PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Mod Tutorials:2D & Units & Provinces

Callatian
11-01-2004, 00:46
Well I have just arrived and I see some good tutorials around here is the RDB II one : http://www.twcenter.net/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=54&t=13927&st=0#entry246249
I hope it will help someone.
Achilles once said : IMORTALITY IS YOURS ! TAKE IT !

Ok here we go ...any pic in RTW can be edited with Photoshop, no need for 3D Studio Max as long you are using the same 3D skeleton....the secret is how to save it. You will also learn here how to actually insert a new unit in the RTW Files. This is Newbie Proff and you will also find here how to insert a new unit in the RTW Files and How to make a new Province. More RTW Education will be added in the future.

For 2D RTW Files

1.First get the Nvidia DDS Utilities and Photoshop Plugins from the NVIDIA Official Site. ( I use Photoshop 7)

2. Open any Unit_Bird_Dacian.TGA.DDS

3. Now if you don't know to much PhotoShop try to rightclick on the tools' small icons ! There are more tools hidden in them ! For the 2D queque pics the most important tool is the "background eraser tool" so the pic will be integrated in game with the right RTW background.

For the File/Save As Option :

I. First save pop up window : sellect target file and remove the lower case extention option !

II. Second save pop up window : 32 bits and select compress file option !

Done for RTW 2D pics.

NOTE : Remember to put them in a file in the RTW folder data named as Ui/UNIT_INFO/dacia...or Units/dacia you will have to make these folders. Also I recommend for a new unit to use different names than the original....like "barbarian infantry2" etc.

PhotoShop painting Tutorials : http://www.pslover.com/tutorials/Basics/1

For RTW 3D Textures

Same,same !

1. open the original *.TGA.DDS that you want to mod.

NOTE.When you first open a TGA.DDS you must select Yes in the MIP MAPS pop up window ! Also the TGS.DDS Texture are Packed so you must "unzip" them with Vercingetorix Tools and then make the new files who will be seen first by the RTW when loadeing a texture for a new model. You will not need to compres the new textures moded by you back to original RTW File/ For more insight in to the files see what Files created Gaius in the RTR Mod

SECOND NOTE :AmbrosiusAurelianus said that if you select no when you open a TGA.DDS and then when you save select "Generate Mip Maps" PShop will do the resizeing for you. 50%,25%,15%,7%,etc. So you don't need to do this manualy.

2. Don't like PhotoShop use Paint.....no problem...save it as a *.BMP ...and keep photoshop open with that window and original TGA.DDS

3. Play with the texture in Paint and save it. (remember the skeleton will be the same so no extra parts.!)

NOTE [Old Style]. Make the size reductions acordingly : 50%,25%,15%,13% etc.....I use ACDSee for that and copy from paint and paste in the ACDSee and resize etc.

4. Enter PhotoShop and open the *.bmp that you just saved.

5. Select it all and copy-paste it in the (existing) original unit in the PhotoShop window *.TGA.DDS.
(So you will incorporate the existing alpha channels/and have no problems with the ornaments)

NOTE. PhotoShop is very good for blur or painting with brushes that only use 50% of the color ,25......etc. For more realism anyway just experiment as long as you remember to find more tools by right-clicking on the existing tools. Also if you copy paste inside PhotoShop for small parts you will need to do edit/free transform.....move that croped texture were you want it and press other tool ...a window will pop up (press apply!)

6. After you paste it do file/save as/

7. First Save Pop Up Window: select alpha channels and remove the "Use lower case extension" also remember to select save as *.DDS and write manualy "barbarian_monkey_Dacia.TGA" ..don't forget - ".TGA" ! the PhotoShop will add after ".TGA" a ".DDS"

8. Second Save Pop Up Window : ( Don't play with this since it autosaves and it sticks the acterations to your PC no matter if you remove all the known paint files *.DDS etc...so be careful ! I will attach a profile that can be loaded by the second DDS save PhotoShop window)

-Save format DXT 5 ARGB (Interpolated Alpha)
-2D Texture
-Use existing MIP maps

And its ready as long as you create in the data folder/model_units a textures folder and put it inside !
use a different name.

NOTE . The texture is used by the descr_model_battle so make sure that next to the new unit you add the new texture link see this example :

type greek_armoured_hoplite2
skeleton fs_javelinman, fs_swordsman
indiv_range 40
texture dacia, data/models_unit/textures/UNIT_GREEK_ELITE_HOPLITE_CALLATIAN.TGA
model_flexi data/models_unit/unit_greek_hoplite_elite_high.cas, 15
model_flexi data/models_unit/unit_greek_hoplite_elite_med.cas, 30
model_flexi data/models_unit/unit_greek_hoplite_elite_low.cas, 40
model_flexi data/models_unit/unit_greek_hoplite_elite_lowest.cas, max
model_sprite dacia, 60.0, data/sprites/greek_cities_greek_armoured_hoplite_sprite.spr
model_tri 400, 0.5f, 0.5f, 0.5f

NOTE. make sure that you don't use spears and swords in combination with units that were never intended to be used with .....but a spear /sword combination will work as long as they are javelins or used in phalanx (the game crashes in very close combat since they mix close swords with spears and the spear tends to not penetrate an enemy body so it appears in the hand and smashes in the enemy body crashing the game. That is why you can't form a testudo at a unit with spears since the spears get in the way / javelins with spears will work for a testudo....etc.

More about units creation ?! See this :
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=13749

TEXT FILES : How to put the unit inside RTW Files

Now you will probably want to see the callatian info and how it was inserted in the files :

The files that need to be modded for a new unit are :

export_descr_unit.txt, descr_model_battle.txt, export_descr_unit_enums.txt and export_descr_buildings in the Data Folder

export_units.txt in the Data/Text Folder

I will now mention the file the that changes I did inside it:(the original RTW text in front of the modification will be present too so you know after what unit I insert it )

FILE. export_descr_unit.txt

type greek hoplite elite
dictionary greek_hoplite_elite ; Armoured Hoplites
category infantry
class spearmen
voice_type Heavy_1
soldier greek_armoured_hoplite, 40, 0, 1.3
officer greek_standard
attributes sea_faring, hide_forest, can_sap, hardy
formation 1, 1, 2, 2, 5, square, phalanx
stat_health 1, 0
stat_pri 9, 7, no, 0, 0, melee, simple, piercing, spear, 25 ,1
stat_pri_attr spear
stat_sec 7, 3, no, 0, 0, melee, simple, piercing, sword, 25 ,1
stat_sec_attr no
stat_pri_armour 11, 6, 5, metal
stat_sec_armour 0, 0, flesh
stat_heat 4
stat_ground 2, 0, 0, 0
stat_mental 8, normal, highly_trained
stat_charge_dist 30
stat_fire_delay 0
stat_food 60, 300
stat_cost 1, 640, 210, 70, 100, 640
ownership greek_cities

type greek hoplite elite2
dictionary greek_hoplite_elite2 ; Armoured Callatians
category infantry
class heavy
voice_type Heavy_1
soldier greek_armoured_hoplite2, 40, 0, 1.3
officer greek_armoured_hoplite2
attributes sea_faring, hide_forest, can_sap, hardy
formation 1, 1, 2, 2, 5, square
stat_health 1, 0
stat_pri 13, 4, pilum, 35, 1, thrown, blade, piercing, spear, 25 ,1
stat_pri_attr prec, thrown ap
stat_sec 7, 4, no, 0, 0, melee, simple, piercing, sword, 25 ,1
stat_sec_attr no
stat_pri_armour 11, 6, 5, metal
stat_sec_armour 0, 0, flesh
stat_heat 4
stat_ground 2, 0, 0, 0
stat_mental 10, normal, highly_trained
stat_charge_dist 30
stat_fire_delay 0
stat_food 60, 300
stat_cost 1, 640, 210, 70, 100, 640
ownership dacia

NOTE The officer is the same unit so don't add 2 to a greek_standard. I've seen this mistake in the PM's.

