PDA

View Full Version : demo mod:Jaffa scaled up

the Count of Flanders
07-02-2002, 13:25
mod by Tarrak:
download at: http://www.geocities.com/gert_corthout/mods.html

description:
Archers and Sailors are now Longbows. I wanted to use them, as well as they are very much needed now.
Footknights are now Billmen (60 with only 1/1 upgrades). A little better against cavalry and slightly faster but weaker against arrows (no shields) and infantry.
I have put myself in charge of the Royal Knights (24 now). Wanted to make them more important as it can be very challenging to NOT to use them.

Set Saladin to be in charge of the Royal Ghulams who now have upgrades (3/1) as well as he is now general, thus providing 2 honour levels to all units.
Peasants to 200. More infantry needed.
Infantry now all at 140. Same reason.
Added two units of Desert Archers of 140 men. They need more archers.
Added a Muwahid unit of 140 men.
Turcomans have 0/3 upgrades. So you can't wipe them out with the Longbows.
Camels have 130 men. Just so they don't run at first sight of combat.
Given 1/1 upgrades to both Ghulams, Mamlukes and Khwarazmian Cavalry. They were too weak before.

So all in all more troops and more challenge. It should really not be hard for any experienced Shogun player, but certainly more fun, as they just keep coming. You really have to watch who your Longbows fire at, they deplete too fast for you to waste fire on weak troops.
Also, you must take care when handling the Turcomans, they can devastate your Billmen.

DrNo
07-02-2002, 16:56
Good mod to the battle.

Only played it once so far but the ability of the enemy to swarm and surround you is much increased with the staying power of the units.

My Royal Knights chopped a Camel Unit down to at most 10 men before it routed.

Must go change my tatics.

Hirosito
07-02-2002, 19:50
jeez played it for the first time although i killed more than 2x the amount i lost i still got deafeated heavily. do you guys find this easy or am i just crap?

------------------
Hirosito Mori

Gentile or Jew
O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,
Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.

the Count of Flanders
07-02-2002, 20:08
It's a pretty hard battle. I beat it once in 3 tries: the time I beat it I managed to kill Saladin early on (thereby removing the honour bonus over the entire army).
My advices would be: keep all units close together, let your longbowmen shoot at strong units (not horse archers), use billemn to cover gaps in line/support wavering troops and use your knights to go after Saladin or as ultimate "stoppers" for opponents that are about to break through.

Kraxis
07-02-2002, 21:18
Something is wrong with my main account here, so I have to post under this name for now.

It is certainly not made to be easy. I made it so Jaffa would be a challenge to even good players.

Last night I lost three battles in a row, before finally winning a stunning victory (I lost only 114).

Today Saladin managed to stay in the battle until his unit was almost gone, that meant all the other units fought on for an impossible time. They actually eliminated one of my Billmen and a unit of Longbowmen.
I won... but I took only 280 prisoners, testiment to the morale of the enemy. On the other hand I killed just above 1500. Lost some 240 men.

Gothmog
07-02-2002, 21:22
NT

[This message has been edited by Gothmog (edited 07-02-2002).]

Hirosito
07-02-2002, 21:30
finished it on my third attempt. i kept my units even closer ( i see count advised that but i thought of it myself) and i killed saladin. the morale bonus is pretty big there.

men killed: 984
men taken: 274
men lost:179

king dick alive and kicking

the crossbows are so slow that they hadn't run out of ammo by the end of the battle. the longbows are also very important once they've run out.

------------------
Hirosito Mori

Gentile or Jew

UglyJun
07-02-2002, 22:54
good fun keep them coming hehehe http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
never born never died
http://fire.hoosac.com/~z/vimal/steffenssmall.JPG

[This message has been edited by Jun Tokugawa (edited 07-02-2002).]

Kraxis
07-03-2002, 04:33
Good you like it.

Actually I'm on my way to create another upgrade. This time I will try to use other more special units.

Hirosito
07-03-2002, 21:01
wicked,m teutonic knights please. oh no the english cant build them so forget that

------------------
Hirosito Mori

Gentile or Jew

JAG
07-04-2002, 00:56
ty

------------------
"...but one of them would make war rather than let the nation survive,
and the other would accept war rather than let it perish,
and the war came."

Abraham Lincoln, 2nd Inaugural Address
4 March 1865

Kraxis
07-04-2002, 16:23
Just last night I created a battle between an outnumbered Byzantine force against a massive Egyptian force in Bulgaria (yeah I know it is odd, I wanted Turks but couldn't find them).

It is rather easy, actually VERY easy, but it can help other to create their own battles... So I'll be sending it to the Count soon.

Action
07-06-2002, 00:51
Very fun battle, Those Billmen fought like devils, they gained two levels of honor, and killed like 280 for one and 170 for the other.

Total; 1100 killed 300 captured 150 lost.

MagyarKhans Cham
07-06-2002, 16:35
yup its still easy just throw the knights

07-06-2002, 18:24
eh? i did it first time (i'm not lying) all i did was move the spearmen behind my archers, and fight.

Heads Taken: 1003
Captured: 364
Men lost: 366

ShadesWolf
07-08-2002, 02:32
Below are two mods for the demo, please take a look, try them out and tell me what you think
www.members.aol.com/ihusselbee/jaffa.zip (http://www.members.aol.com/ihusselbee/jaffa.zip)

www.members.aol.com/ihusselbee/sicily_practice.zip (http://www.members.aol.com/ihusselbee/sicily_practice.zip)

Choco
07-09-2002, 04:36
Ughhh .. ShadesWolf I tried the Jaffa battle and the game crashed when downloading the scenario.

I am checking things to see how it works