PDA

View Full Version : How To - Change the ownership of provinces

Myrddraal
01-22-2005, 15:07
How To - Change the ownership of provinces

Before you begin, it will help if you note down the name of the commander of the garison of the settlment you want to change the ownership of.

First go to:

If you want to edit the imperial campaign: Data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign
If you want to edit another campaign: Data/world/maps/campaign/my_modded_campaign

Now open up the file descr_strat.txt

Search for the faction you want to remove the province from. For example romans_scipii.

You should see these lines:

faction romans_scipii, bureaucrat napoleon
denari 5000

Then you should see a list of settlements in this format:

settlement
{
level
region

year_founded
population
settlement_tax
plan_set
faction_creator
building
{
[This is where the list of the buildings go]
}
}

Scroll down until you find the settlement you want to change the ownership of. For example this could be Sicilia_Romanus.

Hightlight the entire settlment (from the beginning of the word 'settlement' to the }), and cut it. Now search for the name of the faction you want to give the region to. For example, carthage.

Go to the end of their list of settlements and paste the settlement.

Now you need to change the garisons.

Go back to the first faction (e.g. romans_scipii), and scroll down to the armies section.
This should start with

caracter Cornelius Scipio,

Now look for the character who is garisoning the province. At the end of that line, there should be the co-ordinates of the location on the strat map of that character. Make a note of these.

Now you want to move him out of the town. An easy way of doing this is to give him the same co-ordinates as another general, but change the values by one or two.

The game should now work. BUT, the town will have no garison. To give it one, you will have to edit the armies of the new faction

Go to the second factions army area, and add a new character using this text:

character NAME, general, command 0, influence 0, management0, subterfuge, age 20, , x XCORD, y YCORD
army
unit UNIT NAME exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0

Change the capital NAME to a valid name for that faction, and the XCORD and YCORD to the coordinates of the town.
Change the UNIT NAME to the name of a valid unit for that faction.

You can add more units if you like.

There you go. Finished.

Myrddraal

PS, I may get some posts deleted here, its getting a bit clutered. Does anyone mind?

scorillo
02-02-2006, 22:21
Done that,but i've got a CTD when i choose to play as the gauls...the menu world map is also unchanged,samarbrovia is still owned by the britons...i tryied to change belgica region/samarbrovia....but like i said... CTD :no:..maybe i did something wrong...can u please help me ? i want to make samarbrovia gaulic or rebel settlement,insted of being owned by the britons
thank you

Seasoned Alcoholic
02-02-2006, 22:31
If you've followed the tutorial correctly, all you have to do now is delete map.rwm located @ C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\Data\world\maps\base

Once you start a new imperial campaign, the game will generate a new map.rwm for you, which will include all of the modifications you've made. This is why the game is CTD - the changes are invalid when the existing map.rwm is still present. You have to delete map.rwm everytime you wish to go into RTW and test out your changes.

If you still receive CTDs, then there is probably still an error present in the text files.

scorillo
02-02-2006, 22:45
Unfortunatelly yes, I still get CTDs.....i think i did something wrong in the text files...but thank you for you help,i'm sure i shell figure this out:bow:

scorillo
02-03-2006, 11:23
now i don't get CTDs i get CTM:laugh4: crash to menu....when i choose a faction to play in imperial campaign...it crashes to menu :laugh4:
can someone help me with the correct modded file ? i'll be very greatful
thanks

Seasoned Alcoholic
02-03-2006, 12:48
If you're not already, use -show_err to display error messages. Right-click RTW desktop shortcut, click Properties, select Shorcut tab, and simply add -show_err to the end (leave a space between what exists and -show_err).

A kick to menu (KTM) usually occurs after an error was discovered in one of the text files in the campaign folder. -show_err usually lets you know where the problem is, but not always (especially if there is more than one error present).

If you're relocating settlements, you need to make sure of the following:

* Copy and paste the desired settlement under the faction that you wish to occupy it
* Delete the original settlement's faction reference (otherwise you have the same settlement referenced by more than one faction)
* Relocate family members / generals on the campaign map using the X and Y coordinates
* Relocate agents in a similar way to family members
* Use relevant general names - ones that have not already been taken by another character. Use Ctrl+F to search for other names in descr_strat, and data\text\names to view the list of exisiting character names
* Possibly edit the settlement's faction creator to reflect the new faction owners (although you might get away with this if both factions are of the same culture)
* Assign / create an army to garrison the new settlement, change the X and Y coordinates as appropriate
* Ensure that the settlement's level is relevant to the core_building type

There are probably a few more issues that may be present, can't think of them at the moment ~D