PDA

View Full Version : What faction do you use?

Shadow
07-04-2005, 11:42
What factions do you guys usually use in multiplayer?

King Ragnar
07-04-2005, 20:44
I use mainly factions with phalanxes, like macedon, thrace, greece they are my favourite 3, i hate when people choose the typicla rome spam army which is just sad, all tey have preatorian cav urban cohort and archer auxilia, it isnt fun fighting againts those armies.

Craterus
07-05-2005, 21:45
To try and keep myself a balanced commander, I just go through the factions.

Start at Julii, go down to Thrace. Start over again.

Taurus
07-07-2005, 14:30
If I can see what faction the other player has chosen before mine then I try to pick a faction that I think can counter it.
Other than that I just pick a faction at random or cycle through the factions.

However I am really into Carthage at the minute. :charge: :duel:

NihilisticCow
07-07-2005, 17:20
Seleucids or Carthage are the ones I use most.

King Ragnar - I'm a bit confused that you list Macedon and Thrace as two of your favourite factions. Surely these are pretty much the two weakest phalanx factions - Thrace especially? If you play multiplayer, you'd know these are not good choices to play against skilled opponents. Also how is a Roman taking some cavalry, infantry and archers spamming?

Craterus
07-07-2005, 17:38
I was a little confused by that statement too. Archer Auxilia, Praetorians and Legionaries work very well when used together (and effectively).

But, these armies are quite boring because it ends up that all the units are the same. That's the thing with the Romans though; they are very repetitive.

King Ragnar
07-09-2005, 11:00
Nihilist- I mean people who choose that army every time they play a match, and when in 2v2, one side picks 2 roman factions, one player has an army of all preatorian cav and the other has only cohort and a few archers.

I like thrace because i love bastarnae and macedonia because they have a good selection of cav and phalanx, i didnt say that they were the best factions just my favourite every one has different opinions on who is there fav faction.

Wishazu
07-09-2005, 11:35
i`ll play as most of the factions, things like thrace,spain and dacia i leave for when im just messing around with my clanmates. My current favourite is Pontus.

Craterus
07-09-2005, 18:27
Spain is difficult to win with, but I've beaten some formidable opponents when using Thrace or Dacia. Dacia is difficult to command well, but if you know how to do it, they're good.

Arphaxad
07-17-2005, 13:18
Everything and anything, but most of the time, i like using the barbarian factions, just for fun. Besides they are so kick ass. When i wanna win i use macedon, greece,rome,or the Selucids.

Craterus
07-17-2005, 22:05
Macedon are just a crap version of Seleucids. Their best cav (companions) is outclassed by Cataphracts, but TSE have companions anyway.

Royal Pikemen, (Macedon's best foot unit) is beaten by Silver Shields (Pikemen) and TSE have SS legionaries too.

Taurus
07-17-2005, 23:23
The Seleucids also got Cretens and Elephants. ~:cheers:

jacked
07-18-2005, 00:21
Spain is difficult to win with, but I've beaten some formidable opponents when using Thrace or Dacia. Dacia is difficult to command well, but if you know how to do it, they're good.

just had a match pllaying as them. I came out in last place :embarassed:
and my favorite faction is greece

Lord Preston
07-18-2005, 01:32
The Seleucids also got Cretens and Elephants. ~:cheers:

they only have 1 of those warrior, and it isn't Cretens :bow:

Craterus
07-18-2005, 17:54
*Cretans

And yes, elephants are a bonus.

To sum up: superior cav (including elephants), superior pikemen, legionaries (macedon doesn't have any infantry), equal missiles (but Seleucids get Rhodians? which is another bonus and adds some variety).

Lord Preston
07-18-2005, 18:22
shesh, Seleucid only has bog standard basic Archers......... :book:

but they do have:
Cataphracts > companions
SS Pikemen > Royal Pikemen
Legionaries ... macedonia doesn't have anything like them
archers < cretans (but archers are support)
Chariots AND elephants... macedonia again doesn't have anything like them.

macedonia are the weakest of phalanx nations (not including Thrace which is a more barbarian/phalanx nation)

Wishazu
07-18-2005, 18:52
macedon is only really usefull in my opinion in team games where their massive numbers of phalanx units can be used to stop flank attacks, they need to be allied to someone with top notch cav as the companions are good but are outclassed by many others.

Taurus
07-19-2005, 16:29
Oops! Sorry guys I said cretans instead of Chariots. What was I thinking? :bow: ~:cheers:

Lord Preston
07-19-2005, 17:20
nice recovery ~;)

Craterus
07-20-2005, 18:40
Seleucids get Cretans anyway... I'm sure they do. They have the best line-up on the game.

NihilisticCow
07-20-2005, 22:29
Craterus... Seleucids do not get Cretans in MP, nor do they get Rhodians, Balerics or any other mercenary archer/slinger unit. The only archer they get is the basic one.

Also, surely Rome has a better line up?

Lord Preston
07-20-2005, 22:42
i thought i'd said that twice.... oh well third time lucky

Jammin
07-21-2005, 15:40
I like to use all the factions just for variety.
But my favourites and/or most commonly used factions are Roman (Julii), Armenia, Germania, Seleucids and Carthage.
Roman's aren't that repetitive as people have said.
You need to use some imagination and be creative with armies.
Every faction has its strengths and weaknesses, you just need to exploit them to make them effective.

Taurus
07-22-2005, 13:09
nice recovery ~;)

Thanks mate ~:cheers: :sweatdrop:

Roman's aren't that repetitive as people have said.

I totally agree, I find that the Romans are not repeptive if you keep a decent mix but you also have to find a balance between a good mix of units and a selection of units that can actually win battles. ~:cheers: