PDA

View Full Version : Age of Warlords - Total War

The Blind King of Bohemia
07-14-2005, 13:28
I am pleased to now fully reveal my new project, Age of Warlords - Total War. It will feature a brand new map, recreated lovingly in the style of Medieval, and including for the first time in a Medieval - Total War mod Greenland and parts of North America!

https://img301.imageshack.us/img301/7424/americaoriginal9so.jpg

There will be two periods. They will be:

Angevin Ascendancy (starts 1153)

Algonquin Tribes
Dorset Eskimo
Norwegians
Danish
Kingdom of the Isles
Scots
English
Kingdom of Gwynedd
Kingdom of Deheubarth
Kingdom of Ulster (Northern Ui Neills)
Kingdom of Connaught
French
Brittany
County of Hainaut
HRE
Genoese
Papacy
Pisans
Castilian-Leonese
Aragonese

Trial by Battle and Fire (starts 1337)

English
French
Kingdom of the Isles
Skraeling Tribes
Norwegians
Danish
Scots
Kingdom of Ulster
Earldom of Desmond
Brittany
Flemish
Navarresse
Aragonese
Castilian-Leonese
Genoese
Papacy
HRE
Swiss
Burgundians
Milanese

Expect many new things, including:

* A host of new units, a good deal from the Super Mod plus a hell of a lot more besides
* New unit graphics, including new BIFs from the Skraeling units
* New graphics for factions, flags and shields and such
* New portraits, including Indian ones
* Possibly new agents and boats
* New campaign map pieces
* New names
* New battlemaps
* New heroes

Again, I'm sorry but GA mode is not possible.

Expect a release in September.

Here's some pics to whet the appetite:

https://img324.imageshack.us/img324/7048/angevin1bq.jpg

https://img301.imageshack.us/img301/4339/britain5wg.jpg

As you can clearly see, this is still a work in progress. Everything is far from final at this stage.

Duke Dick
07-14-2005, 16:26
looking good BKB, i'm actually really surpised that no-one has posted yet, as this looks like breaking the M:TW mod mold.

Iustinus
07-14-2005, 17:09
Hey BKB,
can you post a screenshot of the Skraelings when you get the chance?
Looks like an AWESOME mod. Let me know if you still need me to do maps. Is there a way to make specific maps for specific provinces? I think the HTW team had trouble with that- I'm pretty sure the campaign just uses random land maps that go with the description in the startpos file.
Thanks!
Justin

07-14-2005, 17:28
Yes Iustinius you are indeed integral to my plans so I'd appreciate your help. I'm pretty sure you can do specific castle maps for some reason, though don't quote me on that. If we get rid of desert textures we may be able to get them for American only using the region attributes section though no?

I'll send you a PM with more info. Your work on the Arthur mod was amazing BTW, love those new sounds.

Crusader4thepeople
07-14-2005, 17:49
This mod is awesome, BKB this is one of a kind, as rather then a changed map if MTW or a "close up" map (like in VI) but a completely new map created in the style of MTW. The new factions sound great, especially the Eskimos, cant wait to see those

Iustinus
07-14-2005, 18:07
Thanks BKB!
There is one problem with using the desert graphics- weather is hardcoded (from my experience) so you get sandstorms, the men tire more quickly, there is no snow, rain, or fog and somehow even if you make a map thickly forested, most of the trees don't show.
This really sucks because most mods don't need the desert maps and you get two landscapes that would be great to change, but they can't be changed fully!
And unfortunately, Lush and Temperate use the same backdrops and ground textures, just different trees, so if you mod one you are modding the other. This only leaves Arid as an option for modding landscapes, unless you have a Mediterranean based mod (and the only Mediterranean parts of this mod that I can see on the map are for the most part not Arid.) I think I know what you are talking about with the castle maps.
If you want to do seperate bird sounds for North American maps, I've got that set, you only need to choose the landscape we can turn North american.
Thanks!
Justin

07-14-2005, 18:09
Thanks Iustinius I'm sure we could use arid. It'd be a dreadful shame not to have some new stuff for America so we're gonna have to at least give it a try anyway.

edyzmedieval
07-14-2005, 21:32
There's a lot to work BKB.... Just think, the Channel Island have their specialty: Bulgarian Brigands :laugh:

Just joking, good job BKB!!!!
Can't wait for it....

Pericles
07-14-2005, 21:39
Excellent work!

Looking forward to this puppy...

King of Atlantis
07-15-2005, 08:06
BKB you are great ~:cheers: !

skeletor
07-15-2005, 11:38
Ayay - Skraeling unit's.

Just an idea... Couldn't you make the desert sand whiter, and the sandstorms whiter? You then get snow with snowstorms?

Then you give the appropriate unit's the desert bonus, and call it snowbonus.
Regular unit's wold tire in heavy snow as well as in a desert, so that woldn't be a problem..

-Skel-

07-15-2005, 13:20
A friend kindly made a site about the mod. You can check it out here:

Warlords web site (http://jonno394.tripod.com/enter.htm)

It features some new pics that I sent him and will be good for new info as things progress.

Duke Dick
07-15-2005, 15:11
Thats a pretty neat site BKB, and some good pics and information as well.

Does this mean the site will be the main source for information; or will it be a sort of additional content site, with the main crux being posted here on the org, but the site would go into more detail?

Iustinus
07-15-2005, 17:34
Hey!
The mod is really looking great.
On sandstorms, unless someone knows how to mod weather, I think the sandstorms are unmoddable. While I can make a white, snowy landscape, it would look strange when suddenly reddish dust starts flying through the air....
I went on the new Age of Warlords website and saw a screenshot from what appeared to be an unfinished mod, the Ottoman Invasion. Even unfinished, does anyone know whether there is a place to download this?
Justin
P.S.
BKB, I'm getting started on maps for Iceland, Greenland, and North America- Iceland will be basically devoid of trees.

