PDA

View Full Version : Your favourite unit online?

Taurus
07-10-2005, 08:33
Hi all, ~:)
Sorry if a similar thread has been posted before but I would like to know what your favourite unit is in mp and why? Why do you like it?
Also what do you think is the most useful unit in mp?

Personally, (at the minute anyway) my favourite unit is the carthaginian Sacred Band infantry, because they look cool, they are probably the second best pike unit in the game and they are virtually invincible against arrows.

So whats yours and why?

Thanks

tibilicus
07-10-2005, 12:00
Mine personly and i think cow likes them too: CATAPHRACTS. These bests can beat almost any other cav, can smash through infantry and can take out an enemys flank very quickly. Also they have good moral and there secondry wepon is good too. ~:)

Mongoose
07-10-2005, 12:05
What i like about them is that they can charge straight through phalanxs :wink:

tibilicus
07-10-2005, 12:06
Yes the buety of the inbalanced game that is RTW vanilla. Some times it really does surprise you how imbalanced it is. Now lets try a mod..................

Taurus
07-10-2005, 12:15
I agree with Cataphracts being a very cool unit, but I rarely use them. I think I will use them more often now though. ~:cheers:

Wishazu
07-10-2005, 20:15
Persian cav at the moment, fast, can shoot and okay in the late stages of battle as a decent reserve to flank etc.

Lord Preston
07-10-2005, 21:11
tib - cows favorite unit isn't cataphracts, i happen to know he has a soft spot for Eastern Infantry :dizzy2:

tibilicus
07-10-2005, 21:25
Only because he has a pair of pyjamas like them! ~D

NihilisticCow
07-10-2005, 22:46
How do you know what my pyjamas look like???

It did take me some time to find some that looked as cool as the Eastern Infantry's ones...

Go Eastern Infantry!

cunobelinus
07-11-2005, 15:55
my favourite is either bastarne or choosen axmen .i am a lover of infrantry and i do like phalanxs but i prefer men without spears.babrian men are amazing in my opinion and they are under rated in the game i think .

Wishazu
07-11-2005, 17:15
they are underrated cos they are hard to win with, when i say hard i mean it requires a little more skill to get the best out of them.

Arphaxad
07-17-2005, 13:23
I really like Barbarian infantry so ill have to pick Chosen axemen or swordsmen. I too am an infantry lover!! GO FOOTSOLDIERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jammin
07-22-2005, 16:10
I'll list my favourite unit of each category instead of just one because there are so many!
Infantry - Urbans because they are very tough - can form testudo and have wikid pilae. Can deal a lot of damage all by themselves :D
Cavalry - I prefer the Cataphracts for sure - but my ALL time favourite cav unit if the Armenian Cataphract General - catas with 2 hitpoints!! WOOHOO!
Archers - I'd say my favourite archer unit are chosen archer warbands. Not the strongest but they do deal a lot of punch in ranged and melee.

If I had to pick between the three for an all-time favourite it would be urbans.
Something about those romans...

But to be honest, the coolest looking unit in the game has got to be night raiders imo.

Jammin
07-22-2005, 16:15
The most useful unit in the game has got to be the spartans.
As without them, the greeks would be nothing.

Orda Khan
07-22-2005, 16:17
What i like about them is that they can charge straight through phalanxs

I suppose there is always MTW to fall back on then.....where cav swiped their way around the battlefield

......Orda

Taurus
07-22-2005, 16:29
I'll list my favourite unit of each category instead of just one because there are so many!
Infantry - Urbans because they are very tough - can form testudo and have wikid pilae. Can deal a lot of damage all by themselves :D
Cavalry - I prefer the Cataphracts for sure - but my ALL time favourite cav unit if the Armenian Cataphract General - catas with 2 hitpoints!! WOOHOO!
Archers - I'd say my favourite archer unit are chosen archer warbands. Not the strongest but they do deal a lot of punch in ranged and melee.

If I had to pick between the three for an all-time favourite it would be urbans.
Something about those romans...

But to be honest, the coolest looking unit in the game has got to be night raiders imo.

The most useful unit in the game has got to be the spartans.
As without them, the greeks would be nothing.

Yeah, Urbans are a good allround unit they can be used to do almost any job and there pila are amazing. I remember a battle once (yes Jimmy that battle ~;) ) where I witnessed a unit of 70 Chosen Swordsmen be reduced to 20 men with one volley of pila.

