PDA

View Full Version : Awesome mod, anyone wonna schedule a game?

Alx
07-16-2005, 23:44
Hi, this mod is super-awesome ~:cheers: . I've played everything TW, and this is the most refined experience of them all. I won't praise you too much since I'm sure you already know how good it is ~;) . I have two questions though.

1) Is anyone interested in doing some battles? I wanted to post in the MP forum, but the last reply to the samurai thread there is a half a year ago. I'm not into sitting in the lobby hoping someone with the mod comes in, but if anyone wants to play, I'm up for scheduling something; reply here or send me a pm.

2) In regards to the campaign, I love it, but I must admit that there are too many hilly/mountainous regions for my tastes on which the AI bunches up in a clump in the corner. Is there an easy way to edit the map to have more plains?

L'Impresario
07-17-2005, 00:04
Hello and welcome ~:cheers:

Yes, this mod is maybe the most balanced TW experience, I'm sure you'd like the Community Mod as well, even without nice monk sprites heh

1) There are about 4-5 people with the mod (including me) that are around quite often (nowdays I'm on for 2 hours+ more than 4 days a week). Still, we play almost entirely VI due to the lobby being somewhat sparsely populated these days(40-60 people if there isnt any technical prob with GS- even with 150+ people around, mods weren't popular at all online, with only a couple of exceptions). Try 20 GTM or PM me and we can have some games, though in about a week I won't be available.
Maybe a Mizu or two (that's Puzz3D and CBR in the forums) could help you with finding players ~;)

2)If I 'm not wrong, you can edit the maps using the map-editor and solve your problem using your own creativity as they 'll work provided you don't change the map names~:) But be weary, and make a backup of your maps folder.
I too find the maps a bit unsuccessful into fully allowing a STW conversion but VI offers many larger maps anyway so no harm done.
EDIT: not due to them being too hilly; it's the size that's even smaller than the original that is a tad annoying.

Alx
07-17-2005, 07:02
Thanks! When you say "20 GTM" what does that mean? 8pm Greenwich time?

I couldn't find a map editor, so I went into startpos txt file and changed all borders to "flat" manually. Haven't played tested it yet, but I suppose it'll be a bit unfair to the factions that used to have hills, since this way they won't have a defensive advantage and at the same time not have the money of the true plains factions. Still, I find it highly debatable whether the AI uses this advantage vs other AI anyway, and vs a player it's "clump in the corner" battles.

barocca
07-17-2005, 07:24
well the regions were rather hilly,
still i agree
some of the maps are too hilly, there are more "flatter" hilly maps,

i will try to remember to keep an eye on things when i am bug terting the next version and try to even out the maps the game uses a little

cheers,
B.

L'Impresario
07-17-2005, 16:55
Thanks! When you say "20 GTM" what does that mean? 8pm Greenwich time?
Yes , although an hour before or after won't matter a lot, usually people gather at these times.

I couldn't find a map editor, so I went into startpos txt file and changed all borders to "flat" manually
Hmm, the map editor is already in game, IIRC in the single player menu?

Puzz3D
07-17-2005, 18:12
I haven't been hanging around the multiplayer lobby to promote Samurai Wars, but arrainging a time might work to get some team games played. Last time out CBR and I were outplayed by Alex and Sid. Either they got better or we got worse, but I'm glad that players can pick up on this mod and beat people who were involved in designing it. That indicates that the learning curve isn't too steep, and that a variety of playing styles are possible. In theory, good balance in both the unit types and between attacking vs defending should allow a variety of army types and playing styles to be effective.

I'd be available for Samurai Wars most days between 21:00 gmt and 24:00 gmt, and before 21:00 gmt on weekends. I would probably not play more than a couple of times a week since I'm into a couple of other games at this time.

I find most of the campaign maps to be fine. Attacking a hilly map is a challenge, and defending one helps when the AI has superior forces. You don't always get the same map in a battle for a province. For online play, we usually use large maps that have been designed by players and which have modest terrain features. These are available in mappack 1-3 (http://www.mizus.com/Files/k0rgs8gVt/MTW/Maps/MP_MapPackVol1-3.exe)

CBR
07-17-2005, 18:20
We weren't outplayed! The bastards just got lucky 3 times in a row ~D

CBR

L'Impresario
07-17-2005, 18:57
lol about a week later tho I teamed up with Hunds and you managed to win one out of two heh I must admit that I wanted to leave before that last game (being late and all) as I can sense when a loss is imminent;)

Either they got better or we got worse

Nah, it's neither of them. As it had been a rather long time since I had last played VI at all (and even longer with Sid as a teamate), I suppose that some conditions were favourable and the fact that they were so for 3 consecutive times underlines not only the quite fast learning curve- even for players completely unfamiliar with the original STW mp game- but also the chance of turning around games that in normal VI would be quite improbable. For example in steppes 10k 3v3 a good team has much more chances of winning easily vs a team comprised of persons that don't know each others' playing style or have a more "unorthodox" approach to the game.
And suffice to say, 3v3 or 2v2 Mizu mod teams are always very hard to beat for obvious reasons - although in 2v2 there are occasionaly more situations for the lesser team to take advantage of, still depends on players,maps,armies etc.

Puzz3D
07-17-2005, 22:16
lol about a week later tho I teamed up with Hunds and you managed to win one out of two heh I must admit that I wanted to leave before that last game (being late and all) as I can sense when a loss is imminent;)
So, you did let us win just so you could leave.

Nah, it's neither of them. As it had been a rather long time since I had last played VI at all (and even longer with Sid as a teamate)
That absence allowed you to forget some of the bad habits learned playing VI, and certain players just make natural teammates. I'll have to watch those replays because what you and Sid were doing in combination worked very well.