FILE.descr_model_battle.txt

type greek_armoured_hoplite
skeleton fs_spearman, fs_swordsman ; combat spear
indiv_range 40
texture carthage, data/models_unit/textures/unit_greek_elite_hoplite_carthage.tga
texture greek_cities, data/models_unit/textures/unit_greek_elite_hoplite_greek.tga
model_sprite greek_cities, 60.0, data/sprites/greek_cities_greek_armoured_hoplite_sprite.spr
model_sprite carthage, 60.0, data/sprites/carthage_greek_armoured_hoplite_sprite.spr

type greek_armoured_hoplite2
skeleton fs_javelinman, fs_swordsman
indiv_range 40
texture dacia, data/models_unit/textures/UNIT_GREEK_ELITE_HOPLITE_CALLATIAN.TGA
model_sprite dacia, 60.0, data/sprites/greek_cities_greek_armoured_hoplite_sprite.spr

FILE.export_descr_unit_enums.txt

greek_hoplite
greek_hoplite_descr
greek_hoplite_descr_short

greek_hoplite_elite2
greek_hoplite_elite2_descr
greek_hoplite_elite2_descr_short

FILE.export_descr_buildings

construction 3
cost 1200
settlement_min large_town
upgrades
{
city_barracks
}
}
city_barracks requires factions { barbarian, ct_carthage, armenia, pontus,, egyptian, greek, roman, }
{
capability
{
recruit "greek hoplite" 0 requires factions { greek_cities, }
recruit "greek pikemen" 0 requires factions { thrace, seleucid, macedon, }
recruit "greek hoplite elite" 0 requires factions { greek_cities, }
recruit "greek hoplite elite2" 0 requires factions { dacia, }
recruit "roman city militia" 0 requires factions { roman, }
recruit "roman hastati" 0 requires factions { roman, } and not marian_reforms
recruit "roman infantry auxillia" 0 requires factions { roman, } and marian_reforms
recruit "roman princeps" 0 requires factions { roman, } and not marian_reforms
recruit "roman legionary cohort i" 0 requires factions { roman, } and marian_reforms
}

NOTE: I removed some units from the list so this post wouln't be to long :)

FILE.export_units.txt (in the data/text file)

¬----------------

{greek_hoplite_elite} Armoured Hoplites

{greek_hoplite_elite_descr}
Superior\nHardy\nCan Form Phalanx\nSapping Ability\n\nArmoured hoplites are an elite among Greek soldiery, carefully selected and given the best training to make them superior spearmen. Each of them is equipped with good body armour, greaves and a helmet and carries a large round shield, the hoplon that gives this kind of soldier the name of hoplite. Each man is also armed with a formidable thrusting spear called the xyston and a sword. They are usually employed as solid, close-packed groups of men, presenting a wall of spear points to the enemy. In phalanx formation, they use weight of numbers to batter into enemy formations.\n\nThey are vulnerable to flank and rear attacks, and ideally need some sort of light supporting troops to screen them as they approach the enemy.

{greek_hoplite_elite_descr_short}
Armoured hoplites are an elite among Greek soldiery, carefully selected and given the best training to make them superior spearmen.

¬----------------

{greek_hoplite_elite2} Armoured Callatians

{greek_hoplite_elite2_descr}
Superior\nHardy\nCan Form Phalanx\nSapping Ability\n\nThe Armoured Callatians are a small elite recruited as allies by the dacians. They are from three Greek old colonies from the shore of the Black Sea but they come mostly from the city Callatis. Carefully selected and given the best training to make them superior warriors. Each of them is equipped with good body armour, greaves and a helmet and carries a large round shield. Each man is also armed with a formidable throwing spear and a sword. They are usually employed as solid, close-packed close combat groups of men, since their combat style is very old from the time of Troy and Achile. They can't form a phalax formation.\n\nThey are very agressive in attacks, and ideally in the role of elite troops to take on the enemy head first.

{greek_hoplite_elite2_descr_short}
The Armoured Callatians are a small elite among Greek Black Sea Colonies soldiers, carefully selected and given the best training to make them superior close combat unit.

¬----------------

NOTE For a quik scroll of the text files use special words and pres Ctrl/F click find and you will drop over all the texts that have in them the "auxiliary" word in them for example...so you will not scroll like a mad man up and down the rows.

