PDA

View Full Version : Can this game simulate Agincourt

StudUK
07-22-2002, 13:28
I was watching documentary on the battle of Agincourt. I far as I inderstand it was basically Longbow archers that played a major part in defeating the French with the aid of boggy terrain and wooden stakes placed in front of the archers.

I was just wonder if this up and coming game would be able to re-create all this. At the moment I picture if I placed all the units involved in this battle, the English archers would get stampled on, the french knights would reach their target before any real damaged would be felt by the archers. Are others factors simulated?

Your views please http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by StudUK (edited 07-22-2002).]

DrNo
07-22-2002, 15:59
It is a problem when obstacles are needed.

The only way I could see to simulate this would be to have the knights coming steep uphill, but that restricts longbow aim, or alternatively by modding the killing power of the longbow or slowing the knights down you would get the same effect.

I think features like spike pits, wooden stakes and boggy terrain would be good features to add to MTW and would quite possible to do.
For boggy terrain it would simply be a case of the movement calc engine treating as a steep upward slope no matter which direction you were moving in.

Wooden stakes would be basically a wall that arrows could pass through.

Spike pits .. mmm.. not sure, maybe not such a good idea afterall.

One other way is to have peasents in front of the longbows to hold the knights for a while. You would have to have high honour for Peasents so they don't run, but not so high in relation to other troops that they kill knights.
i.e. put honour of all units up to at least 5.