real-time (I'm a heavy 'pause' user!). What I'd LOVE to do is play a campaign against a thinking opponent.

So if anyone ever gets to make this a reality, I'll track down the other 19-29 people in the world and we can take a few weeks off and build a few empires, instead of just hacking each other to death (in the most tactical way possible, of course........).

Gaius Magnus
07-20-2005, 17:21
At the VERY LEAST they could allow us to play a multiplayer campaign over a home network. Then we could at least play friends and family, and since the 2 puters will be in the same place, over a relatively static connection, it would be much less hassle than an online game!

Wishazu
07-20-2005, 18:36
im sure it would be popular with clans also. a pool of players allready and willing to play it, even if it is just within the clan.

Myrddraal
08-07-2005, 18:47
I'm working on it right now.

Its going into testing. :smile:

I hope you like it

SirGrotius
08-07-2005, 23:01
I would play it, for what that's worth.

Marquis of Roland
08-07-2005, 23:14
If an online campaign game was made, I predict an excessive use of agents and for me that would not be fun. This game was made for the battles, so maybe they should make a campaign with more realistic military strategic maneuvering on a more regional (not smaller) map, like Spain, or Greece, etc.

The Hun
08-29-2005, 00:56
I think it would be more interest as clans. I cannot see ways to do this for single players other than small campaigns.

Wishazu
08-29-2005, 10:42
I'm working on it right now.

Its going into testing. :smile:

I hope you like it

i was following the creation of an mp campaign mod in the mod forums, but it seemed to die a few months ago, anyways, what kind of progress have you made?

Silver Rusher
08-29-2005, 16:33
20? 30?
I don't think CA will go through all the hard work for 30 people.
Besides, I'm not intrested at all.
It simply would take too much time.
This is probably the BIGGEST thing that TW fans have been requesting ever since Shogun first came out. Do you have any idea what you are saying? :furious3:

jacked
08-30-2005, 00:00
I know i will definitly play it ~:cheers:

Matheis
09-01-2005, 06:56
online campaign is possiblw those of you who played civilization II gold edition would know that it had mulitplayer onyl thing is it didnt have the 3d battles.

Dutch_guy
09-01-2005, 11:43
Myrddraal, good luck with your project, hope it works.
And I'll definatly give it a try when it's released

~:cheers:

:balloon2:

Lord_Tamerial
09-01-2005, 20:44
I had never played online campaign before. What is it like? Is it more fun than playing it against AI? What is the ups and downs?

Maq
09-02-2005, 16:07
I'd definitely be interested. I don't play much online anymore but I'm an old PBEM gamer and wouldn't mind a couple-of-turns-a-night spread out over a month or two type game.

There's some fun to be have playing the game two player hotseat - one player as the politician, one as the general.