07-15-2005, 20:58
I went on the new Age of Warlords website and saw a screenshot from what appeared to be an unfinished mod, the Ottoman Invasion. Even unfinished, does anyone know whether there is a place to download this?

I'm afraid it was never released - just a small personal project really.

Wow you're getting started already fantastic. I'm sure anything you produce will be great.

Duke Dick
07-15-2005, 23:14

I purposefully added that in to tease you guys, BKB is a very ambitious modder.

barocca
07-16-2005, 05:40
Is there a way to make specific maps for specific provinces? I think the HTW team had trouble with that- I'm pretty sure the campaign just uses random land maps that go with the description in the startpos file.

now you are going to have to bear with me on this, it has been 2 years since i researched this stuff, so i am running on faded memory cells,
edit - checked and missed SIX type ones!! - i have never used the types, so this should be EASY now!!!

this is the gist of how the map system works

there are terrain types that can be declared as borders,

these can be put into four terrain categories,
and castles (a special case - more on castles later)

terrain categories

==type one==
PLAINS, FLAT, HILLY, MOUNTAIN, FLT2HLL, HLL2FLT, HLL2MNT ,MNT2HLL, FLT2MNT, MNT2FLT

FLT2PLN, PLN2FLT, HLL2PLN, PLN2HLL, PLN2MTN, MTN2PLN

==type two==
Inland, Coastal

==type three==
River

==type four==
DESERT, Steppes

type one - 160 variants
type two are modifiers, a map must be of type one, and must be either Inland or Coastal UNLESS it is desert or steppe
(HAVE NOT tested what happens if a map is NEITHER coastal or hilly - may be more options IF excluding coastal/hilly WORKS)
type three is an additional option
type four are an old design - no longer can be activated in startpos scripts

NOW
when i made Shog Mod beta 5 i found several "type mixes" that the dev's had ALLOWED for in hardcode, but had NOT ACTUALLY used when making MTW.
SO it may be possible to mix and match the combo's a lot more than (thus far) seems to be the case.

SO how many maps??
not sure BUT
using the SIXTEEN type one declarations, plus giving each it's coatal or inland gives us 34 maps right away
then ANOTHER 34 if we give each a river
so thats 64 distinct maps before we look any further

at this time it looks like that may be it,
i am looking at wether we can use more modifyers,
but thus far no joy

SO WHAT ABOUT "PlainsInlandRiver01, PlainsInlandRiver02 etc etc???
they are just mapgroups, so you dont fight the same map for the same province,

CA's original plan was to be able to set the map subdirectory,
but it looks like that was not implimented,

CA also planned for a "mapgroup", but that does not appear to have been implemented

NOW I AM FAIRLY CERTAIN MTW DOES NOT CARE if borders dont "match" backwards and forwards

just because province one to province two if hilly to flat, that does not mean province two to province one needs to be flat to hilly!!!

so if we make all the borders ENTERING a province the same and make ONLY ONE map of that type, then we will always fight battle ENTERING that province on the same map
BUT
rebellions dont use border maps,
that means we cannot make ALL battles in a province on the same map, but all engagements between enemies, sure, we can do that.

castlemaps

these are something special, and so many mods DONT understand them,
SOME you can predfine, by giving names in startpos - so you can fight specific castles,
but wether you use terrain or name
they are ALL LINKED to the tech tree!!!
the number at the end are VERY important

three main types,
CASTLEFLAT, CASTLEPLAINS, CASTLEHILLY
(((have not tested coastal/inland/desert/steppe/mountain)))

2 of the 3 numbers at the end are linked to the tech tree

TECH TREE HAS CASTLE NUMBER AND UPGRADE LIMITS
maximum the Tech Tree/Map will accept is 7 and 1, being 7 castles and 1 upgrade,
but you can exchange less castle for more upgrades
(IE: you can have 5 castles, with three upgrades,)
MAYBE you can have more upgrades, but IF i remember rightly the total of Castles Plus Upgrades must be eight OR LESSl
---this requires testing, my memory IS vague on upgrades, but maximum castles is DEFINATLEY seven---

CASTLEFLAT05_1_0
First number is randomiser (can have 01,02, ad infinitum)
([i]First number can also be "set" in SetCastleNumGroups::,
the plan was for the game to limit itself to the "set" number and ignore the rest, i cannot recall if that actually works or not)

Second number is Tech Level
Third number is Upgrade Level

second and third number must match tech tree possibilities, else you will get the default "lumpy map"

you will ALSO get the default "lumpy map" if you use a terrain border crossing that the devs did not make a map for!

so we can definately make 64 unique province maps FOR "MEETING BATTLES",
but not for rebellions,

how many province you have BKB??

cheers,
B.

barocca
07-16-2005, 06:01
BKB, I'm getting started on maps for Iceland, Greenland, and North America- Iceland will be basically devoid of trees.

i think arid is used for steppe maps - not sure,
so you could possibly use arid tileset for iceland
(replace the arid tiles with "winter" tiles from lush folder)
requires testing

B.

07-16-2005, 13:59
Thanks for the help Barocca.

how many province you have BKB??

107, the maximum amount.

So must arid go then? I was looking at Spain and according to the map those areas would be quite arid. If so I might leave the attributes and borders until we're clear on this.

So what determines the architecture used? For the Indian factions I was going to use the Viking Invasion style wooden settlements is this possible? In region attributes in the startpos you can designate the type of architecture used on the map. Could Islamic double for the Indian ones if we make the correct maps?

