PDA

View Full Version : MTW Mods-Opinions Please

Cannibal
08-04-2005, 22:55
My previous thread "Decision Time" has devolved into something that is not getting me the information I was seeking, which I know is largely my own fault.

So, without further ado; if anybody is using any of the MTW mods please let me know how it compares to the standard game. I'm most interested in the pros and cons versus the standard MTW campaign.

Come to my restaurant, where you're on the menu!

Cannibal

KukriKhan
08-04-2005, 23:12
I'll move this to the forum more likely to get you informed responses.

Cannibal
08-04-2005, 23:16
I'll move this to the forum more likely to get you informed responses.

I probably should have thought of that in the first place, d'oh!

Cannibal

Aenlic
08-05-2005, 08:15
I prefer just about any of the mods to the vanilla version of the game. A lot of great historical work has been done by the modders to create games which are more detailed and varied.

Blind King of Bohemia's BKB Super Mod has a lot of new factions, new buildings (stone masons etc.), new trade goods and new units, making it more challenging than the original game.

Viking Horde's XL mod has a new map with some new provinces, such as Scania on the south part of Sweden, and splitting Portugal into Algarve and Portucale, Cordoba into Cordoba and Murcia, Poland into greater and lesser, etc. Also many new units and a much different economic model, which decreases the reliance on sea trade which the AI doesn't handle well and increasing income from farm land which the AI can manage. The result is a much more challenging AI.

Wes Whitaker's MedMod (currently beta testing version 4) also has a new map with many changes, new factions and units. Perhaps the most intriguing part of MedMod is the huge change to the way factions build units. Factions have "homelands" which include their starting provinces plus other nearby provinces. That faction's troops can only be built in provinces that are in its homeland. So, for example, the English homelands are the British Isles and the west of France, plus Flanders. Thus with the proper buildings, the English can build their troops only in those provinces. If the English conquer far off Novogord, for instance, they can't build some buildings and begin creating longbowmen. This makes for a much more interesting strategic game. In addition, some special units are not so much faction specific as region specific. Steppe units like the steppe cavalry, can be built by more than one of the factions in that area, if they control the provinces which allow steppe units. The same for units like highland clansmen or gallowglaigh.

Cegorach's Pike and Musket mod takes place in the much later 15th-17th centuries and has many changes to the units as a result. It is also very absorbing and much mroe challenging than the original game.

The only other mod with which I'm somewhat familiar is the Italy mod by Fader_it. It takes place entirely in the area of Italy, with a completely new map for all of the various Italian factions. It's very different from the original game, being focused on a much smaller area.

There are many others in the works. Look in the Engineer's topic for the various mods. BKB is working on a newmod called Age of Warlords, there is a Middle Earth mod, a Fall of Rome mod, a Fury of the Northmen mod, Napoleonic era mod, a great mod about the Reconquista in the Iberian peninsula, and many more.

The Blind King of Bohemia
08-05-2005, 14:51
Blind King of Bohemia's BKB Super Mod has a lot of new factions, new buildings (stone masons etc.), new trade goods and new units, making it more challenging than the original game

My mod also includes three different maps for each period in case anyone is interested in downloading it.

Cannibal
08-05-2005, 14:54
Many thanks for your reply Aenlic.

I know there is a rich variety of mods available, but at this point I'm interested in staying in the period of the original game. I'm beginning to understand that there are principally three mods that I should look at: BKB, MedMod and XL-have I missed any?

I am particularly impressed with some of the changes that people are making to enable the AI to be a more interesting opponent. Clearly the mods make some very positive changes, but what are the drawbacks?

Cannibal

Aenlic
08-05-2005, 16:17
Sorry, BKB, I forgot to mention the new maps in your mod as well.

Cannibal, I can't really think of any substantial drawbacks to playing mods instead of the original. Some of the newer mods which might still be going through the final beta testing, might have occasional CTD glitches; but they're rare. I haven't had any CTD's in XL and BKB; and even in the beta of MMIV I no longer have CTDs. The modders have achieved amazing things while limited to only those parts of the game which aren't hard-coded.

I'm a big fan of all three mods you mentioned, BKB and XL and MMIV. They each have individual strengths and few, if any, weaknesses. I think it would be easier if you just tried them and decided which you like.

What I recommend is making yourself three copies of MTW:Viking Invasion (patched to 2.01) on your hardrive, by creating three new folders, named something like BKB, XL and MMIV. Then copy the patched MTW:VI folder Total War/Medieval Total War into each of them. Then rename your original MTW folder something like MTW instead of Total War (just in case you mess up and forget to change the default install path in the mod installations). Then download and try all three. Just remember to change the default path in the installer to the correct folder for the mod.

MMIV is currently in beta testing using just the Late era; but Wes should be finished soon and the complete mod with all three eras will be available. Meanwhile, you can check out an earlier version, which has the homelands economic and unit model but no new map, here:

download and install first: http://wes.apolyton.net/Medmod_IV_v3_Graphics.exe

download and install second: http://wes.apolyton.net/Medmod_IV_3.14.exe

and the main page which currently has the beta for version 4 on it is just: http://wes.apolyton.net You can check out the readme and unit files and stuff there as well.

Download BKB Super Mod here: http://www.mizus.com/Files/k0rgs8gVt/MTW/Stats/BKB%20Super%20Mod%20Version%202.0.exe

or here: http://www.3ddownloads.com/totalwar/MTW/Stats/BKB%20Super%20Mod%20Version%202.0.exe

after installing it, download the patch here: http://tosainu.demon.nl/files/files/MTW/Stats/BKB%20Super%20Mod%20Version%202.1%20Patch.exe

And for XL you can down the long version with a correct map here: http://www.3ddownloads.com/strategy-gaming/totalwar/MTW/Stats/VH_MTW_XL2_Full.exe

Or a shorter version without the new music files and a map which has the old province names, but still has the new provinces (which can be a bit confusing) here: http://www.3ddownloads.com/strategy-gaming/totalwar/MTW/Stats/VH_MTW_XL2_Light.exe

I believe that Viking Horde is finishing up a final update to XL. Also, BKB is working on his new mod Age of Warlords, which we are all eagerly awaiting, with a new map that includes parts of North America!

Cannibal
08-05-2005, 18:59
As much as I like what I've read about MedMod, I don't think it would be a great idea to use a mod that is in beta testing as a first, so I think I might try the earlier version to get my feet wet.

I'm stuck with dial up for now, so I'm wondering if any of these mods are availble on CD?

That's a great idea about creating multiple copies of MTW, I used to have multiple versions back in the early days when not everybody had VI. There used to be some great battle movies that you could dowmnload and watch (I don't remember where I got them), but some were pre VI and some were post VI.

Cannibal

VikingHorde
08-05-2005, 19:27
As much as I like what I've read about MedMod, I don't think it would be a great idea to use a mod that is in beta testing as a first, so I think I might try the earlier version to get my feet wet.

I'm stuck with dial up for now, so I'm wondering if any of these mods are availble on CD?

That's a great idea about creating multiple copies of MTW, I used to have multiple versions back in the early days when not everybody had VI. There used to be some great battle movies that you could dowmnload and watch (I don't remember where I got them), but some were pre VI and some were post VI.

Cannibal

The small version of the XL mod can be downloaded here and it's only about 28Mb in size:
http://www.3ddownloads.com/strategy-gaming/totalwar/MTW/Stats/VH_MTW_XL2_Light.exe

cegorach
08-06-2005, 10:51
Cegorach's Pike and Musket mod takes place in the much later 15th-17th centuries and has many changes to the units as a result. It is also very absorbing and much mroe challenging than the original game.

I am using WesW's homeland idea and more developed buildable mercenaries as well.

Relese 2.0 soon - more challenging, more units, much more new unit graphics etc. :bow: :charge:

Cannibal
08-06-2005, 21:07

I am using WesW's homeland idea and more developed buildable mercenaries as well.

Relese 2.0 soon - more challenging, more units, much more new unit graphics etc. :bow: :charge:

Cegorach: thanks for letting me know, that might be the direction I head for later after trying out one (or maybe all three) of the mods for the original period of the game.

Viking Horde: I was asking about mods on CD because I didn't want to have to struggle with a huge download if I didn't have to. Having a small version of the XL Mod is a great idea, but I want to have the full version of the mod if I can possibly get it.

Cannibal

VikingHorde
08-07-2005, 12:54
Viking Horde: I was asking about mods on CD because I didn't want to have to struggle with a huge download if I didn't have to. Having a small version of the XL Mod is a great idea, but I want to have the full version of the mod if I can possibly get it.

Cannibal
It is sadly not possible to send the mod to you, but maybe you know someone who has a faster connection you can borrow ~;) . The gameplay of the small and large versions are the same (has all the new provinces, units, ect.). The small one does not have new music and lacks an updated background map with the new province names on it. The new provinces are however there, sounds odd I know ~;) .

Aurelian
08-08-2005, 19:17
I'm on dial-up too, and it does take quite a while to download mods, but I just let it go overnight. If your problem is that your connection cuts off while you're downloading a big file, you can get free download manager programs that will resume downloading where you left off. I've got one called 'GetRight' that works well. Actually, I haven't had to use it for a while because I switched to Firefox as my browser, and that does a good job with downloads.

As for the mods themselves, I've got both XL and Super Mod installed at the moment. It's worth trying both because they reflect different design decisions. They're both hugely better than vanilla MTW. Better maps, more factions, higher difficulty. Overall, a more rich and engaging environment than the standard game. There's really no reason to play the regular game when you've got these mods available.

For a complete change of era, try the "Fall of Rome" mod, and "Hellenic Total War". I really enjoyed both of those mods.

I haven't had the pleasure of trying "Pike & Musket" yet. I'll be sure to get that as soon as 2.0 comes out. I'm also looking forward to Wes's new MedMod and BKB's new mod.

ToranagaSama
08-08-2005, 20:40
Cannibal

I don't know why Wes took down the links to the 3.14 version, as many people would think as Cannibal.

Not sure about the other mods, but the version of the MedMod you use will depend upon the what version of Medieval you have.

For the latest MedMod versions, including the beta, you will need Viking Invaison. If you don't have VI, the you can use MedMod version 1.85. You just need a patched version of MTW (1.1).

Luck!

Samurai Waki
08-09-2005, 00:40
If you are interested in mods from other periods aside from Medieval or Cegorach's mod check out Napoleon Total War at www.thelordz.co.uk also check out Hellenic Total War which is also good fun, and has a relatively balanced and challenging ai. You can find Hellenic Total War at http://www.hellenictotalwar.com/pages/htwpag.html

Have Fun!

~Waz

Cannibal
08-09-2005, 01:09
I'm on dial-up too, and it does take quite a while to download mods, but I just let it go overnight. If your problem is that your connection cuts off while you're downloading a big file, you can get free download manager programs that will resume downloading where you left off. I've got one called 'GetRight' that works well. Actually, I haven't had to use it for a while because I switched to Firefox as my browser, and that does a good job with downloads.........

Thanks for the idea, Aurelian. I used to have a download manager program that worked very well, but unfortunately since I upgraded to the XP and the latest version of MSN, none of them work! MSN have now shoved their own download manager in (which doesn't work half the time), and it seems to prevent you using any other.

Cannibal

Cannibal
08-09-2005, 01:16
I don't know why Wes took down the links to the 3.14 version, as many people would think as Cannibal.

Not sure about the other mods, but the version of the MedMod you use will depend upon the what version of Medieval you have.

For the latest MedMod versions, including the beta, you will need Viking Invaison. If you don't have VI, the you can use MedMod version 1.85. You just need a patched version of MTW (1.1).

Luck!

I have VI patched up to date (?) with 2.01. It's funny because I had looked at the Medmod site before and decided that I would go for 3.14 until 4.0 comes out of beta testing. I got set up for a long download this morning and couldn't find it.

I know that Apolyton host the site, so maybe they asked Wes to remove it to save bandwidth?

Cannibal

Samurai Waki
08-09-2005, 03:18
seems to be working fine for me ~:)

wes.apolyton.net

Aenlic
08-09-2005, 06:29
Yeah, still there for me too. Are you sure that you're using the following links? They both work just fine for me. I just re-downloaded both files.

Download and install first:

MedMod IV v3 graphics - http://wes.apolyton.net/Medmod_IV_v3_Graphics.exe

Download and install second:

MedMod IV v3 text files - http://wes.apolyton.net/Medmod_IV_3.14.exe

Good luck.

[GG]Lord Ashram
08-09-2005, 07:51
When this mod is released it will rock... American Total War:

For a preview of the American Civil War era in the mod, including screenshots and a unit by unit preview, see this link:

http://forum.thelordz.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=4309

For a preview of the American War for Independece era in the mod, including screenshots and a unit by unit preview, see this link:

http://forum.thelordz.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=4310

[GG] Lord Ashram

Hôjô Ujimara
08-09-2005, 12:03
I'm stuck on choosing one too. I was active earlier this year on the Official Forums, and I was also active here, but I lost my password and sign-up email.

I am stuck between MedMod, BKB Super and XL. None of the others appeal to me.

MedMod

Ahh... The first mod I ever installed for MTW back in the day. I checked out Wes' site and read the ReadMe for the factions. It doesn't look too bad, and from what I can see it is still being worked on.

XL Mod

The mod I installed when I went back to Medieval after the Rome letdown. I was really surprised, this mod drew me in. I liked the concept, and the map and factions and such were pretty damn good too.

BKB Super

I decided to copy a new install of MTW to play this alongside the XL mod. I must say.... Amazing work gone into it, and the three separate maps idea is genius. And the new factions, I was like "WOW..........*speechless from hereon*....."

I'm still stuck, so what do you think I should do? Install all three?

The Blind King of Bohemia
08-09-2005, 14:16
The best advice i can dude is try 'em all. There are some great mods for medieval (try fall of rome mate, it is a great mod and my fav for medieval) and they should all be looked at.

The Hellenic and Napoleonic mod are stunning mods and should be looked at as well. The middle earth mod should be downloaded just to see the genius of the units and battle-maps.

Hôjô Ujimara
08-09-2005, 14:53
I just installed the Samurai mod... but it keeps dying on me....

Cannibal
08-09-2005, 15:50
Yeah, still there for me too. Are you sure that you're using the following links? They both work just fine for me. I just re-downloaded both files.

Download and install first:

MedMod IV v3 graphics - http://wes.apolyton.net/Medmod_IV_v3_Graphics.exe

Download and install second:

MedMod IV v3 text files - http://wes.apolyton.net/Medmod_IV_3.14.exe

Good luck.

Thanks Aenlic and Wazikashi,

I just paid a visit to wes.apolyton.net, and things have changed. I can readily get any of the version IV beta test modules, but I don't think I'd make a very good beta tester as I have very little experience with mods.

I was looking at the last COMPLETE mod a couple of days ago, and it was listed as Medmod III version 3.14 (I think). That link has disappeared, and the only version I can find other than the brand new beta test is something called Medieval mod IV v 2.04-is this what version 3.14 has been renamed to?

Sorry if I'm being dense, but it's a little confusing when all the mods are called "Medieval mod IV". Version 4 is obviously the beta test version, so are we now saying that version 2.04 is the last complete version? What happened to version 3.14, or did I daydream that?

Cannibal

Aenlic
08-09-2005, 18:32
There isn't a link to version 3 on Wes' site anymore; but it's still there. Just click on the two links in my post above and select save or run. ;) Save is best in case you need to install it again at some later date; so you won't have to remember what the address is, since there isn't a link to it on Wes' page anymore. Remember to install the graphics first, then the text files.

Version 2 doesn't include the homelands. Version 3 has homelands. Version 4 will have homelands, a new map, and many new factions and heroes.

ToranagaSama
08-09-2005, 21:28
Aenlic,

Thank you for the links. I've got copies of most every Wes put up, but those copies are on a drive I can't access at the moment. Darn, I thought finally I was going to be motivated to fix it, but nope! ;) Turning back to MTW and the MedMod, did cause me to fix my CD-ROM issues (faulty cable).

Thanks!

Aenlic
08-10-2005, 00:37
I'm pretty sure that I've seen MedMod IV v3.14 in the uploads section here as well (maybe in the July '04 backups), but finding it again is more difficult than just using those links.

I'm going to feel guilty now for causing you to not fix your old HD issues, TS! ~;)

Pericles
08-13-2005, 00:49
After playing the vanilla version of mtw for a couple of years I am now seriously going to play all the mods.

Right now I am playing Hellenic Total War v3.1. It is a blast. Currently working my way through all of the Historic Battles. Next will come the Historic Campaigns, and then I'll play the long campaigns...

I love ancient warfare, so playing a battle in which Macedonian long-speared phalanxes appear, is a wish come true... and those battle maps are great...

:charge:

ColIndyJones1958
02-14-2011, 19:36
Dear King:

This is Indy. I am most certainly interested in downloading your fantastic sounding mod, but I have a couple of questions.

1) Is this mod a zip or an .exe file? I seem to have a better time with .exe files.

2) For what version of MTW is this mod--MTWI or MTWII?

Live long and prosper, take care and thank you kindly!!!!

Sincerely yours always,

Indy.

huth
02-15-2011, 01:59
Wow, kinda old thread you've found, Indy :)

If you ask about BKB mod - it's a mod for Medieval with Viking Invasion expansion(M:VI v2.01), and it is in an .exe file. Exactly two files: BKB 2.0 and BKB 2.1 patch. Installing them takes awhile.
Here's link: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?30858-BKB-Super-Mod

Raz
02-15-2011, 02:12
Dear King:

This is Indy. I am most certainly interested in downloading your fantastic sounding mod, but I have a couple of questions.

1) Is this mod a zip or an .exe file? I seem to have a better time with .exe files.

2) For what version of MTW is this mod--MTWI or MTWII?

The mod was last updated on the same week that Medieval II: Total War was first conceived. Thus it can be concluded that the mod is for the first MTW. The installation is an .exe file.

Axalon
04-27-2011, 17:49
As this thread is seemingly resurrected, I'll update
it with some info about MTW-Redux etc....
---------------------------------------------------------

The original MTW strikes me as the easiest version available while Redux is clearly among the hardest and most challenging versions around (that I have seen since 2002) – the differences are drastic, extensive and radical. Redux is about quality in parts, rather then quantity in parts. It is about making battles harder, tougher, more exciting, dramatic and lethal.

It is also about making the overall game more interesting, more complex and diverse and less standardized and predictable. The game-pacing is faster and circumstances more dangerous in Redux. To that end, virtually everything has somehow been reworked and changed. The appearance has also been changed all over to be more attractive – or that is at least what I had in mind with it. Not everybody likes a harder and tougher game that is more diverse, but I think people should try it all the same just to find out.

Redux offers a new and fresh take on MTW, and it certainly does provide a different experience. Hopefully people will like it. Redux has a sub-forum (with screens and threads) just around the corner over at the MTW hosted-mods-area and it is open for business for anybody interested (click my Sig to get there). As for all the details in Redux, just download it and explore it for yourself - that is the easiest and fastest way anyhow - and I would be surprised if you were sorry for it.

Note: Redux is compatible to ALL official versions of MTW…

On general terms, I'll echo BKB's words, the best way to find out which of the major works made for MTW appeals to you the most, is to try them all and see for yourself (and there is plenty of interesting stuff around anyway). After all, people do have different opinions and preferences - and not all people get excited and entertained by the same thing….

Furthermore, I would like to point out that there is also a major fantasy-themed alteration developed (currently Beta-version) as well for MTW…. Hyborian Age - Total War by Omar Pacha. It has a fresh new map, troops and loads of other stuff - all set in R.E.Howards Hyborian world. Well worth some checking out too I think (look for sticky in this section)… :wink2:

- Cheers