TIPS.When you make a modification that doesn't crash the game save that file and store it somewere.(This goes for Textures or 2D pics) So when you make a new modification that crashes the game you could go back were you stored the working file and start over again. Also take small steps in changeing text files ! Some unnatural changes to RTW style will crash the game or only the Imperial Campaign. You realy need to work in that style and keep in mind all that I have posted here. One small omission and you get the game to crash. For more questions pls. post in the Newbies Post Here Topic. not here so we keep this topic for education. Thanks for your attention.

The End result for the 2D & 3D work presented up:
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=247282

CenturionKillerzone
11-02-2004, 04:26
Hi Callation,

Thanks for the all the instruction so far. I never thought I could get into modding, but I'm finding I can with help such as you provide. ~:cheers:

I'd like to note that your fix to squallor only modifies the villa. In game after a higher level palace is built the bonuses disappear. I then modded my game to do the following:

Law and Trade bonus of 5 for house, 6 for the villa, 7 for the palace, 8 for the pro-consuls palace, and 9 for the imperial palace. I thought it was a more streamlined approach. :bow:

Also I've taken to reducing upkeep costs for troops. I developed my own formula based on the notion that supplies and training are the cost drivers for an army. The armor and weapons are paid for up front with the exception of missile troops which also include a factored in cost for arrowheads, javalin tips, ballista bolts etc. This way garrisons can be cheap.

Do you know of a tax_bonus per se? I feel that would be more appropriate than trade for the government buildings. Good luck with your mods! ~:)

Callatian
11-21-2004, 18:14
I'm sorry for not replaying I didnt get any notification and usualy I am www.twcenter.net in the workshop/the trivium organization forum.

Here are some more cool links for moding :

*Unit Editor and Building Editor:
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=13927

* Map Editor for RTW :
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=15665

*Moding RTW support comunity:
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/index.php?showforum=56

*How paint RTW textures and use PhotoShop 7 - Tutorials :
http://www.pslover.com/tutorials/Basics/1

*Downloads with all the stuff for RTW (from .CAS and pack extractors to mods and the rest of existing stuff)
http://www.twcenter.net/downloads/db/?cat_id=1

*A List of existing Mods updated Luvian:
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/index.php?s...opic=10285&st=0

As for your question...hmmm I can't remember...loll realy

Cirith-Ungol
02-11-2005, 03:43
where can you get Vercingetorix Tools ???

Andromachus Theodoulos
02-22-2005, 05:35
OK,

I do like the tutorials that many have put so much free time into. It is greatly appreciated.

I apologize ahead of time to everyone, I have only modded very little and I have never modded graphics.

I looked in this forum because I cannot afford 3D SMax (to modify models), and I really only want to begin with changing the "head" on the Greek Armored Hoplite to the "head" similar to the standard Greek Hoplite.

If I have read right, do I need to purchase Adobe Photoshop in order to modify the skin textures? I found that it was over $600.

Also do I need this program just to change shields used by a model or figure? (Ex. I want to equip Legionaries with the flat oval shield of the Auxilia instead of the Legionary scutum.)

Please help...

Thanks

Andromachus

Myrddraal
02-22-2005, 09:35
You don't need it strictly speaking. To edit textures, you need any program which can edit .dds files. I'm sure there must be some free editors on the net.

As for changing shields, you need 3dsmax. I also wish I had the great but greatly expensive program...

General Note: This sub forum are really for tutorials and questions related to the tutorial. If you have any general questions like these, ask in the general forum, people check there much more often, your questions will be answered quicker

snevets
06-24-2005, 23:40
Hey Callatian,
I'm a decently experianced texturer but am new to RTW. Your guide helped me learn how to edit the stats of a unit, thanks for that. My question however is, if all the steps in your guide are followed, plus texture and info card creation, should a faction specific unit appear in custom battle setup? If so, any thoughts on why it doesn't work for me or where I might look to find out? Thanks for any help you can provide,
Snevets

Epistolary Richard
06-25-2005, 09:41
snevets
I've answered your question in the General forum (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=48923). It's far better to post your questions there than in the Scriptorium as the General forum is visited more regularly by experienced RTW modders. In this case, as per his profile Callatian hasn't been around since the 6th April.