Iustinus
07-16-2005, 22:07
Hey Barocca, BkB and everyone,
I have modified basically all the tile sets in the game (as well as many sky graphics) and have found that the desert environments- both rock desert and sand desert, are basically impossible to mod- yes you change the trees and tiles, but since most of the tiles somehow become treeless you have very treeless mods. And, I have no idea how you would stop the sandstorms or edit them to look like snow.
Arid seems to contain the same number of trees as lush. The difference is that there is no seperate winter tiles and trees for arid, and during the winter you get mixed precipitation. Weather seems to be unmoddabe- you can change the weather file but after a game everything you modified is changed right back.
So, for a North American map, you wouldn't need anything different then lush (or temperate) the only problem is, if you want to get into details, bird sounds would need a completely seperate landscape.
For a night mod, I have found through many tests that Arid works best.
I have to go,
Justin

barocca
07-16-2005, 23:21
we may be limited to type one with coast/inland/river/no-river modifers only

still testing

trying to get the game to look in the vikings maps folder first

at this moment i am unable to get tell the game which folder to look in
perhaps the viking expansion allows that

for medieval campaigns it goes to the map folder

VI campaigns - not sure, it uses the vi-castle maps ok,

more testing to be done
B.

NOTE - i have edited post number 17 with all we know so far

07-17-2005, 21:57
Can people give me a hand with something?

I'm looking for suitable American Indian portraits and have found a few so far, but nowhere near enough. What I really need is artwork rather than real photos. Something in the vein of this, with these types of Indians also:

http://www.artlex.com/delahunt/Images/03mohawk/A0.jpg

I zoom in and cut and they look pretty good. Here's one I've done so far:

https://img291.imageshack.us/img291/3461/indian58mu.png

Pericles
07-17-2005, 22:32
Here's a few sites:

http://www.imagesofeyes.com/torres.htm

http://www.garylessord.com/nativeamerican.html

Search by database:

http://www.statemuseum.arizona.edu/coll/averydb/default.asp

Iustinus
07-17-2005, 23:27
Hey BKB
Ha, those paintings are based on reenactors I know, Robert Griffing is a great artist. Just look up Robert Griffing in google image search, and you'll get many, many good pictures- though they are 18th century. (However, the red paint and roach can pass for most precontact woodland indians.) The links to pictures were nice but too modern or western.
If you want original early 17th century paintings and sketches I can find you some, but most look funny and you cannot compare them to the quality of Griffing for a mod.
Justin

07-17-2005, 23:35
I have just found a site with loads of his work and they look great i have to say ~D

peacedude
07-18-2005, 01:59
That is truely awesome! I cant wait till it comes out! ~:cheers:
All Hail BKB!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

beauchamp21
07-18-2005, 02:28
omg, i seriously am drooling at the site of your new mod!
Good luck and i will look forward to testing it out!!!!!!!!!!!!

barocca
07-18-2005, 05:08
how many land regions BKB?
B.

Aldaceleb
07-18-2005, 05:54
Just one question. Are Algonquian tribes "stereotype indians" or historical eastern algonquians that lived there that time(Micmacs for example)?

"Here's a few sites:

Search by database:

http://www.statemuseum.arizona.edu/...ydb/default.asp"

Those sites are reaaallly bad and unhistorical btw. ~;)

07-18-2005, 10:09
Aldaceleb, I know you had the Beothuks, Micmacs, Naskapi-Montagnais, etc. inhabiting this region, but it would be impossible to do these all as factions. They will basically go under Algonquin as a united banner for the North-Eastern tribes. Their units will reflect the various tribes that come under the bracket.

107 Barocca, the max amount.

barocca
07-18-2005, 10:59
well as far as i can determine we can only make 64 unique map types

NOW
if you determine which provinces are very important, likely to be fought for a lot,
then we can make a select number of border maps for those provinces,

and have the remaining types available for all other provinces,
we can of course make sets for regions/areas,

research is continuing on adding other map types to the set,
but frankly, given what appear to be hardcode parameters, dont hold your breath

still - some is better than none
B.

GoreBag
07-18-2005, 17:04
Will there be much focus on conquering the eastern end of North America, or will the native American factions be more interested in crossing the Atlantic? If the latter is the case, then perhaps an "amalgated" Algonquin faction isn't necessary.

07-18-2005, 17:47
I don't really want to encourage the Indians to cross the Atlantic....that will take a long time for them to do, and will be a rare occurrance. They're main job will be the fend off invaders. America will be a very tough area to take.

Duke Dick
07-18-2005, 22:54
Ah come on, i know we all(including you BKB) want to see a host of Natives landing in Ireland, only to be confronted with gunpowder, cavalry and whit men.

Aldaceleb
07-19-2005, 06:09
My point was just that algonquians should not be "Hollywood Indians"

Pericles
07-19-2005, 12:50
Just one question. Are Algonquian tribes "stereotype indians" or historical eastern algonquians that lived there that time(Micmacs for example)?

"Here's a few sites:

Search by database:

http://www.statemuseum.arizona.edu/...ydb/default.asp"

Those sites are reaaallly bad and unhistorical btw. ~;)

Hi

Unhistorical?

Most of the artists on those sites are native Indians ;)

Hopefully, you will be able to provide more historical sites and paintings.

:bow:

SkyElf
07-20-2005, 09:13
Look's like it will be an interesting Mod to try out. Looking forward to it's finish. ~:)

07-21-2005, 18:03
Just a quick update - things are coming along nicely. The Tuscans have been replaced by the Pisans, complete with new shield graphics.

Paul Peru
07-21-2005, 19:22
~:cheers:
I'm looking forward to trying you new mod, BKB!
And there's a new MedMod happening as well :balloon2:
The old warhorse called MTW still stirs when properly flogged. ~:)

07-29-2005, 20:35
Work's progressing nicely. All the necessary buildings and units from the Super Mod are in and I'm working on new ones. Some, like the Indians, are being saved for the time being. Here's a sneak peak at some so far, hope you enjoy them:

Maine Spearmen:

https://img64.imageshack.us/img64/2937/000000035bm.jpg

Breton Cavalry (sorry about the flag - only temporary!)

https://img64.imageshack.us/img64/9206/000000049oe.jpg

Melee featuring Norman Archers and Norman Light Cavalry. Breton Militia return from the Super Mod:

https://img128.imageshack.us/img128/9880/000000087sj.jpg

Of course this is all unfinished....the Almohad flag has already gone and the unit battle icons will be made. Its just a taster of many of the new units to come. ~:cheers:

Radier
07-30-2005, 08:45
Looks really good! ~:cheers:

DeadRunner
07-31-2005, 13:57
well another reason of stil have the medieval in the pc.
Once again bkb strikes with a good idea :bow: .

But Portugal is not in the mod :bigcry: :bigcry:

SkyElf
08-02-2005, 07:14
Screen shots look great can't wait to give it a try! Great Work!! ~:cheers:

beauchamp
08-08-2005, 02:39
Comepletely exicted!
I have one question, what is the time period listed for this mod?
It would be awsome if you could extend the mod to the 1600's or even 1700's so you could get troops from the 30 years war etc. Although, with the elongated map it might be tough :embarassed: but whatever.

Helgi
08-24-2005, 18:46
Looks fantastic, gives me yet another reason to keep MTW, if it plays as well as BKB's SuperMod (which is one of the best MTW Mods beside NAP:TW.

tutankamon
09-12-2005, 10:34
Looks super!!!!!! can't wait! when is it finnished?

09-12-2005, 10:48
I'm in the process of starting on the Indian units and hopefully they should be done soon. The rest of the units for all of the other factios in the early period or AA are done.

09-17-2005, 17:55
The Indian unit pics will be posted sometime tonight as the mod is reaching the stage with adding buildings and then hopefully balancing the campaign map soon after for the early period. Most of the units are done but the units are not balanced yet.

Radier
09-17-2005, 18:06
Wow you are fast... ~:cheers: Can´t wait to play the mod.

11-07-2005, 13:32
Its taking longer than I thought....so much Uni work! I'll try my best to get it out for Christmas but lets wait and see. In the mean time, here's some pics:

Assorted Kingdom of the Isles soldiers, including Shetland Levies and Orkneyjar Infantry line up for battle:

https://img339.imageshack.us/img339/9315/000000241de.jpg

The Norse settlers attempt a daring raid into Inner Greenland:

https://img339.imageshack.us/img339/7630/000000961hk.jpg

Some Greenland Settlers attempt to hold the line against the oncoming Skraeling hordes:

https://img339.imageshack.us/img339/5921/000000754bm.jpg

The aftermath is a telling one for the Dorset Eskimo:

https://img339.imageshack.us/img339/8091/000001043jm.jpg

The situation in the British Isles is a precarious one:

https://img339.imageshack.us/img339/5845/000001075fk.jpg

One of the many new buildings, Foundations. This will reduce fort price and building time:

https://img254.imageshack.us/img254/7244/000001117vx.jpg

The Indian units are edited slightly from the Hellenic mod, with new weapons and shields. I've tried contacting the Hellenic guys but to no avail - if you're reading this boys, hope you're ok with it!

Again, not everything is final.

Radier
11-07-2005, 14:04
~:eek:

Wow... That´s realy incredible!

tutankamon
11-07-2005, 17:58
As I would have said WOW ~:eek: when do plan to release it BKB

Asterion
11-07-2005, 19:00
Its taking longer than I thought....so much Uni work! I'll try my best to get it out for Christmas but lets wait and see.

just a couple of posts ago ~;)

cegorach
11-10-2005, 13:05
One of the mods I am waiting to play.

I really envy these new campaign maps BKB ! :hide: ~:grouphug:

11-10-2005, 13:08
Thanks for the kind words. Ceg, didn't get a chance to say it on the thread in the main hall but the Pike and Musket mod looks fantastic. Well done mate~:cheers:

tutankamon
12-05-2005, 09:18
some time has past since you last posted in here... how are things going

12-05-2005, 14:14
I'm really busy with work at the moment at uni and have just moved house up in Manchester which has set me back a bit. Work is going slow but i'm confident when i have some free time a Beta will be released soon

william the bastard
01-06-2006, 21:43
hope to see you soon back with a beta. "real life" was so attractive.~:yin-yang:

01-06-2006, 21:47
Don't worry mate I'm still working on it, hope to have it finished by Easter.

william the bastard
01-06-2006, 22:02
good to hear !! Thanks mate

cegorach
01-07-2006, 12:00
Don't worry mate I'm still working on it, hope to have it finished by Easter.

Good to hear !

BTW I have just seen Boondock Saints (after almost 1 year of searching) - real crusaders, I must add. :knight:

axel
03-08-2006, 17:11
hi mate did nt now you done this mod also mate is this a campain mod also mate??? and do you got a link for this to download mate ~;)

03-08-2006, 18:22
Nothing yet mate I'm still working on it hopefully it will be out soon.

axel
03-09-2006, 08:51
ok mate ill be waithing ~;)

edyzmedieval
05-09-2006, 14:08
Any news BKB? ~D

05-12-2006, 19:46
I'm starting work on the mod again after loads of work. I'll try to post some pics over the next few days as i'm ready to fly back into modding again

Aenlic
05-12-2006, 19:52
Run for the hills! Run awaaaaaay! Er... wrong paradigm...

That's great news BKB! Looking forward to it!

axel
06-25-2006, 12:33
hi mate got somme new screenies or cane i help with sommething:2thumbsup: i am not a expert with modding but maybe i cane do somme thing else

06-27-2006, 14:50
Its still coming mate not long now I suppose I could post new screens if you want them.

axel
06-27-2006, 15:44
would be great mate:2thumbsup:

Radier
06-27-2006, 18:24
I want them too... ~:cheers:

Samurai Waki
06-27-2006, 20:01
I still have Vanilla MTW/VI Installed just waiting for this mod to be released :2thumbsup:

HahnHolio
07-14-2006, 23:23
hm....yeah...looks interesting, if its still going !?

greetz

HahnHolio

07-15-2006, 10:49
Definitely - I've come up with an idea that is fairly unique to the mod at the minute and I'm implementing as we speak. I'm hoping Angevin Ascendancy at least will be out by mid next month.

Radier
07-15-2006, 14:23
Wow, that's cool. Eagerly awaits... :2thumbsup:

axel
07-22-2006, 00:06
Hi mate thats real great ill looking forwart to this game :2thumbsup:

07-24-2006, 23:36
Right here are those pics I promised.

The first is an example of the new facshields - every faction now has proper facshields where appropriate. Here are Brittany's:

https://img245.imageshack.us/img245/7299/brittanynr3.jpg

And here's an example of the new Indian stuff. As you can see, I have made many new buildings and units for them so they will have an entirely different tech tree:

https://img293.imageshack.us/img293/4714/indiantitleew0.jpg

https://img45.imageshack.us/img45/6921/huntingfieldyh7.jpg

https://img293.imageshack.us/img293/7778/canoeqc6.jpg

Here's some of the normal new buildings - two are exclusive to the Irish factions while the English are the only faction to start off with Scutage:

https://img293.imageshack.us/img293/667/scutageng7.jpg

https://img45.imageshack.us/img45/9050/risingoutcl6.jpg

https://img293.imageshack.us/img293/2282/cattlebk6.jpg

Also a new religion has been added for the County of Toulouse faction - I'm sure you can guess what it is:

https://img117.imageshack.us/img117/887/catharnq8.jpg

And finally the new feature I was talking about. Well it works around a 'Unique Faction Building' type thing - each faction (bar the Indians) gets a famous building/town/port/religious monument that was very important to them either for political/religious/economic reasons in a specific province. I don't want you to be able to construct these again when you lose them, so I've made them really expensive and they take ages to build, so it makes it very important that you hold onto them. They all bring in revenue, give bonuses for morale and increase the happiness, loyalty and religious following by loads in the area, so are well worth holding onto and probably crucial to your faction's fate. Here's some of the Celtic ones:

https://img293.imageshack.us/img293/2133/ynysjd9.jpg

https://img117.imageshack.us/img117/2828/sconebt0.jpg

https://img117.imageshack.us/img117/1347/taraqp7.jpg

https://img45.imageshack.us/img45/7921/ionaiu5.jpg

I hope you all enjoyed this preview. As you can see the mod has progressed a lot. I'd say Angevin is about 75% done (needs heroes/famous kings, descriptions, balancing, few more things) and it should be done by August. All of the above is still a WIP though, so please ignore some of the spelling/grammatical errors as there's still much work needs doing before the final product (August release will be a BETA).

Radier
07-25-2006, 07:58
Great preview! Both me and my little brother want this fine piece of meat.

~:cheers:

cegorach
07-25-2006, 09:34
Impressive !:balloon2:

You did use Orthodox religion slot for the Catharists - I assume ?

The superstructures are also very interesting - one level unique building I think.

Are there any special buildings prepared for colonisation only - by setting a certain resource as the required one and present in America only you could limit their availability.

Anyway waiting for the release of the mod, maybe there is something I can assimilate to PMTW 2.0.:2thumbsup: :idea2:

07-25-2006, 10:28
Impressive !:balloon2:

You did use Orthodox religion slot for the Catharists - I assume ?

The superstructures are also very interesting - one level unique building I think.

Are there any special buildings prepared for colonisation only - by setting a certain resource as the required one and present in America only you could limit their availability.

Anyway waiting for the release of the mod, maybe there is something I can assimilate to PMTW 2.0.:2thumbsup: :idea2:

Yeah it was Orthodoxy I used mate, I think I'll use Islam for Paganism for the Indians so it gives me more options.

At the moment I'm kind of using all the resources for their normal purpose - its a good idea but to be honest I don't really want to encourage the factions to go over to America straight away. If it was a mod set in your period it would definitely be something worth considering.:idea2:

cegorach
07-25-2006, 13:37
Yeah it was Orthodoxy I used mate, I think I'll use Islam for Paganism for the Indians so it gives me more options.

=========> Perhaps Totemism or Animalism would be a good name.

At the moment I'm kind of using all the resources for their normal purpose - its a good idea but to be honest I don't really want to encourage the factions to go over to America straight away. If it was a mod set in your period it would definitely be something worth considering.:idea2:

I have used it in a different way for 'make your own country' structures.:2thumbsup:

axel
07-25-2006, 20:13
verry nice mate verry nice you need info about hero s and indiaans ?????
i cane look if i cane find sommething if you like ??

Pericles
07-27-2006, 22:27
Excellent work!

However, I notice that some of the Unique Faction Buildings have a cost of 100,000 vs 10,000 for others. Is this just a typo?

Looking forward to this :)

08-09-2006, 23:33
Few more pics. Progress is coming along very nicely now.

https://img195.imageshack.us/img195/3559/arcticsh6.jpg

https://img195.imageshack.us/img195/9374/battleoq6.jpg

https://img221.imageshack.us/img221/2535/clothvj3.jpg

https://img87.imageshack.us/img87/9934/fightnd5.jpg

https://img87.imageshack.us/img87/6517/indianswr4.jpg

https://img99.imageshack.us/img99/6839/lastchargefw5.jpg

https://img99.imageshack.us/img99/5648/meleeit8.jpg

https://img335.imageshack.us/img335/6408/nidaroszt5.jpg

https://img335.imageshack.us/img335/9022/portbh1.jpg

axel
08-10-2006, 15:21
woow real nice mate real nice

Radier
08-10-2006, 16:44
Very nice. Love the unique buildings/places.

cegorach
08-10-2006, 19:28
Great work BKB, this mod is more and more interesting !

BTW I have 'stolen' the idea with one, unique, special building for Cetinje Monastery for Montenegro faction added in the patch:juggle2: The general use is similar, but it will also allow training troops for this faction, their very rare, special cavalry.:book:

I am curious do you use any undestructable structures for a different purpose than originally ?:inquisitive:

08-10-2006, 19:50
Can you have undestructable buildings do you know?

Also, I'm thinking I might use that 'Salt' resource idea to limit certain buildings in America so factions can't pump out loads of units. Mind you I went over their the other day as Connaught and I got smashed, they can get cheap units with low support costs and they just churn men out, I was up against thousands!

cegorach
08-10-2006, 20:06
Can you have undestructable buildings do you know?

:inquisitive:
I don't really get it, what do you mean ? I am not English native speaker so I might have little problems from time to time...:inquisitive:

Also, I'm thinking I might use that 'Salt' resource idea to limit certain buildings in America so factions can't pump out loads of units. Mind you I went over their the other day as Connaught and I got smashed, they can get cheap units with low support costs and they just churn men out, I was up against thousands!

True. Good idea, but in MTW there are severla resources to use - I have left only Gold in the end as valuable metal deposits in the end - the rest was used for settlers ( colonial structures like Dutch East India), corsairs, barbary coast pirates, balcan people, german province.
Hmm Do you know if it is possible to activate LEAD as it can be done with FOREST resource ?:inquisitive:

08-10-2006, 22:20
I don't think so mate.

Sorry just to clarify I meant is it possible to make buildings indestructable?

cegorach
08-11-2006, 06:13
It is quite simple with those which are made undestructable in the game already - I don't know how to add more similar buildings or if it is possible at all.
I know that Forest Clearing and Warrior Hold are impossible to destroy, so the whole thing is to use these structures with their original names ( the names can be translated into something else, but the incoded name must be the same) for a different use.
There is one thing to remember the structures cannot be directly restricted to some factions, because this way they would be destroyed by anyone else.

So the structures must be made buildable by everyone and can't be limited to any specifick religion.

Still it is possible to limit their availability by setting build requirements - so only some factions would have the access this way, even if in theory everyone can build the structure.
In PMTW I have used Forest_Clearing as Trade Center - impossible to build ( the structure's building requirements are so limited, thet only one faction would be able to construct the center, but it already starts with one) and acting as another, more complicated resource i.e. in theory you can recruit Town Militia everywhere, but it requires Trade Center which noone really can build so its recruitment is limited this way.
Besides setting this structure as a starting one and impossible to build offers more opportunities than any ordinary resource e.g. it could increase mercenary magnetism, lower happiness ( so more soldiers have to be ude to occupy it) and do other things, even generate income if desired - however with the last thing there is a hardcoded limit which could cause CTDs if a province has too many different structures generating income as I have learnt to my cost.

Generally Forest Clearing offers many opportunities to use, I am not so sure with the Warrior Hold - I am not sure if this one is safe to use, besides for now I have no idea what to use that for.

Regards Cegorach :2thumbsup:

08-11-2006, 08:32
however with the last thing there is a hardcoded limit which could cause CTDs if a province has too many different structures generating income as I have learnt to my cost.

VERY interesting - do you know how many that is? I've been having some unaccountable crashes and this could well be the reason. If so, you're a lifesaver.

cegorach
08-11-2006, 09:08
It took me some frustrating time to find out I minimalised the risk by making severla income generating structures unique, binding some to certain resources or other unique buildings so they rarely appear in the same place and removing the income produced by cathedrals and similar.
I am not sure about the maximum number, but at least 5 must be ok - all of these have several levels.
I believe it is the number of entries in crusader_build which is important so these 5 or so may have any number of levels each.:book:

I suggest to set the startpos in one particular province with all possible upgrades if checking the province income ( right mouse button) causes CTD remove one building and try again. I have experimanted this way for some time to make sure that it is all right, but still my trade centres lost its cathedral_income completely.:juggle2:

axel
09-01-2006, 12:28
hi mate you got somme more screenshots mate i cant waith to play it :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup:

09-01-2006, 12:31
I'll post a few pics later mate

axel
09-01-2006, 23:13
thx mate ~:) :bow:

Riadach
09-02-2006, 19:06
Excellent idea for a mod, brilliant. Just the irish map, some provinces seem unnecassarily small. Ulster seems fine, but connacht should reach at least into the centre (in fact with the progression of Uí Chonchubair client of Breifne a sliver of it should run along the border with Aileach, nearly reaching the east coast) Mumha (Munster) as well should reach the centre of the map, and should include that small peninsula jutting out of the south of Connacht. But its looking very well. Love the north american tribal units, and being able to build tara etc.

edit: looking through your maps you new the in tuaiscert/aileach bit already. You've done your research anyway :-)

09-03-2006, 17:20
Unfortunately mate I can't revise the borders now but I'm glad you liked it. You have a PM by the way.

Riadach
09-03-2006, 17:55
ah shame, but it won't be a great loss i suppose.

Duke Dick
09-03-2006, 18:14
I see the Site (http://jonno394.tripod.com/enter.htm) Has been renovated BKB.

Some good quality stealing from Totalwar.com there mate!

When can we expect the webmaster(ie me) to get pics and information for updates?

09-03-2006, 18:17
Cheers mate, a lot of good work has gone into that.

Riadach
09-03-2006, 19:46
Do you need names from irish boast/ships? Where did you get the Uí Néill faction flag from?

Biggus Diccus
09-04-2006, 16:06
This mod is looking really promising! Can't wait to try it out :D

axel
09-13-2006, 21:03
Any new new s mate:bow: :bow: :bow:

09-13-2006, 22:42
The first period is very close to being complete, its basically descriptions, famous kings, balancing and a few bugs to iron out now.

axel
09-14-2006, 15:33
wooow cool mate i cant hardly waith mate :2thumbsup:

10-10-2006, 18:31
For those wondering I've decided to finish the second period as well before releasing Age of Warlords, rather than release the first one now. I think it will allow me to iron out bugs better and balance the game properly. It won't take as long as the first period though, no way.

danfda
10-11-2006, 14:19
Sounds good. I'm looking forward to it. :2thumbsup:

satchef1
10-12-2006, 14:29
good news ~D was begining to think this mod had died

axel
10-13-2006, 15:38
cool mate:2thumbsup:

Arciel
10-16-2006, 15:26
All right! Great job there BKB! Just a quick question- for what version of MTW/VI is this for?

10-16-2006, 19:45
Just need Viking Invasion mate, patched if you want but it isn't entirely necessary.

Arciel
10-17-2006, 05:02
Great then! I'm eagerly awaiting the release of this one!!

axel
11-01-2006, 22:48
Hi mate
hows it going mate ? any news or screenies:yes: :yes:
is modding dificult? is it easy to learn mate?and wot do i need to mod ? becose i wos wondering if i got mod , but i dont now how :no:
wel mate i hope your ok :2thumbsup:

axel
11-22-2006, 16:39
hi mate how is the mod do you have new screenshots??:2thumbsup:

Kierkegaard
11-22-2006, 16:44
i am waiting this mod too!! BKB, perhaps you could post some screenshots?

11-22-2006, 17:35
I haven't had a chance to really work on it as i've been kept busy with work. But i will post somes pics if i get the chance

axel
11-22-2006, 23:23
Would be great mate i am really waithing for this mod and i am still playing BKB mod in the meenwhile:yes: :yes:

axel
12-21-2006, 23:33
any news mate??? i hope so :2thumbsup:
well mate i wish you a merry X-mas~:santa: ~:snowman:

Koval
01-11-2007, 11:08
Very eagerly awaiting this mod.... If this is anything like your Super Mod, it will be truly great. The Super Mod still has me playing MTW quite frequently, even after i had obtained M2:TW.
My only grievance is that there will be much less, if not any modding effort going into MTW with the release of its shiny new 'successor'.

naut
01-13-2007, 14:04
Looking Great.

axel
02-04-2007, 11:25
Hi mate
Any news ???? :yes:

Bartix
04-18-2007, 08:29
Hi mate
Any news ???? :yes:
Any news at all?:juggle2:
I have to play m2 while i wait :laugh4:

(It is nice m2, but this mod looking very interesting)

04-18-2007, 10:23
Its coming very soon guys - I just had a hankering to add the Lordship of Galloway, hence the delay. So there's an extra faction now. I must say I'm very excited about it, I think a lot of people are going to enjoy this one.

I appreciate your patience on this.

barocca
04-18-2007, 13:43
:2thumbsup: :birthday2: :couch: :fishbowl: ~:wave: :elephant:
:bow:
B.

Deus ret.
04-18-2007, 16:29
Yay! Go Age of Warlords!

Looking forward to playing it :2thumbsup:

04-18-2007, 17:01
Glad you're looking forward to it. Just to let you know the kind of pressure you can expect to face. I had overextended my forces invading northern England (Gwynedd actually got involved in Cumbria) when low and behold the worst happens back at home:

https://img157.imageshack.us/img157/8846/fergusjb6.jpg

Clearly not expecting this, I believe I pulled back to my castle at this point, but it was clear the Scots were looking to finish me off once and for all:

https://img443.imageshack.us/img443/8559/lochlanner2.jpg

I gave the battle everything. And just when it looked as though Galloway was once again under the strict control of the Canmore kings, this happened:

https://img443.imageshack.us/img443/4678/deadkingpt2.jpg

The day was won, and the Galwegians had seemingly won their freedom:

https://img337.imageshack.us/img337/3980/resultswb9.jpg

But the biggest shock of all was yet to come:

https://img337.imageshack.us/img337/279/scotlandgonehp2.jpg

Also a pic of a ferocious clash from another campaign which I call the battle of Dublin:

https://img337.imageshack.us/img337/6782/battleofdublinvf5.jpg

Which co-incidentally i was completely smashed at.

axel
04-18-2007, 21:18
Really nice mate really nice i cant waith to play mate:2thumbsup: :2thumbsup:

Radier
04-20-2007, 13:07
Looks awesome. Just waiting for a release! :smash:

04-21-2007, 11:39
Man has been added as the final faction. They replace Brittany but they will be in the late period. Here is pic of the campaign, a four way battle which i have rarely seen. If the rebels had not retreated it would have been a five way slug fest:

https://img134.imageshack.us/img134/2471/battleofthreenationseo9.jpg

Davidian
04-22-2007, 13:11
I cant wait.

Is it coming this month?

04-22-2007, 13:29
I will be giving it BETA tests soon and will be releasing it as soon as the sea problem is sorted out for the indian factions

Gimli
04-24-2007, 19:00
:knight::viking: I can't wait!!! :dizzy2: :beam:

04-24-2007, 19:06
Always nice to see new members mate, glad to see there's some interest in this. I'm pushing for a mid-May release at the minute; it'd be a lot of earlier if I didn't have so much Uni work to do.

It'll only be the first period initially mind.

Sardoniscorn
04-26-2007, 06:39
This is absolutely awesome news... Been eagerly awaiting this mod for a while, and for a while there I feared that maybe you had given up on It...
:2thumbsup: Cant wait for the release...

Veho Nex
04-26-2007, 16:19
BKB this is a fantastic looking mod and good work takes time so two years means this is gunna kick start MTW again(I think) any ways looks good

SkyElf
04-29-2007, 06:54
Looks Very Good it's been a long wait and will keep an eye open in May for the game! As it was indicated earlier it look like it was never going to come out. :yes:

:2thumbsup: :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup:

05-13-2007, 14:03
Just to let people know I reckon the first release is about a week away. I had to make some changes to the campaign map which are done now and there's now just one major problem troubling me, along with a few niggly ones and unfortunately many unit descriptions!

Antagonist
05-13-2007, 16:03
Awesome. Looking forward to it. :book:

Antagonist

fresco
06-01-2007, 20:27
@BKB:
I'm still waiting!!!!!
I can't wait!!!!
Your BKB Super Mod is fantastic,the top mod for MTW!!!!!!
Any estimated data release?

06-02-2007, 18:33
Just finished my last exam mate - all my efforts are now focused on this. Really not much left, I'm hoping maybe next week, but then again I keep saying that so its going to have to be when it's done I'm afraid.

Samurai Waki
06-03-2007, 06:54
Bah! Don't apologise mate. We're not the ones attending college, working and modding all at once. Take your time, MTW isn't going anywhere any time soon.

Midnight
06-09-2007, 08:29
BKB - I need to PM you a reply, but your Inbox is full. Could you please clear some space?

Mid.

06-09-2007, 10:33
Done mate, sorry about that.

Belisario
06-13-2007, 21:32
Hi Blind King of Bohemia!

I have a question about modding. I have been playing with the Reconquista Mod which covered the 1035-1453 period in the Iberian peninsula. I obtain CTD's when the game comes to the middle of the 12th century. These CTD's coincide whith some historical events which are linked to certain provinces (for instance the Great Fairs of Champagne which improve the wisdom of its ruler). The Reconquista Mod uses province entries type ID_LAND_REGION like the Viking campaign instead of ID_ProvinceName like the main campaign. I suspect that it is the cause of the CTD's. What type of province entry use you in Age of Warlords?

Regards

06-13-2007, 22:58
The usual mate, ID_PROVENCE and so forth, adding new ones for the 8 new provinces. However, I managed to get round the events issue so that they don't come up anymore, fairly simple but pretty effective.

Belisario
06-16-2007, 15:24
However, I managed to get round the events issue so that they don't come up anymore, fairly simple but pretty effective.

How is it made? I thought the historical events were hard-coded.

Belisario
06-18-2007, 19:04
BKB, I have been exploring Age of Warlords files and I have found the method that you followed to avoid the historical events: for MTW engine the game begins in 154 (startpos file), but the campaign interface shows the year 1154. I don't know how you did this last thing, perhaps some file in the Loc folder?

06-18-2007, 20:32
If you look in campmap mate, you will see I edited a file called status file I believe. I added a '1' to it that neatly prefaces the actual date, so the game will no longer bring up the events anymore.

Gimli
06-21-2007, 15:18
Just downloaded the mod and reinstalled MTW VI (I have been playing XL mod for a while) and can't wait to try it out! Is there going to be a second period or just Angevian? If so, does it have to be unlocked or is it not yet released? Once again, it looks great! :2thumbsup:

:knight:

Gimli
06-22-2007, 19:47
:help: Gotta question... I have been trying to play the Warlords Mod and just about every third time that I hit the "end turn" button, the game shuts down and dumps me to my desktop. I was just wondering if anyone knew what might be causing this and if so, what I can do to fix it. Thanks! :wall:

axel
06-22-2007, 20:44
Hi mate
at this moment BKB is trying to find out wot the problem is, this is a little problem wot everybody else have mate see other topic Age of Warlords, just be pacient it will be fixed as soon as possible

Belisario
06-24-2007, 19:26
If you look in campmap mate, you will see I edited a file called status file I believe. I added a '1' to it that neatly prefaces the actual date, so the game will no longer bring up the events anymore.

Thanks for your help BKB! :2thumbsup:

Gimli
06-25-2007, 14:03
Hi mate
at this moment BKB is trying to find out wot the problem is, this is a little problem wot everybody else have mate see other topic Age of Warlords, just be pacient it will be fixed as soon as possible

Thanks, I will just hang tight then! It looks really awesome! :2thumbsup:

axel
04-27-2008, 11:34
Hi BKB,

The CTD problem are you still looking for a solution of it? , or do you need feedback or is it sommething wot i or we cane do?

Greetings:2thumbsup:

axel
05-13-2008, 22:31
Any one got a solution????
this game is a lot of fun to play nice units, but it keeps ctd :furious3:

jp1747
08-12-2012, 20:03
Does anyone know where I can download this mod or have the files they can upload? I miss playing it.

drone
08-13-2012, 03:40
Does anyone know where I can download this mod or have the files they can upload? I miss playing it.
I have copies, and the Org should have them available somewhere, but I can't find a link at the moment. I'll ask the admins about the local copies, if we can't find them I'll do an upload. I would like to get them on our main host AtomicGamer, but they have a 10Mb limit and the 1.0 file is almost 300 Mb.

Thanks for the heads up, I thought I had working links for most of the mods. :bow:

Edit-> Updated working links in the AoW main thread here (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?87085-Age-of-Warlords&p=1577628&viewfull=1#post1577628).

jp1747
08-14-2012, 04:15
Thanks a ton! It's such a fun mod to play. Sorting through some CTD issues trying to play it on my more modern computer but it's been a nice stroll down memory lane. BKB was such a great modder. I wish he would have been able to finish his Age of Warlords project for Medieval II.