PDA

View Full Version : Saladean Light Cavalry

Steppe Merc
07-29-2005, 03:06
I know that it has been said that the Saladeans had the best light cavalry. Does it ever say of what kind? I don't rember any detail descriptions of the types of cavalry Bashere brought with him. I was just wondering how you would depict their light cavalry, and what sorts of units that they will be able to recruit that the normal Boderlanders wouldn't.

Myrddraal
07-29-2005, 03:31
There are detailed descriptions of them, when they show off for Rand. They are basically light, but very very quick and agile, as well as lethal fighters.

They'll have excellent attack, good defence, but they will be vulnerable to archery and protracted engagements.

Loads of variety within the 'light cavalry' bracket such as sword -armed, lancers, javelinners and archers (most will be close-combat geared). The missile cavalry will be cpable of fighting at close quarters, but all are vulnerable in certain ways (eg to missile fire).

Andreas
07-29-2005, 15:22
You know, I didn't do any archers... should I add that?

Steppe Merc
07-29-2005, 18:12
They probably would have horse archers, I think. I mean, if even white cloaks and the Southerners have horse bows, and most of the Saladean heavy horse has horse bows, then a light cavalry nation would almost certaintly have horse archers. At least, that's what would make sense to me.

Andreas
07-29-2005, 18:33
You mean shienaran right? Well, I had javelins sinted for them to make them different from other nations:)

Steppe Merc
07-29-2005, 18:33
Yeah, I meant Shienarian, sorry. And javilens are good, but horse bows are the best. ~D

Steppe Merc
08-08-2005, 17:00
I think I've found proof that Saladeans would have used primarily horse archers.
From New Spring, Hardcover version:
pg 19 "Nearly all of the rest were tightening saddle girths or fastening leather-cased horsebows and full quivers behind the tall cantles of thier saddles. The slow had died in the first year fighting the Aiel. Most now were Saladeans and Kandori, the rest Domani."
Even more proof from the same book:
pg 21 "Without waiting for Lan's order, men drove thier lances point-down into the ground beneath the snow, where they could be snatched up again easily at need. Uncasing their horsebows, they pulled arrows from their quivers and nocked them, but did not draw".
This seems to show that all of his soldiers had horsebows.

Later on, Lan says that they are horn and sinew, like the Aiel. So at least the Borderlander's bows would be have quite long range.

Andreas
08-15-2005, 08:32
Ah yes, you are right... I add them as well.