My personal favouite coolest looking unit has to be, Town Watch imo. also beserkers are cool.

Without Spartans the Greeks wouldn't be able to survive long thats for sure but after saying that those Armoured hoplites are pretty cool imo and could put up a fight. Also with the money saved from Spartans I can see some nice upgrades.

Thanks,
- Vip3r

~:cheers:

Craterus
07-22-2005, 22:07
Infantry - First Legionary Cohort (beat Urbans anyday)/Spartans
Missile - Foresters
Cavalry - Catas

Lord Preston
07-23-2005, 00:16
my favorite? onager... theres nothing like a flaming ball of fury hitting bang in the middle of a phalanx cirlce of spartans!

Wishazu
07-23-2005, 02:17
i prefer to obliterate testudo`s with the firepots :)

Taurus
07-23-2005, 07:12
...or the occasional shot of luck that hits a general ~D

Craterus
07-23-2005, 11:25
Shot of luck? I've seen that happen more times than could be deemed lucky..

King Ragnar
07-23-2005, 15:03
I love cataphract archers what a combination.

Taurus
07-24-2005, 09:36
As of late I have become rather drawn to all of Armenia's units. I dont know what it is about them but the combination of cheap, cool looking units is just amazing.

I love those Armenian Spearmen. ~:cheers:

Craterus
07-24-2005, 13:28
Armenia have Legionaries too, so they make a good faction with their advanced units.

Taurus
07-24-2005, 13:38
Yeah and because most of their units are reltivly cheap they allow for some nice upgrades.

xemitg
07-24-2005, 18:05
Armenia has some "ok" units but none as spectacular as some of the other factions.

Jammin
07-25-2005, 01:26
Armenia is my favourite faction save Rome.
Yes, their units may not be "uber" but that's what makes them attractive.
They aren't the uber faction to pick all the time yet, because they are cheap, their upgrades make them a challenging foe, especially in the right hands.
I'd rather have an army that is mediocre and use my brain to beat the opponent, then have an uber army and win easily even with huge mistakes.

Taurus
07-25-2005, 22:43
Armenia are well on there way to being my favourite faction. I pulled off some nice victories in mp earlier using Armenia, and I like there choice of units. They are a good faction all-round. ~:cheers:

Craterus
07-26-2005, 01:00
blah blah blah (see above post)

They're a great all-round faction, but so is Rome.

Praetorians are great cav, combined with urbans/first legionaries and you have an uber-army. Other good all-round factions: Germania, Macedon (they could do with better pikesmen) and Seleucids (Duh!).

Wishazu
07-26-2005, 02:14
...or the occasional shot of luck that hits a general ~D

one of my former clanmates, Beefy had a severe problem with this. his gens were forever being splattered by boulders. the funniest thing was it only ever killed the gen, leaving the rest of the unit completely unscathed lmao.

jacked
07-26-2005, 04:45
...or the occasional shot of luck that hits a general

That happened once to my clan mate in battle ~;)

Craterus
07-26-2005, 14:09
That was me :furious:
I think it was..

Taurus
07-26-2005, 16:20
Its never happened to me *touches wood* but I have seen it happen a lot of times to other less fortunate players.

RabidGibbon
07-27-2005, 01:05
When I played Multiplayer I used to love hosting a really low money game, and then taking a dozen or so Levy Pikemen. You take them out of Phalanx and then run the all forwards really quickly hitting phalanx (F) at the last minute. It confused the hell out of the enemy seing phalanx's running at him and looked cool too when all the spears dropped at the last minute.

So I suppose my favourite multiplayer unit is levy pikemen

Taurus
07-27-2005, 08:21
When I played Multiplayer I used to love hosting a really low money game, and then taking a dozen or so Levy Pikemen. You take them out of Phalanx and then run the all forwards really quickly hitting phalanx (F) at the last minute. It confused the hell out of the enemy seing phalanx's running at him and looked cool too when all the spears dropped at the last minute.

So I suppose my favourite multiplayer unit is levy pikemen

I have never had the chance to use Levy Pikemen in mp simply because I play games of about 12k to 15k, in which there is no real need for Levy Pikemen.

However, nice choice RabidGibbon ~:cheers: